Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

schreibs posted:

They denied me home insurance because I had made a claim on my renters insurance in the past when someone CUT a chain link fence AND the bike lock to steal my bike. "Too high risk" from that one apartment that I rented 2,000 miles away years ago. Seems legit.

Haha wow thats poop. Also I did just end up going with USAA just now. My current policy was really high I guess because of how old the house was but the new house we are buying it was actually cheaper than the Costco option (but to be fair we are bundled with Auto too).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you

tangy yet delightful posted:

Haha wow thats poop. Also I did just end up going with USAA just now. My current policy was really high I guess because of how old the house was but the new house we are buying it was actually cheaper than the Costco option (but to be fair we are bundled with Auto too).

I switched home and auto to Ameriprise through costco and saved $680/yr for identical coverage :homebrew:

Pershing
Feb 21, 2010

John "Black Jack" Pershing
Hard Fucking Core

Chinatown posted:

Just used my last trash bag. You know what that means.

You've killed again?

Mondian
Apr 24, 2007

It makes me sad, when I order my $1.50 all beef hotdog and drink (with refill) and see the tray under the onion grinder half full of onion. I know it's free, but how much effort does it really take to get it onto your food without spilling it all over? drat shame

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

tangy yet delightful posted:

Anyone have home insurance through Costco, Ameriprise Insurance? Considering going with them and like to hear goon opinions.

They also denied me because my house doesn't have a burglar alarm and any house over a certain dollar amount must have a burglar alarm (???).

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
My house has two fireplaces and they denied it as a significant fire risk.

Their auto insurance was also like $400 more than what I currently pay so gently caress them.

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe
Their website was broken and they didn’t call me back. False prophet.

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

We originally started saying "Praise be." Then someone added unto Costco.

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter
I went to make a tire appointment to swap my all season wheels with my winter wheels, but they are full up all week! I guess I'll just do it in the driveway like a common grease monkey .

JK Fresco
Jul 5, 2019

StormDrain posted:

I went to make a tire appointment to swap my all season wheels with my winter wheels, but they are full up all week! I guess I'll just do it in the driveway like a common grease monkey .

Im reporting you to the hoa

Whooping Crabs
Apr 13, 2010

Sorry for the derail but I fuckin love me some racoons

Crusty Nutsack posted:

what are the best desserts at costco? those three pie combo things are always tempting instead of one giant one.

The tuxedo cake is pretty good. The cheesecake is bad/bland, pumpkin pie is also bland. I haven't tried their sheet cakes, but they look pretty standard.
The chocolates of the world (sold between August-December) are good this year, as are the belgian fresh cream chocolates, and the chocolate liquor bottles.
I've mostly been disappointed over any pastries in the frozen case.

EAT FASTER!!!!!!
Sep 21, 2002

Legendary.

:hampants::hampants::hampants:
The pumpkin cheesecake is pretty good though! Just need to hit that sumnabitch with some whipped topping (available in bulk not two aisles away) and you're Gucci.

n8r
Jul 3, 2003

I helped Lowtax become a cyborg and all I got was this lousy avatar
Pumpkin pie is the perfect whip cream delivery device.

DNK
Sep 18, 2004

I had a flat tire and Costco repaired it for $10 total while I shopped. PBUC

I thought I’d need a brand new tire (and therefore several brand new tires).

graventy
Jul 28, 2006

Fun Shoe

Whooping Crabs posted:

The tuxedo cake is pretty good. The cheesecake is bad/bland, pumpkin pie is also bland. I haven't tried their sheet cakes, but they look pretty standard.
The chocolates of the world (sold between August-December) are good this year, as are the belgian fresh cream chocolates, and the chocolate liquor bottles.
I've mostly been disappointed over any pastries in the frozen case.

The sheet cakes are a pretty great moist cake and a hell of a deal for 19 bucks.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice
So, I bought a two-pack of wifi light switches and a box of dimmable light bulbs from Costco yesterday. Get home, remove the old light switch...turns out whoever wired my house forty years ago had a pretty slapdash approach to the whole affair. None of the wires are coloured, they’re stripped in the middle and wrapped around the screws and all kinds of dumb poo poo. So I brought the opened package of light switches and the bulbs back for a return today. FYI, Costco accepts “I have a stupid house” as a valid return reason.

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel
Does Costco have cottage cheese? I eat it a lot and usually get two 32oz (I think, the bigger one) and it'd be nice to go to the 'co and have them bless me with the food of the gods.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

Pennywise the Frown posted:

Does Costco have cottage cheese? I eat it a lot and usually get two 32oz (I think, the bigger one) and it'd be nice to go to the 'co and have them bless me with the food of the gods.

Yeah, I have 100% seen cottage cheese at Costco, right next to the sour cream. I’m in Quebec, though, so your Costco may vary.

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

Phylodox posted:

Yeah, I have 100% seen cottage cheese at Costco, right next to the sour cream. I’m in Quebec, though, so your Costco may vary.

:hai:

Awesome. thx

Trastion
Jul 24, 2003
The one and only.
Get an Instapot and make your own by buying Milk at Coscto...

extravadanza
Oct 19, 2007

IIRC it's 3 lbs of land o lakes cottage cheese for $5-$6. In Indiana, at least.

Renegret
May 26, 2007

THANK YOU FOR CALLING HELP DOG, INC.

YOUR POSITION IN THE QUEUE IS *pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt*

Cat Army Sworn Enemy
Do you know what day it is today?

Costco Hot dogs for dinner day!

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.

Phylodox posted:

So, I bought a two-pack of wifi light switches and a box of dimmable light bulbs from Costco yesterday. Get home, remove the old light switch...turns out whoever wired my house forty years ago had a pretty slapdash approach to the whole affair. None of the wires are coloured, they’re stripped in the middle and wrapped around the screws and all kinds of dumb poo poo. So I brought the opened package of light switches and the bulbs back for a return today. FYI, Costco accepts “I have a stupid house” as a valid return reason.

I had a similar issue, the wires were coloured but the box was so shallow the smart switch would stick out a good inch. Rather than replace the box (:effort:) I took the switches back no problem.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

Xaris posted:

I did the Beer Advent Calendar several years ago and wasn't really impressed. Also weirdly, most of the beer was expired (not that I think beer really expires but still). I don't think I even finished it and ended up giving most away at a party. If you're really a drinker that drinks at least one beer every day, alright yeah go for it, but it's more a weekend thing for me bc work sucks so it kinda loses a bit having to open 5 days on a friday and then just not finishing it. A fair amount of them were kinda meh. I think you're better off financially and taste-wise hitting up a BevMo or something and just grabbing a collection of different beers.

Beer definitely expires, the major ones being that UV light causes it to go skunky and eventually a slight amount of air can start to leak under the cap. It's not like as soon as the expiration date hits it's dead but if you have a bottle of beer sitting in your pantry that expired 5 years ago or something then yeah it's probably not going to taste great.

Keeping glass bottles in their case or in your fridge where it's shielded from UV light and nice and cool helps. Cans are probably a bit better but will probably eventually start to have their taste change too. Nothing is really 100% impermeable on a long enough timescale, I know soda flavor changes after a couple years in the can.

They had a Sierra Nevada variety pack a couple weeks ago that was a pretty good deal, if you like their oktoberfest and their pale ale then it was like getting the other two free. Kinda lost on the New Belgium one, I know I like Fat Tire decently enough but the dark ale and winter ales were a bit meh and Voodoo Ranger is a bit powerful for casual drinking. The Duvel variety pack is good, liked everything but the IPA, but probably won't repeat because $2 a bottle is pretty stiff.

I know they're pint cans and all but the advent calendar is $3 a can and that's really on the expensive side of what I'm willing to throw down on a beer that I don't know I'm going to like.

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

broke: going to a jewelry store and knowing what your ring size is
woke: buying three rings off costco.com and returning the two that dont fit

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe
so the packaged hard boiled eggs are a little lackluster. need salt+pepper or hot sauce to get any taste. I'm going to pickle most of them though.

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel
I always sprinkle salt or seasoned salt on my hard boiled eggs. In fact I don't eat any style of egg without salt unless it's an omelette or eggs benedict or something that provides other flavor.

I have some old eggs I should boil soon before they go bad. I've been curious about the pre-peeled eggs but can't justify buying them since it's so easy to do it yourself but :shrug:

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe
i loving hate peeling eggs so i gladly will pay a bit more. also them coming in 2-packs is nice just to grab in the morning to eat in the car or at work.

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT

Chinatown posted:

i loving hate peeling eggs so i gladly will pay a bit more. also them coming in 2-packs is nice just to grab in the morning to eat in the car or at work.

Fun fact, hard boiled eggs in the instant pot peel easy as hell.

Also boiling things at 10k feet is idiotic, instant pot makes hard boiled eggs a no brainier.

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Eggs in pot with water, no cover. Bring to rolling boil. Turn off heat and put cover on. Let sit for 8 minutes. Bam. Perfect hard boiled eggs.

Trastion
Jul 24, 2003
The one and only.

Moey posted:

Fun fact, hard boiled eggs in the instant pot peel easy as hell.

Also boiling things at 10k feet is idiotic, instant pot makes hard boiled eggs a no brainier.

I just did this on Sat. 1 cup water in bottom, trivet in with eggs on top. 5 min high pressure, 5 min natural release and then 5 min in ice bath. The shells almost fell off them they were so easy to peel.

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

DeadFatDuckFat posted:

Eggs in pot with water, no cover. Bring to rolling boil. Turn off heat and put cover on. Let sit for 8 minutes. Bam. Perfect hard boiled eggs.

:hmmyes:

I also heard to not use fresh eggs since they're harder to peel.

Tim Whatley
Mar 28, 2010

I get to go to the holy land tomorrow while playing hooky to stock up for a Halloween party at my home on Saturday. I have been excited for it all week (the Costco trip)

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

:hmmyes:

I also heard to not use fresh eggs since they're harder to peel.

That's true for boiling but irrelevant for a pressure cooker. It's like magic on the eggs, the shells peel real nice. It's honestly the only reason to pressure cook them since it takes exactly as long as regular boiling (below 6000 feet anyway).

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
If you want to do a lot of hard boiled eggs I like AB’s oven bake method!

https://altonbrown.com/baked-eggs/

They do have a really nice texture.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

Whole lotta posts ITT about how to ruin an egg. Hard yolks are gross, runny yolks for life. Poach all the eggs!

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT

Enos Cabell posted:

Whole lotta posts ITT about how to ruin an egg. Hard yolks are gross, runny yolks for life. Poach all the eggs!

You can soft boil easily in the IP too....

ShortyMR.CAT
Sep 25, 2008

:blastu::dogcited:
Lipstick Apathy
Ate a hard boiled egg this mornin! Cold eggs are gross. My hard boiled egg has to be fresh out DA POT! Otherwise I get queasy cuz cold eggs are super gross. Idk how people can buy a bag of pre-boiled eggs. :barf:

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

Moey posted:

You can soft boil easily in the IP too....

I've been experimenting with sous vide, but it's not really any quicker or easier than regular methods. I'll give the IP a shot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

crazysim
May 23, 2004
I AM SOOOOO GAY
I throw my eggs in some salted water in an instant pot on high pressure for 90 minutes. It browns them and it's quite something. I think some people call them Korean Sauna eggs.