Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Taking Red Christmas off my list...

The list of Christmas movies I ended up finding available to me when I went looking for holiday movies looks like this:

Black Christmas (Tubi/Kanopy)
A Christmas Horror Story (Hoopla)
Better Watch Out (Hoopla)
Rare Exports (Prime)
Krampus (FXNow)
Christmas Evil (Showtime)
The Children (Prime)
Home For The Holidays (Prime)

Plus a bunch of questionable stuff like Red Christmas. So like, I couldn't decide which to watch and really don't like watching Christmas movies this early so figured that's another list.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer
I’ve seen four of those STAC Goat and they’re all stone cold classics.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

Is the Silent Night, Deadly Night franchise worth watching?

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Gripweed posted:

The first 2 are.

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

STAC Goat posted:

Taking Red Christmas off my list...

The list of Christmas movies I ended up finding available to me when I went looking for holiday movies looks like this:

Black Christmas (Tubi/Kanopy)
A Christmas Horror Story (Hoopla)
Better Watch Out (Hoopla)
Rare Exports (Prime)
Krampus (FXNow)
Christmas Evil (Showtime)
The Children (Prime)
Home For The Holidays (Prime)

Plus a bunch of questionable stuff like Red Christmas. So like, I couldn't decide which to watch and really don't like watching Christmas movies this early so figured that's another list.

Shudder has that anthology All the Creatures Were Stirring which... isn’t amazing (and looks cheap as hell), but some of the stories were OK and it’s only 80 minutes long. Despite what the cover might imply, there are sadly no miniature monsters inside of Christmas tree ornaments.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord
I've never seen Black Christmas and now I'm super excited I have a reason to

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

Lurdiak posted:

The first 2 are.

More like the first 1 and a half since like three quarter's of 2's run time is just flashbacks to part 1. :D

Still worth watching though of course.

Stink Billyums
Jul 7, 2006

MAGNUM

Gripweed posted:

like a third of the run time on part two is reused footage from the first movie

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

COOL CORN posted:

I've never seen Black Christmas and now I'm super excited I have a reason to

the original and the remake are both really good. Original is better but both are worth checking out.

Tart Kitty
Dec 17, 2016

Oh, well, that's all water under the bridge, as I always say. Water under the bridge!

Gripweed posted:

4 is a horror curiosity, having been directed by Brian Yuzna and featuring effects work done by Screaming Mad George.

I mean is it good?

Oh hot gently caress, no.

the_american_dream
Apr 12, 2008

GAHDAMN

Gripweed posted:

You thought he was going to have a very small and brief explosion? Like, you thought Ayaode be the lead in a movie as big as Get Him To The Greek?

2010-12 he starred in 4 movies, had a late night talk show, hosted an awards show, and hosted Saturday night live so pretty good and yea in my opinion he was set for a similar run. Hope it’s cool with you that I thought that

the_american_dream fucked around with this message at 03:11 on Oct 24, 2019

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

the_american_dream posted:

2010-12 he starred in 4 movies, had a late night talk show, hosted an awards show, and hosted Saturday night live so pretty good and yea in my opinion he was set for a similar run. Hope it’s cool with you that I thought that

I sincerely apologize for being dismissive of Russel Brand's American career.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Tart Kitty posted:

4 is a horror curiosity, having been directed by Brian Yuzna and featuring effects work done by Screaming Mad George.

I mean is it good?

Oh hot gently caress, no.

Is 4 The Initiation? That one had some hosed up body horror and has Clint Howard cast as a cult’s sex brute. I remember watching it and being confused because it takes place in LA which is the most unchristmas like location you can set a Christmas horror movie in.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

I watched Guinea Pig 4: Devil Doctor Woman tonight. Mainly because the cover looked fun and I wanted to see how it differed to the more gore driven ones (which I’ve just skimmed through and never really watched).

It’s a frustrating film because even at 45 minutes there’s chunks that really drag, but it got some good laughs out of me and the Doctor character is awesome. If it was less inconsistent it would’ve been a really fun watch I think.

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

ruddiger posted:

Is 4 The Initiation? That one had some hosed up body horror and has Clint Howard cast as a cult’s sex brute. I remember watching it and being confused because it takes place in LA which is the most unchristmas like location you can set a Christmas horror movie in.
posting before somebody mentions Die Hard

Tart Kitty
Dec 17, 2016

Oh, well, that's all water under the bridge, as I always say. Water under the bridge!

ruddiger posted:

That’s the one. Yuzna/Screaming Mad George’s whole M.O. as a duo is to loosely frame a narrative around hosed up body horror. Hence, uh, Faust: Love Of The Damned

M_Sinistrari
Sep 5, 2008

Do you like scary movies?

ruddiger posted:

Someone gets strangled by Christmas lights.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

M_Sinistrari posted:

I'm assuming that happens in literally every movie on my list.

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

M_Sinistrari posted:

god i wish that were me

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

Just saw The Mortuary Collection and it's fun as hell. Want some above average Tales From The Crypt episodes with Clancy Brown as the Cryptkeeper? This is your jam.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6wIm9BiGBnc

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Jezebel posted:

I'm like the last person on this forum/ the planet discovering this but:

Black Christmas is SO GOOD.

Black Christmas is indeed amazing. Don't watch the remake though.

Are there any good horror remakes? And I mean genuinely good, not just passable or so bad they're fun. The only one that I can think of is the 2018 version of Susperia.

twerking on the railroad
Jun 23, 2007

Get on my level

Space Cadet Omoly posted:

It's looking like The Lighthouse isn't going to be showing in any of my local theaters and I'm feeling kind of bummed out about it because I was planning on going to see it this Halloween. I'm surprised it's not getting a wider release, the directors first film The VVitch was great.

Lighthouse has many many amazing parts to it, but it really does feel like less than the sum of its parts.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Are there any good horror remakes? And I mean genuinely good, not just passable or so bad they're fun. The only one that I can think of is the 2018 version of Susperia.

The Thing and The Fly jump to mind. I like Evil Dead.

Tart Kitty
Dec 17, 2016

I mean I’m of the genuine opinion that Carpenter’s The Thing is legit one of the best movies of all time, so

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Tart Kitty posted:

I mean I’m of the genuine opinion that Carpenter’s The Thing is legit one of the best movies of all time, so

I mean it is

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

I always forget that John Carpenter's The Thing is a remake, and yeah that is indeed one of the best movies ever.

Another amazing remake I was forgetting: Invasion of the Body Snatchers, and the American remake of the Ring was pretty good too.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

Fright Night and Quarantine are both pretty good, imo

gey muckle mowser
Aug 5, 2003

Do you know anything about...
witches?

Buglord
More remakes that I like more than the originals - The Blob, Maniac, Herzog’s Nosferatu, The Hills Have Eyes

The Peccadillo
Mar 4, 2013

We Have Important Work To Do
The Crazies from a few years ago was better than the original

Nine years ago, christ

The Peccadillo fucked around with this message at 12:49 on Oct 24, 2019

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

hah old ppl

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Kvlt! posted:

hah old ppl

Yeah, I like to laugh at boomers too

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord

Wait am I crazy or didn't they just start advertising the Black Christmas remake?

edit-- oh, there was a 2006 remake, and another coming out soon.

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

Iron Crowned posted:

Yeah, I like to laugh at boomers too

I laugh at millenials bc im younger than them, youre old too!

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer
Kvlt! is a part of the iGeneration.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Kvlt! posted:

I laugh at millenials bc im younger than them, youre old too!

YOu know your BFF Rob Zombie is pretty old

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

Im getting a tattoo of him tomorrow!

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
drat it's October 24th and I haven't watched a single Vincent Price movie yet this month. Obviously that will need to be corrected...

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

Basebf555 posted:

drat it's October 24th and I haven't watched a single Vincent Price movie yet this month. Obviously that will need to be corrected...

my man pop in the Tingler. Underappreciated Price.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

Kvlt! posted:

my man pop in the Tingler. Underappreciated Price.

Might just do that. Love The Tingler.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord
Kvlt! is a zomboomer