Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

You giving me the cold shoulder? How cruel.

Grimey Drawer

1234567890num posted:

One more post to the next page

You sure about that?

e: well I'll be!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

1234567890num
Oct 6, 2017

Music: Ranger Base

It's no exaggeration to say that it was a fantastic success that will go down in Ranger history. As a result of your latest exploits, you have taken another giant step forward, Circe. For all that you have achieved, I hereby certify you as Ranger Rank 10!

Music: Rank Up!

Now that you have attained Ranger Rank 10, your party can be expanded. Circe, you are now permitted to be accompanied by up to seven friend Pokemon in addition to your partner.

Circe is now fully powered up :getin:

Cameron! Is Spenser safe?
There's nothing to worry about. I bet Spenser's already finished up and taking a nap somewhere.
It's Spenser, Cameron, not you. He wouldn't be sneaking a nap anywhere.
*To Lunick* But Cameron's right. You don't need to worry about Spenser, I guarantee it. He appears when the situation is at its most dire, and he's gone by the time you notice. He's always been that way. And now, for Spenser's apprentices, I have a mission of critical importance. Thwart the plans of Gordor, the Go-Rock Squad's boss, who is thought to be holed up in the Fiore Temple.

Music: Mission Received!

Let's talk to everyone before we get on that. You know, for good luck.

There's no more advice that I can offer you. I can only send you off with a smile!
Be safe! I'll be looking forward to hearing what happened when you return!
Don't worry about Spenser.
I'll do whatever it takes to stop Gordor's wicked plans!

Don't you think it would be neat if you could easily get information like that?

We can see how many kinds of Pokemon we've caught, but I don't think that's what you meant.

Music: Wintown

I don't think it's just because I cleaned my glasses, either. Can I thank the Rangers for this, too?

You can always thank the Rangers for anything. ANYTHING.

But now I hear that it's going to get really tough for you Rangers from here.

It's all part of the job :c00lbert:

Just a little while ago, the Go-Rock Squad besieged the town. It was a frightening scene. But Elita led a group of Rangers and stood up to the Go-Rock Squad. They protected us all.

No playing outside! I play inside now.

My intuition told me so, and it is rarely wrong. I'm the oldest woman in Fiore. I should know.

Earlier, I saw Elita flying toward the peak riding her Skarmory... She looked like she was on the verge of tears... What was behind it? Who are the rotten people that make Elita hurt so much?

While you were at the Go-Rock Squad Base, we were attacked in town by a Go-Rock Squad swarm. A lady Ranger from Fall City--I think her name was Aria--and Elita took them on. They worked desperately... Yeah, they were completely outnumbered. They were covered in dirty by the end. But they protected the town.

Speaking of, where's Aria? She's nowhere to be found in Wintown. :iiam:

On the way back, I noticed the Snorlax's gone away. You know, the one that was blocking the path. I reckon that stout fellow must have gone foraging for food.

Music: Sekra Range

Seedot now can be found here. This is one of speedrunners' bane because if you can't flee if the Pokemon only needs one loop and the capture animation takes a long time.

Anyway, with Snorlax away, we can go through this shortcut. It bypass most of this place, including the hiker's house. Which has a new dialog and an old dialog that I didn't get.

I've heard that the Fiore Temple has enchanted doors and such. I've never been there myself, so I really don't know much.
I'll recharge your Styler's energy... But it's fully charged.

After going through an area with nothing in it, we arrive into the area where we fought Charizard.

This area also has Ralts now, who will not teleport through walls anymore. You know, since there's no wall to teleport through.

The cave now has a Snorlax, who is STILL sleeping. This is where Snorlax will stay for the rest of the game unless we manage to capture it somehow.

While we're here, we'll take this chance to tie up some loose ends.

More optional Pokemon!

Hyper Beam, straight line, nothing we haven't seen before.

Required Loops: 5
Possible EXP: 100/106/112/120

I love the animation, though. It's just so cute :3:

Behind the rockfall near the temple, there's a vine. Seems like they don't want to make this easy.

Poliwhirl, like Hariyama, has a very long attack animation.

Whatever's up there better be good...

...You gotta be kidding me :cripes:

The game won't even let us bring these Ghastly into the temple :sigh:

Music: Mission Start!

Music: Fiore Temple
Circe, this is it...
*When talked to* What's wrong? You're not scared now, are you?

Here we are in Fiore Temple, our last dungeon.

Music: Go-Rock Squad!

You should put that persistence to good use in your studies, gaming, or even romance!

Hey! I'm doing very well on at least one of those things! :mad:

OK! I'm locking up! *closes the door*
Wait! Hold it, Go-Rock Squad!

Hey, look! These doors are marked with a flame logo. Maybe we're supposed to get a Fire-group Pokemon to open them for us. *looks around* But I don't see any Pokemon around here... Does it mean we have to go back?

Circe... Isn't this Charizard the one you saved in the Jungle Relic?

Charizard, thank you. It's repaying you, Circe...

That's very nice of it :unsmith:

If I have to sum up Fiore Temple, it would be...

...another ledge puzzle. Hooray. :confuoot:

I can't stress how amazing it is not having random encounters. It makes areas like this not actually that tedious..

Donphan attacks with a curved charge and counters with a tackle. Its charge has a VERY long range, I think the longest in the game.

Required Loops: 10
Possible EXP: 60/65/70/75/80/85

I had to use Aerodactyl capture it.

GO AWAY. NO ONE LIKES YOU. :argh:

Not you, Grovyle. You're okay in my book.

Vaporeon here is a VERY special Pokemon. And a nightmare to capture.

Music: Wild Pokemon Capture

:suicide:

Black Robe
Sep 12, 2017

Generic Magic User

If Charizard really wanted to repay us he could come along instead of just opening the door and buggering off.

Also Vaporeon may be my favourite pokemon of all time so I'm perversely glad that it's an annoying jerk :3:

Polderjoch
Jun 27, 2019

May the sacred flame guide me... Or something like that.
That Vaporeon is the most annoying mon to capture in the series. Even with Plusle nothing else even comes close to being as irritating

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Seeing that Charizard, I'm hoping eventually in one of these Ranger games you end up with pokemon generally liking/respecting you so much that in at least one endgame section they just follow you around and help you out without needing the styler.

1234567890num
Oct 6, 2017

Right. Ignoring that Vaporeon for now...

There's a ruin right in the middle of this area.

It has both old and new Pokemon. Yes, Gengar can take away our Pokemon too.

It can't do that if it's captured, though. It doesn't have any attack, but it can create clones which can also break our line.

The clones disappear after one loop, but Gengar will create more a while after we dispel both of them.

Required Loops: 7
Possible EXP: 100/106/112/120

Fun fact: Capturing Gengar and dissipating a clone on the same loop will give us increased EXP, as if we capture two Pokemon at the same time.

More Eevolutions! We'll come back to these later when Glalie isn't chasing us.

The fourth Eevolution! Eevee isn't available in this game, though.

Flareon attacks consecutively, but there's enough time between each Flamethrower for a loop. Good thing too, since it can attack up to 6 times in a row.

Music: Capture Complete

Required Loops: 13
Possible EXP: 75/79/83/89

Not to mention the number of loops needed. Still not as bad as Vaporeon in any case, though.

Umbreon just takes a page out of Mukrow's book. It's like this is the only dark attack in the game (Sneasel's Cut doesn't count).

It moves decently fast, too. Flareon or Glalie takes care of it well enough.

Espeon won't attack twice and just prances around slowly like a kitty. It's by far the easiest Eevolution to catch.

That's all in the ruins, so guess it's time to catch that Vaporeon.

Ha! Suck it, Vaporeon! :fuckoff:

Required Loops: 15

Plusle needs all 5 bars in order to give us enough time. I'm just baffled that someone thought it's a good idea to force 15 loops to a Pokemon that instantly flees :downsbravo:

With that taken care of, let's continue scaling this ledge maze.

*Everyone approach the tablet*

There's something engraved on this stone tablet... Whence upon the sacred pedestals are placed the chosen Pokemon, the path shall be thrown wide. ...This must be the hint for opening those doors.

The screen shakes, so I can't make a GIF of the pedestals rising.

Whoa! That gave me a jolt! The "sacred pedestals" that the stone tablet mentioned... Are they these things?

Left pedestal A blue Pokemon on four legs cloaked by the power of water.

If we have the corresponding Pokemon, the game will automatically ask us if we want to place it on the pedestal.

It looks like your deductions were on the money, Circe. OK, two more to go!

Middle pedestal A yellow Pokemon on four legs cloaked by the power of electricity.

We don't get any choice from this one. I'm sure you can figure out what Pokemon this is.

Right pedestal A red Pokemon on four legs cloaked by the power of fire.

This one is Flareon, so we place it on the pedestal too.

Getting to Jolteon requires getting past the gate, so it's impossible to have all 3 Pokemon on one go.

Jolteon's gimmick is that it moves very quickly. Just use Ice, Fire, Flying or Ground assist.

By the way, I love how all Eevolution (beside Umbreon) has functionally the same attack.

Required Loops: 8
Possible EXP: 25

Jolteon is too cool to give the same EXP as the others, though :mad:

Also, aside from having to go all the way to the end to reach Jolteon, it drops us back near the beginning so we have to trek all the way back up. Which means...

GO AWAY! NOBODY LIKES YOU! :argh:

Whence upon the sacred pedestals are placed the chosen Pokemon, the path will be thrown wide... Let's go, Circe.
*When talked to* Gordor should be up past here. Circe, let's hurry!

After a short trek to grab some Pokemon...

Music: Tension

This is the final area in the game (not counting postgame), featuring a pyramid. There's broken stairs everywhere, forcing a zigzag path to climb up it.

Of course, that means it's time for the final batch of grunt battles.

All you Rangers go on and on about Pokemon's feelings. If you ask me, Pokemon only have three feelings: hungry, not hungry, and angry!

Music: Go-Rock Squad Battle (Strong Grunt)

Linoone runs quickly in a straight line, only stopping to change directions. It also attacks with Tackle. Ice assist takes care of it easily enough, as do several others.

Possible EXP: 80/86/92/100

I doubt I'll ever have the opportunity to show off Ice assist since its awful availability and nerf make them awful for bosses.

I lost, so it's not really up to me to say it, but you and Pokemon seem to connect emotionally...

We couldn't have gone this far without the help of all those Pokemon :unsmith:

The Go-Rock Squad's undiscovered star, that's me! By all rights, I should be a Commander by now! Let me demonstrate my prowess!

This fight is actually very hard. All these Johto starters has very different attack patterns, so there's not much opening.

Too bad Ghost assist trivializes it. Good try, though. You sure are an undiscovered star. Maybe you should've gotten them fully evolved.

Speaking of, we haven't met any fully evolved Johto starter, have we? Where could they be? :iiam:

You've got nothing to do with things, but do you have time to listen to me whine? When it comes right down to it, the boss only cares about his kids. If you're not related to the boss, you can only go so high in position. I'm getting sick of it all...

Good ol' nepotism at work.

(Right) I'd heard rumors about you, but I honestly didn't think you would get this far. I'll admit to being impressed by your gutsy determination.
(Left) Don't ever forget the sense of no surrender that brought you here even when you got older.

Aww, we're getting congratulated for our achievement :dance:

(Left) Of course, I'll also show you that it's sometimes better to give up than to suffer futility!

Hey! :mad:

Like before, Blaziken moves very fast, kicks fireballs, and jumps. On the other hand, Blastoise moves very slowly but will spend most of its time with Hydro Pumps. Did I mention that it requires 17 loops?

What I'm trying to say is that Blaziken alone would've been very hard to capture, but Blastoise's support makes it borderline impossible.

I tried using Medicham for Fighting assist, but I guess Blaziken's fighting spirit burns brighter :downsrim:

Required Loops: 17
Possible EXP: 150/156/162/168/174/180

Long story short: Ghost Assist. Alternatively, you can also use Plusle to capture Blaziken since Blastoise alone isn't a big problem.

(Right) How could you work so hard just for the sake of some Pokemon?
(Left) Pokemon are just tools. They're disposable for our benefit.

*Both of them look at the top*

(Right) It looks like the boss is ready... Why don't you go see exactly how powerful the Go-Rock Squad is?

We'll do that in the next update.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Ah yes, everyone's least favourite Eeveelution. Lunickeon.

1234567890num
Oct 6, 2017

Video: Gordor (This video covers the entire update)

Let's...

Let's go.

I was about to say that! :mad:

New Music: Gordor (Remastered)

Looks like there's not just one final boss :stare:

Fufufu... You seem to be dumbfounded by the sight of these legendary Pokemon. You were... Circe, was it? Forgive me for not sending you invitations... But you're my honored guests for my solo performance. Welcome, young Rangers! Welcome to the greatest performance of my life! Witness it to your hearts' content from your specially reserved seats!

Gordor's Laugh: 10

It wouldn't be Gordor if he didn't laugh.

Have a good look at this machine. It is the ultimate Styler that I created for this glorious moment. Not even Hastings could devise a Styler so powerful. The instant I play any melody on this Styler, its vibrations will take over the free will of any Pokemon. That means any Pokemon will become my slave to do exactly my bidding. No Pokemon can defy my Styler. Not even the legendary Pokemon that are said to be virtually impossible to capture!

Gordor's Laugh: 11 :ohdear:

I will use my Styler to command the three legendary Pokemon to unleash their fury upon Fiore. I will make them create rainstorms, thunderstorms, and fire storms!

...Can't you do anything more creative than just making storms?

And when these three calamities strike Fiore, it won't be you Rangers quelling them. It will be us, the Go-Rock Squad. It will be an easy matter if we use the abilities of the Pokemon we have. Now, consider this: what will the people of Fiore call the Go-Rock Squad after we stop the calamities? We will be considered heroes. In the coming new age, the Go-Rock Squad will replace you Rangers. It will be the dawning of a new era in which the Go-Rock Squad will forge the new world order as heroes. You get to be a witness to the Go-Rock Squad's greatest moment of glory. Rejoice in it!

Gordor's Laugh: 12

Petty as gently caress.

That's horrible! How can you be so cruel and misguided? Rob Pokemon of their free will? That's completely different from capturing! You're just torturing Pokemon into doing something against their will! It's just ugly violence!

Gordor's Laugh: 13

Why do you accuse me of making Pokemon suffer? Would you like to see if your Plusle and Minun suffer? ...On second thought, it's not worth it. It's not worth my time capturing worthless Pokemon like them.

Plusle: Plaah plaplapla!

Minun: Maai maimaimai!

Neither Plusle nor Minun are worthless!

They might be absolutely terrible in the main games, but they're very useful in this game! :argh:

Gordor's Laugh: 14

But enough. Let's get on with the show! First, Raikou! Go on, go absolutely wild! Fill the skies above Fiore with the shards of lightning you summon!
Raikou is suffering! Circe! Can't you do something?!

New Music: Legendary Pokemon Battle

First up is Raikou. It's a luck-based Pokemon.

Its main attack is to create lightning at its spot that stays for a while. Better hope Raikou isn't on the bottom half because everything above it will get caught as well. :shepface:

Those lightning will linger for quite a while, enough time for Raikou to make more of them. It sucks.

I haven't shown off Ground assist yet, so let's see it in action.

But before that, I guess we have to see Raikou's lightning in action first.

Anyway, like other line assists, Ground assist stops the Pokemon in their tracks. In this battle positioning is very important since this can happen where we have no choice but to wait.

In the end, all we can do is try to loop it and hope it doesn't summon any lightning during that time. Ground or Ghost assist can help with that. And probably Fighting too.

As far as I know, Raikou will rain down 3 or 4 lightning before stopping for a while. And then it's a tossup between more lightning or...

...this attack, which doesn't appear in the video. I didn't know Raikou has fists to punch with...

Required Loops: 11
Possible EXP: 500/520/540/560/580/600

You can tell that this final stretch isn't going to be easy.

Music: Gordor (Remastered)

What?! You insolent... You won't be lucky twice! Suicune, go! Let loose every bit of the savagery in your heart! Drown Fiore under the rainstorms you call forth!
Suicune will get blamed if Gordor's not stopped! Circe, save Suicune!

Music: Legendary Pokemon Battle

Suicune is by far the easiest of the three.

Just like Gengar, it will create 2 clones of itself if it's alone, so keeping one of it alive might be a good idea.

I said "might" because unlike Gengar, Suicune will actually attack. Its clones also have that same attack.

Getting hit would cost us 8 HP (20% of our total). This is a very lucky dodge :sweatdrop:

Being a Water type, Plusle would be perfect for stunning them. Medicham can then finish the job.

...Well, at least you tried :glomp:

Ghost assist is still amazingly effective, by the way.

Possible EXP: 550/560/570/580/590/600

Only one more Pokemon left!

Music: Gordor (Remastered)

However many of my Pokemon you release, I can easily recapture them so long as I have this Power Styler.

Joke's on you. The legendary beasts are known for roaming around and you can't capture any Pokemon if you can't find it :v:

Besides, I still have the most reliable of the lot--Entei!

The towering flames Entei erupts will burn all Fiore down to the ground. I see no need to recall Raikou and Suicune.

...Then why did you capture them both? Just to gloat?

Music stops

Gordor's Laugh: 15

W-what are you doing?! Stop that! Don't touch that!

*Plusle and Minun keeps jumping on the keyboard*

You blasted Pokemon! Get off the keyboard!
Look! The Styler's smoking!

Mission accomplished! :toot:

Oh, right, Entei's still here.

S-stop it, Entei! I'm your master!
Circe! Rescue Gordor!

New Music: The Final Battle

Entei is back, and it got some new tricks up its sleeve.

For the first phase, Entei will create 3 flame pillars and have fire surrounding it. There are several patterns for the pillars, and Entei can change them at any time.

Meanwhile, the fire surrounding Entei will cause damage if we hit it. We can get rid of them by making loops around Entei. There are 12 of them, if I'm not mistaken, and they all need to be removed before we can actually start working on Entei.

It's like the developers heard my gushing about Ghost assist and decided to nerf it for this fight, because it is amazingly useless against Entei.

On hindsight, I guess it would be better to use Fighting on this first phase to get rid of those fires quicker. Oh well.

After all the fires are gone, we move on to the second phase. Entei will stop loving around and create pillars on the edge of the screen. It can be on the top/bottom, left/right/ or all of them.

It can also do the flamethrower attack from our previous encounter in either phase, but that should be the least of your worries.

It's VERY easy to accidentally run into one of those pillars and quickly reduce our HP.

But this time I'm not recording at 2 AM and actually remembered to bring Charge assist.

In the end, there's one assist fit for finishing the job.

:allears:

Stats Updated

Possible EXP: 580/584/588/592/596/600

Fun fact: The loops against the fires in the first phase still counts towards capturing, so if you're quick you can capture Entei before even getting to the second phase.

Another fun fact: All these beasts have the same maximum EXP.

Music stops

Leader! You were safe after all! ...Spenser... We... I don't know how to explain it... But we rescued Gordor, in spite of him being the enemy to Pokemon and us...
That's OK. You did the right thing. To do the best we can to help people in need--that's what a Ranger does!

...Good-bye. Good-bye, you legendary Pokemon. ...Oh, no!
*To Spenser* Leader! We have to chase and capture Gordor!

LUNICK!!! YOU loving IDIOT!!! :argh:

Capture a human? Lunick... That isn't a Ranger's job. He'll come to understand what he did was absolutely wrong. We have to put our faith in that. I'm more concerned about you two and Plusle and Minun. You're not hurt, are you? ...Don't worry about me. Joel arrived on the scene right after you left. We got to play superheroes together, just like old times. Hahaha!
OK, superhero Leader. Lunick reporting in on our latest mission. Circe was simply awe inspiring. She came up with a performance that surpassed all her achievements so far. And... Our Plusle and Minun were the keys to thwarting Gordor's vile scheme.

Plusle: Plah pla!

Minun: Maai mai!

That's right, Lunick did absolutely jack poo poo :colbert:

Plusle, Minun, thank you! OK, team! Let's head back to the Ranger Base. We need to show the professor that we're OK before he gets too anxious!

New Music: The End

I'm utterly mystified. What drove you to do such a thing? When we were young, we worked side by side on our studies, you and I. We were comrades in arms!

Gordor's Laugh: 16

Comrades in arms? Keep your sappy sentimentality out of this. Because of you, my research was always considered second rate. In time, you became the chief of technology for the Ranger Union... ...Even while the results of my studies went without ever seeing the light of day. I prepared... I prepared over many long years in hopes of one day proving to the world that I was the better of us. But my dream was just that--a dream... A dream broken by your cherished Rangers. Hastings... Laugh if you want. Laugh all you want at me--always the pathetic loser to you...
Gordor... Why don't you just fold up the Go-Rock Squad and shoo your followers away? Then, come join me at our lab. Your gifted abilities are sure to be of benefit to people. Well, Gordor, will you join us?
Hastings... Do you seriously think I could do that? You haven't changed much at all... *leaves past Hastings*
Gordor! Where do you intend to go? There will always be a place for you in our lab!

When it comes right down to it, the Stylers you make are the greatest, Professor!
Prof. Hastings! Don't tell me you couldn't stand to wait anymore and came here alone? But there's nothing to worry about, sir! Our young Rangers have saved Fiore from calamity.
*To Circe and Lunick* Well, are you exhausted? Plusle and Minun... Feeling hungry? Both of you, Circe and Lunick... Your faces are filthy with grime, and your uniforms are falling apart. Circe, it reminds me of the day you first arrived in Fall City. You were pale...and wearing that crisp new uniform... It really didn't suit you at all. But now, it's different. You look the part completely. Circe, you've toughened up. I hope you'll keep going on as a Ranger with pride in your heart always!

Music: Mission Clear!

OK, team! Let's return to our Ranger Base!

*They all go outside*

New Music: Main Theme

I'm ever so grateful! We owe it all to you!
I was so worried about you! I came straight over from town!
I knew you'd do it for us!
Hey there, Circe! You're great! The greatest, even!

That's Larry, by the way.

Big guy, you're so cool! Big girl, you're so fabulous!
It's me, Murph! I came to get you! Hey! Over here! Please look!
Graaah! Do you remember me now? I bailed out from the Go-Rock Squad!

New Music: Credits

And that's Pokemon Ranger!

All in all, it's an amazing, if very experimental game.

It is undoubtedly a difficult game, so this might not be good for everyone.

I personally think this one is still better than the second game, with the third one being the best. We'll talk about those games later.

After all, we're not done with this game just yet.

We're still missing several Pokemon in our Pokedex Browser collection.

There's also several areas we haven't explored due to them being blocked with a target we couldn't clear.

Moreover, we have the non-relic capture challenges that we haven't touched yet.

But for now, I want to thank you guys for reading this far.

Making this LP is a blast, and having DN as a co-commentator is a great experience.

As for what we're going to do next, I'll...IS THAT KYOGRE?! :stare:

Seems like the Quads are just living normal life now. Good for them :unsmith:

This isn't the end of the LP, though. Getting back to what I was saying...

There are tons of Postgame contents available, and I'll leave the order we tackle them up to a vote. Here's our choices:
  • Getting new Pokemon and exploring new areas
  • Trying out the Capture Challenges
  • Seeing what was up with that Kyogre
  • Looking at what this "Ranger Net" is
  • Finally getting that Manaphy which is the only reason you bought this game

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

Grimey Drawer
I say we check what's up with Kyogre.

But anywho, though the LP ain't over, thank you for showing us Circe's journey from rookie to Best Ranger Forever in the span of what, 2 in-game weeks? Don't remember how much they reference the passage of time.

Crosspeice
Aug 9, 2013

This game is rad as hell, and it was always an idea I had to LP it cause I really wanted to show it off, cheers for showing me a lot of stuff I didn't know about!

And I'd say we need to take one step up and tackle some big ol' legendaries.

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

Thanks for showing us the game! I definitely remember playing one of the ranger games, but this wasn't it, maybe on a next lp.

Also Kyogre!

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

ASHERAH DEMANDS I FEAST, I VOTE FOR A FEAST OF FLESH
What's up with this Ranger Net thing

Polderjoch
Jun 27, 2019

May the sacred flame guide me... Or something like that.

1234567890num posted:

I personally think this one is still better than the second game, with the third one being the best. We'll talk about those games later.

:hmmyes:

Also I think it's time to check out that Kyogre.

BisbyWorl
Jan 12, 2019

Knowledge is pain plus observation.

The styler spelling out The End is cute as hell.

Anyways, let's go check out Kyogre

Black Robe
Sep 12, 2017

Generic Magic User

I wanna vote for getting new pokeymans and exploring new areas, but I figure that'll happen as a side effect of doing the other stuff, so sure, let's check out Kyogre.

I've enjoyed this more than I expected to, this game is cute and though I think I'd be annoyed by the gameplay myself I've liked following the LP.

The Golux
Feb 18, 2017

Internet Cephalopod

I want that Manaphy dangit!

1234567890num
Oct 6, 2017

Well folks, looks like we're going to be dealing with Kyogre.

Let's look at some more maps while we're waiting.

...I still hate this mission :argh:

I didn't realize it in the actual mission, but Panula Cave is huge.

It's very easy to get lost in the teleport maze. Just try to follow what's printed there (not what I added) alphabetically in order to get everything important.

1234567890num fucked around with this message at 15:35 on Oct 20, 2019

1234567890num
Oct 6, 2017

Your captures of the three legendary Pokemon were works of brilliance. You've become a Pokemon Ranger in every regard. It's obvious to see. Up to now, you weren't permitted to take Pokemon living in one area to a different environment. I'm giving you the authority to freely take Pokemon from one area to another without any restrictions. Don't worry about releasing Pokemon in unfamiliar habitats. A Ranger of your caliber only has to wish the Pokemon to return home safely upon release. When you do that, the released Pokemon will return to wherever they came from, however far it may be.

Seems like this game runs with Octopath's rule of releasing help.

Listen, Circe. You're going to be able to do even more as a Ranger now. I'm going to leave it up to you to explore the four corners of Fiore using your own free will. I want you to capture as many Pokemon as possible to further sharpen your skills. Of course, what you do willl entail great responsibility.

There's a lot of backtracking involved...

Hahaha! You say that, but your expression says your twitching with anticipation!

Circe, I have a small request for you.

Guess this is going to be another case of "But thou must".

What's that?! Is my hearing deserting me in my old age? I'm afraid I didn't catch your reply. I'll repeat my request, so if you could reply loudly this time...

Guess we don't have any choice.

Ah, excellent! You'll do it! Circe, thank you. I'll borrow your Styler for a short time. *grabs Circe's styler* OK... Take this here... Tinker with that there... Connect this to that... And, done! Circe, here is your Styler back.

Yes! You received the newly upgraded Styler from the professor!

......?

............?

..................?

I love this callback to all the way back from the first update :allears:

Let me briefly explain what is new with your Styler. The new attachment adds a function called the Ranger Record. It lets you see such data as how many Pokemon you've captured, how many steps you have walked, and so on. And how do you access such data, you ask? It's quite elementary. Open the menu and touch "Records." You can use it to check the milestones of your career as a Ranger.

Wasn't there a Wintown Ranger talking about how nice this would be?

I get it, Professor! That is a convenient feature. I'd be able to look up records of my own Ranger career and apply that knowledge to improve my skills.
Exactly, Spenser. What you said is what i want to see happen. If this field test turns out well, I plan to add this feature to all Stylers. For now, I would like Circe to test it out under a variety of conditions.
*To Circe* Very well, Circe. I shall leave the testing in your hands. There's no need for you to be especially aware of the new feature. You should merely carry on as you always would. And now, I must bid you all farewell. If you happen to be in Fall City do come visit me at our lab. *leaves*
Circe, you're lucky to get that new feature. It goes to show the great expectations the professor has in you. There is no end to the Ranger's path. It's a long and challenging road, but we can walk it together, all of us!
There was something that happened on the Fiore Temple mission that had me feeling a little choked up. You remember when Plusle and Minun started dancing on Gordor's organ keyboard? My Minun and your Plusle danced in perfect harmony as if they were twins. Right then, the two of them were completely linked on an emotional level.

Because we captured Plusle, we don't get to capture Minun :confuoot:

It's like how soccer players practice ball-juggling with their feet. Or how baseball players constantly practice their swings. I think Rangers should keep their skills sharp by doing as many captures as possible.
Circe, be good to your friends. I've made it a habit to regularly visit Joel, Cameron, and Elita among other friends.
There's nothing left for me to teach you, Circe. Now it's up to you to explore and choose what sort of a Ranger you want to become. There's nothing to fear. If anyone can do it, you can, Circe.
Circe, we sure made friends with many Rangers, didn't we? I wonder how our friends in other towns are doing? It'd be great to visit them.
I was just thinking of the Go-Rock Quads... I wonder if those close siblings are moving forward as musicians?

...We? Our? You only had like 2 lines with Aria and none with any other rangers.

I'd love to clear missions with you again, Circe.
Do you remember what I said to you the first time I met you, Circe? I sure do! I said, "Oh, yeah, yeah," as a greeting. I was just trying to act cool so the new recruit wouldn't, you know, like, think I'm a wimp or something. But I don't have to act big in front of you anymore at all. After all, we're friends now.

That's nice :unsmith:

Circe! What are you up to? I'm in the middle of a mission. Want to know what kind of a mission it is? Oh, I can see it in your eyes! You're itching to know! The mission I'm on is... "Write your own theme song!" I'm not all finished yet, but want to hear what I have so far? "The Theme for Murph." Go, go, go, Ranger go! Ranger Murph's on the turf. Ooh, yeah, yeah! He's always there to take the call! You can knock him down, but he won't stay down! (Spin that Styler, baby!) He's always willing to answer the call! Go, go, go, Ranger fly! Ranger Murph's on the surf! Ooh, yeah, yeah! He's so fly! It's not quite finished, but I like how it's shaping up.

That's nice too...I guess...?

The Ranger Records lists plenty of statistics. Included stuff (and our current stats):
  • No. of Steps Walked (15660 steps)
  • No. of Conversations (467)
  • Targets Checked (99)
  • Capture Attempts (323)
  • Pokemon Captured (366 Pokemon)
  • Abandoned Attempts (Fled) (59)
  • Capture Line Length (1940 Feet)
  • No. of Loops (4855)
  • Poke Assists Used (110)
  • No. of Times Plusle Helped (47)
  • No. of Times the Styler Broke (0)
  • No. of Saves (14)
  • Current Exp. Points (23573)
  • Marine Challenge High Score (0 Pts.)
  • Most Captures in Marine Challenge (0 Pokemon)
  • Grassland Challenge High Score (0 Pts.)
  • Most Captures in Grassland Challenge (0 Pokemon)
  • Capture Arena High Score (0 Pts.)
  • Most Captures in Capture Arena (0 Pokemon)

Keep in mind that those numbers are inaccurate since I used savestates liberally during this LP. Not that it matters since there's no reward from them. I'll probably forget this exists after this LP :j:

Music: Fall City

It's on full standby to deal with any kind of mission.

We could talk with the Ringtown residents, but we'll do that another time. For now, we'll visit Fall City and see what that Kyogre is about.

To: Circe

How do you like the Ranger Record feature? Do you find it useful? I want to hear your opinion on it, so how about you visit our lab? I shall be waiting impatiently, as always!

It can't hurt to visit Hastings, I think. It's just a loose Kyogre, after all. What's the worst that could happen? :v:

Despite all the extensive research, new discoveries are made every day. It's bewildering how little we know. That's why I love this job!
Ah, Circe! Very good of you to visit! The Ranger Record feature I added to your Styler: how do you like it? Is it useful for your Ranger activities?

I like it, but it's not that useful.

Sure, I guess.

Ah, very well! Let's not waste any time. Tell me, what sort of situations did you experience while in the field? Beg your pardon? I'm rushing you too much, am I? Hahaha! Pardon me--rather thoughtless of me! The night is long, and it's still day. We can talk later.

*Fade to black*

What's that? Hmhm... I see! Hahaha! That sounds implausible... I see, I see...

I quite enjoyed our chat last night. Thank you so much!

Circe, Joel was looking for you. He said he had a new mission that he wanted you to handle. He wanted you to see him at the Ranger Base right away.
Could there be some trouble, perhaps? Circe, pay me no mind. You're needed at the Ranger Base immediately. Drop by for visits, my friend. You're always welcome here!

We're automatically brought here with no chance to grab any Pokemon.

I have a mission that I want you to do. Strange things have been happening in the Safra Sea lately. For instance, even though the barometer has held steady, there have been violent waves and abnormal tides. Pokemon that normally live in the sea have come ashore in great numbers, too. We also just received even more alarming news. The lighthouse there has suddenly gone dark. Unfortunately, what's causing these strange occurrences remains unknown. That's where you come in, Circe. I want you to accompany Aria to the port and get to the bottom of this.

Is this because we took the time off to chat with Hastings? :ohdear:

I said I don't need any help with this, you know? But our Leader said to wait for you, Circe.
I'm banking on your keen sense of intuition, Aria, and Circe's capture expertise. Without one or the other, it will be very difficult to take care of this mission. So, let me make it official. This is your mission. Go immediately to the port and investigate the strange occurrences in the Safra Sea.

There is a lot of mystery swirling around this mission. But I'm sure the two of you will manage just fine.

It looks like the two of you are good rivals.
Fall City's port is the Fiore region's gateway to the sea. This whole thing could make tourists avoid Fall City. That's what worries me most.
Circe, what's the holdup? Let's go already!

1234567890num fucked around with this message at 04:32 on Oct 28, 2019

Montegoraon
Aug 22, 2013
Nobody does but-thou-must better than Professor Rowan.

Black Robe
Sep 12, 2017

Generic Magic User

Montegoraon posted:

Nobody does but-thou-must better than Professor Rowan.

:agreed: No pretence, no excuse, just staring at you and watching you squirm until you give in. Rowan is the best professor.

I love the way the game explicitly says that releasing Pokemon wherever you want is bad, but then just handwaves it as 'I dunno, magic' and says it doesn't apply to you.

Nostalgamus
Sep 28, 2010

1234567890num posted:

I quite enjoyed our chat last night. Thank you so much!

This image is a repeat.

1234567890num
Oct 6, 2017

Music: Krokka Tunnel

Again, we're automatically brought here. I have no idea why the Krokka Tunnel music plays here instead of the actual harbor theme.

The lighthouse went dark without any warning! The way it is now, ships that pass in the night can't sail safely. I went into the lighthouse's basement to investigate, but... It was like... Well, it shivered my timbers! I don't rightly recall their name, but the basement was full of them. A whole lot of squirmy things that looked like stars! If you want to know what I think, I'd say those things are behind...things! So, Rangers, what can you do for us? You can go into the basement this way.

The sailor then leads us to the entrance to the lighthouse's basement, which is just a few steps ahead (and we've been there before).

*When talked to* I'm counting on you, Rangers! Do something about those squirmy star things!
*When talked to* There has to be a cause behind all this, but...

My husband's never seen the sea before, so we came down for a visit from up in the mountains. But, is there something wrong with the sea? Is it always like this?
Let me recharge your Styler... ...But, it's full.

The sea's behaving oddly, too... What is happening here?

Kyogre is happening, that's what.

Music: Trouble

Hurry, capture them so they can be calmed down.

Thanks for helping, Aria :rolleyes:

Dealing with 4 Staryu simultaneously absolutely sucks. Good thing we have Plusle ready to go!

It was the Staryu that caused the lighthouse's outage. I guess we're finished here. Let's get out.

Circe! That screaming came from the Tourist Center!

Please don't start channeling Lunick... :pray:

Eek! Help! Oh, it wasn't me screaming. I think that screaming came from the Tourist Center there.

We actually have to talk to the hiker from nearby so he can notice us. Otherwise, this'll happen.

............! In a bind? Your Styler...... Hand it over. *Recharges our Styler* ............ ...Here. Your Styler. Topped off.

I actually didn't know that this exists before this LP. Since we can't go back to the base and there's no Electric Pokemon around, I always thought there's no way to heal :sweatdrop:

Oh, please, Rangers! Help me! A whole tour bus worth of Krabby is running amok! They keep waving and clicking their snippers about, and it's so scary!

Have I said that I love this game? :allears:

Let's capture them and return them to the sea!

You should be able to catch Krabby even without Plusle's help. We'll want to use this chance to build up that assist gauge.

Thank you. You saved us! My knees are still knocking together, but I'm almost back to feeling OK. But what is going on? There've been so many strange things...

*When talked to* What made all those Krabby come ashore and run amok?
*When talked to* Oh my goodness, that was frightening. Thank you, Rangers.
*When talked to* This is my first visit to this here Fiore region. But never in my life did I think I'd get saved by Rangers! I mean, you folks are like the symbols of Fiore! Let me tell you, you've given me a whale of a tale to tell the folks back home. That's the greatest souvenir of all!

Aww, thanks :blush:

What was that? That shouting! It came from the pier!

Oh what now?

Those Pokemon are called Car-something, I think it was. They're not what you'd expect to see around here normally.

I thought Carnivine was a Gen 4 Pokemon?

Oh, right. I sometimes forget this Pokemon exists. Normally, we can find them only in the Marine Challenge.

They seem to be very agitated, too. What's happening in the sea to make them behave like that? Anyways, you'd better capture them so they can calm down.

Carvanha attacks by biting while moving. The bite has a surprisingly large range.

Required Loops: 4
Possible EXP: 32/37/42/47/52/57

Ideally you'd want to capture them without Plusle since it's going to be needed shortly, but I use it here to demonstrate what will happen if you don't go to the next capture prepared.

Whoa, matey, you're something special! You have my thanks! But it makes me wonder--why are we seeing all these weird things happen one after another?

Circe, look! Over there! Whirlpools! Look how many there are! That can't be possible!

Circe! Don't you say that you can communicate with Lapras? I think you can get close to those whirlpools if you catch a ride on Lapras. I'll stay here at the port to protect the citizens from harm. Circe, please go out on Lapras and investigate those mystery whirlpools!

Good to see that Aria is (allegedly) doing something offscreen, I guess. Definitely better than Lunick just standing there slack-jawed, leaving Gordor to escape while Circe did all the capturing.

*When talked to* Going near those whirlpools will be seriously dangerous. ...But I'm not going to try stopping you. Lapras seems bent on doing it, too.
*When talked to* Get to it, Circe!

Video: Kyogre

Music stops

Oh wait, Lapras can't learn Whirlpool in Gen 3 :rip:

Good thing Lapras knows Dive in addition to Surf.

...Would've been nice to know that before we went through the whole Aquamole escort quest :mad:

It's incredible! It's Kyogre! There appear to be vicious bite marks on its back. The only thing that could inflict wounds like that would be another legendary Pokemon--Groudon. Kyogre must have encountered its archrival, Groudon, somewhere and engaged it in battle. The mysterious whirlpools appear to be made by the thrashings of Kyogre.

I like to think that was Circe's monologue. The talking Styler technology won't be developed until the third game, after all.

Either way, it's time to capture Kyogre.

Kyogre's only attack is these waves, but they hurt. 6 hits and we're dead.

Our only tactic is to raise Plusle's gauge so that it can stun Kyogre long enough to give us time for 11 loops. You'd need 3 bars if you can loop quickly and 4 otherwise.

...And that's it. The bulk of that video is just me trying to get some loops and ended up overshooting it by half a bar.

It's not fun if you're not prepared, as you can guess. At least they have the decency to make all the Pokemon in this mission weak to Plusle. You know, unlike Salamence.

The tradeoff is that you have no way to save in this mission, unlike Salamence where you can save right before it. All in all, I still think Kyogre is better.

Required Loops: 11
Possible EXP: 600/679/758/837/916/995

...What's up with those odd values? :raise:

Unlike most Pokemon, Kyogre is released by diving into the water. This also applies to Carvanha, but not to Kingdra. Gyarados, meanwhile, was never released onscreen.

Music: Fall City Harbor

I'm so relieved... It's been so long since you were swallowed up by those whirlpools... I thought maybe... I even teared up a little thinking about it... I shouldn't have worried... Oh, wait a second! I'm kidding! Of course I didn't cry! You don't really think I'd cry? But that's not important. What happened when you were down in the sea?

*Circe explains what happened*

Kyogre?! Those whirlpools were made by Kyogre? And those whirlpools made all those other Pokemon behave abnormally? But the whirlpools are gone now. So does that mean Kyogre's wounds are healed? Gee, Circe, that's just fantastic! Let's go back to the Ranger Base and file a report to our Leader.

I just got word from the sailor in port that the sea has calmed down. He was definitely grateful.
Circe got the job done. I wish you would've been there to see it for yourself, Leader! ...Of course, the last part all took place under the waves. So I don't know exactly what happened, either. But Circe appears to have discovered what was causing the recent troubles. Apparently, the cause was Kyogre. It was in agony from injuries sustained in a battle against an unknown enemy.
What did you say? The legendary Kyogre?! If that is the case, there's no doubt in my mind that its opponent was Groudon. Their colossal battles have been well documented in legends from long ago. But who could have ever imagined that their battles would be repeated now, in this day and age? Kyogre must have come to the Fiore region to heal its wounds. Whatever the case may be... This mission has unexpectedly given us a new theme for studying Pokemon. Aria and Circe! You've cleared your mission with flying colors! Great work, you two!

They didn't bother giving Aria any Ranger pose :effort:

Well, I'm glad that's over. And Circe, I'm glad you're safe. ...Hunh? Circe, did you say something? ...?! ...In the port?! I was crying? What are you talking about?! I didn't do any crying! All I'm saying is that if you were to go away, I wouldn't feel so pressed to work harder, that's all! Cry over you, Circe? You've got to be joking!
Hahahaha! It's as if you two were Kyogre and Groudon. Even though you haven't seen each other in a while, the instant you meet, you're already bashing each other. I hope none of us innocent bystanders get caught up in your squabbling. Just like what Staryu and Carvanha went through this time. Hahahahaha!

Krabby: "Please notice me Joel senpai"

*Fade to black*

Now that we're done with Kyogre, it's time for another vote! Our choices are:
  • Getting Groudon. Yeah, I'm not going to bother hiding that we can catch Groudon in this game.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Being done with Kyogre, it only makes sense to go get Groudon.

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Let's get some Pizza and explore new areas. Maybe find some new poke's on the way too.

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

Might as well go for Groudon.

BisbyWorl
Jan 12, 2019

Let's go catch Groudon.

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

ASHERAH DEMANDS I FEAST, I VOTE FOR A FEAST OF FLESH

Zanzibar Ham posted:

Let's get some Pizza and explore new areas. Maybe find some new poke's on the way too.

Pizza and exploration you say?

explore away

1234567890num
Oct 6, 2017

It was close, but Groudon wins by one vote.

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Can you get a pizza on the way to Groudon too, at least?

1234567890num
Oct 6, 2017

I don't think pizza exists in Fiore :(

Even ice cream doesn't exist until introduced by Unova

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Wow, crazy!

1234567890num
Oct 6, 2017

I just remembered that there's multiple dialogues for NPC at Ranger Bases, so I added the ones for Ringtown in a previous update. I can't believe I forgot the most important thing in the game (Murph's theme song)!

It's like how soccer players practice ball-juggling with their feet. Or how baseball players constantly practice their swings. I think Rangers should keep their skills sharp by doing as many captures as possible.
Circe, be good to your friends. I've made it a habit to regularly visit Joel, Cameron, and Elita among other friends.
There's nothing left for me to teach you, Circe. Now it's up to you to explore and choose what sort of a Ranger you want to become. There's nothing to fear. If anyone can do it, you can, Circe.
Circe, we sure made friends with many Rangers, didn't we? I wonder how our friends in other towns are doing? It'd be great to visit them.
I was just thinking of the Go-Rock Quads... I wonder if those close siblings are moving forward as musicians
I'd love to clear missions with you again, Circe.
Do you remember what I said to you the first time I met you, Circe? I sure do! I said, "Oh, yeah, yeah," as a greeting. I was just trying to act cool so the new recruit wouldn't, you know, like, think I'm a wimp or something. But I don't have to act big in front of you anymore at all. After all, we're friends now.
Circe! What are you up to? I'm in the middle of a mission. Want to know what kind of a mission it is? Oh, I can see it in your eyes! You're itching to know! The mission I'm on is... "Write your own theme song!" I'm not all finished yet, but want to hear what I have so far? "The Theme for Murph." Go, go, go, Ranger go! Ranger Murph's on the turf. Ooh, yeah, yeah! He's always there to take the call! You can knock him down, but he won't stay down! (Spin that Styler, baby!) He's always willing to answer the call! Go, go, go, Ranger fly! Ranger Murph's on the surf! Ooh, yeah, yeah! He's so fly! It's not quite finished, but I like how it's shaping up.

The Golux
Feb 18, 2017

Internet Cephalopod

oh Murph

1234567890num
Oct 6, 2017

By the way, do you get this feeling that the people of Fall City have changed? Lately, I think they're trying to do what they can for themselves without running for a Ranger right away. There's a sense of determination that was missing before.

We'd probably know more about this if we talked to the NPC here. But we'll leave that for later.

Do you remember that Charizard? The one that the Go-Rock Squad was hurting? I can still picture the happy expression it wore when you captured it. That's when it really made me feel good about being a Ranger.
Did you see Spenser's record at the Capture Arena? Our Leader Joel would be the only person capable of beating that record.
Even if I'm not on a mission, I try to make ten captures a day. That's my daily goal. Circe, do you set goals like that for yourself?

Circe doesn't need to; she captures more than 10 Pokemon every mission :smug:

This is just between you and me, but did you notice how Aria's a lot nicer to everyone? I think it's because of you, Circe. Of course, she still gets upset over little things.
I'm glad you came, Circe. I understand that you've been working on your capture skills while patrolling. That's really heartening to hear. I think you're going to be a role model for all Rangers, not just those on your team.
Is there anyone that you consider a good rival? A rival is a good thing to have. A rival is someone that you're always aware of. Someone that you compete against. A times, a rival is someone you work alongside to achieve a common goal. I have a rival in Spenser. At first, we collided and fought over every possible thing. But now we're friends beyond reproach. It's funny how people's lives get intertwined.
Riding Pokemon is sure fun, isn't it? I just came back from patrol on my Dodrio. The weather was perfect, and it felt so good... I found myself singing loudly... It's a bad habit of mine.

Sadly, we only get to ride the Dragonite in this game :smith:

Who is your rival? Lunick? Aria? Or could it be Murph?

The thread voted for Groudon, but let's brag about Kyogre to Spenser first.

Hey, I heard from Joel. You captured a Kyogre?! That's mind blowing!

:smug:

Yeah, somewhat...

I bet you would be. Everyone would be tired after what you went through. Circe, Cameron's prepared the perfect gift for someone in your shoes. He arranged a vacation stay for you and Lunick in Summerland. For a change, Cameron's gift is just what the doctor ordered. I know it's for a private vacation, but I'll authorize the use of the Dragonite Bus. Lunick is already in Summerland, so you should meet up with him there.
Vacation! Vacation! Ooh, it's a holiday getaway! It's a reward, Circe! Don't worry about Ringtown, we'll take good care of it while you're gone.
That's right. Murph knows what I'm talking about. Don't worry about us. Go on and have a good relaxing time. Say hi to Cameron for me when you get there. That's all I ask.

Screw Groudon, we're having a vacation! :woop::woop::woop:

Take care, now!

We're off! :wave:

Of all the rotten times to invite you out on a vacation... What with this abnormal heat wave and all these earthquakes... So much for getting some rest and relaxation... But there's something else. It's got me worried even more. It's Lunick... He went to the Jungle Relic to investigate the underground volcano. We've lost contact with him. Lunick'd been looking forward to meeting up with you right here in Summerland. He said he'd have to get done with his mission and get back to the Ranger Base before you showed up. Yup, he sure seemed eager to meet up with you again, but...

*Earthquake*

Yikes! It's shaking again!
Oh, oh! Watch for fires!
That quake just now... Do you reckon it's the underground volcano again? Circe, sorry, but I'm going to have to pull rank here and be a heartless taskmaster. I hereby cancel your vacation leave! First, I need you to find Lunick, who's supposed to be at the Jungle Relic. Second, I want you to team up with Lunick. Then, the both of you together should uncover what's causing all the trouble. That, my friend, is the mission from this heartless taskmaster!

Cameron... How could you... :negative:

I know I'm being heartless...
*When talked to* Please, get on with the mission...
*When talked to* I've never seen our Leader looking so scary.
*When talked to* Oh well. I guess your vacation will have to wait.

It's because you two are too inept to go to the ruins! :argh:

Guess we'd better get started, then :sigh:

(We're instantly teleported here, so we don't have to go through the jungle).

Music: Olive Volcano

We're railroaded into going the other way.

A Rhydon has appeared in a spot where a Graveler was. This is very useful because...

...it can be used just a few steps later.

Circe?! You came to rescue me?! There was a tremor that caused a rockfall. I was trapped down here. I started thinking what might happen to me if no one came. I felt so lost and discouraged... Circe, thanks. Thanks for coming. I'll be OK now.

What was that roar? It sounded like a quake.
*When talked to* Circe... Your vacation's ruined... I'm sorry.

It's not your fault for once. If only those Summerland Rangers weren't so incompetent! :argh:

The room Lunick was trapped in now contains Poliwrath (it was Poliwhirl before).

With that, we can now proceed further inside and get into a grunt battle.

Wait, what?

Hey, hey, sweethearts! Having a little date alongside this scenic magma pond? I've been here dreaming abut the return of the Go-Rock Squad. I'm working my way up to big capers from petty crimes--it's a start, right? You know who I am? I'm the Solo Go-Rock Squad! ...You snickered? You'll pay for that!

Alright, hotshot. Here's a tip: don't bring Metal Pokemon into a volcano with plenty of Fire Pokemon.

Huh? So Solo Go-Rock Squad is a silly name after all... I mean, it would take more than one to make a squad. I guess it'd work for you two. Look at you--all friendly and all. It makes me jealous!

This mission feels a lot shorter than our last one, with only one forced battle (and two mandatory captures) before the boss.

Slugma and Magcargo can now be found in the room where we fought Clyde and his Slaking.

Arcanine can now be found in the room where we fought Entei.

It moves fast and breathes fire. Easy enough to handle with an assist.

Possible EXP: 140/150/160/170/180/190

The lava near Charmander's spot is now gone for some reason. This lets us keep our Poliwrath for Groudon, so I'm not complaining.

Groudon is just down that hole, but let's go ahead a bit...

And encounter our final new Pokemon in this area. Yes, there's just two of them and it's best to get them both during this mission.

If you look at the map, Charmander and Charmeleon's area looks like a Charizard. That's a nice touch :allears:

Charmeleon itself is a pushover.

Possible EXP: 40/42/44/46/48/50/52/54/56/60

That sure is a long list of optional EXP. It's very easy to get, at least.

With that done, let's drop down the hole.

Going down leads us to a one-way path towards Beldum's area (in front of what used to be The Challenge of Wind).

Obviously we want to go up instead. If we came here before this mission, that door won't open and it'll be a waste of everyone's time.

You're kidding me! Groudon?! It's awesome! I never thought I'd get to see the legendary Groudon up close! But there's something wrong. It seems to be in pain! Maybe we can help... Circe, do you think you can capture it?

Video: Groudon

We might have more assist available against Groudon, but the game will also make it harder for us.

Groudon starts the battle with Earthquake and will continue doing so as a counterattack.

Its main attack is Hyper Beam, which has very little warning. It will do this three times consecutively in different directions.

It won't do Hyper Beam again for a while, which is our chance to capture it. Except there's no way you'd be able to make all 17 loops during that time, so you'd have to survive at least one round of Hyper Beams.

This battle is a simple but tough one. Not shown: my various failed attempts. I tried using Sceptile, but it won't help since Groudon doesn't move around much.

You know what would be very nice here? An Ice assist. Which of course isn't available because Groudon decided to hang out in a volcano instead of an ice cave...

Here's a useful tip: all Pokemon who attack consecutively into different directions will always attack diagonally. ALWAYS.

Hey, check it out! There are four gouges on its neck! Only one thing could have inflicted wounds like that on Groudon. It must have been another legendary Pokemon--Kyogre! I'm sure that's what it fought. It just has to be that Kyogre you captured in the sea, Circe. After its battle, Groudon must have come here to tend to its wounds. It must have thrashed around in agony and set off the underground volcano. The poor Groudon... It's OK now, big guy. Go back to where you came from.

Circe, I guess we're done. We should head back. Maybe we can enjoy the trip home... Like a vacation?

I don't know... The jungle holds too much bad memories of that escort quest...

Boy, am I glad to see you two again. Some vacation I invited you on, huh? Talk about the worst possible timing...
Cameron, don't be silly! We owe you a big thanks! We got treated to an outing in an exotic location that won't ever be in any travel guidebook! We enjoyed one hot, exciting vacation, I swear! We also got to meet Groudon. And we met this Solo Go-Rock Squad... Wahahaha! Thinking about that guy cracks me up!
Yeah, I envy you for seeing Groudon. But that Solo Go-Rock Squad thing... I don't know what that's about. But anyways, thanks to you two, Summerland's back to normal. So, you've cleared that hot and exciting mission!

You know, I just said that Summerland's back to normal. But what's going on? It's still abnormally hot. What's causing this heat wave? ...Oh, I get it now! This heat... It's coming from this smiling couple right here! Did that vacation under intense heat inflame your passions? Oo-la-la! Ahahaha! Sorry, sorry! I'm just joking!

*Fade to black*

It's time for more votes! The choices are as follows:

We're not having a vote this time. Instead, I'm going to go ahead and follow the pattern from the last two votes.

1234567890num fucked around with this message at 15:31 on Oct 29, 2019

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

Grimey Drawer

1234567890num posted:

You know, I just said that Summerland's back to normal. But what's going on? It's still abnormally hot. What's causing this heat wave? ...Oh, I get it now! This heat... It's coming from this smiling couple right here! Did that vacation under intense heat inflame your passions? Oo-la-la! Ahahaha! Sorry, sorry! I'm just joking!

Nope, it's global warming :( Sadly not all problems are caused by, and solved by, pokemon.

1234567890num
Oct 6, 2017

It all started when Murph came to Summerland for a visit with his partner Slowpoke. We got to talking, and somehow our Politoed and Slowpoke decided to have a race. Well, my Politoed got cocky and ended up losing. I think that was a huge shock.

Proof that Murph is better than Percy in every way :colbert:

Oh, hi, Circe. Are you in Summerland for a little rest and recreation? (Giggle...) With you, I doubt that! You're here to patrol. But you should learn to relax every so often so you don't burn out. It's important for Rangers to balance things out so you're not always on the go.

And whose fault is it that Circe has to pick up the slack in Summerland? :argh:

Hey! You're here, Circe! How's it going? It sounds like you're busy, as always. You should try to relax when you're over here at least. Oh, yeah! Why don't you take the Capture Challenge?
The weather's brilliant again today... I guess I'll patrol the sea. ...What's that? Don't I need to patrol the jungle? Oh, come on now. How am I supposed to swim in the jungle? ...Uh, er... That's not what I meant to say... ...Gee, isn't it hot today?
Hey, Circe! You dropped in at the right time. See, I found something pretty neat down at the beach. I was just trying to decide who I should give it to as a gift. ...? What's wrong, Circe? Why are you backing away from me?

That Pelipper was going seriously fast. Our Leader looked cool then. I mean it.

I wish he would be more diligent even when there's no evil group, though.

Anyway, our next order of business is visiting our friends at the only Ranger Base we haven't visited yet: Wintown.

Music: Wintown

...Pardon me? What was I doing standing out here? I was looking out over the Sekra Range, which looms over Fiore in the north. I've been hearing disturbing rumors about the Fiore Temple lately... I've also been getting a sense of foreboding that something is not right... I'm hoping that it's all in my mind, but...

Well, since you're the only one who ever asked Circe nicely...

Thank you, Circe. I'll fill you in on the details in the Ranger Base. Let's go inside.

Apparently, some suspicious characters have been spotted coming and going from the Fiore Temple. No one seems to know their identities, but I have a bad feeling about it. I would worry too much if you were to go alone, so I want you to go with Silent Chris. I think you know this, but... Even though Chris may not have much to say, he is quite a passionate man.
Howdy.
All right, you two. This is what I want you two. This is what I want you to do. Investigate the activities of the mysterious gang that is reportedly in the Fiore Temple. That's your mission. Be sure to exercise all caution.

*When talked to* Have you heard? The legend about the dragon of Sekra Range? The legend says that every ten years, a Dragon-group Pokemon descends from the sky. Oh, wait a second. Maybe it was every dozen years, and not once a decade?

Take a guess as to who will be involved in this mission.

No trek through Sekra Range needed, which is nice.

Odd. Door's open.

Still not talking much even though Elita isn't here? Okay then.

Just wanted to show that the game literally calls this guy "Creep".

I surely can point out some shady characters. They're right close... Why, it's you, standing before my very eyes!

Use Plusle to stun them, easily captured, you know the drill.

This is our Styler reaching lv 16. I'm pretty sure the maximum is 20. There's almost no chance of us reaching it, though.

What!? Hey! You made my Pokemon run off! Why would you do something like that, you, you, shady villains! I won't forget you did this! You don't mess with us Go... Go... Goat's-milk cheese is my favorite! *flees*
What's with him?
*When talked to* Goat's-milk cheese... Never had any.

Do goats even exist in Fiore? Gogoat was introduced in Gen 6, so :shrug:

There's some new Pokemon here, such as this Ralts. Catching it in a hedge maze is marginally better than catching it in a teleporter maze.

It still teleports often enough that it will eventually warp into us, so reaching it is still not that hard.

Kirlia's and Gardevoir's warp animation is quite long, so it's easy to reach them before the animation finishes.

Normally a villain wouldn't be allowed to attack a magical girl during their animations, but Circe isn't a villain so it's fine :sparkle:

Like before, the only way forward is to the top of the temple.

By the way, the annoying Ariados right in the middle of the path has been moved into the end of the ruins :toot:

Kirlia and Gardevoir have short flee timers.

Required Loops: 9
Possible EXP: 58/66/74/82/90/98

The rest of the Pokemon here are the same (except for Flareon/Vaporeon/Jolteon who all have mysteriously disappeared).

*They approach the same tablet as before*

Writing here... "When upon the sacred dais are placed the chosen Pokemon, the path shall be revealed." So what?

*Pedestals rise up*

What happened is blatant padding and recycling of ideas.

Left pedestal An infant Pokemon that wields psychic power.

Must be.

Middle pedestal A youthful Pokemon that wields psychic power.
Right pedestal A majestic and mature Pokemon that wields psychic power.

Just like before, all three Pokemon are released immediately :sadwave:

You heroic-looking folks... Did you pop the door for me? That saved me a spot of bother. You see, our plan is far, far behind schedule. So they're running me ragged delivering messages back and forth. But we're getting it together. Because we're the Go... Um... The Go... Going my way is what I mean to say... Gotta go! Thanks! *flees*

Plan?
*When talked to* That guy... Who is he?

:iiam:

Darn it! The Rangers are onto us! We're the Go... Uh, in other words, the Go... Uh, the Go, Go... I can't think of anything! We're the Go-Rock Squad! Want to make something of it?!

Gasp. Shock. Who could have foreseen this. :geno:

We're strangers of danger! And we mess with the Rangers! Gee, it's been so long since I last said that... So that's how it is! I'm going to mess with you!

Taking out Swellow is easy with Plusle's help. Solrock should be no problem as long as you can avoid its bullshit attack.

You looped, and I'm hooped! I'm out of Pokemon, and besides, you're too tough! That's my cue to skedaddle! *flees*
*When talked to* Go Rock Squad... Still around.

Hah! Surprised, are you?! The Go-Rock Squad still lives on! Those of us who won't admit guilt... We got together in secret to hatch our secret plan! We won't let you ruin our dream!

As long as you have an assist to take care of those Donphan, you're golden. Plenty of them work well here.

Blast it! Blast it already! We're so close! That wickedly great Pokemon is almost in the Go-Rock Squad's hands! *flees*

What wickedly great Pokemon?

Oh. That wickedly great Pokemon.

(Middle) I'm way too weak!
(Left) This is a disaster! Here we have the legendary Rayquaza right before our eyes... And we can't do a thing about it!
(Right) Our Styler are too wimpy! There goes our plan to rebuild the Go-Rock Squad using Rayquaza! *flees*

Welp. Guess it's up to us to fix their mess.

Video: Rayquaza

The legend...
It lives and breathes right before my eyes!
Rayquaza!
That's Rayquaza!
Is this really happening? Is this all one huge dream?
No! This is no dream! This is truly reality!
Oh, Rayquaza, Rayquaza! What makes you Rayquaza?!
You've unleashed a torrent of inspiration in my quiet self! Words burst from me like a geyser!
Oh, Rayquaza, Rayquaza! Becalm your anger!
Forgive those wrongdoers for their mistakes!
...Circe!
Their inept capture attempt has enraged Rayquaza terribly!
Soothe the wild Pokemon with your righteous capturing expertise!

Alright, alright, if that will get you to stop talking for a bit. One minute you're silent and the next you're practically foaming at the mouth :rolleyes:

Anyway, it's time to face the last of the Hoenn trio. It's also by far the easiest of the three.

Its main attack is these energy balls. It will shoot these very slowly and it will move a bit after every shot.

It's so slow that we can make a loop between each of its shot.

It also lasts loving forever.

Seriously. It can shoot up to 16 balls consecutively. It's more than enough to get the extra EXP...

...gently caress. Now I have to start over :sigh:

If only there was an assist to help... There's no Dragon assist in this game, and Rayquaza is part Flying so Ice assist wouldn't work...

...huh. Apparently Ice do work on Rayquaza. Even if it didn't work on Altaria and Rayquaza is clearly levitating here. I don't know why it works now but I'll take it :dance:

This is its other attack, which seems like it's used after it breaks free of an assist's influence. Doesn't seem to be consistent, though.

Rayquaza is easy without Ice assist and a joke with it.

Required Loops: 13

Exact same EXP yields as Groudon and Kyogre.

Oh, Circe! You are truly the stuff of magnificence! So long as Rangers like you stand guard, never will this world fall into the hands of the ne'er-do-wells! ...Ah, Rayquaza appears to share the same opinion. Come, let us release it! Oh, Rayquaza, Rayquaza! Return now to the legend from which you came!

...Circe. As you may have already guessed, when I get inspired, I suddenly turn verbose. I can't stop talking! But, I beseech you, don't mention a word of this to Elita. She's bound to start calling me something like Gabby Chris, and you know how embarrassing that can be. Anyways, we should head for home ourselves.

Music: Ranger Net

Let's hear what you've discovered about those mysterious characters.
Remarkably, those mysterious characters turned out to be the Go-Rock Squad. What's more, they got to the legendary Rayquaza. They were forcibly trying to capture it.
The Go-Rock Squad?! ...It seems they haven't completely broken up after all... Go on. What became of Rayquaza?
You can rest easy. Circe's superb capture let it regain its composure and serenity. If Rayquaza is considered a legendary Pokemon... Then Circe will eventually come to be known as a legendary Ranger! That, I will guarantee on my very name and pride as Silent Chris! Oh, but that Rayquaza! It was a marvel to see as it ascended into the skies. Truly, a living Pokemon legend! ...I wish you could have bore witness too, Leader.
...Thank you, Chris. Imagine, capturing the legendary Rayquaza... Circe, you certainly are an outstanding Ranger. Good job, the both of you. You've cleared your mission!

By the way, Chris. What's gotten into you? You don't seem like the usual Silent Chris. The way you gushed... If I had to describe you... Gabby Chris might be a better fit?
Uh, er... Ahahaha...
What's wrong with you two? Why are you laughing at each other? What a pair of mysterious characters! Giggle...

Just know that it's not Circe's fault that Chris is having a new nickname :colbert:

Also, yes. Elita apparently did say "Giggle."

*Fade to black*

Now that we have knocked the Hoenn trio out of the list, it's time for a vote! Our options are:

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Let's get on the Ranger Net and say 'hi' to fellow kids.

Crosspeice
Aug 9, 2013

Well since I know how much you hate the capture challenges, I think it's only fair that we leave them to...

FIRST :twisted:

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Honestly I couldn't ever imagine leaving Manaphy to dry for so long...

...but you know, it can wait, so go for Ranger Net because I've forgotten what it is.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BisbyWorl
Jan 12, 2019

Let's go do the Capture Challenges.