Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

boo_radley
Dec 30, 2005

Politeness costs nothing

Sloth Life posted:

I wonder if playing Good Janet for bad reasons will become a habit and eventually Bad Janet will be Neutral Janet. The experiment itself fails miserably but team cockroach win because Glenn and BJ are no longer actually evil.

Did somebody say dumbass theory time?

all of the experiments are designed to teach janets how to be good. our good Janet has been rebooted millions of times before being activated by Michael.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

At the end of the show Janet will remove all afterlife beings from their roles and take over reality as a new god.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

MikeJF posted:

At the end of the show Janet will remove all afterlife beings from their roles and take over reality as a new god.

Janet becomes god is, I'm pretty sure, something that has already been theorized.

1glitch0
Sep 4, 2018

I DON'T GIVE A CRAP WHAT SHE BELIEVES THE HARRY POTTER BOOKS CHANGED MY LIFE #HUFFLEPUFF

silvergoose posted:

Janet becomes god is, I'm pretty sure, something that has already been theorized.

"Not God. But yes, I am now in control of all of the afterlife."

Sloth Life
Nov 15, 2014

Built for comfort and speed!
Fallen Rib
Reincarnation is the end game. All those resets for Team C and Janet, maybe Genny will decide that we all get a few do overs before being consigned to the dump of the afterlife.

Well, it IS dumbass theory time!

pwn
May 27, 2004

This Christmas get "Shoes"

:pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn:

Sloth Life posted:

Reincarnation is the end game. All those resets for Team C and Janet, maybe Genny will decide that we all get a few do overs before being consigned to the dump of the afterlife.

Well, it IS dumbass theory time!
I wanted to post last week about how “Janet” was acting strange, and her quiet little “yeah.” in ep 3 after Tahani walks off. But I thought: “No, this is too theory, the thread shouldn’t be made worse with this take.”

I could have been The Rightest Poster, the One Who Called It. But I let decorum and fear of a fun thread keep me quiet.

Don’t make the same mistake. Post your crazy theories

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

I assume I'm not alone in guessing that the wierd jar conversation with Jason last week was setup for a Jeremy Bearemy time travel bit where they have to sneak around the past. It reminded me a bit of a season of Doctor Who where a few wierd out-of-tone conversions and continuity flubs ended up being the Doctor from the finale going back into earlier episodes.

Sloth Life posted:

I've been thinking that that'd be a good way to deal with the kid issue, which they've been avoiding mentioning. 'Oh yeah, everyone who isn't an adult yet just gets sent around for another go.'

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 06:05 on Oct 23, 2019

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I represent the Philippines
I'd hate for our cast to be reincarnated because they've already effectively spent several lifetimes together, even if they don't remember most of it. I could see Michael finally getting to learn what it's like to be human by the end of things though.

YaketySass
Jan 15, 2019

Blind Idiot Dog
On the off chance Tahani isn't full of poo poo this time I thought the GoT boast was that characters from the show were inspired by her, which considering the differences with the books isn't impossible. Could be additions, or characters from the book taking on new traits.

But she totally is full of poo poo, so :shrug:.

1glitch0 posted:

"Not God. But yes, I am now in control of all of the afterlife."

The show is just a prequel for the Lucasarts Afterlife game.

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I'm pretty sure that all of her stories are meant to be true. We see the occasional confirmation, like when we find out she was the one who set up Drake with Ruth Bader Ginsburg, or when we see that she dated a Hemsworth brother. I think she'd have too much pride to artificially pump up her status.

Sub Rosa
Jun 9, 2010

pwn posted:

Don’t make the same mistake. Post your crazy theories
Our heroes actually succeed in completely changing how the afterlife works at the cost of their own existence, and cease to exist in any form.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer

Taear posted:

The characters from the book are the ones the show are based on and it doesn't make sense. And if he's basing them on young Tahani that makes some of the scenes that Dany does in the first book proper loving creepy.

Hate to drag this out, but- you're assuming Danerys is one of the 8 characters.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
Guys don't overthink the joke.

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I feel like I should apologize; I foolishly thought that the GoT question would be a fun diversion from the direction the thread was earlier going in, but instead I may have doomed us all. That's my bad, guys.

curiousCat
Sep 23, 2012

Does this look like the face of mercy, kupo?
don't worry, I'll save us

https://twitter.com/RayStarKitty/status/1186751930304843776

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Kyle Schwarber: World Series hero, Beefy Lad, better than you.

Illegal Hen
I think one of the previous posters had it right when they said Glenn may be the key to the experiment. I think they might not be able to improve ALL the humans, especially Brent, but I think the Judge would see that they made a freakin' demon GOOD and that's not supposed to be possible and they're let in.

And that's my stupid theory.

END CHEMTRAILS NOW
Apr 16, 2005

Pillbug
If hell is other people, then maybe heaven is too. My crazy theory is that when they reform the afterlife, they create a bunch of medium place neighborhoods that are similar to Michael's original "good" place. Humans are sorted into groups in a way similar to the original 4. Then it's up to the humans if they'll work together to become better or make each other miserable.

pwn
May 27, 2004

This Christmas get "Shoes"

:pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn:

END CHEMTRAILS NOW posted:

If hell is other people, then maybe heaven is too. My crazy theory is that when they reform the afterlife, they create a bunch of medium place neighborhoods that are similar to Michael's original "good" place. Humans are sorted into groups in a way similar to the original 4. Then it's up to the humans if they'll work together to become better or make each other miserable.
This is a pretty great idea. Tonally similar to the ending of Broad City.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

pwn posted:

This is a pretty great idea. Tonally similar to the ending of Broad City.

The Good Place is actually just a Dark City sequel

Mameluke
Aug 2, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
The eight Game of Thrones characters revealed;

Hodor, Moon Boy, Patchface, Mord, Rorge, Biter, Janos Slynt, and Qyburn

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!
Me?!

seaborgium
Aug 1, 2002

"Nothing a shitload of bleach won't fix"

BigBallChunkyTime posted:

I think one of the previous posters had it right when they said Glenn may be the key to the experiment. I think they might not be able to improve ALL the humans, especially Brent, but I think the Judge would see that they made a freakin' demon GOOD and that's not supposed to be possible and they're let in.

And that's my stupid theory.

You're not alone in that theory, and really it wouldn't even be the first demon they made good. Or at least to realize that while he does enjoy torturing the absolute gently caress out of people who deserve it, he's not so keen on doing it to people who lived good lives.

8one6
May 20, 2012

When in doubt, err on the side of Awesome!

I would love it if in the end they realize that infinite punishment for finite sin is inherently hosed up and dismantle the entire system while loudly and directly into the camera stating that anyone who thinks it's a good system is a lovely person.

Ishamael
Feb 18, 2004

You don't have to love me, but you will respect me.

8one6 posted:

I would love it if in the end they realize that infinite punishment for finite sin is inherently hosed up and dismantle the entire system while loudly and directly into the camera stating that anyone who thinks it's a good system is a lovely person.

It really is, I mean think about it: Every single person is entered into a contest, the rules of which they are not allowed to know, and if they win they get eternal happiness and if they lose they are tortured for eternity. That suuuuuucks. Oh, and also: no one wins. Who designed this? And why??

:psyduck:

Let's waste some time and do what nerds do best: nitpick fictional institutions. So let's talk about the system for a minute. We are shown two different explanations for going to the Bad Place.

On one hand we have Tahani, who we were told was sent to TBP because she did good things but for bad reasons. This indicates that INTENTION is the key. You can do good things, but if you do them for the wrong reason, the points are not counted.

Later, Michael uses the tomato example, which is all about ACTION as the key. A man with good intentions buys a tomato, but unwittingly supports a corrupt system. In this example his intention did not matter, every action's consequences are counted regardless of intention.

So, which one is it? If actions are the ultimate metric, then Tahani should have gotten into TGP since she donated BILLIONS to charity. If even a fraction of those people were helped, that should be a huge number of points that even a lifetime of private jet trips shouldn't be able to overcome.

But if intention is the true key, then the tomato guy shouldn't have lost points, since he was doing a neutral action with no corrupt intentions (livin that tomato lyfe).

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
The key is intention and action together it's not that difficult

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

I'm looking for a flock of urbanmechs.

Rarity posted:

It is when you don't know which actions and intentions are worth more or less, and when you're held personally responsible for participating in society and contributing to every negative consequence that that society creates no matter what your intentions are or how much you possibly could have known about the people, businesses, and institutions you interact with.

Ishamael
Feb 18, 2004

Rarity posted:

:rolleyes: awesome

Either intention matters or it doesn't, mens rea vs actus rea. It changes the way the system works dramatically.

Another thing to consider is that we don't actually know if Michael was telling the truth when he told Tahani why she went to the Bad Place. That was back in S1, when he was still torturing them. The only actual facts we have are from when he stole the Book of Dougs, everything before that may have been conjecture.

END CHEMTRAILS NOW
Apr 16, 2005

Pillbug

Ishamael posted:

Either intention matters or it doesn't, mens rea vs actus rea. It changes the way the system works dramatically.
If you have bad intention, you lose points regardless of the result. If your actions have bad results, you lose points regardless of the intention. You only gain points if you have good intentions and your actions result in good outcomes.

In the US legal system, most crimes require you to have both mens rea and actus rea. The points system in the show is the inverse of this, where either one of the two alone will convict you.

yorkinshire
Apr 28, 2009

In space no one can hear your dope beats.
What's to stop the good demons from taking over the bad place entirely and restructuring it, thus making the accountants meaningless.

boo_radley
Dec 30, 2005

Politeness costs nothing

yorkinshire posted:

What's to stop the good demons from taking over the bad place entirely and restructuring it, thus making the accountants meaningless.

This implies that the accountants are secretly rigging the points system to ensure they'll always have more accounting work.

Ishamael
Feb 18, 2004

END CHEMTRAILS NOW posted:

The points system in the show is the inverse of this, where either one of the two alone will convict you.

It does seem that way, which really leads to the question of WHY this system exists. What is the point of a punishment system where the rules are secret and knowing the rules disqualifies you from playing?

In real life, religious systems are created to give people a hope of a benefit after death, basically persuading people to be good in hopes of a reward/fear of a punishment. If the system is secret, then why keep track of people's points? What benefit does the system get from having people be sorted into good and bad?

Basically what I am saying is that we need to meet God in this show, and I hope they get someone awesome to play God.

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Kyle Schwarber: World Series hero, Beefy Lad, better than you.

Illegal Hen

Ishamael posted:

It does seem that way, which really leads to the question of WHY this system exists. What is the point of a punishment system where the rules are secret and knowing the rules disqualifies you from playing?

In real life, religious systems are created to give people a hope of a benefit after death, basically persuading people to be good in hopes of a reward/fear of a punishment. If the system is secret, then why keep track of people's points? What benefit does the system get from having people be sorted into good and bad?

Basically what I am saying is that we need to meet God in this show, and I hope they get someone awesome to play God.

I thought the Judge was basically God.

8one6
May 20, 2012

When in doubt, err on the side of Awesome!

BigBallChunkyTime posted:

I thought the Judge was basically God.

The judge was a perfectly neutral arbiter who basically didn't give a poo poo about humanity until team cockroach convinced her to see just how impossible living up to the moral purity the point system demands is for anyone on Earth.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

"God" in this context would be whoever actually designed this whole messed up system. That's explicitly not the Judge.

That said we also don't have any in show evidence that such an entity actually exists.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

The judge is a neutral burrito.

YaketySass
Jan 15, 2019

Blind Idiot Dog

Regy Rusty posted:

"God" in this context would be whoever actually designed this whole messed up system. That's explicitly not the Judge.

That said we also don't have any in show evidence that such an entity actually exists.

If the show goes in that direction I expect it to be a "collective unconscious" deal.

Wungus
Mar 5, 2004

Ishamael posted:

On one hand we have Tahani, who we were told was sent to TBP because she did good things but for bad reasons. This indicates that INTENTION is the key. You can do good things, but if you do them for the wrong reason, the points are not counted.

Later, Michael uses the tomato example, which is all about ACTION as the key. A man with good intentions buys a tomato, but unwittingly supports a corrupt system. In this example his intention did not matter, every action's consequences are counted regardless of intention.
In the same scene as the Tahani one we are then told that Chidi had good intentions but his actions had bad consequences, Jason had no intentions but bad outcomes, and Eleanor had bad intentions and bad outcomes.

Ishamael posted:

It's a critique on tradition. The purpose wasn't to come up with a million ways to punish, the purpose was to see who gets to go to the good place (where good celestial beings work) and the bad place (where bad celestial beings work) - but consequence and run on actions have led to a serious imbalance that wasn't planned in the first place. It's not working as intended, but we've explicitly seen demons and angels on the show and we know that their whole existence is based on doing poo poo with human souls.

Parting the curtains: the show is essentially saying "hey, if you do things just because we've always done them this way, you're a huge part of a problem and also gently caress you." Or, to put it another way, "maybe the founding fathers didn't loving know poo poo about megacorporations or assault rifles or really anything in today's society or even how big you should sign a drat piece of paper let's be real and it's past time to reexamine that poo poo."

1glitch0
Sep 4, 2018

I DON'T GIVE A CRAP WHAT SHE BELIEVES THE HARRY POTTER BOOKS CHANGED MY LIFE #HUFFLEPUFF

Ishamael posted:

If they meet God and it's not Bill Murray I will be disappointed.

But I agree with your posts. In real life the religious systems make sense to keep people in line and keep the fear of death out of people's heads. But if it actually existed the entire thing would be ludicrous. Like every American toddler by the age of 6 would be so in the points hole just by playing with plastic toys and eating Happy Meals that they'd have to end slavery or something to even have a shot.

Like, for example, Doug Forcett. If it's about how much "good" you put out in the world does he lose points for doing what that kid bully tells him to do if that kid gets confidence about bullying people and ends up killing someone? Is that on Doug? Should Doug have just yelled at him and told him to be better to people?

And you're also right about how without knowing the rules, it's just an insane game. Imagine a football game where the players are just placed on the field, given a football and not told the rules. Sometimes the whistle is blown, sometimes it isn't, and you don't even know what the goal is or why the whistle was blown.

Maybe the end is they confront God (Bill Murray) and ask him why this entire insane system was set-up in the first place and he just says, "I dunno, I thought it would be funny." And then decides just everyone on Earth, TBP and everything in existence just goes to The Good Place because why the gently caress not?

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
See I feel the thrust of this series is less taking on religion- as pointed out in the very first episode, TGP's system doesn't really conform with any established religion's setup- and more about "how to be ethical in a complex world". It's examining what ethical behavior is, using this afterlife system as a setup.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
It reminds me of a book I read a few weeks ago, The Management Styles of the Supreme Beings, where the idea is God sells Earth to a third party deity because he feels he's lost touch and that it deserves a fresh perspective - the new guys completely restructure the system turning it from a punishment/reward system to a pay-as-you-sin system, and announce their existence and the new system to the world leaving no doubt in anyone's mind that they exist and are now in charge. Technically this does improve things as no one can afford to do evil, even the rich (due to how expensive the fines are, political crimes cost the GDP of half a country and murder alone is about 100 million to pay) so the poor stop being exploited, war ends and all the worlds problems are solved - however everyone is miserable despite the newfound equality because every time someone even thinks about sinning a little window opens with an accountant wagging his finger and basically saying "Are you sure you want to say/do that?"

If they don't or can't pay, they are sent to a supernatural debtors prison until the debt is paid by someone else. You don't die, you don't get hungry, you can't even move. You just... sit there for eternity until you get bailed out, and if you don't? Well sucks to be you.