Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mysterious frankie
Jan 11, 2009

This displeases Dev- ..van. Shut up.

A Gnarlacious Bro posted:

It's called the soyface

Ohhhh that’s what they were talking about in those lovecraft chapo eps. Well I don’t like it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Giga Gaia
May 2, 2006

360 kickflip to... Meteo?!

mysterious frankie posted:

Ohhhh that’s what they were talking about in those lovecraft chapo eps. Well I don’t like it.

theres that one pic of a guy dislocating his jaw like a snake because he got a nintendo switch or something. its gross. someone post it tia

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

Probably Magic posted:

This is the stupidest loving feud imaginable, made all the more stupid by the fact that social media keeps advertising it to me because it knows I'm a loving geek and therefore assumes this is the most singular thing I could possibly be invested in when holy poo poo do I not care at this point.

culture war bullshit never ends just takes in new forms. Now you will see a ton of people who pretend they care about monopolies for a bit

A Gnarlacious Bro
Apr 25, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Probably Magic posted:

This is the stupidest loving feud imaginable, made all the more stupid by the fact that social media keeps advertising it to me because it knows I'm a loving geek and therefore assumes this is the most singular thing I could possibly be invested in when holy poo poo do I not care at this point.

Don't you want to join the discourse?

Farm Frenzy
Jan 3, 2007

its just a continuation fo the joker discourse which ended dissapointingly when the movie wasnt good or bad enough to be funny

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Probably Magic posted:

Weirdly social media does not advertise it to me despite the entirety of my Twitter being me howling about comics

A Gnarlacious Bro
Apr 25, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
The Joker discourse clamming up immediately was actually one of the few acts of self control I've ever seen in the media blogger class. People do really treat superhero movies like secular religion now though, like something that you should "stay in your lane" because of all the support-system fandom communities around it.

mysterious frankie
Jan 11, 2009

This displeases Dev- ..van. Shut up.

Farm Frenzy posted:

its just a continuation fo the joker discourse which ended dissapointingly when the movie wasnt good or bad enough to be funny

Twice I have planned to see The Joker and twice I have decided not to for reasons like “the brown line was going to be five minutes late” and “I would rather clean my apartment a little more before company arrives.” I’ll probably watch it on streaming, unless it doesn’t come to hbo and I’d have to spend seven dollars on amazon to rent it.

This concludes my viewless review.

Serf
May 5, 2011

they stopped talking about joker because they fear class analysis

KomradeX
Oct 29, 2011

A Gnarlacious Bro posted:

The Joker discourse clamming up immediately was actually one of the few acts of self control I've ever seen in the media blogger class. People do really treat superhero movies like secular religion now though, like something that you should "stay in your lane" because of all the support-system fandom communities around it.

I actually wonder if the Joker Discourse ending so quickly is a mix of not actually wanting to talk class politics and product is consumed, get excited for next product

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
the joker isn’t a bad movie it’s just unfocused. Like the writer had ideas but that’s it. Some people like it because it’s vaguely woke but it never really goes anywhere with it.

though you should check out the jokers last speech because it’s hilarious and so dumb

A Gnarlacious Bro
Apr 25, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Serf posted:

they stopped talking about joker because they fear class analysis

You're probably right there.

I do kinda feel like people get really bent out of shape now whenever the media discourse doesn't come to decisive culture war climax. Like the discourse hype that builds up around things becomes more "exciting" when you imagine it angering the chuds. There was a recent Kotaku article where the author could not enjoy the "sociopathic" goose game without imagining she was tormenting Brexiters.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
Chilean protesters donning Joker make-up, while simultaneously not getting paid any attention to in the media, at least to me, says that people did get the correct message out of that movie.

And that it wasn't the message that all the pearl-clutching shitlibs thought it was going to be.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

people did the same thing for the last joker despite his position being even vaguer so I think people just want to dress up as clowns.

which you do you

A Gnarlacious Bro
Apr 25, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

gradenko_2000 posted:

Chilean protesters donning Joker make-up, while simultaneously not getting paid any attention to in the media, at least to me, says that people did get the correct message out of that movie.

And that it wasn't the message that all the pearl-clutching shitlibs thought it was going to be.

Lebanon too, and I like the new makeup a lot better on dudes throwing rocks.

Serf
May 5, 2011

CharlestheHammer posted:

people did the same thing for the last joker despite his position being even vaguer so I think people just want to dress up as clowns.

which you do you

wait, people were writing "damaged" on their foreheads and going to left-wing protests? wow

KiteAuraan
Aug 5, 2014

JER GEDDA FERDA RADDA ARA!

Joker is just a mediocre remake of 1987 classic Funland.

Probably Magic
Oct 9, 2012

Looking cute, feeling cute.

BENGHAZI 2 posted:

Weirdly social media does not advertise it to me despite the entirety of my Twitter being me howling about comics

it's terrible and makes me feel like poo poo, like i have created a content hell of my own making

They're also advertising all the new Hickman X-Men stuff at me though so it's not all bad.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Probably Magic posted:

it's terrible and makes me feel like poo poo, like i have created a content hell of my own making

They're also advertising all the new Hickman X-Men stuff at me though so it's not all bad.

Again, just scream into the Twitter void but don't follow comics people, problem solved

Granted all my screaming is about 2000ad and cap being a lib

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

Serf posted:

i started watching "succession" and this is like watching a documentary about aliens. setting aside the fact that i'm tired of media trying to get me to think that rich people have problems, i just can't understand anyone's motivations. the main guy loses his loving mind because his dad wants to keep being in charge and its like... okay?? who the gently caress wants MORE responsibility? these people are all billionaires, but they're cutting throats so they can do more loving work. is this mental illness? is it genetic? who wants to have people asking them questions and asking them to make decisions? that's the absolute opposite of what i want, and the idea that someone with more money than god would actively seek out more work is incomprehensible to me

https://twitter.com/electrolemon/status/1182047291084959744?s=20

Serf
May 5, 2011

https://twitter.com/ballmatthew/status/1187000201128615936?s=20

soon it will be racist to not like marvel movies

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

Black Panther isn't on the same level as Scorcese and Coppola. *I make the crucifixion pose as I'm carried off to be burned at the stake by an angry mob of soyboys in Iron Man tshirts*

MizPiz
May 29, 2013

by Athanatos

The family's name is actually Roy? I'm guessing the rest of the show is about as subtle.

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
if you mail in 5 marvel movie ticket stubs we’ll send you a free n-word pass

Serf
May 5, 2011

all other things aside, black panther is a movie that glorifies the cia and whitewashes our history of intervention and imperialism

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

if you want to get the message of Leto's Joker then just watch the Purple Lamborghini video

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZkqyIoYAXV8

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

Serf posted:

all other things aside, black panther is a movie that glorifies the cia and whitewashes our history of intervention and imperialism

i genuinely dont get the collective internet sucking it off when it came out. like alright it's nice to have minority representative in an extremely white industry, but uh that doesn't excuse shitlib n cia apologism

michael b jordan was real cool but the rest of the movie sucked

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

MizPiz posted:

The family's name is actually Roy? I'm guessing the rest of the show is about as subtle.

The pilot is at least

Serf
May 5, 2011

Xaris posted:

i genuinely dont get the collective internet sucking it off when it came out. like alright it's nice to have minority representative in an extremely white industry, but uh that doesn't excuse shitlib n cia apologism

michael b jordan was real cool but the rest of the movie sucked

yeah, michael b jordan is always cool. come of the visuals and costume design was sick. but then at the end the last fight looked like a ps2 cutscene and it was embarrassing

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

The big battle in Wakanda literally hinged on the duty bound all-female honor guard turning on Killmonger because he had GONE TOO FAR. And it wasn't planned for or anything, it was just a spur of the moment reaction that made them defy the one ritual combat that has decided who has the right to rule for all of Wakanda's history.

A Gnarlacious Bro
Apr 25, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Serf posted:

https://twitter.com/ballmatthew/status/1187000201128615936?s=20

soon it will be racist to not like marvel movies

I mean it already effectively is.

Serf
May 5, 2011

also he went too far by *checks notes* trying to arm and support anti-establishment uprisings across the globe??

A Gnarlacious Bro
Apr 25, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
By "Don't let the perfect be the enemy of the good" logic and the drive to skewer chuds from a place of power.

A Gnarlacious Bro
Apr 25, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Serf posted:

also he went too far by *checks notes* trying to arm and support anti-establishment uprisings across the globe??

How these movies inoculate you against supporting ideas like this is show them as sympathetic but also an impossible dream that will get marginalized people killed because of how unserious it is.

A Gnarlacious Bro
Apr 25, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Also in black panther they frame revolution as a toxic masculinity thing, which is why the honor guard of women has to contra it.

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002

Serf posted:

this, also it ends with black panther replacing low-income housing with a school where kids can lrn2code IIRC

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

Serf posted:

wait, people were writing "damaged" on their foreheads and going to left-wing protests? wow

you know I was talking about ledger, no one gives the slightest gently caress about leto

A Gnarlacious Bro
Apr 25, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Son of Thunderbeast posted:

this, also it ends with black panther replacing low-income housing with a school where kids can lrn2code IIRC

That being the ending made me bust a gut laughing

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

Son of Thunderbeast posted:

lmfao i loving forgot about that

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Serf
May 5, 2011

CharlestheHammer posted:

you know I was talking about ledger, no one gives the slightest gently caress about leto

i absolutely did not know that, the world is wild right now