Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Yeah. they just bounce so flawlessly between like, blackened post-metal, and stuff that reminds me more of Torche or Floor, I didn't know if there was a specific sub-genre I could scour to find more bands like them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

The Comet is Coming is some supremely weird poo poo that is probably up the alley of this thread.

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

Laserface posted:

The Comet is Coming is some supremely weird poo poo that is probably up the alley of this thread.

A jazz band is up the alley of this thread now?

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

A human heart posted:

its out of genre but its also pretty drat stoner-ish.

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

does anyone have recommendations for music with drums that sound like the one from this track: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1IPT3ukvkyA

Doesn't even really matter what type of music I just need more of that drum sound, those drums just sound so drat good to me idk why

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
New Chained to the Bottom of the Ocean is out today. Yes it opens with a Death Cab cover.

https://chainedtothebottomoftheocean.bandcamp.com/

abske_fides
Apr 20, 2010

A human heart posted:

Bohren Und der Club of Gore is also normally pretty popular among doomsters.

I'd also recommend The Necks even though they aren't doomy...

Parachute
May 18, 2003
bohren ftmfw forever

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aue3NrdtzN0

XBenedict
May 23, 2006

YOUR LIPS SAY 0, BUT YOUR EYES SAY 1.

Laserface posted:

I'm a fan. It's quite progressive.

Eat The Rich
Feb 10, 2018

Laserface posted:

Thanks for this rec. This is chill as heck.

Parachute
May 18, 2003

Laserface posted:

this is pretty great and definitely not something id think would be in this thread.

funkybottoms
Oct 28, 2010

Funky Bottoms is a land man
finally listened to the Workshed (two former Cathedral dudes) record that came out a few weeks back- it's not reinventing the wheel, but it's pretty darn good and heavy.

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.
I saw The Comet Is Coming couple weeks ago at ACL and it was a fun, energetic show.

Neeever would've thought of it as having any crossover with this thread, but hey -- we already like weird poo poo, so maybe it's not that big of a stretch.

Ingmar terdman
Jul 24, 2006

We could probably sustain a psych/freak thread based on the number of times adjacent stuff comes up (Kikaguak, Aussie psych, etc) but I guess it would mostly be the same posters

me your dad
Jul 25, 2006

Ingmar terdman posted:

We could probably sustain a psych/freak thread based on the number of times adjacent stuff comes up (Kikaguak, Aussie psych, etc) but I guess it would mostly be the same posters

There is

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3872604

It could use some more replies and OP is banned.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

I still gotta write my Aussie S/D/S thing for this thread, I havent forgotten about it (just kinda realised I dont actually know that many local bands and am still doing some research)

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

Whoever made the Gnarly Heavy Psych playlist on Spotify, thanks I listen to it a lot.

If there’s more psych/freak playlists you guys are hiding let’s see em :allears:

E-

me your dad posted:

There is

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3872604

It could use some more replies and OP is banned.

Ooh nice but maybe it’s time for a new thread

Snowy fucked around with this message at 00:29 on Oct 29, 2019

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

I really appreciate how chill this thread is about discussing stuff outside true S/D/S because Comet is Coming is extremely my poo poo and I know what I'm listening to for the next week or so.

They're very much like Critters Buggin.

HenryJLittlefinger fucked around with this message at 17:30 on Oct 29, 2019

Parachute
May 18, 2003
totally agreed & i havent heard critters buggin but comet is coming reminds me of badbadnotgood

XBenedict
May 23, 2006

Critters buggin is dope. If you liked Comet, you may like Ozric Tentacles. It’s still not Doom*.

my bony fealty
Oct 1, 2008

Ozrics are the poo poo. a few months ago I got in a Lyft and the driver was playing them and I was like holy poo poo are you playing Ozric Tentacles and he was like hell yeah I saw em in like 1996. my friends were like who tf is Ozric Tentacles and now they know. Spirals in Hyperspace and Waterfall Cities are some of my faves.

I would support utilizing the psych thread because it's good but maybe it would be ok to roll it in here as theres such overlap, in both fanbase and sound?

XBenedict
May 23, 2006

my bony fealty posted:

Ozrics are the poo poo. a few months ago I got in a Lyft and the driver was playing them and I was like holy poo poo are you playing Ozric Tentacles and he was like hell yeah I saw em in like 1996. my friends were like who tf is Ozric Tentacles and now they know. Spirals in Hyperspace and Waterfall Cities are some of my faves.

I would support utilizing the psych thread because it's good but maybe it would be ok to roll it in here as theres such overlap, in both fanbase and sound?

Chewier is my go-to speaker/headphone tester track.

So, if you're interested, Ed Wynne, the guy behind Ozric put out a solo album this year with a very Tentacular feel.

Ingmar terdman
Jul 24, 2006

A new psych thread with a stronger OP like this thread would rule but that takes effort so lieu of that, I hope everyone listens to The Evil One for halloween

XBenedict
May 23, 2006

Ingmar terdman posted:

A new psych thread with a stronger OP like this thread would rule but that takes effort so lieu of that, I hope everyone listens to The Evil One for halloween

Do it for poor dead Roky.

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

Ingmar terdman posted:

Hey whaddya know that is a good op :v:

Ingmar terdman
Jul 24, 2006

So let it be written so let it be done

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3902506

Was going to just add the last few pages of stuff from this thread but I figured the posters can do that if they want

funkybottoms
Oct 28, 2010

Funky Bottoms is a land man
Russian Circles loving slayed last night; that's easily the best show i've seen in years. i love that they got on stage, did their thing, and left; no crowd interaction beyond a brief wave from one of them as they walked off the stage.

Windhand were good, but that one song kinda gets old when they play it six times in a row.

VVV Russian Circles/Boris at the 930 is definitely a top three for me

funkybottoms fucked around with this message at 16:38 on Oct 31, 2019

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Russian Circles/Cave In/Boris was one of the best shows I've ever been to

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

I've seen Russian Circles like 3x and they're great. Excited to see 'em again on Monday!

Babies Getting Rabies
Apr 21, 2007

Sugartime Jones
I've seen them twice so far and they were great both times. Looking forward to seeing them at Roadburn next year.

Varg
Jan 13, 2007

A friendly face.

Can confirm, Russian Circles owned hard when I saw them on Sunday. Windhand was better the first time I saw them when they opened for Sleep and I was really high.

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

Well poo poo I guess I should have gone Saturday considering I had a ticket and all.

Darn other things in life

Eat The Rich
Feb 10, 2018

Forming the Void and Old Man Wizard tonight!

Blast Fantasto
Sep 18, 2007

USAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!
I saw Russian Circles open for Eagles of Death Metal open for Mastodon. One of the few times where I saw a 3 act bill where the first was the best show, though I like EODM.

my bony fealty
Oct 1, 2008

Eat The Rich posted:

I was maybe gonna go to this but then I got sick rip. Old Man Wizard is cool, I saw Francis play dungeon synth earlier this year and it was real fun. Have fuuuunnn

Zoben
Oct 3, 2001

Eat The Rich posted:

Forming the Void is rad, I illustrated the album cover for their new album which should be out next year sometime :thumbsup:

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice

In Hamtramck, Michigan.

cryptoclastic
Jul 3, 2003

The Jesus
It has taken me a long time, but I finally get Thou.

Eat The Rich
Feb 10, 2018

gently caress I bought merch from a band member again without realizing they were in the band.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eat The Rich
Feb 10, 2018

Zoben posted:

Forming the Void is rad, I illustrated the album cover for their new album which should be out next year sometime :thumbsup:

Mwahahaha they told me your name

Here's my face with the lead guitarist of Forming the Void in return

Edit edit: haha old man wizard is doing a queen tribute

Eat The Rich fucked around with this message at 09:08 on Nov 1, 2019