Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

caligulamprey
Jan 23, 2007

It never stops.

No amount of work in their transfers will ever get me to forgive Universal for their bullshit weird screensaver-and-then-turn-the-movie-off-completely nonsense thing when you pause the film, why can't I turn this option off?!

EDIT: That's a lame snipe, but I stand by my words.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alec Eiffel
Sep 7, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
It makes me mad because on my remote you have to press enter to resume the film. Pressing play does nothing.

It also goes to the screensaver in a matter of moments.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

My soundbar likes to time out on me or very rarely just shut itself off. Because it's on ARC hitting the volume to turn it back on switches the input to the one it's on. There's an 'eco' feature you can turn off, but it still does it anyway. Not so bad if you're watching Blu-rays but if it's streaming you have to navigate all the way back to what you were watching.

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm
That ARC stuff drives me crazy. I assume if you have a straight-forward setup it can make things easier but if you deviate at all from the norm it’s infuriating. I upgraded my TV and Blu-Ray player to 4K but kept my old receiver which cannot do 4K HDMI passthrough and holy poo poo making all that garbage talk to each other was maddening.

gey muckle mowser
Aug 5, 2003

Do you know anything about...
witches?

Buglord
on my TV at least I'm pretty sure there is the option to disable ARC on a input-by-input basis

stratofarius
May 17, 2019

So I bought a DVD player, because there's a new video rental store near my home where you can rent DVDs for free.

I rented Rififi and played it on VLC Media Player, and the software would sometimes freeze and bork up. To test what's going on, I got a different software- PowerDVD- and watched Swimming to Cambodia yesterday. The movie froze on the exact same points, which makes me think that maybe that was a problem with the disc. I then saw a third DVD, which worked just fine with PowerDVD but borked up VLC too.

Is VLC just bad or do I have bad luck?

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.
Try MPC-HC

Discs - especially rental discs - can just be weirdly finicky

stratofarius
May 17, 2019

TheScott2K posted:

Try MPC-HC

Discs - especially rental discs - can just be weirdly finicky

Thanks!

Alec Eiffel
Sep 7, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Are there any decent releases (DVD or Blu) of T2? The Abyss DVDs are all awful too, huh?

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Alec Eiffel posted:

Are there any decent releases (DVD or Blu) of T2? The Abyss DVDs are all awful too, huh?
I enjoyed the 4k, but it has DNR smoothing to get rid of the grain.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Yeah the UHD wildly swings back and forth from looking amazing and looking hideous. It’s a shame, I still enjoyed watching it though.

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm
Yup, T2 is easily the worst UHD I have but it’s still better than my old DVD so what you gonna do. It honestly makes me appreciate some of these other UHDs more.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

There's a remastered Blu-ray from 2015 that's basically the same one used for the Extreme Edition - 2K full area transfer of the 35mm interpositive, with no noise reduction like the Skynet Edition or UHD. Transfer looks a little old, but still good.

https://www.blu-ray.com/movies/Terminator-2-Judgment-Day-Blu-ray/127046/

It's kind of ridiculous... I made my own 3-disc edition by taking the remastered Blu-ray, the first disc of the Extreme Edition for the commentaries, and the old DVD-18 Ultimate Edition so I'd have all the extras. Maybe when Lionsgate stops releasing physical media, we'll finally get a definitive edition from Arrow or someone.

Also, turns out Amazon US has the Monty Python set on pre-order and it's $50 cheaper than importing the UK one if you don't care about having a native 50Hz version.
https://www.amazon.com/Monty-Python...0WGFVDHM0QRF9X7

Alec Eiffel
Sep 7, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Looks like Mr. Cameron's classics T2 and The Abyss will not be purchased! I'll see you in theaters for Avatar 2, Jim! And I'll scream "The Abyss 4K when" every time 'Jakesully' is mentioned.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I know what you did last summer, and frankly I am displeased.
Hey one of you nerds might know this crap. What's the deal with the classic Doctor Who blu-rays? I noticed that they have the complete first and last seasons of Tom Baker's run out but none in the middle. Are they not doing the rest or is it some kind of thing where they're going to gradually fill in the gaps?

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer

CPL593H posted:

Hey one of you nerds might know this crap. What's the deal with the classic Doctor Who blu-rays? I noticed that they have the complete first and last seasons of Tom Baker's run out but none in the middle. Are they not doing the rest or is it some kind of thing where they're going to gradually fill in the gaps?

I think they're going for iconic stuff- first seasons, final seasons, etc.- as long as there's interest. Every individual story that still exists is on DVD now (though some have drifted out of print), and the show was usually shot with a combination of film and video (the last four seasons were entirely on video) so there's not always a significant visual upgrade, so there may be some weird math with what's actually worth restoring and doing extras for.

Steen71
Apr 10, 2017

Fun Shoe
The Abyss situation is weird. There's already a perfectly decent scan of it. I know because it was shown on some German HD channel a number of years ago. It has some minor compression artifacts (unsurprisingly), but otherwise looks great. (The grain looks better in motion.) They just need to slap it on a BD.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Alec Eiffel posted:

Looks like Mr. Cameron's classics T2 and The Abyss will not be purchased! I'll see you in theaters for Avatar 2, Jim! And I'll scream "The Abyss 4K when" every time 'Jakesully' is mentioned.

I can't be the only person to find it hilarious that there was a 3 disc version of Avatar containing 3 (I think) different cuts, release just this year. Like was there really that much demand that anyone who didn't already own a copy of Avatar would want it again?

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Iron Crowned posted:

I can't be the only person to find it hilarious that there was a 3 disc version of Avatar containing 3 (I think) different cuts, release just this year. Like was there really that much demand that anyone who didn't already own a copy of Avatar would want it again?

It's just a new printing of the 2010 release, probably in a plain case.

I think the only other "unique" editions were the initial dual format movie-only disc and the 3-D movie-only disc.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Kino Lorber just confirmed Brick for Jan 7.

New 4K restoration supervised by Rian Johnson, with all the DVD extras (commentary, deleted scenes, interview, trailer).

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Egbert Souse posted:

New 4K restoration supervised by Rian Johnson, with all the DVD extras (commentary, deleted scenes, interview, trailer).

Brick is like 15 years old, how can it need a restoration?

oneforthevine
Sep 25, 2015

Timby posted:

Brick is like 15 years old, how can it need a restoration?

The previous master was likely done for early DVD, so it may not even have been restored in 2K. Just makes sense to go back to the original elements (which have likely deteriorated a little bit in 15 years) and make a new master.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Egbert Souse posted:

Yes please

gey muckle mowser
Aug 5, 2003

witches?

Buglord
Vinegar Syndrome just announced that Tammy and the T-Rex is gonna be their first UHD release

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

Iron Crowned posted:

I still can’t believe there’s like 4 loving Avatar movies being made. Yes, the movie was successful, but it came out a decade ago and left zero lasting cultural impact. And the first sequel isn’t scheduled to be released until two years from now!!! :psyduck:

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

gey muckle mowser posted:

Vinegar Syndrome just announced that Tammy and the T-Rex is gonna be their first UHD release

Oh gently caress yes! Yearly and half yearly subscribers get the UHD/BD combo. Looking forward to the inevitable triple dip on a Hot and Saucy Pizza Girls UHD

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

So if I preordered I get stuck with the regular Blu-ray? I'm not a subscriber because most of their catalog doesn't interest me.

gey muckle mowser
Aug 5, 2003

witches?

Buglord

Casimir Radon posted:

So if I preordered I get stuck with the regular Blu-ray? I'm not a subscriber because most of their catalog doesn't interest me.

according to the post on facebook:

Vinegar Syndrome posted:

• Black Friday flash preorder customers will have the option to upgrade their current BD/DVD combo of Tammy to a UHD/BD combo for $10. Upgrade payment links will be emailed early next week.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Ok, cool. Yes I want a higher fidelity for my stupid purchase.

The only VS Blu-ray I own is Hell Comes to Frogtown.

I, Butthole
Jun 30, 2007

Begin the operations of the gas chambers, gas schools, gas universities, gas libraries, gas museums, gas dance halls, and gas threads, etcetera.
I DEMAND IT

Casimir Radon posted:

Buy Christmas Evil

E: can we just add "buy Christmas Evil" to the thread title please

I, Butthole fucked around with this message at 20:53 on Oct 24, 2019

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

I think my mass effect is broken

Casimir Radon posted:

Dolemite for me. At least until I get my copy of Tammy and the T-Rex.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I, Butthole posted:

Buy Christmas Evil

E: can we just add "buy Christmas Evil" to the thread title please

Casimir Radon posted:

Maxwell Lord posted:

I think they're going for iconic stuff- first seasons, final seasons, etc.- as long as there's interest. Every individual story that still exists is on DVD now (though some have drifted out of print), and the show was usually shot with a combination of film and video (the last four seasons were entirely on video) so there's not always a significant visual upgrade, so there may be some weird math with what's actually worth restoring and doing extras for.

Oh I'm not all like "I have to see these 70s Doctor Who episodes in stunning high def!". It's just that this seems like it would have been a good way to get a complete run or see the stories in order without buying 50 different DVD sets. I'm also just kind of surprised that they wouldn't have a larger selection of the Tom Baker era seeing as he's the most popular Doctor of the original and probably would be of the entire series if people didn't have such a hard on for David Tennant.

This is incredible.

Christmas Evil and Liquid Sky are the best non-Tammy movies they have. Dolemite is a really good choice too.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit
Just ask me if it's good, I've got most of the VS catalogue

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

I think my mass effect is broken

Iron Crowned posted:

Just ask me if it's good, I've got most of the VS catalogue

Are Human Tornado and Petey Wheatstraw any good?

Liar Lyre
Jun 3, 2011

Here to deliver
~Bad Opinions~

Vagabundo posted:

Are Human Tornado and Petey Wheatstraw any good?

They’re Rudy Ray Moore movies, so yes.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Liar Lyre posted:

They’re Rudy Ray Moore movies, so yes.

Yeah!

I'd rank them as such:
1) Dolemite
2) Petey Wheatstraw
3) Human Tornado
4) Disco Godfather

They're all good though, so you can't really go wrong with any of them.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Can't find any order links, but Universal is releasing the 1932 Howard Hawks Scarface on Nov 5.

It's included with the deluxe 4K gift set and early reviews are positive. New 4K restoration by Universal with both the pre-release and theatrical cuts seamlessly branched, as well as the alternate theatrical ending viewable on its own, plus a TCM intro with Robert Osborne.

A little disappointed it's not more elaborate (or a Criterion/Arrow/etc) since it's a great pre-code film, but at least it'll be out.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

Is this bullshit with Disney and the Fox catalog going to gently caress up present and future releases?

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Yes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

Really what I want to know is if there's going to be a mad dash to get a lot of titles on blu-ray as Disney starts putting them out of print. I'd be real surprised if they ever allowed boutique labels to license a Fox title ever again. This whole thing is just miserable.