Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Old Swerdlow
Jul 24, 2008
MCU movies are bad. I don’t understand the controversy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Old Swerdlow posted:

MCU movies are bad. I don’t understand the controversy.

It feels a bit hyperbolic to say they are despicable or that they aren't even cinema though.

Mr.Radar
Nov 5, 2005

You guys aren't going to believe this, but that guy is our games teacher.
Hey poparena, Mr. Enter is trying to steal your shtick :v::

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tOFb3ih6Pno

(TBH I'm curious to see how this goes.)

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

"According to Wikipedia" there is a black hole that emits zionist hawking radiation where my brain should have been

I really should just shut the fuck up and stop posting forever
College Slice
I buy games as they come on sale to try them out and study their mechanics, I have so little time that just to work on my own game design or 3D modelling projects I basically only play 2-3 games once a week (Paradox multiplayer, 5e D&D, and RLCraft for Minecraft, and I'm about to have a stroke from raging out over RLCraft). The rest of my spare time when eating or working is listening/watching let's plays and podcasts.

It isn't that I don't have fun, I find that I can't shake the sense of guilt that I am not accomplishing enough and the time spent playing is time I should be spending making a game.

Farm Frenzy
Jan 3, 2007

you can get the idea of the goose game from a 20 second clip or watch someone LP it over an hour but it doesnt compare to the joy of locking the gardener out of his garden yourself. the whole point of the game is that its purely fun to mess around with.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Jon Favreau came out and said Scorsese is allowed to dismiss Marvel movies. It's not like they're being willfully misrepresented by a vindictive man with an agenda, Scorsese just doesn't care about them, and that's fine. Marvel movies do character interplay really well, but they're not exactly great action or comedy films.

Still, it is fun seeing people squirm and contort themselves to yell at Scorsese for supposedly insulting the identity they've tied to the Marvel films.

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

I'm just trying to go through life without looking stupid.

It's not working out too well...

achillesforever6 posted:

Has there been any videos on the old men yelling at the clouds about the MCU lately with seemingly every new hollywood director havkng a take lately?

Videos, no (at least not to my knowledge). Articles and responses, yes.

Looking at Bogost's Twitter, I saw this.
https://twitter.com/ibogost/status/1187204809247612928

Disney chief Bob Iger unsurprisingly also came to the defense of superhero movies, with some expected results.

https://twitter.com/markberman/status/1187031096237744128
https://twitter.com/austin_walker/status/1187038979490754560

Max Wilco fucked around with this message at 14:09 on Oct 24, 2019

Farm Frenzy
Jan 3, 2007

Arcsquad12 posted:

Jon Favreau came out and said Scorsese is allowed to dismiss Marvel movies. It's not like they're being willfully misrepresented by a vindictive man with an agenda, Scorsese just doesn't care about them, and that's fine. Marvel movies do character interplay really well, but they're not exactly great action or comedy films.

Still, it is fun seeing people squirm and contort themselves to yell at Scorsese for supposedly insulting the identity they've tied to the Marvel films.

I've seen so many completely insane posts about it here for the last week or so. If you enjoyed the movies, why would you care that some old man says they aren't cinema??? does it really matter if they're cinema or not???

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
I genuinely believe literally any random person can probably run Disney better than Iger has, and you likely wouldn't even need to juice your profit numbers.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Farm Frenzy posted:

I've seen so many completely insane posts about it here for the last week or so. If you enjoyed the movies, why would you care that some old man says they aren't cinema??? does it really matter if they're cinema or not???

but doctor, consumption IS my identity!

Archer666
Dec 27, 2008
The Scorcese thing reminds me of people getting mad at Ebert for saying that video games aren't art. The same energy.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Does that Disney War book that Lindsay talks about sometimes say how Iger got the big chair? Was he a case of settling on the only person everybody hated the least?

SteelMentor
Oct 15, 2012

TOXIC

sexpig by night posted:

I genuinely believe literally any random person can probably run Disney better than Iger has, and you likely wouldn't even need to juice your profit numbers.

Iger seems to be taking after his mentor hard. We've had the initial boom like with Eisner, and it seems he's slowly sliding into his own dark age of creative bankruptcy and indiscriminate budget cuts.

Farm Frenzy
Jan 3, 2007

sexpig by night posted:

but doctor, consumption IS my identity!

i never thought all these funko fans self identify as 'cinema lovers' i guess

Kim Justice
Jan 29, 2007

Marty is a very relevant legend, one of the best to ever do it and certainly has a point of view that's intriguing. Much the same applies to Francis Ford Coppola although I'm not sure why no-one's countered his entry into the conversation (hah) with "you bloody made JACK you tit" yet, mind you. AND The Godfather Part III. AND you've sat on your arse in a vineyard for the past 20 years.

AND Apocalypse Now: Redux.

stillvisions
Oct 15, 2014

I really should have come up with something better before spending five bucks on this.

FoldableHuman posted:

Bogost actually wrote a really good book back in 2007 called Persuasive Games. He is legitimately not-awful at game's writing, but he has a particular taste for going out to the absolute extreme end of the weeds normally reserved for unbearably dry academic papers published in journals no one had heard of read by seven people total, except in Ian's case it gets published in The Atlantic.

It's a lot like runway fashion. Bogost is the dude making the four-foot-wide hat and the pants that look like a Christmas sweater worn on your legs with the intent that more pragmatic designers will take the broad form and turn it into actual consumer goods that humans would wear. There's just as good an argument about how useful that role is in academia as in fashion, but, you know, it's there.

Yeah, I feel like this is taking an extreme stance to maybe make some sort of point about it? If he's trying to make a point, however, it seems to be going over the heads over a lot of people, though he managed to get their attention. Given his past with cookie clicker I almost wondered if there was a satire here that missed the mark.

I had a friend who went on these extreme jaunts of "THIS IS WHAT A GAME SHOULD BE". At some point I distinctly remember him mashing the start button at a cutscene and almost literally yelling "LALALALA I SHOULDN'T HAVE TO BE TOLD THIS" while covering his eyes and ears because he was on the kick that a game should never have to tell you anything, ever, and if he couldn't instinctively understand what to do next and how, it was "bad design". He thankfully grew out of that one fast.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
This person is already a published author and he writes like this? Embarrassing. Not surprising that the Atlantic would pay for this garbage, alas.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Kim Justice posted:

Marty is a very relevant legend, one of the best to ever do it and certainly has a point of view that's intriguing. Much the same applies to Francis Ford Coppola although I'm not sure why no-one's countered his entry into the conversation (hah) with "you bloody made JACK you tit" yet, mind you. AND The Godfather Part III. AND you've sat on your arse in a vineyard for the past 20 years.

Oh, I've seen that. Godfather Part 3 especially, with jokes about what does he know when it comes to casting choices.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

Farm Frenzy posted:

you can get the idea of the goose game from a 20 second clip or watch someone LP it over an hour but it doesnt compare to the joy of locking the gardener out of his garden yourself. the whole point of the game is that its purely fun to mess around with.

Yeah it's a puzzle game with a bunch of slapstick, and the fun comes from having an idea and seeing what happens when you try it.

Arbite
Nov 4, 2009

Dawgstar posted:

Does that Disney War book that Lindsay talks about sometimes say how Iger got the big chair? Was he a case of settling on the only person everybody hated the least?

Iger's barely mentioned, the book gets close to that point but it's a chronicle of Eisner's time there up to just before he left 2005.

A very interesting read but the pages ends before the story does (at least the edition I got, maybe it was updated later).

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Is Scorsese angry about comic book movies because the Joker movie rips off the King of Comedy and Taxi Driver?

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

Antifa Turkeesian posted:

Is Scorsese angry about comic book movies because the Joker movie rips off the King of Comedy and Taxi Driver?

Scorsese was meant to produce Joker for about a year but then it fell through, and his comments were more directed at MCU stuff I think.

Bonaventure
Jun 23, 2005

by sebmojo
JOKER: You mean, let me understand this cause-- ya know maybe it's me, I'm a little hosed up maybe --but I'm funny how; I mean, funny like I'm a clown, I amuse you? I make you laugh, I'm here to fuckin' amuse you? Well, thank you for the compliment, it means a lot to me.

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

“People who are upset by Scorsese’s comments should ask themselves why they’re so upset by them, and whether their response, in its own way, proves his point.”

I'm "upset" because it just sounds like yet more moneyed boomer snob poo poo and I've had enough of that for a lifetime in my already young age, so no.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

"According to Wikipedia" there is a black hole that emits zionist hawking radiation where my brain should have been

I really should just shut the fuck up and stop posting forever
College Slice

Archer666 posted:

The Scorcese thing reminds me of people getting mad at Ebert for saying that video games aren't art. The same energy.

So they're both objectively wrong then?

UnfurledSails
Sep 1, 2011

stillvisions posted:

Yeah, I feel like this is taking an extreme stance to maybe make some sort of point about it? If he's trying to make a point, however, it seems to be going over the heads over a lot of people, though he managed to get their attention. Given his past with cookie clicker I almost wondered if there was a satire here that missed the mark.

I had a friend who went on these extreme jaunts of "THIS IS WHAT A GAME SHOULD BE". At some point I distinctly remember him mashing the start button at a cutscene and almost literally yelling "LALALALA I SHOULDN'T HAVE TO BE TOLD THIS" while covering his eyes and ears because he was on the kick that a game should never have to tell you anything, ever, and if he couldn't instinctively understand what to do next and how, it was "bad design". He thankfully grew out of that one fast.

Have him play The Witness

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

FoldableHuman posted:

Bogost actually wrote a really good book back in 2007 called Persuasive Games. He is legitimately not-awful at game's writing, but he has a particular taste for going out to the absolute extreme end of the weeds normally reserved for unbearably dry academic papers published in journals no one had heard of read by seven people total, except in Ian's case it gets published in The Atlantic.

It's a lot like runway fashion. Bogost is the dude making the four-foot-wide hat and the pants that look like a Christmas sweater worn on your legs with the intent that more pragmatic designers will take the broad form and turn it into actual consumer goods that humans would wear. There's just as good an argument about how useful that role is in academia as in fashion, but, you know, it's there.

I can see that. His writing sorta reminds me of this dry but interesting book I finished last week about Japan’s decision to declare war on the US. Except this dude is way less interesting and more kinda sad.

Yardbomb posted:

“People who are upset by Scorsese’s comments should ask themselves why they’re so upset by them, and whether their response, in its own way, proves his point.”

I'm "upset" because it just sounds like yet more moneyed boomer snob poo poo and I've had enough of that for a lifetime in my already young age, so no.

This. Like I don’t think he is that wrong really. Like I like his movies as well as marvel though for different reasons. My kinda issue is he kinda comes off as a mad old boomer. Like the dude makes movies about horrible people doing horrible poo poo and like twice they suffer for it. So idk lol.

Bug Squash
Mar 18, 2009

Scorsese is objectively wrong, but I can see his point and it's Scorsese so he's earned himself an old man yells at clouds moment.

People defending a multibillion pound empire like it's the Louvre should probably watch some other films.

You can continue to enjoy them, so do I, and sensible discussion about how they are still art even if commercial is healthy and encouraged.

Bug Squash fucked around with this message at 15:52 on Oct 24, 2019

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Yardbomb posted:

Ok well he's right and I'm broke trans millennial

Kim Justice
Jan 29, 2007

I don't think Scorsese's comments are particularly new for him? Like, he's probably been saying similar things since the 1980's. He's not a blockbuster guy, and that opposition between directors such as himself and those films has always existed. Cinema vs Hollywood.

Archer666
Dec 27, 2008

Raenir Salazar posted:

So they're both objectively wrong then?

Welcome to the Gamer side of the culture war.

Dean of Swing
Feb 22, 2012

Bug Squash posted:

Scorsese is objectively right

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Jesus bogost is a sad fucker it’s not the worst I have scene on the subject but it’s close. Also isn’t iger quiting in like 2 years.

Bug Squash posted:

Scorcese is objectively wrong, but I can see his point and it's Scorcese so he's earned himself an old man yells at clouds moment.

People defending a multibillion pound empire like it's the Louvre should probably watch some other films.

You can continue to enjoy them, so do I, and sensible discussion about how they are still art even if commercial is healthy and encouraged.

This. Marvel movies probably arnt high art. Some of them are genuinely good for various reasons and levels but yeah. Just spread out with interests of different kinds of media and you will be fine.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
None of the marvel movies are genuinely good. They are assembly line mediocrity designed to bring in the maximum amount of value each and keep funneling people to the next stop

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
The only good marvel movie is blade

Bug Squash
Mar 18, 2009

Dapper_Swindler posted:

This. Marvel movies probably arnt high art. Some of them are genuinely good for various reasons and levels but yeah. Just spread out with interests of different kinds of media and you will be fine.
My local art museum has a display of letters they received from people who were mad as hell about them aquiring Andy Warhol and Roy Lichtenstein pieces. It's just a debate that cycles every generation. Of course, Scorsese was present for the last one so he's got a bit less excuse.

Not quite the MCU, but Logan was doing some incredible heavy lifting to elevate superhero movies.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Scorsese is objectively wrong

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Bonaventure
Jun 23, 2005

by sebmojo

Captain Invictus posted:

this one

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

BENGHAZI 2 posted:

Ok well he's right and I'm broke trans millennial

If you wanna do that, I'm a broke trans/nb millennial with diagnosed depression, anxiety and the bergers who's had to live around southern fundie christian family and I've now for years been suffering from a kidney problem that I just flat out don't have the money or options to probably ever get fully fixed, so am in near daily pain without a constant dose of painkillers, which I have to constantly go in and argue to keep getting because of medical bullshit and the healthcare system trying to treat me like a drug fiend because DA OPIOD CRIIIISIS when I just want to not wake up some days feeling like I ate some glass, except he's wrong and sounds like a dumbass old snob. Outta my face with the oppression olympics.

And hell, I'm not even a fan of the marvel movies, I thought like 2 of them were good, haven't bothered to watch most, I've just gotten sick of old rich shits playing authority, yes disney are the system too, they also suck, but while they're also trash, the point is more that old white people going N-NUH UH, I DON'T LIKE THAT, IT'S NOT ~ART~ are lame, gently caress em.

Yardbomb fucked around with this message at 16:26 on Oct 24, 2019