Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

i've seen so much, i'm going blind
and i'm brain dead virtually

College Slice

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

that seems sad

it does but i have one friend who gave up and she seems super happy with her life. some people do fine alone. i know i wouldn’t but I also have no idea if i could handle courting again thanks to middle age brainworms

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

I found dating in my 30s vastly easier than when I was younger just because everyone seemed willing to be more upfront about what's really important to them

it was still super annoying, mind, just less difficult

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts
the worst part of living alone is having to take care of yourself when sick or injured

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

graph posted:

the worst part of living alone is having to take care of yourself when sick or injured

this is visible in mortality statistics

living alone and being diagnosed with certain cancers is considerably more lethal than living with others

Roosevelt
Jul 18, 2009

I'm looking for the man who shot my paw.

when i started dating again a few years ago i tried tinder for the first time. that was wild. i suddenly felt very old.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

that seems sad

it can be that way sometimes, but it's not actually that bad. i try to be mindful of what my life is like and realize that being alone has given me a lot of freedom and the ability to do whatever i feel like

i only have to put on a shirt when the food-delivery people come by, for example :D

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Roosevelt posted:

when i started dating again a few years ago i tried tinder for the first time. that was wild. i suddenly felt very old.

does tinder lack a way to filter out all the young people, or are you just a dirty old man

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Gentle Autist posted:

because sometimes its hard to even know what you want, let alone articulate and communicate it clearly without fear of shame, rejection, or ridicule.

hmm :7

my experience is that you can actually just talk to people in a very open manner, including being clear and open that you don’t know what you want. it’ll either be welcomed or not, but ya quickly realise that since most other people maybe are like that anyway, the admission and clarity of the communication opens it up both ways, and people start to feel something like a connection

it never really succeeds if you try to talk to dudes like this, as if you’re trying to be friends.. ime, but women seem to respond well, even if the purpose is just opening up and being friends

maybe my experience has just been skewed or lucky or something 🤷‍♂️

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

echinopsis posted:

maybe my experience has just been skewed or lucky or something 🤷‍♂️

didn't you literally get paid to sex up a lady at one point? i think that counts as "skewed or lucky or something" :newlol:

(apologies if i'm remembering things wrong, or if it wasn't you :ohdear:)

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

I've tried tinder and there's no way that many people actually rock climb and/or paddleboard

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

qirex posted:

I've tried tinder and there's no way that many people actually rock climb and/or paddleboard

https://twitter.com/Just_Good_News_/status/1186350729671434241

psiox
Oct 15, 2001

Babylon 5 Street Team

Roosevelt posted:

:same:

what if elastic resources but for dating and/or boning

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Being 40 is the worst because either she's 20 and wants a daddy or 50 and wants a not criminal.

E: or a guy who thinks I'm a bear.

git apologist
Jun 4, 2003

i like a&t as much as the next attracted-to-women person but the idea of even hooking up with a 20 year old let alone carrying on a relationship with one is deeply unsettling. I’d gladly take instructions from a Nigella type tho 😍

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene
i spend enough time around young people at work i don't think i would be able to handle that kind of thing in a romantic partner

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Yeah that's why it's bad.

psiox
Oct 15, 2001

Babylon 5 Street Team

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

i spend enough time around [...] people [...] i don't think i would be able to handle that kind of thing in a romantic partner

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

idk, being in my 30s and dating was pretty good for me since the pool of people filtered out some obvious bad life choices types at that range

i also got a lot more flirting than expected when I was out at bars. i think not caring much made it easier for my personality to show through

c old s: tweaked my neck last week sitting funny in my office chair, then again this week. the second time was from sleeping with the dog on the couch and it took a full day to actually bother me

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

i've seen so much, i'm going blind
and i'm brain dead virtually

College Slice
goddammit ronnie stop doxxing me

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

Cold on a Cob posted:

goddammit ronnie stop doxxing me

at least ronnie lost some weight :unsmith:

DiggityDoink
Dec 9, 2007

Agile Vector posted:

c old s: tweaked my neck last week sitting funny in my office chair, then again this week. the second time was from sleeping with the dog on the couch and it took a full day to actually bother me

i slept funny one night last december and it hosed up my right arm for a month solid. it was like a stabbing nerve pain that went from my shoulder blade down to my wrist. i went to the doctor for it a few times and all they did was give me prescription strength ibuprofen, it did nothing.

the only thing that would make the pain bearable was to hold my arm above my head. i still had to work though so i just drove to my job with my arm resting on top of my head.

it went away out of nowhere in the middle of the day. about a week after that i got a call from my doctor saying that they had just got me into physical therapy lol

ShadowHawk
Jun 25, 2000

CERTIFIED PRE OWNED TESLA OWNER

DiggityDoink posted:

i slept funny one night last december and it hosed up my right arm for a month solid. it was like a stabbing nerve pain that went from my shoulder blade down to my wrist. i went to the doctor for it a few times and all they did was give me prescription strength ibuprofen, it did nothing.

the only thing that would make the pain bearable was to hold my arm above my head. i still had to work though so i just drove to my job with my arm resting on top of my head.

it went away out of nowhere in the middle of the day. about a week after that i got a call from my doctor saying that they had just got me into physical therapy lol
You should take the physical therapy anyway, it sounds very much like some sort of impingement syndrome

Likely your posture is really bad and your regular movements are putting the joint in a bad place. Check your ergonomics too.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Oh my loving god now I have loving nightmares about lying in bed with a gout attack jesus gently caress what have I done to deserve this? I only realized I was dreaming when I noticed I had a wife.

DiggityDoink
Dec 9, 2007

ShadowHawk posted:

You should take the physical therapy anyway, it sounds very much like some sort of impingement syndrome

Likely your posture is really bad and your regular movements are putting the joint in a bad place. Check your ergonomics too.

yeah i ended up doing the physical therapy 3 days a week for a month.

ShadowHawk
Jun 25, 2000

CERTIFIED PRE OWNED TESLA OWNER
Speaking of posture, if you're a computer toucher it is highly likely yours is terrible

Stand at a wall (or whiteboard), mark your height. Then stand up straight and do it again. Then measure both.

I did this a year ago and found 1) standing up straight gave me half an inch of instant height, and 2) both heights were about an inch shorter than I remembered being.

One year later, with like 2 workouts a week including corrective exercises, my doctor measured me at the tallest height I've ever been (and I'm 35 years old). That's an inch and a half taller than the lower measurement a year ago. People tell me I've "lost weight" but the actual number hasn't changed.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

FMguru posted:

at least ronnie lost some weight :unsmith:

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

ShadowHawk posted:

Speaking of posture, if you're a computer toucher it is highly likely yours is terrible

Stand at a wall (or whiteboard), mark your height. Then stand up straight and do it again. Then measure both.

I did this a year ago and found 1) standing up straight gave me half an inch of instant height, and 2) both heights were about an inch shorter than I remembered being.

One year later, with like 2 workouts a week including corrective exercises, my doctor measured me at the tallest height I've ever been (and I'm 35 years old). That's an inch and a half taller than the lower measurement a year ago. People tell me I've "lost weight" but the actual number hasn't changed.

I’d be curious what aux exercises you ended up using

syntaxrigger
Jul 7, 2011

Actually you owe me 6! But who's countin?

rotor posted:

yeah i'm A Tall Dude and this two-dot aeron is fine. If you're Big And Tall maybe you need a three-dot but dang bro lets not say things we're gonna regret later.

I don't know if I want to try again. 1k is not something I feel is a sane amount to spend on the chair. Again. :(

I'd rather spend that on a table saw and build a chair.

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

classic case of pineapple derangement syndrome

syntaxrigger posted:

I don't know if I want to try again. 1k is not something I feel is a sane amount to spend on the chair. Again. :(

I'd rather spend that on a table saw and build a chair.

you should be able to pick up a used aeron for like $500 pretty easily but yeah i wouldn't do it without trying it on either.

ps: do not try to build a chair

syntaxrigger
Jul 7, 2011

rotor posted:

you should be able to pick up a used aeron for like $500 pretty easily but yeah i wouldn't do it without trying it on either.

ps: do not try to build a chair

why not? I mean I know it isn't easy and I probably wouldn't get it right on the first try but I'm pretty sure I'd eventually get it right.

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

syntaxrigger posted:

why not? I mean I know it isn't easy and I probably wouldn't get it right on the first try but I'm pretty sure I'd eventually get it right.

narrator voice: they didn’t

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

people who design chairs for a living atill manage to make an awful one every once in a while

syntaxrigger
Jul 7, 2011

lotta NON-DIY opinions ITT :drat:

I am not saying I'll make the best chair known to man that has ever been sat on thus rendering all past and future chairs obsolete. I just think I could measure self and then measure wood and then attach wood in a chair shape.

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

syntaxrigger posted:

I mean go nuts, build stuff, but the idea that you're gonna build a real comfy office chair your first, second or 28th try is not really a thing

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

syntaxrigger posted:

I just think I could measure self and then measure wood and then attach wood in a chair shape.

Have you ever made a chair before?

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.
Making a deck chair as a hobbyist sounds p doable. But yeah lol at the idea of making a comfortable and ergonomic office chair from scratch

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
holy poo poo that is the worst idea i've heard all week, and i just got off a 90 minute call focused on k8s

syntaxrigger
Jul 7, 2011

rotor posted:

I mean go nuts, build stuff, but the idea that you're gonna build a real comfy office chair your first, second or 28th try is not really a thing

Jonny 290 posted:

holy poo poo that is the worst idea i've heard all week, and i just got off a 90 minute call focused on k8s

Not sure where you are going here but I am not sure I have ever sat in a 'really comfy chair' but it DOES seem sorta silly how big of a deal you guys are making this out to be

rotor posted:

Have you ever made a chair before?

I made swings out of wood with my grandfather when I was really little. I had the very important job of snapping the chalk line :smug:

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

syntaxrigger posted:

I made swings out of wood with my grandfather when I was really little. I had the very important job of snapping the chalk line :smug:

:3:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

syntaxrigger
Jul 7, 2011

Agreed. Nothing but fond memories.