Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Automata 10 Pack
Jun 21, 2007

Ten games published by Automata, on one cassette
My woodman’s got the Angels Envy Rye and boy it’s really, really sweet. It’s complex, but it feels like I’m eating a bunch of really good candy together. Like some super exquisite ribbon candy and licorice. I don’t know of it’s my style, but it’s a good one to show off.

I also endorse the 1910. If you like the full body experience of the 1920 but want less bite and more oak, go for it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

Yuns posted:

Yes, some weird stuff on his list and really odd he would name 1792 FP, WLW and Handy, 3 Sazerac products, as 1, 2, and 3 best whiskies in the world when I'm not even convinced that they are the 3 best Sazerac/BT products that year.

WLW and Handy are always great. 1792 is pretty inexplicable, the Barton distillery juice just does not stand up to the rest of what BT puts out.

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch
:hawksin:

Odd Mutant posted:

My woodman’s got the Angels Envy Rye and boy it’s really, really sweet. It’s complex, but it feels like I’m eating a bunch of really good candy together. Like some super exquisite ribbon candy and licorice. I don’t know of it’s my style, but it’s a good one to show off.

I also endorse the 1910. If you like the full body experience of the 1920 but want less bite and more oak, go for it.

The Rye is one of the best things I have ever had. The plantation xo rum cask finish really does lend an incredibly sweet candy finish to it. I actually drive down to the distillery to buy bottles when I run out now that I live 3ish hours away.

I’m not a huge fan of any of the old foresters. I haven’t had the to 1910 though so I might grab some next time I see it.

DoctaFun
Dec 12, 2005

Dammit Francis!
Had a dram of Glendronach 18 last night, it’s probably my fourth drink out of this bottle and it’s opened up fantastically. One of the best sherried scotch I’ve had, right up there with my batch 47 Aberlour A’bunadh.

My first dram had a very strong black pepper bite, but it appears that it might have just needed to open up a bit.

Now I’m thinking about getting a backup bottle before the 18 year isn’t ‘older stock’ anymore :(.

Need to finish a few bottles first though, my EHTaylor small batch had just never suited my tastes, so I think it might be time to make some big old fashioned’s to drain that bottle.

obi_ant
Apr 8, 2005

DoctaFun posted:

Need to finish a few bottles first though, my EHTaylor small batch had just never suited my tastes, so I think it might be time to make some big old fashioned’s to drain that bottle.

Big boozy Manhattans is how I drink my E.H. Taylor.

Lowness 72
Jul 19, 2006
BUTTS LOL

Jade Ear Joe

DoctaFun posted:

Had a dram of Glendronach 18 last night, it’s probably my fourth drink out of this bottle and it’s opened up fantastically. One of the best sherried scotch I’ve had, right up there with my batch 47 Aberlour A’bunadh.

My first dram had a very strong black pepper bite, but it appears that it might have just needed to open up a bit.

Now I’m thinking about getting a backup bottle before the 18 year isn’t ‘older stock’ anymore :(.

Glendronach was one of my favorite drams in my Edinburgh whisky extravaganza.

Weltlich
Feb 13, 2006
Grimey Drawer
Hey guys, I hate doing this, but I'm dropping by with a big ask of US goons who love spirits and any sort of alcohol in general.

In 2017, there was a roll-back of the excise tax rate on Spirits, Beer, and Wine across the board, targeted at smaller producers. I don't know how the rates changed for Beer and Wine, but for spirits, we saw our tax rate go from $13.50 per proof gallon to $2.70 a proof gallon. That was huge and it meant that small producers could put that money toward hiring people or increasing production.

Well, that change to the excise tax rate is going to expire on Dec 31 of this year unless H.R 1175/S.362 gets passed before the end of the year.

If it fails to pass, a lot of small distilleries are just going to disappear. For us, it literally meant we could afford to hire an employee and pay him a living wage with actual healthcare, dental, and PTO. We were hoping we might hire two more people this year, but if this doesn't pass that probably won't happen.

For you, the consumer of spirits, this will potentially tack on another ~$2.70 per (750ml, 40%abv) bottle of spirits across the board. The big guys (Bacardi, etc) didn't drop their prices when this tax beak took effect two years ago, but I wouldn't be surprised if they use it as an excuse for a price jump. Between this and the new tariffs, you could see a $5 to $10 jump on may bottles, no matter their place of origin.

I know that the quality of some craft spirits is pretty dubious (and I largely agree!) but this section of the industry is still in its infancy. The people most at risk here are the ones who have been doing it right, quietly building barrel stocks and taking the time to make something good instead of just rushing subpar or rectified spirits to market. If we're going to see some new good brands arise over the next few decades while those barrels mature, distilleries like mine need all the help we can get to make sure that we can bring out the good stuff when it's ready.

If you've got literally 30 seconds to spare, and you're a US citizen, please click this link: https://p2a.co/jCFN85n
All you have to do is enter your name, address, phone number, and email, and it auto generates an email to send to your senators and congressperson to ask them to vote Yes on H.R 1175/S.362 . You can post on twitter and phone them, if you are so inclined, but just the email would be a massive boon.

This doesn't just help me, it helps every other distillery, brewery, and winery out there.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

No need to apologise, imo.

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

Weltlich posted:

Hey guys, I hate doing this, but I'm dropping by with a big ask of US goons who love spirits and any sort of alcohol in general.

In 2017, there was a roll-back of the excise tax rate on Spirits, Beer, and Wine across the board, targeted at smaller producers. I don't know how the rates changed for Beer and Wine, but for spirits, we saw our tax rate go from $13.50 per proof gallon to $2.70 a proof gallon. That was huge and it meant that small producers could put that money toward hiring people or increasing production.

Well, that change to the excise tax rate is going to expire on Dec 31 of this year unless H.R 1175/S.362 gets passed before the end of the year.

If it fails to pass, a lot of small distilleries are just going to disappear. For us, it literally meant we could afford to hire an employee and pay him a living wage with actual healthcare, dental, and PTO. We were hoping we might hire two more people this year, but if this doesn't pass that probably won't happen.

For you, the consumer of spirits, this will potentially tack on another ~$2.70 per (750ml, 40%abv) bottle of spirits across the board. The big guys (Bacardi, etc) didn't drop their prices when this tax beak took effect two years ago, but I wouldn't be surprised if they use it as an excuse for a price jump. Between this and the new tariffs, you could see a $5 to $10 jump on may bottles, no matter their place of origin.

I know that the quality of some craft spirits is pretty dubious (and I largely agree!) but this section of the industry is still in its infancy. The people most at risk here are the ones who have been doing it right, quietly building barrel stocks and taking the time to make something good instead of just rushing subpar or rectified spirits to market. If we're going to see some new good brands arise over the next few decades while those barrels mature, distilleries like mine need all the help we can get to make sure that we can bring out the good stuff when it's ready.

If you've got literally 30 seconds to spare, and you're a US citizen, please click this link: https://p2a.co/jCFN85n
All you have to do is enter your name, address, phone number, and email, and it auto generates an email to send to your senators and congressperson to ask them to vote Yes on H.R 1175/S.362 . You can post on twitter and phone them, if you are so inclined, but just the email would be a massive boon.

This doesn't just help me, it helps every other distillery, brewery, and winery out there.

Always happy to side against regressive consumption taxes and for my personal access to additional whiskey.

Gravitee
Nov 20, 2003

I just put money in the Magic Fingers!
Can I repost to my local bourbon groups?

Weltlich
Feb 13, 2006
Grimey Drawer

Gravitee posted:

Can I repost to my local bourbon groups?

Please do!

Edit: Also, thanks so very much, guys. This means a ton to me, and I know the rest of the industry appreciates it, too.

And I know people have said no apology necessary, but I always feel a little weird about bringing "business" into the forums. You guys are the best internet pals a guy could ask for.

Weltlich fucked around with this message at 00:16 on Oct 23, 2019

Alarbus
Mar 31, 2010

silvergoose posted:

No need to apologise, imo.

Seconded!

Form sent! :)

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Got myself a bottle of Whistlepig Old World 12YO Rye, for entirely too much money... But drat is it good.

bitprophet
Jul 22, 2004
Taco Defender

spankmeister posted:

Got myself a bottle of Whistlepig Old World 12YO Rye, for entirely too much money... But drat is it good.
I apparently liked a pour of this I had once, as well as their Farmstock Crop 002, but I also got the sense (granted, partly influenced by your average review blogger) that the brand is on the overpriced side. Thoughts?

Re: Angel's Envy Finished Rye from upthread: I initially liked it quite a bit despite the sweetness, but by the time I finished the bottle I'd become more lukewarm. It'll probably be a while before I get it again (on account of there being so many other sweet-edged rum/sherry/etc finished whiskeys that I've not yet tried) - though I could see it happening eventually.

Weltlich, I clicked your link, and then I typed some words and clicked a few more times, and now my congresscritters have additional emails :getin:

Deceptive Thinker
Oct 5, 2005

I'll rip out your optics!
Alright guys I'm jumping on the LL/GK train and will report back shortly

Yuns
Aug 19, 2000

There is an idea of a Yuns, some kind of abstraction, but there is no real me, only an entity, something illusory, and though I can hide my cold gaze and you can shake my hand and feel flesh gripping yours and maybe you can even sense our lifestyles are probably comparable: I simply am not there.
Don't get too hyped about the Rare Breed LL/G. it's a very good daily drinker and all around sipper and good value. But it is not transcendent or a once in a lifetime drink. I don't want people to be mislead about what it is and have it fall into the Weller style hype. Like I said RB is very good bourbon at a good price and makes a good regular bottle at MSRP. Don't expect a BTAC killer or anything like that.

Deceptive Thinker
Oct 5, 2005

I'll rip out your optics!
While the nose is hotter, this tastes quite similar to the WB Saffell I bought at the distillery when I was there in march (@50 for a 375)
I won't trade it for the Russell's barrel pick peanut butter bomb that I grabbed 3 bottles of a year ago, but I'll grab another before my next 101 bottle

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

bitprophet posted:

I apparently liked a pour of this I had once, as well as their Farmstock Crop 002, but I also got the sense (granted, partly influenced by your average review blogger) that the brand is on the overpriced side. Thoughts?

Definitely very expensive. $130 is a lot of money for a 12yo whiskey, which in the end is still an MGP product. However I can say it was the smoothest and most flavor-packed rye I've ever had. Worth it? I think so, but it's not something I'd buy more than maybe once a year.

DoctaFun
Dec 12, 2005

Dammit Francis!

Yuns posted:

Don't get too hyped about the Rare Breed LL/G. it's a very good daily drinker and all around sipper and good value. But it is not transcendent or a once in a lifetime drink. I don't want people to be mislead about what it is and have it fall into the Weller style hype. Like I said RB is very good bourbon at a good price and makes a good regular bottle at MSRP. Don't expect a BTAC killer or anything like that.

Obviously they are different animals with WT having a higher rye content and VW being a wheated, but I think I’d take a rare breed over lot B all day.

But yes, not like hoard 20 of them in the basement or anything, but a great example of what $40-$45 can and should get you in on the bourbon side.

On a separate note, keep an eye on your local costco, St Louis Park Costco in MN has Evan Williams Single barrel for $9.97 :stare: . I think EWSiB is one of the best values in bourbon at $20-$25, but at $10 it’s unreal.

Yuns
Aug 19, 2000

There is an idea of a Yuns, some kind of abstraction, but there is no real me, only an entity, something illusory, and though I can hide my cold gaze and you can shake my hand and feel flesh gripping yours and maybe you can even sense our lifestyles are probably comparable: I simply am not there.
Agreed on RB vs Lot B. And thanks for the heads up on then EW. Less than $10 is an insane value. It's worth buying a case at that price.

Apache
May 11, 2004

Had a pretty good birthday for adding to my whisk(e)y collection, got the following:
Redbreast 15
Oban 14
Aberlour A'bunadh batch 64
Lagavulin Distillers reserve

I've only opened the Redbreast 15 so far, and it was very good. The previous bottling of the distillers reserve that I picked up when we visited Edinburgh several years ago is probably my favorite whisky, so I'm glad to get another bottle. I remember it being fairly peaty, but not as much as the Octomore 8.3, which is a monster and not as balanced as the Lagavulin.

Adding those to my current stock of Glendronach 15 revival and Octomore 8.3 gives me a decent scotch allocation. I also picked up Larceny and Russel's Reserve recently to replace the McKenna 10 yr bottled in bond we just finished , but haven't opened them yet either.

What should I be expecting from the Aberlour and Oban? I'm also looking for a rye to replace the Templeton 4 that is about to run out for making Sazeracs. Any recommendations there? Should I go with Russel's for that as well?

Alarbus
Mar 31, 2010

Yuns posted:

Yep. I think the key thing is that it's a good value proposition. I think LL/H is still reasonable, but to me the flavor profile is very different.

When a lot of the market ends up on the pricey end, something punching at weight is a decent find.

Nice piece of fish
Jan 29, 2008

Ultra Carp
Man, getting any kind of real quality rye where I live is difficult. With the alcohol monopoly, my basic choices are:
  • Woodford Reserve Kentucky Straight Rye
  • Jim Beam Rye
  • Hudson Manhattan Rye
  • Michter's US #1 Straight Rye Single barrel (my go-to for now)
  • Cedar Ridge Malted Rye Whisky
  • Bulleit Rye and Bulleit Rye 95

Special mention goes to:
  • Zuidam Rye Genever (basically rye booze unspecified type from Geneva?)
  • Warenghem Roof Rye Double Maturation French Whisky (french rye whisky? the hell?)

I've tried basically Bulleit Rye, Michter's and Jim Beam and of those, Michter's is by far my preferred dram. But I want more. Much more. Any of these ones catch your eye as interesting or obviously preferred? Basically all of these have to be ordered and are impossible to just pick up in a store, which is why I'm here asking the experts. I wish they sold Rittenhouse but they stopped in 2016 or something, and private import while possible is really quite pricy. Seeing as how I need to order up stuff anyway, I'd really rather not waste my money if I can avoid it.

Weltlich
Feb 13, 2006
Grimey Drawer

Nice piece of fish posted:

Man, getting any kind of real quality rye where I live is difficult. With the alcohol monopoly, my basic choices are:
  • Jim Beam Rye
  • Hudson Manhattan Rye

Special mention goes to:
  • Warenghem Roof Rye Double Maturation French Whisky (french rye whisky? the hell?)

I've tried basically Bulleit Rye, Michter's and Jim Beam and of those, Michter's is by far my preferred dram. But I want more. Much more. Any of these ones catch your eye as interesting or obviously preferred? Basically all of these have to be ordered and are impossible to just pick up in a store, which is why I'm here asking the experts. I wish they sold Rittenhouse but they stopped in 2016 or something, and private import while possible is really quite pricy. Seeing as how I need to order up stuff anyway, I'd really rather not waste my money if I can avoid it.

The Genever is actually a sort of Dutch style Gin. If you like gin, and you like rye, then you might like it. If you don't like gin, then you would be really upset if you took a swig thinking it was whiskey.

Nice piece of fish
Jan 29, 2008

Ultra Carp
I hate gin, so that's a very useful warning, thank you very much.

DoctaFun
Dec 12, 2005

Dammit Francis!

Apache posted:

What should I be expecting from the Aberlour and Oban? I'm also looking for a rye to replace the Templeton 4 that is about to run out for making Sazeracs. Any recommendations there? Should I go with Russel's for that as well?

I’ve heard Oban described as ‘Scotch’s greatest hits’ and I think I like that description. It has a little bit of all the major scotch ‘flavors’ to me. Most specifically, I always seem to get a bit of smoke and a bit of tart / sweet(like an apple in the middle of the tart/sweet spectrum or something). Very enjoyable though, and I feel well balanced. I don’t generally reach for super peaty/smoky scotch, so this one fits the bill if I want just a bit of that.

The Aberlour seems to vary quite a bit by batch, but the batch I have is very heavy on the plum type fruit notes, some bite/heat, but the most glorious mouthfeel I’ve experienced in a whisky. Very creamy and thick, which I just love.

Toast Museum
Dec 3, 2005

30% Iron Chef

I hate gin, so that's a very useful warning, thank you very much.

It's different enough from London dry gins that it's worth trying at least once. Also look for St. George Rye Reposado, which I think even advertises as gin for whiskey drinkers.

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

• Jim Beam Rye
  • Hudson Manhattan Rye

Special mention goes to:

Avoid Hudson. The Woodford should be fine, if not terribly impressive.

What you're really looking for are Sazerac, wild turkey 101 rye, or maybe something from High West. I know they have several of those in other European countries, so you might spot them on a trip someday (UK is probably your best bet).

Vox Nihili fucked around with this message at 17:49 on Oct 24, 2019

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

bitprophet posted:

The general consensus on Whistlepig is that the 10-year store picks (cask strength) can be decent at ~$90 but everything else is generally either mediocre, wildly overpriced, or both. If you find a store pick sourced from MGP rather than Alberta rye then you're in business.

Apprentice Dick
Dec 1, 2009
I really like the Crown Royal Rye as it is pretty tasty, can be found anywhere and anytime, and it is cheaper than a lot of other ryes.

Nice piece of fish
Jan 29, 2008

Ultra Carp

Vox Nihili posted:

Avoid Hudson. The Woodford should be fine, if not terribly impressive.

What you're really looking for are Sazerac, wild turkey 101 rye, or maybe something from High West. I know they have several of those in other European countries, so you might spot them on a trip someday (UK is probably your best bet).

Appreciate it, and yeah obviously I'm gonna keep an eye out. It's how I found an a'bunadh to take home. But the selection is sadly limited and I'm not going galivanting any time soon due to the environment and such things.

Apprentice Dick posted:

I really like the Crown Royal Rye as it is pretty tasty, can be found anywhere and anytime, and it is cheaper than a lot of other ryes.

Thanks, it's not possible for me to get but I'll keep the name in mind.

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

Apprentice Dick posted:

Northern Harvest is pretty good for a Canadian rye. Still sweeter than my preference but more rye-forward than a lot of Canadian whiskey that's supposed to be rye. Plus Canadian eyes tend to be a lot cheaper.

Vox Nihili fucked around with this message at 20:11 on Oct 24, 2019

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

Vox Nihili posted:

Always happy to side against regressive consumption taxes and for my personal access to additional whiskey.

Sort of a side note, but my senator responded, letting me know that she's a supporter of the bill. Cool!

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Vox Nihili posted:

The general consensus on Whistlepig is that the 10-year store picks (cask strength) can be decent at ~$90 but everything else is generally either mediocre, wildly overpriced, or both. If you find a store pick sourced from MGP rather than Alberta rye then you're in business.

This 12yo I got is a store pick MGP rye. It's very good. Pricy though.

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

spankmeister posted:

This 12yo I got is a store pick MGP rye. It's very good. Pricy though.

The finished store picks (I think all the 12-years are finished in wine barrels) can be good but I haven't seen any at cask strength, and they still charge the same big markup as the 10-year barrel picks (which are cask strength). It's unfortunate because I happen to love cask strength wine-finished whiskey AND cask strength MGP rye.

I did happen to get one of those 12-year bottles as a gift and it's very good drinking, it's just not for me at the $100+ price point.

Weltlich
Feb 13, 2006
Grimey Drawer

Vox Nihili posted:

Sort of a side note, but my senator responded, letting me know that she's a supporter of the bill. Cool!

:toot:

Toast Museum
Dec 3, 2005

30% Iron Chef
All I've received from my representative so far is an automated acknowledgement with a promise to reply, but he kicked off his term by promoting craft beer in the House, so for once I'm not too worried about how he'll vote. As for my senators, I wouldn't count on poo poo unless you've got kompromat.

Inspector 34
Mar 9, 2009

DOES NOT RESPECT THE RUN

BUT THEY WILL

Vox Nihili posted:

:same:

Except my guy is a co-sponsor! Which is cool, but I kind of wish it was a person who was on the fence about it and maybe I could have helped swing the vote.

Weltlich
Feb 13, 2006
Grimey Drawer
Right now the bill seems to have a majority support, but the issue is actually bringing it to a vote.

I'm hoping the current impeachment circus doesn't stop it from happening :ohdear:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gravitee
Nov 20, 2003

I just put money in the Magic Fingers!
My House rep is not on board. I tend to agree with her on most things so :shrug:

Thank you for sharing your thoughts with me regarding the Tax Cuts and Jobs Act. In Congress, I am committed to working towards comprehensive tax reform that creates better jobs for our workers and prosperity for our businesses. 

Since being signed into law in December of 2017, the Tax Cuts and Jobs Act has failed to deliver long-promised tax relief for middle-class Americans. Analysis by the Tax Policy Center illustrates that the bill has raised taxes on 86 million middle class families, given 83 percent of tax cuts to corporations and the wealthiest one percent, and exploded the deficit by nearly $2 trillion. A recent report by the Congressional Research Service indicates that in its first year of passage, the tax law has had little impact on wage growth or business investment. 

I oppose the Tax Cuts and Jobs Act and will closely review provisions in any upcoming tax legislation designed to provide our middle class with substantial tax relief, enable businesses large and small to hire more workers, and increase employee compensation. Doing so is critical to ensure that our constituents feel secure and optimistic about their economic future.

Sincerely,
     Haley Stevens
     Member of Congress