Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lagomorphic
Apr 21, 2008

AKA: Orthonormal
Whelp 10 games in a row vs Simic Ramp. Standard sure looks good now that Golos is gone.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gaardean
May 28, 2012

Bust Rodd posted:

I’ve heard tell of a Grixis Fires deck whose main win condition is an Elderspell + Nicol Bolas Combo kill.

Usually there's a Planewide Celebration in the wishboard as well, since 4x proliferation on Bolas is an instant win.

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes

Lagomorphic posted:

Whelp 10 games in a row vs Simic Ramp. Standard sure looks good now that Golos is gone.

it's not banned until tomorrow's update

Lagomorphic
Apr 21, 2008

AKA: Orthonormal
I know but people seem to have moved on already (to simic). It was frustrating as poo poo to get to 4 wins tonight. Could just be a bad streak but I'm taking it as an ill omen.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
Don't put things you can't cast without Fires in your main deck. If you want to do that then run Fae of Wishes and put it in the sb.

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

Zero VGS posted:

I played against someone yesterday who was using the Reef elemental with Spark Double. They had half their deck on the board around turn 6. Then they passed to me and my Midnight Reaper / 0 CMC creature combo went off and I dealt them 20 damage in one turn.

Deck works surprisingly well for being only half built. Turns out Stonecoil Serpents are really strong when you cast them for more than 0 mana as well! Reach plus protection from multicolored makes it very nasty for both blocking and attacking.

I'm trying to figure out how this one works as well.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy

Tibalt posted:

How do you deal them the damage? Judith triggers?

Cruel Celebrant or Corpse Knight for damage, Midnight Reaper and Beast Whisperer for card draw. You can stack the dozen 0 cost artifact creatures with Forever Young. There's a deck posted many pages back and a vid on youtube but my decklist is still a mess.

axeil
Feb 14, 2006
I'm 10-5 with Mono-Red Cavalcade. Recommend.

18 Mountain (XLN) 273
4 Runaway Steam-Kin (GRN) 115
4 Cavalcade of Calamity (RNA) 95
4 Light Up the Stage (RNA) 107
4 Tin Street Dodger (RNA) 120
3 Tibalt, Rakish Instigator (WAR) 146
4 Scorch Spitter (M20) 159
4 Bonecrusher Giant (ELD) 115
4 Fervent Champion (ELD) 124
4 Rimrock Knight (ELD) 137
4 Torbran, Thane of Red Fell (ELD) 147
3 Castle Embereth (ELD) 239

4 Shock (M19) 156
3 Experimental Frenzy (GRN) 99
4 Lava Coil (GRN) 108
4 Legion Warboss (GRN) 109

Kin33
Jul 3, 2007

Where is your god now?

Zero VGS posted:

Cruel Celebrant or Corpse Knight for damage, Midnight Reaper and Beast Whisperer for card draw. You can stack the dozen 0 cost artifact creatures with Forever Young. There's a deck posted many pages back and a vid on youtube but my decklist is still a mess.

https://aetherhub.com/Deck/Public/172092

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6w3MBp9VnGI

Not sure if hes the original creator of the deck or not but this is where I first saw it.

ex post facho
Oct 25, 2007
currently roping every single action against a golos field player, who has the misfortune of spamming fields against me when i thiught it was banned from standard already

you want this win with that bullshit its gonna cost you 20 loving minutes while i watch netflix motherfucker

sephiRoth IRA
Jun 13, 2007

"Science is not only compatible with spirituality; it is a profound source of spirituality."

-Carl Sagan

Eej posted:

Don't put things you can't cast without Fires in your main deck. If you want to do that then run Fae of Wishes and put it in the sb.

I think that was my problem. My brain went “holy poo poo I can cast EVERYTHING “ and then I lost to aggro and put in wrath effects and it worked a bunch of games in a row. Then it didn’t and I bitched about it. Fae wishing is a good idea.

Kin33
Jul 3, 2007

Where is your god now?

ex post facho posted:

currently roping every single action against a golos field player, who has the misfortune of spamming fields against me when i thiught it was banned from standard already

you want this win with that bullshit its gonna cost you 20 loving minutes while i watch netflix motherfucker

I don't mind slow players or roping when I play cause I can just multitask but this is toxic as gently caress and you deserve to be banned. Its not their fault you didn't know it wasn't banned. They can play whatever they want, you are just a sore loser.

This is coming from someone who hasn't touched golos or fotd since war of the spark.

Funkdreamer
Jul 15, 2005

It'll be a blast
I've been playing Jeskai Fires and it's reasonably okay against Oko. Those Simic/Bant decks aren't too fast and Casualties of War is a great backbreaker against midrange. I have two in my wishboard.

ex post facho
Oct 25, 2007
jokes on them because they just time out conceded so i musta caught them needing to poop :smug:

Ate My Balls Redux
Aug 2, 2018

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

ex post facho posted:

jokes on them because they just time out conceded so i musta have caught them needing to poop :smug:

Wow, cool :rolleyes:

ex post facho
Oct 25, 2007
it was pretty cathartic, actually

Kin33
Jul 3, 2007

Where is your god now?

ex post facho posted:

it was pretty cathartic, actually

You should release a list of "approved" decks so your opponents know what decks they are allowed to play against you.

ex post facho
Oct 25, 2007
i actually really enjoy every other matchup in the format. fields is a war crime and so justice must be meted out upon anyone still using it

Funkdreamer
Jul 15, 2005

It'll be a blast

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S5Ozs9tyaoU

Christ, someone mashed together the oven-cat package, the Oko package, and a bunch of flash creatures/counterspells.

Time
Aug 1, 2011

It Was All A Dream

ex post facho posted:

That’s really dumb of you

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
you must really love playing against golos if you want to do it for 20 minutes instead of moving on to a different matchup

ex post facho
Oct 25, 2007
we all deserve the right to be irrationally dumb sometimes, dont we

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
we certainly have the right to poo poo on you when you post about it

Time
Aug 1, 2011

It Was All A Dream

ex post facho posted:

we all deserve the right to be irrationally dumb sometimes, dont we

you should absolutely be banned but it won’t happen because reporting hasn’t been made easy

ex post facho
Oct 25, 2007
and it won't be a problem in a day! i have a janky garruk deck i've been looking to try and push through gold with so here's to a very different meta tomorrow.

E: just got wrecked by a u/g deck running mass manipulation, gadwick, and tamiyo + mystic sanctuary to recurse it. that felt mean

ex post facho fucked around with this message at 03:47 on Oct 24, 2019

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
Nah, we all know you'll find a different deck to be a whiny pissbaby about once the new meta takes shape.

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

I think you'll find the thread is due for seven days of whiny pissbaby about Oko in brawl

Apparently, anyway

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER
Was Field of the Dead not banned in Arena, or just not yet?

ex post facho
Oct 25, 2007
/\ just not yet, i thought it was Monday and its actually tomorrow lol

T2 oko is brutal if you get a goose in your opening hand. Lots of scoops on oko + goose + qb on T3. I am a little surprised they didnt errata him somehow or restrict, but also feel like there's probably enough planeswalker hate (and now aggro, i assume) floating around to keep u/g bant food from getting too gross.

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes

Justin_Brett posted:

Was Field of the Dead not banned in Arena, or just not yet?

the patch is happening within the next 24 hours with all the other stuff

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

I really hope they finally fix the stupid hand flickering strobe bullshit. That is just the stupidest bug.

ex post facho posted:

I am a little surprised they didnt errata him somehow or restrict
They do neither of those things, so why are you surprised?

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
I’ve experienced a lot of histrionics in my time as a Magic player but this whole “We’ve had Oko for about 18 days and determined that it’s simply the best card ever printed and demands a ban” is honestly one of the funniest.

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

Oko can't hang with the shifting ceratops.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

What happens if a Deputy of Detention gets Elk'ed? Do the cards under him get thrown back onto the battlefield? I've never been brave enough to try it.

I also get a weird sense of pleasure when people forget that the goose can lay an egg for the wolf to eat at instant speed. It's like playing with combat tricks again outside of limited.

Dracula Factory
Sep 7, 2007

I know everyone hates Oko but I hope simic food stays good because usually the tier 1 decks aren't this much fun to play.

Ate My Balls Redux
Aug 2, 2018

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

GrandpaPants posted:

What happens if a Deputy of Detention gets Elk'ed? Do the cards under him get thrown back onto the battlefield? I've never been brave enough to try it.

Did the Deputy leave the battlefield?

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Yesssss! I made it to Gold with the base Azure Skies deck + 2 Planeswalkers.

DaveWoo
Aug 14, 2004

Fun Shoe

Funkdreamer posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S5Ozs9tyaoU

Christ, someone mashed together the oven-cat package, the Oko package, and a bunch of flash creatures/counterspells.

Yeah, I've tried out a oven-cat/Oko mashup deck before - for some reason, I never drew the cat/oven combo, and usually just ended up beating down the opponent with Oko and the Green cards instead.

I am surprised that Savvy Hunter wasn't included in that deck - that card combos extremely well with Trail of Crumbs.

an cow
Mar 18, 2002

This post may lower your reputation

DaveWoo posted:

Yeah, I've tried out a oven-cat/Oko mashup deck before - for some reason, I never drew the cat/oven combo, and usually just ended up beating down the opponent with Oko and the Green cards instead.

I am surprised that Savvy Hunter wasn't included in that deck - that card combos extremely well with Trail of Crumbs.

I did just this with "Yarok's Kitty Korner"

3 Yarok, the Desecrated (M20) 220
2 Island (ANA) 62
5 Swamp (ANA) 63
3 Forest (ANA) 65
4 Cauldron Familiar (ELD) 81
3 Witch's Oven (ELD) 237
4 Overgrown Tomb (GRN) 253
2 Ayara, First of Locthwain (ELD) 75
4 Watery Grave (GRN) 259
2 Assassin's Trophy (GRN) 152
4 Gilded Goose (ELD) 160
3 Wicked Wolf (ELD) 181
2 Feasting Troll King (ELD) 152
4 Breeding Pool (RNA) 246
2 Trail of Crumbs (ELD) 179
3 Oko, Thief of Crowns (ELD) 197
3 Savvy Hunter (ELD) 200
2 Midnight Reaper (GRN) 77
1 Castle Locthwain (ELD) 241
1 Vraska, Golgari Queen (GRN) 213
1 Syr Konrad, the Grim (ELD) 107
2 Murderous Rider (ELD) 97

Wicked Wolf and Yarok is actually a brutal drop since it means it can fight something for 8 or clear 2 things at toughness 4 in one go.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

house of the dad
Jul 4, 2005

gently caress Oko.