Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Happyimp
Sep 26, 2007

I exist I guess.
For the index, Borderlands looks like a horrible 360 video. It isn't 3d, and you feel like you are flying over huge controllers. Heard you had to use revive, but I have not tried it yet. Also, when you press forward to walk, you jump as well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Less Fat Luke
May 23, 2003

Exciting Lemon
Weird I would think nobody would test on the Vive Pro and that it'd have similar problems, guess I lucked out.

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

Happyimp posted:

For the index, Borderlands looks like a horrible 360 video. It isn't 3d, and you feel like you are flying over huge controllers. Heard you had to use revive, but I have not tried it yet. Also, when you press forward to walk, you jump as well.

Basically that seems to be the deal. OpenVR is hosed, Oculus works ok for some reason, use revive on anything but a rift/rift s

IDK. They aint getting AAA money from me for it. No MP is a no sale.

porksmash
Sep 30, 2008

Happyimp posted:

Also, when you press forward to walk, you jump as well.

This is due to the workaround Valve added for the thumbstick clicking debacle. When you press the joystick to any edge, it also performs the click action. It can be disabled somewhere in the controller settings.

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

NEVER FUCKING TAKE A NIGHT OFF CLAN WARS.

spacetoaster posted:

That battery though....sheesh. 2 hours.

Chin Strap posted:

Get this https://smile.amazon.com/Anker-PowerCore-Ultra-Small-10000mAh-Portable/dp/B07DDF8CNK?sa-no-redirect=1

Strap it to the back headband with some velcro. Get extra life and a counterweight to make it more comfortable.

Yeah this. I use a phone belt-holster and a different manufacturer, but with a 10000 mAh power brick I will run out of energy long before the Quest does.

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

Hi thread! I just got an Index as a present to myself and this thing is loving incredible. There’s a visible black line that I’m assuming is a dead pixel column in one eye though which is kind of a bummer, so I’m going to have to look into how to do a warranty swap on the headset.

Is there a particular technique for getting the most comfortable headset positioning with glasses, or has anybody shelled out for the prescription VR lenses? I don’t think my eyesight is bad enough to make that worthwhile but I’m curious about other people’s experiences.

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Jumpjet, melta, jumpjet. Repeat for ten minutes or until victory is assured.
Thrill of the Fight is out on Quest today, here's some gameplay: https://youtu.be/p0MuU-ZJNa4

Haven't played it myself yet, but I've heard good things and will probably pick it up.

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

Cicero posted:

Thrill of the Fight is out on Quest today, here's some gameplay: https://youtu.be/p0MuU-ZJNa4

Haven't played it myself yet, but I've heard good things and will probably pick it up.

If its even close to the PC version, Its a great game. Be ready to be worn the gently caress out though.

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

NEVER FUCKING TAKE A NIGHT OFF CLAN WARS.

Cicero posted:

Excellent, it's gonna be a high of 70 °F tomorrow and I've been meaning to screw around with the Quest outside. This'll do.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Looks like TotF didn't ship with multiplayer in the steam version, does the Quest version have multiplayer?

Been waiting for this to come out for a couple months, definitely gonna check this out this weekend

I got King Spray, the graffiti simulator, it's great, it's sort of like tiltbrushz but feels better to me, probably because I'm drawing on a 2D surface

Blade Runner
Aug 14, 2015

TACD posted:

Hi thread! I just got an Index as a present to myself and this thing is loving incredible. There’s a visible black line that I’m assuming is a dead pixel column in one eye though which is kind of a bummer, so I’m going to have to look into how to do a warranty swap on the headset.

Is there a particular technique for getting the most comfortable headset positioning with glasses, or has anybody shelled out for the prescription VR lenses? I don’t think my eyesight is bad enough to make that worthwhile but I’m curious about other people’s experiences.

I shelled out for prescription VR lenses, but I honestly don't recommend them. Both the VRoptician and Widmo ones kinda dig into my forehead because the canted lenses make positioning awkward. Use contacts if you can, they're much better.

Stick100
Mar 18, 2003

Hellsau posted:

Excellent, it's gonna be a high of 70 °F tomorrow and I've been meaning to screw around with the Quest outside. This'll do.

I've had good luck if you either have full shade (partial shade through a tree doesn't work), is at dusk/twilight such that you have sunlight but no direct source of light to the controllers, or use strong light/ir lights at night, or it is extremely overcast. The HMD itself seems to work well in pretty much all conditions except extremely dark. If there is enough light to read a book without strain (and without night vision kicking in) throughout the whole play space the HMD will probably work. Light from work-lights are sufficient, light from low powered flashlights is not. The controllers however are easily overwhelmed by the IR from the sun. You can tell if you try to move the controllers left and right and they get stuck in place.

Enjoy, it's really nice to feel a great breeze while you're playing outside and now that summer is over I'll probably be doing it more often.

Chin Strap
Nov 24, 2002

I failed my TFLC Toxx, but I no longer need a double chin strap :buddy:
Pillbug
Looking into my options for when Quest Link comes out. The 5m cable they are discussing is going to be too short for me. My best VR space is more like 30 feet away from my PC and I don't want to move my PC.

I'm looking at an active extension like this: https://smile.amazon.com/WEme-Exten...ps%2C150&sr=8-5

Is it likely to add much latency or is most of the latency still going to be on the encode decode side?

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Cicero posted:

Looks pretty good. I found myself enjoying the boxing in LA Noire VR more than I expected, although I was bummed because the PSVR has a boxing mode and PC doesn't get it, you just get a few rare fights as you play the story.

So maybe I should get this...

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost
Played a bunch of Vive last night and I was seeing the screen door pattern for a couple hours after waking up this morning o_o

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

Mozi posted:

Played a bunch of Vive last night and I was seeing the screen door pattern for a couple hours after waking up this morning o_o

Are you sure you're awake?

Are you sure you even went to bed?

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy
Just got done with my super-secret Oculus User Research home appointment and got a $150 Visa card for my efforts.

Actually there were no NDAs or any paperwork at all, so...

They came to test the drawing of Guardian Boundaries using a beta of the new hand-tracking system (as opposed to Touch controllers). My notes:

1) They did all this with a Rift S wired up to a laptop (so they could toggle between different hand-tracking methods). The hand-tracking camera was a dual-camera thing attached to the front of the headset. It wasn't a leap motion, it just seemed like two wide-angle optical cameras; it didn't use the built-in Rift S cameras. I've never used a Rift S before. I noticed how "off" the IPD is for someone with 58 IPD like myself. Glad I went with a Quest. I actually had to take a break 10 minutes in because the natural lag in guardian passthrough camera view was making me queasy. Obviously I don't spend much time there. I forgot how obnoxious stepping over a cable and untwisting it was!

2) The hand-tracking latency was about exactly the same as the pass-through cameras themselves have. In other words, if you go into guardian and move your hand around on camera, there's some lag. Even when I'm in Oculus Home the cursor seems to have that much delay to move the cursor around with hand-tracking. I wouldn't read in to this since it was separate camera hardware and not the Rift S built-in cameras doing it, but still I'd think when the Quest gets hand support it'll have a passthrough-mode worth of lag. Should be fine for casual stuff.

3) This is of course not necessarily representative of the final product, but I was having trouble drawing boundaries accurately/quickly due to some issues. First was the recognition had a very difficult time picking up on my "pinch" unless I tilt my hand upward a bit each time (you make a thumb-and-index OK-sign style pinch to select things or draw the boundary). It was maybe 25% accurate. They said this was entirely due to the prototype hardware/software. I'll give them the benefit of the doubt on that, since when I had an engine-rendered outline of my hand it was tracking my fingers near perfectly. So it was more that the gesture-recognition was screwy as opposed to the actual finger-tracking. The other problem is that if I move my head (as opposed to rotating in place) when either stepping forward or back, or just leaning, my cursor would glide in the opposite direction of my lean, as some form of compensation. It was over-correcting way too much so I would try to keep my head stationary like I was balancing something on it, if I wanted to draw accurate lines. I detailed this for them so they could hopefully address it before launch.

4) I drew boundaries for maybe a half-hour total, as they flipped through various tracking methods, not telling me the differences. At the end they walked me through each one last time and explained the technical differences to get my opinion, I'll omit those details so as not to compromise future studies. All-in-all I told them there's no way I would ever use hand-tracking to draw guardian boundaries when the Touch controllers are laser-accurate and included with every headset. Even if they fine-tune the hand-tracking to be extremely accurate, I don't think it will ever be as intuitive as "point controller, pull trigger". Even the least savvy person, like someone who has never played a game before, kids or elderly, would have a better first time experience doing Guardian with a Touch controller than with hand tracking. I advised that they probably shouldn't prompt people to use hand-tracking by default. Maybe as a fallback option if the headset sees no controllers powered on.

5) They asked me for a lot of background detail about my Quest and how I bought it, so I made sure to explain that it was actually my second Quest that I got within a holiday return window to see how the Oculus Link and to a much lesser extent Hand-Tracking both turn out. I also explained that I returned my original Quest because I was very apprehensive about the way they has Virtual Desktop streaming pulled from the official store, and how the Version 9 Developer Mode Nastygram made me feel regarding the giving and takingeth away of features. 3 of the 4 people were Oculus employees so hopefully that gets passed along.

Overall a pretty nice experience, and cool having a van of nerds roll up to me house with prototypes. I'll be sure to sign up for the next one if I see it again.

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost

ItBreathes posted:

Are you sure you're awake?

Are you sure you even went to bed?

No, that's ridiculous... oh crap, my hands are running out of battery.

Nektu
Jul 4, 2007

FUKKEN FUUUUUUCK
Cybernetic Crumb

TACD posted:

Did you find the button for regulating the distance between the lenses and your face? The Index seemed very tight on my glasses before I figured that out.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Zero VGS posted:

I also explained that I returned my original Quest because I was very apprehensive about the way they has Virtual Desktop streaming pulled from the official store, and how the Version 9 Developer Mode Nastygram made me feel regarding the giving and takingeth away of features. 3 of the 4 people were Oculus employees so hopefully that gets passed along.

The ratio doesn't matter when the guy at the top actually making the decisions is now someone from Facebook.

That beta testing's still pretty cool to do though. Just out of curiosity, were the cameras just over the regular Rift S ones, or did they stick them up top to replicate the Quest's quartet of sensors?

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

I'm wondering why there isn't a point-to-point option to draw a boundary, SteamVR has it but even then it's an "advanced mode".

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
Lipstick Apathy

Neddy Seagoon posted:

That beta testing's still pretty cool to do though. Just out of curiosity, were the cameras just over the regular Rift S ones, or did they stick them up top to replicate the Quest's quartet of sensors?

They stuck them straight in the middle of the front, with a very low-profile mount so that they didn't show up in the view of the 5 built-in cameras. They were two cameras that seemed like they were between 180-210 degree view, they were spaced about an inch and a half apart and stuck out an inch.

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

Does anyone have a recommendation for the Quest face pad?

I can already tell we're going to need to replace it at some point. Also, it's just not very comfortable.

And are there any RPG games in the works like MOSS? My daughter, and I, have been playing it and the way it plays is wonderful. I'd love to do a game like neverwinter nights like this.

Chin Strap
Nov 24, 2002

I failed my TFLC Toxx, but I no longer need a double chin strap :buddy:
Pillbug
My VR Cover replacement was a definite upgrade and well worth it.

https://vrcover.com/product/oculus-quest-foam-and-interface-basic-set/

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

SCheeseman posted:

I'm wondering why there isn't a point-to-point option to draw a boundary, SteamVR has it but even then it's an "advanced mode".

Seriously would be nice. Crooked af lines drive me nuts and I was always using Guardian editor to fix that poo poo on PC before I ended up just full timing OpenVR and using chaperone

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
Lipstick Apathy

spacetoaster posted:

Does anyone have a recommendation for the Quest face pad?

I can already tell we're going to need to replace it at some point. Also, it's just not very comfortable.

Someone else in thread some pages back said they regretted a VR cover, because while the Quest face pad doesn't have much give, it prevents the headset from sliding around on your face and losing focus. Maybe a counterweight solves for some or most of that?

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

No Muscles For The Majority

Hadlock posted:

Looks like TotF didn't ship with multiplayer in the steam version, does the Quest version have multiplayer?

Been waiting for this to come out for a couple months, definitely gonna check this out this weekend

TotF does not and will not have multiplayer. It's a single dev's first game, and multiplayer was outside his scope. He's trying to get a properly funded sequel going, so maybe that could have multiplayer.

That said, buy it. It can legit be your new cardio. It's by far the most physically intense VR game I've played (way more so than BoxVR or Beat Saber), and playing it without wires is drat near tempting enough for me to get a Quest just for it.

If your conditioning is spotty, then you'll really need to pace yourself to avoid gassing out and flopping into a chair. If/once you are in good shape, then you can do custom fights to reduce time between rounds, add more rounds, and/or make rounds longer.

IRL boxing skills transfer well to TotF, so if you don't box, then watch and copy some basic boxing YouTube videos on footwork, head movement, etc. and you'll actually get better at the game. I don't think I could ox for poo poo IRL, but mimicking real boxers as best I can helped my defense in TotF considerably.

El Grillo
Jan 3, 2008
Fun Shoe

spacetoaster posted:

And are there any RPG games in the works like MOSS? My daughter, and I, have been playing it and the way it plays is wonderful. I'd love to do a game like neverwinter nights like this.
NWN would be amazing. Well the multiplayer persistent world servers especially. I would love to be able to play DnD like that in VR, with a DM able to spawn things and use all of the awesome tools they had in the NWN DM client.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
Lipstick Apathy

Shine posted:

TotF does not and will not have multiplayer. It's a single dev's first game, and multiplayer was outside his scope.

Would VR boxing even work in multiplayer? Seems like one of those things where people would prioritize all speed and no muscle so it's like a wiimote waggle turbo slapfight, and a real opponent would not telegraph as much. I guess if you used a collision system like Blade and Sorcery to give feedback on blocking then maybe it could be decent.

El Grillo posted:

NWN would be amazing. Well the multiplayer persistent world servers especially. I would love to be able to play DnD like that in VR, with a DM able to spawn things and use all of the awesome tools they had in the NWN DM client.

There is very little for games in VR with persistent multiplayer worlds. The "Orbus Reborn" game seems to take after Everquest and Final Fantasy 11, but reviews say it is pretty janky especially with gesture-based attacks/casting.

edit: Here's reviews... jeez I can't believe one guy has 400 hours of in-game time: https://store.steampowered.com/app/746930/OrbusVR_Reborn/

Zero VGS fucked around with this message at 21:01 on Oct 24, 2019

BMan
Oct 31, 2015

KNIIIIIIFE
EEEEEYYYYE
ATTAAAACK

Zero VGS posted:

Would VR boxing even work in multiplayer?

Creed apparently has it, but I've never played

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

No Muscles For The Majority
I think VR boxing multiplayer would suck for the reasons mentioned.

All I've heard about Creed multiplayer is people putting their controllers on selfie sticks to fake having super long arms.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
Lipstick Apathy

BMan posted:

Creed apparently has it, but I've never played

lol I found a video and it's as slappy as I imagined (starts around 12mins):

The internet toughguy youtube comments are equally priceless.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SYIYxGtorxo&t=729s

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

I wonder why they didn't put the battery for the Quest on the back of the headstrap by default, giving it better balance and removing a ton of weight from the front. That way you could of had swappable batteries and poo poo right out of the box.

TIP
Mar 21, 2006

Your move, creep.

Zero VGS posted:

Would VR boxing even work in multiplayer? Seems like one of those things where people would prioritize all speed and no muscle so it's like a wiimote waggle turbo slapfight, and a real opponent would not telegraph as much. I guess if you used a collision system like Blade and Sorcery to give feedback on blocking then maybe it could be decent.

If it worked like the single player, waggle would do no good. You really need to throw your punches properly, with a good speed, and you need to hit their weak spots very precisely (position and angle are important).

They would need to rethink the system that allows you to scale your punching power. It makes sense in single player, but in multi they'd really need to figure out a different way to handle that. It could be interesting if they let you choose between matches at "natural strength", where no multiplier is applied and the better puncher has an advantage, and "matched strength", where based on your fight histories the game tries to make it as even of a match as possible.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
Lipstick Apathy

sigher posted:

I wonder why they didn't put the battery for the Quest on the back of the headstrap by default, giving it better balance and removing a ton of weight from the front. That way you could of had swappable batteries and poo poo right out of the box.

I literally told the research team at my house that today. They took a picture of my DAS plus Powerbank mod and I had them write down "move battery cells to rear strap overmolding". It'll probably fall on deaf ears but hey I tried.

You could definitely mod it yourself if you're brave enough though. Open up the Quest, (teardown: https://medium.com/badvr/oculus-quest-headset-disassembly-2f404b004a3c ) then remove the battery and run two wires out and along the strap to the back, then velcro a couple 18650 spring holders to the back in parallel and you got a ghetto solution: https://www.ebay.com/itm/232003409215

Nalin posted:

Plus you are forced to have a Tumblr nose. I will never forgive it for that.

I want to ask what that is but I'm afraid I'll be cancelled.

Zero VGS fucked around with this message at 21:32 on Oct 24, 2019

Nalin
Sep 29, 2007

Hair Elf

Zero VGS posted:

There is very little for games in VR with persistent multiplayer worlds. The "Orbus Reborn" game seems to take after Everquest and Final Fantasy 11, but reviews say it is pretty janky especially with gesture-based attacks/casting.

The other one that I know of is A Township Tale.
https://townshiptale.com/

You have to sign up via their Discord. I know a bunch of people who say it is currently one of the better RPGs, but it isn't really a typical MMO-style game like Orbus.

Plus you are forced to have a Tumblr nose. I will never forgive it for that.

Nalin
Sep 29, 2007

Hair Elf

Zero VGS posted:

I literally told the research team at my house that today. They took a picture of my DAS plus Powerbank mod and I had them write down "move battery cells to rear strap overmolding". It'll probably fall on deaf ears but hey I tried.

I hope you told them that having a fixed IPD and having lovely audio on the Rift S made it a worthless device and that they should be ashamed of themselves that they even bothered to sell it.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
Lipstick Apathy

Nalin posted:

I hope you told them that having a fixed IPD and having lovely audio on the Rift S made it a worthless device and that they should be ashamed of themselves that they even bothered to sell it.

I told them how I'd never been in a Rift S before, and I forced a break because the IPD was making me nauseous, then took the time to educate them about my 58 IPD, my boyfriend's 74 IPD, and I took one of my ginger pills in front of them. I think they got the picture.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Zero VGS posted:

You could definitely mod it yourself if you're brave enough though. Open up the Quest, (teardown: https://medium.com/badvr/oculus-quest-headset-disassembly-2f404b004a3c ) then remove the battery and run two wires out and along the strap to the back, then velcro a couple 18650 spring holders to the back in parallel and you got a ghetto solution: https://www.ebay.com/itm/232003409215

Hopefully they think it through, because then you could have a more balanced headset and larger, swappable batteries. I don't see any downsides to this.