Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

The new Conan O'Brien Needs A Friend episode with Letterman that came out last night is real good too!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

Conan looks so handsome with that hair

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
He looked great with the beard too tbh. No clue why he cut it.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Does Fallon always go out on Sundays now? Feels weird to see a commercial for it tonight. Presume it’s due to people watching football and staying tuned in?

pwn
May 27, 2004

This Christmas get "Shoes"

:pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn:

EL BROMANCE posted:

Does Fallon always go out on Sundays now? Feels weird to see a commercial for it tonight. Presume it’s due to people watching football and staying tuned in?

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Yeah, desperate is the right word.

InfiniteZero
Sep 11, 2004

PINK GUITAR FIRE ROBOT

College Slice
Fallon was a casualty of the 2016 election and likely won't recover. He tussled his way to the downfall of his late-night career and should have known that a guy like Colbert was ready to take over. I really have no sympathy for him but I am sad for The Roots who were the innocent bystanders of Fallon's moronic brand.

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

you need a mainstream late nighter so the funny people can do weirdo funny things in comparison. im just surprised it ended up being kimmel.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZHOiKV1pIu4

It's exactly what you think it is. And yes, this is the least necessary spoiler tag of all time, but I guess I just feel like pretending it might not happen is part of the charm.

Sir Lemming fucked around with this message at 23:23 on Oct 23, 2019

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Why does it make me laugh every loving time, even though I know it's coming?

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Am I a... bad person?
AM I??

Fun Shoe

LividLiquid posted:

Why does it make me laugh every loving time, even though I know it's coming?

Because comedy gold.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

I didn't know about this, and just read up on it, laughing my rear end off. 15 goddamned years! :eyepop:

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

I like that since Ant Man, they alter the clip itself to actually include a reference to the thing he's plugging.

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Am I a... bad person?
AM I??

Fun Shoe

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

I didn't know about this, and just read up on it, laughing my rear end off. 15 goddamned years! :eyepop:

I saw the clip routine for the first time many years ago, and I wasn't expecting it. Right up until Mac pops up at the end of the clip, I seriously thought it was a part of the movie, and I was waiting for Rudd's character to pop into frame, maybe to explain who the kid was and why he was tragically sent flying off a cliff. When that composite shot alien poped up, though, I realized something was wrong, and when it cut back to Conan and Rudd, clearly there was something going on. But, this was well before Conan started acknowledging the gag on camera, so I was laughing but seriously confused. When they said they'd do the real clip, I knew it was some prank, because it was the same clip. For a long time, I didn't even know what movie it was from.

jojoinnit
Dec 13, 2010

Strength and speed, that's why you're a special agent.
I've watched Conan on and off for about half my life now and I'd also never come across that prank. Was it something he did more heavily at one point than another? I think I generally didn't used to watch the guest interviews as a kid so that explains a lot of it. Basically I'd watch Conan on his Late Nite show as a teenager when I couldn't sleep, then in uni I saw the entire run of his Tonight Shoe and I've seen a fair amount of the TBS Conan but mostly through clips online since my parents never had cable and I only had it for a couple years as an adult.

I thought the joke was that it was a movie Rudd was in as a kid (especially with the reference to him not aging much).

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

Conan visited Kojima Productions and wound up being a character in Death Stranding.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KlMpN26ts7s

https://twitter.com/HIDEO_KOJIMA_EN/status/1187290189544050688

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

jojoinnit posted:

I've watched Conan on and off for about half my life now and I'd also never come across that prank. Was it something he did more heavily at one point than another? I think I generally didn't used to watch the guest interviews as a kid so that explains a lot of it. Basically I'd watch Conan on his Late Nite show as a teenager when I couldn't sleep, then in uni I saw the entire run of his Tonight Shoe and I've seen a fair amount of the TBS Conan but mostly through clips online since my parents never had cable and I only had it for a couple years as an adult.

I thought the joke was that it was a movie Rudd was in as a kid (especially with the reference to him not aging much).

Someone made a comp but it’s now 5 years out of date so it’s missing some.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6bNzAgJMYVE

Another YT clip indicates it started in 2004.

Anyone who hasn’t seen the movie, it’s something else. The MST3K version on Netflix for it is great, and definitely worth a watch.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

Stare-Out posted:

Conan visited Kojima Productions and wound up being a character in Death Stranding.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KlMpN26ts7s

https://twitter.com/HIDEO_KOJIMA_EN/status/1187290189544050688

Conan and Mikkelsen colab when

Fenris13
Jun 6, 2003

jojoinnit posted:

The clip is of Rudd, he is the one who brings it to the show every time he is on. It is not Conan who had the clip played, but Rudd.

jojoinnit
Dec 13, 2010

Strength and speed, that's why you're a special agent.

Fenris13 posted:

The clip is of Rudd, he is the one who brings it to the show every time he is on. It is not Conan who had the clip played, but Rudd.

Gotcha but are you saying Rudd was in Mac and Me? Or is that not the movie?

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

jojoinnit posted:

Whoosh

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

jojoinnit posted:

Paul Rudd was not in Mac and Me.

The clip of Mac and Me is only played when Paul Rudd is a guest on Conan. It is a prank Rudd plays on Conan, and has been for the last 15 years.

Nanigans
Aug 31, 2005

~Waku Waku~
Conan seems to get a lot of the people who are already on the TV show to do his podcast. I'd like an episode with Rudd.

Also, the podcast is 1000x better than the TV show at this point and I wish each episode were twice as long, and while I think Conan wouldn't mind, I guess it's hard to get a guest to commit to a three hour conversation.

All three episodes this season have been excellent.

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

Nanigans posted:

Conan seems to get a lot of the people who are already on the TV show to do his podcast. I'd like an episode with Rudd.

Also, the podcast is 1000x better than the TV show at this point and I wish each episode were twice as long, and while I think Conan wouldn't mind, I guess it's hard to get a guest to commit to a three hour conversation.

i got my mother into podcasts a couple months ago and she loved all of them, except Andy Richter's.

She loves him normally, but her review was "All they talked about was poo poo!"

Nanigans
Aug 31, 2005

~Waku Waku~

Nostalgia4Butts posted:

i got my mother into podcasts a couple months ago and she loved all of them, except Andy Richter's.

She loves him normally, but her review was "All they talked about was poo poo!"

"Yes. So what? :colbert:"

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

Nanigans posted:

"Yes. So what? :colbert:"

thats basically what i said but you can't please everyone

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

eddie murphy has become a pretty boring late night guest

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

Yayo just ain't what it used to be

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

Nanigans posted:

They're short by choice, Conan doesn't want to record or release podcasts with that long a run time - he's guested on other podcasts that ran long, didn't enjoy the experience as a guest and thought the end product was probably self-indulgent, basically.

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

they're basically extensions of the long form interviews he did online after TBS.

he's good with the format and can keep it flowing well to hit that hour mark and make it a full experience while not feeling rushed at all

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

They're short by choice, Conan doesn't want to record or release podcasts with that long a run time - he's guested on other podcasts that ran long, didn't enjoy the experience as a guest and thought the end product was probably self-indulgent, basically.

That's valid, but most of the conversations he's actually had so far just feel like they got cut off in the middle and could have gone for another hour easy.

And, like, he did six episodes of just talking to Dana Carvey.

Nanigans
Aug 31, 2005

~Waku Waku~

Megazver posted:

That's valid, but most of the conversations he's actually had so far just feel like they got cut off in the middle and could have gone for another hour easy.

And, like, he did six episodes of just talking to Dana Carvey.

Exactly.

I see the appeal of a shorter interview for the guests, and better to leave the listeners wanting more, but as a listener...I want more. David Letterman recently for example had some great stories and exchanges but it felt like a lot of the run time was Conan stroking Letterman's ego and vice versa and both of them denying the compliments. Once they got into real anecdotes and stories, it was great, but over too quickly.

Felt the same about Tina Fey. The whole bit about her husband was great.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
Don't look at me, I'm not saying it's better the way it is, I'm just repeating his own rationale for why he doesn't want to do longer episodes. I buy it more than I buy his excuses for why his show's only half an hour.

The relatively brief run time on the podcasts makes the ads stand out even more, they seem like they've dialed them back a little but there were way too many of them for a while.

Nanigans
Aug 31, 2005

~Waku Waku~
I don't remember any ads in any of the season 2 episodes so far.

Is it a temporary thing?

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!

Nanigans posted:

I don't remember any ads in any of the season 2 episodes so far.

Is it a temporary thing?

There have definitely been some. They just aren't as annoying as they used to be. They've given up on that "Conan pays for his beach house" bit. No more ironic apologizing for the ads, just funny ad reads, which are actually quite entertaining on their own.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
Yeah, I think they add and remove ads depending on how old the episode is when you listen to it.

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

Old episodes definitely get newer ads put into them but I've also had instances where episodes do the ad-break thing and then just jump right back without playing any ads.

Nanigans
Aug 31, 2005

~Waku Waku~

Stare-Out posted:

Old episodes definitely get newer ads put into them but I've also had instances where episodes do the ad-break thing and then just jump right back without playing any ads.

Yeah, this is what I mean. I guess because I've been listening to the episodes new, before another new one comes out, I might be avoiding the ads.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
I actually didn't even realize podcasts could do that, but I guess it makes sense. I guess that's what it means to be part of Earwolf or Stitcher or Mouthstream or whatever, they handle the technical side of ad placement and reuploading and stuff?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

It's kind of a drag to listen to old episodes one by one and having to listen to the exact same recording of an ad read instead of a distinct read of the same ad. I mean, they're funny the first time around but after that, not so much. Kinda like how I don't mind listening to Bill Burr do ad reads for long-defunct companies from 5 years ago because he makes the reads fun to listen to.