Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you

10 Beers posted:

My wife and I are looking to get rid of our old plastic food storage containers and move to glass so they last longer. We'll need multiple sizes so some kind of combo set, I'm guessing. Any suggestions?

Costco frequently has big variety packs of Pyrex, but I've found that those lids aren't perfectly airtight. If you're storing leftover curry in your fridge, that may be a problem. The rectangle ones with the 4 "wings" on the lid I've found are better at getting airtight seals.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

10 Beers posted:

My wife and I are looking to get rid of our old plastic food storage containers and move to glass so they last longer. We'll need multiple sizes so some kind of combo set, I'm guessing. Any suggestions?

Are you talking about bulk storage for things or more like leftovers in deli containers? Bulk storage in glass is going to be a little costly, but there are often deals for glass leftover sets. I picked up https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01N4K8HQ1/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1 on sale like a year ago and they've held up well, though sometimes the lids can be trouble to attach if they weren't cleaned well.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!

10 Beers posted:

Thing to know about glass is that the glass part will last forever but the lids break down over time from the dishwasher and microwave. That said, we have a Rubbermaid set that has lasted a long time, 10 years or more. We also have Pyrex set but as mentioned previously the lids do not seal well, become loose over time, and break down relatively quickly; also the glass is thinner.

https://www.amazon.com/Rubbermaid-Storage-Containers-22-Piece-1865887/dp/B00U1CANAY/

Pron on VHS
Nov 14, 2005

Blood Clots
Sweat Dries
Bones Heal
Suck it Up and Keep Wrestling
The Pyrex lids suck rear end and break constantly

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe
Glass lock and others with the four wings and rubber gaskets are awesome. There are a few clones out there that all work interchangeably

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!
Don't put the lids in the dishwasher/microwave

I bought two sets of 5 36 oz rectangular glass ones and theyve been fantastic.

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

No Wave posted:

Don't put the lids in the dishwasher/microwave

Jokes on you, I don't own either!

God I need a bigger/better kitchen.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
I put lids in the dishwasher all the time and have not had any problems. I use Pyrex with rubber seals in the plastic lids and Rubbermaid Brilliance

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

Steve Yun posted:

I put lids in the dishwasher all the time and have not had any problems. I use Pyrex with rubber seals in the plastic lids and Rubbermaid Brilliance

its a problem for the older pyrex lid style which seals well enough to keep food in the fridge but not well enough to not leak in your bag on the way to work

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
Throw them all out and get containers with rubber seals!

10 Beers
May 21, 2005

Shit! I didn't bring a knife.

Thanks guys!

Skyarb
Sep 20, 2018

MMMPH MMMPPHH MPPPH GLUCK GLUCK OH SORRY I DIDNT SEE YOU THERE I WAS JUST CHOKING DOWN THIS BATTLEFIELD COCK DID YOU KNOW BATTLEFIELD IS THE BEST VIDEO GAME EVER NOW IF YOULL EXCUSE ME ILL GO BACK TO THIS BATTLECOCK
https://www.amazon.com/Instant-Pot-Plus-Programmable-Sterilizer/dp/B075CYMYK6?th=1

This is on Amazon's dumb treasure truck thing. I like the idea of a small (I am single man) cookery product. Is instant pot really as amazing as people say it is?

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you

Skyarb posted:

https://www.amazon.com/Instant-Pot-Plus-Programmable-Sterilizer/dp/B075CYMYK6?th=1

This is on Amazon's dumb treasure truck thing. I like the idea of a small (I am single man) cookery product. Is instant pot really as amazing as people say it is?

Yeah I use mine all the time. My bro in law spent a month cooking on one while living in a hotel for work (banking all those sweet per diem dollars)

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

Skyarb posted:

yes but wait for a better sale in nov-dec

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

Skyarb posted:

It is a fancy crockpot/hyperbolic time chamber. They're pretty good, the real thing that people love them for is that you don't need to be a great chef to get decent results out of one. 3 quarts is super super small though.

Skyarb
Sep 20, 2018

MMMPH MMMPPHH MPPPH GLUCK GLUCK OH SORRY I DIDNT SEE YOU THERE I WAS JUST CHOKING DOWN THIS BATTLEFIELD COCK DID YOU KNOW BATTLEFIELD IS THE BEST VIDEO GAME EVER NOW IF YOULL EXCUSE ME ILL GO BACK TO THIS BATTLECOCK

Nephzinho posted:

It is a fancy crockpot/hyperbolic time chamber. They're pretty good, the real thing that people love them for is that you don't need to be a great chef to get decent results out of one. 3 quarts is super super small though.

Yeah it is small but if I am only cooking for myself it seems kinda perfect.

edit: There are tons of different models for instant pot I am realizing, some which even have sous vide settings (Which I love, I use SV often). How accurate is SV on these? Is there a model I should shoot for?

Skyarb fucked around with this message at 19:03 on Oct 23, 2019

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

Skyarb posted:

Yeah it is small but if I am only cooking for myself it seems kinda perfect.

You can fill a larger one and have leftovers, you can use it when you have company, or you could just not fill it all the way and still cook for 1. Going with the tiny model removes your options - always buy bigger than you need when it comes to pots.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words
I'm also single, my instant pot is regular size, and if anything it's too small. Imo the real pro move for solo cooking is to make a bunch of leftovers to have during the week. This past weekend I made a bunch of beets in my instant pot, and I'm having them on and off for dinners this week.

For meat specifically, a lot of cuts that benefit most from an instant pot are too big to fit in a small one, like pork shoulders or briskets.

I agree, wait for Christmastime sales for a much better price. Check out the pressure cooking thread in the meantime https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3704340

Anne Whateley fucked around with this message at 20:02 on Oct 23, 2019

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

If prices are that good at Christmas I'll probably buy the biggest one just because my current crockpot is way too small. During the kitchen merger we kept my wife's because it had a little matching one for sauces, despite the fact that it can't fit a pork shoulder without major trimming. I feel like its been enough time that I can quietly replace it if I can resist saying I Told You So.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
I am single, I have a 6quart and will soon have an 8 quart. I batch cook often, and throw half a dozen big parties every year.

Verisimilidude
Dec 20, 2006

Strike quick and hurry at him,
not caring to hit or miss.
So that you dishonor him before the judges

Been using my roommates vitamix and it’s incredible. I made a butternut sage purée and the texture was perfect. Highly recommend.

Ended up making steak sous vide yesterday over the purée and salad.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!

Skyarb posted:

If mine broke today I would order a replacement today. I don't know if it's any better than any other electric pressure cooker but it works as I expect it should and it's priced well. We use ours to make yogurt, stews, curries, pulled pork, stock, lots of stuff. It's not a miracle device, if you are a poo poo cook you'll still be a poo poo cook. It's just a very good kitchen appliance.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat

Public service announcement: Ball has new leak proof plastic lids for mason jars. They are not leak proof. They are still hard plastic with no gaskets.

Arcsech
Aug 5, 2008
Amazon has a couple refurb Vitamix blenders as their deal of the day with what looks like a pretty decent discount, $$200 for an analog one and $260 for a Bluetooth one that connects to an app.

Verisimilidude
Dec 20, 2006

Strike quick and hurry at him,
not caring to hit or miss.
So that you dishonor him before the judges

Any recs for solid kitchen blowtorches under $20?

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

Verisimilidude posted:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B018WQNX8E/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I got this like two years ago, its fine.

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

Verisimilidude posted:

i think if you plan on using it for anything big (like if you are searing things or using it for long periods) it's worth paying the additional $20 to get a bernzomatic whatever because they last forever, are easy to refill, and have an insanely strong flame relative to the little creme brulee torches

Brother Tadger
Feb 15, 2012

I'm accidentally a suicide bomber!

Also, you can use the benzo for cool stuff, like buying cedar planks, lighting them on fire, and placing a glass over it then using it for a smoky old fashioned.

Happiness Commando
Feb 1, 2002
$$ joy at gunpoint $$

Get a cheaper bernzomatic than the one suggested above and use the money you saved on something extravagant, like gold leaf.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
the more expensive one can use mapp+ gas which rules for lighting charcoal

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
Yeah if you don’t mind swinging the extra cash the TS8000 is awesome

Empty Sandwich
Apr 22, 2008

goatse mugs

:orks101:

Lawnie
Sep 6, 2006

That is my helmet
Give it back
you are a lion
It doesn't even fit
Grimey Drawer

BraveUlysses posted:

the more expensive one can use mapp+ gas which rules for lighting charcoal

Plus Modernist Cuisine at Home suggests it’ll leave less or no aftertaste compared to butane and straight propane.

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

8 Quart instant pot on Amazon right now for $99. Think we'll see any better deals on Black Friday?

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
check camelx3. lots of instant pot deals all year long but black Friday should be even lower

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

BraveUlysses posted:

check camelx3. lots of instant pot deals all year long but black Friday should be even lower

Ended up checking there and it said $99 was the lowest listed for the 8 quart, so ended up grabbing it. I'll use it twice between now and black friday for planned pork butt + pot roasts, so worth it even if it sinks a little lower.

Nanigans
Aug 31, 2005

~Waku Waku~
I want to get my partner a small outdoor grill as a Christmas present (we're from Florida, it's always grilling season.)

My only criteria is that a) it be under $500, b) it can be used to make pizza with a pizza stone, c) it be a hybrid electric/gas.

She really likes the round, "egg" shaped grills, but if there's a more traditional one out there that's better, I'm sure she won't mind.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
used big Green egg or kamado joe

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know

Nanigans posted:

I want to get my partner a small outdoor grill as a Christmas present (we're from Florida, it's always grilling season.)

My only criteria is that a) it be under $500, b) it can be used to make pizza with a pizza stone, c) it be a hybrid electric/gas.

She really likes the round, "egg" shaped grills, but if there's a more traditional one out there that's better, I'm sure she won't mind.

Are you only grilling, or are you also looking into smoking?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nanigans
Aug 31, 2005

~Waku Waku~

swickles posted:

Are you only grilling, or are you also looking into smoking?

Really not sure. If purely grilling is significantly cheaper than a combination, I’ll start with just the grill for now.