Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mr.Radar
Nov 5, 2005

You guys aren't going to believe this, but that guy is our games teacher.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hAnGhgPeZMk

:yeshaha: Quinton Reviews is finally giving his long-teased take on To Boldly Flee. Premieres in two hours!

Mr.Radar fucked around with this message at 19:15 on Oct 24, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Solitair
Feb 18, 2014

TODAY'S GONNA BE A GOOD MOTHERFUCKIN' DAY!!!

Kim Justice posted:

Marty is a very relevant legend, one of the best to ever do it and certainly has a point of view that's intriguing. Much the same applies to Francis Ford Coppola although I'm not sure why no-one's countered his entry into the conversation (hah) with "you bloody made JACK you tit" yet, mind you. AND The Godfather Part III. AND you've sat on your arse in a vineyard for the past 20 years.

AND Apocalypse Now: Redux.

That Scanline about director's cuts posted:

Thankfully Apocalypse Now was good, so it didn't destroy Coppola's career, and he could go on to make more classic films like... um...

Seriously, though, the most salient comment I found on this whole affair mentions that there's a wide variety of films outside of the superhero grist mill and auteurs like Scorcese hyperfocusing on violent white men, but the discourse basically sweeps them under the rug. I wish I could find the tweet that pointed that out to me.

Neo_Crimson
Aug 15, 2011

"Is that your final dandy?"

Endorph posted:

Because his point is that only one kind of movie is being allowed to exist, flashy hollywood blockbusters. Which has always been an issue but Disney has exacerbated that problem tenfold.

Not to defend Disney, but this is hyperbolic as gently caress.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Yardbomb posted:

If you wanna do that, I'm a broke trans/nb millennial with diagnosed depression, anxiety and the bergers who's had to live around southern fundie christian family and I've now for years been suffering from a kidney problem that I just flat out don't have the money or options to probably ever get fully fixed, so am in near daily pain without a constant dose of painkillers, which I have to constantly go in and argue to keep getting because of medical bullshit and the healthcare system trying to treat me like a drug fiend because DA OPIOD CRIIIISIS when I just want to not wake up some days feeling like I ate some glass, except he's wrong and sounds like a dumbass old snob. Outta my face with the oppression olympics.

And hell, I'm not even a fan of the marvel movies, I thought like 2 of them were good, haven't bothered to watch most, I've just gotten sick of old rich shits playing authority, yes disney are the system too, they also suck, but while they're also trash, the point is more that old white people going N-NUH UH, I DON'T LIKE THAT, IT'S NOT ~ART~ are lame, gently caress em.

I didn't read a word of this but Scorsese is right and I'm glad you agree

Solitair
Feb 18, 2014

when are we going to get a cinematic universe based on honore de balzac's la comedie humaine

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Neo_Crimson posted:

Not to defend Disney, but this is hyperbolic as gently caress.

It’s not.

Equeen
Oct 29, 2011

Pole dance~

Mr.Radar posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hAnGhgPeZMk

:yeshaha: Quiton Reviews is finally giving his long-teased take on To Boldy Flee. Premiers in two hours!

I feel extremely embarrassed that I used to be a big Nostalgia Critic fan :negative:. Even back in 2012(?), I considered To Boldly Flee to be the worst out of the anniversary "movies".

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

Equeen posted:

I feel extremely embarrassed that I used to be a big Nostalgia Critic fan :negative:. Even back in 2012(?), I considered To Boldly Flee to be the worst out of the anniversary "movies".

Same though I dropped out of it before To Boldly Flee.

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

Solitair posted:

Seriously, though, the most salient comment I found on this whole affair mentions that there's a wide variety of films outside of the superhero grist mill and auteurs like Scorcese hyperfocusing on violent white men, but the discourse basically sweeps them under the rug. I wish I could find the tweet that pointed that out to me.

And those films are getting less and less available, because of Disney monopolizing screening space for their superhero grist mill.

https://twitter.com/thejoshl/status/1187065134432305153?s=19

Also "Scorsese only makes movies about violent white men" is a bizarre take that I keep hearing for some reason, like people think he's Troy Duffy or something.

Solitair
Feb 18, 2014

Equeen posted:

I remember rewatching Kickassia a bunch right after it came out. I can't remember if I did that with Suburban Knights, and I definitely didn't with To Boldy Flee.

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

Anyone spinning Scorcese's comments as "old man yells at cloud" either didn't actually read the interview or has sufficiently bad critical literacy that they shouldn't be talking qualitatively about anything, at all

Its a very softball comment by a respected artist about how he doesn't like superhero movies because they are so commercialized that it compromises any artistic venture they might engage in. It's an extremely salient and basic point and if you think it's "eyerolly" then you need to learn how to not be so defensive about the things you like, because he's absolutely right about them not being cinema, and that's not even a bad thing.

I Before E posted:

Also "Scorsese only makes movies about violent white men" is a bizarre take that I keep hearing for some reason, like people think he's Troy Duffy or something.

Its because most of the people saying that have never watched a Scorcese movie and think the only things he ever directed are Goodfellas and Taxi Driver.

Babysitter Super Sleuth fucked around with this message at 18:36 on Oct 24, 2019

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

But what even is cinema. That’s my real problem with his comment. Who gets to decide?

Like the MCU movies are fun rides but two of them have actually moved me a whole lot, and if that isn’t cinema what cinema can do, then I don’t know what the poo poo counts as cinema.

I’m stuck in between because I disagree with the “it’s not cinema” thing but in the lightest way, but also love Scorsese because he’s the best of all time and think that there needs to be more stuff than just blockbusters in the theaters

Koalas March
May 21, 2007

I guess Just Mercy isn't being released then? And Marriage Story and The Last Black Man In San Francisco don't exist either. Despite winning a bunch of awards yesterday lol

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

I Before E posted:

And those films are getting less and less available, because of Disney monopolizing screening space for their superhero grist mill.

https://twitter.com/thejoshl/status/1187065134432305153?s=19

ehh. outside the comment your responding to and a dumb gently caress critic on twitter. no one has really made that take. i like scorsese but i legit can't watch some of his films like wolf of wall street because i legit find those characters disgusting monsters and he shows them in such a genuinly realistic way that i can't help but be pissed. i am not saying he romantazises them, he very clearly doesnt but because they are based on real people. very few of them face any real justice, its why i love the departed. personally i don't really disagree that much with what he said.

Dapper_Swindler fucked around with this message at 18:43 on Oct 24, 2019

rudecyrus
Nov 6, 2009

fuck you trolls
Disney is loving bad, Martin Scorsese is right in that they're not designed to be art but wrong in that they can't convey emotional experiences, Coppola is an old man yelling at clouds,, derail over.

A video for spider lovers.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

rudecyrus posted:

Disney is loving bad, Martin Scorsese is right in that they're not designed to be art but wrong in that they can't convey emotional experiences, Coppola is an old man yelling at clouds,, derail over.

A video for spider lovers.

exactly. also clint is awsome and i want a jumping spider.

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

BENGHAZI 2 posted:

I didn't read a word of this but Scorsese is right and I'm glad you agree

Nah

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Koalas March posted:

I guess Just Mercy isn't being released then? And Marriage Story and The Last Black Man In San Francisco don't exist either. Despite winning a bunch of awards yesterday lol

Last Black Man in San Francisco is done by A24 who’s one of the best film studios because they push smaller films into the mainstream theaters as hard as they can.

Not every independent film is that lucky. Most are just shoved into VOD and never see a theatrical release at all.

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

Of the auteurs who have been asked about marvel movies, Almodóvar and Loach are the most correct, but I will not begrudge Scorsese for offhandedly talking poo poo.

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

Babysitter Super Sleuth posted:

It's an extremely salient and basic point and if you think it's "eyerolly" then you need to learn how to not be so defensive about the things you like

I don't like them and it's incredibly eyerolly because ~cinema~ defining most of the time just blends into the same old poo poo of "Mine is in the special boy's club"

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

Yardbomb posted:

I don't like them and it's incredibly eyerolly because ~cinema~ defining most of the time just blends into the same old poo poo of "Mine is in the special boy's club"

Watch more movies

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

Watched plenty, not many of them being giant quadrillion dollar blockbusters, don't know how that's supposed to change my mind on the transparent haughtiness behind 'But is it cinema' that it so often has.

Kim Justice
Jan 29, 2007

Who even cares whether something is cinema or not

It's not the loving Crips and Bloods

There's good and bad in both. Not Cinema isn't negative, just different

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

The real way to answer this is to ask Scorsese if the Godzilla movies are cinema. If he says yes, there must be a distinction to be drawn that doesn't unilaterally exclude genre films as a bloc. If he says no, his opinion is forfeit because he doesn't respect Godzilla.

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

Maybe Ill go see a movie tomorrow, here are my choices, any suggestions between them?

Maleficent: Mistress of Evil
Zombieland: Double Tap
Bigil
The Addams Family
Black and Blue
Countdown
The Current War: Director's Cut
Gemini Man
Abominable
Scary Stories to Tell in the Dark
Once Upon a Time...in Hollywood - Extended Cut
Jexi
Rambo: Last Blood
Hustlers
IT Chapter Two

Neo_Crimson
Aug 15, 2011

Yardbomb posted:

Yeah this. Making a distinction between "movies" and "cinema", or "low art" and "high art" at all is little more than an classist exercise.

Koalas March
May 21, 2007

Control Volume posted:

Maybe Ill go see a movie tomorrow, here are my choices, any suggestions between them?

Bigil
The Addams Family
Black and Blue
Countdown
Gemini Man
Abominable
Jexi
Hustlers
IT Chapter Two

Hustlers obviously???

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

I Before E posted:

The real way to answer this is to ask Scorsese if the Godzilla movies are cinema. If he says yes, there must be a distinction to be drawn that doesn't unilaterally exclude genre films as a bloc. If he says no, his opinion is forfeit because he doesn't respect Godzilla.

He broke down what he means by cinema pretty clearly in that interview, and it certainly wasn't "no genre films ever".

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

Kim Justice posted:

It's not the loving Crips and Bloods

Just you wait, we're coming up with the hand signs tomorrow.

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

Control Volume posted:

Bigil
The Addams Family
Black and Blue
Countdown
Gemini Man
Abominable
Jexi
Hustlers
IT Chapter Two

gently caress Scary Stories to Tell in the Dark, marry The Addams Family, kill IT chapter two

Neo_Crimson posted:

Yeah this. Making a distinction between "movies" and "cinema", or "low art" and "high art" at all is little more than an classist exercise.

See this is the problem, you're treating it as a qualitative hierarchy when it's not, it's a distinction of intent, effect, and content. "Not being cinema" is not why the MCU is bad

Babysitter Super Sleuth fucked around with this message at 19:10 on Oct 24, 2019

Kim Justice
Jan 29, 2007

I Before E posted:

I was curious enough to Google and he wrote the foreword to a recent biography of Ishiro Honda, so I reckon he likes them.

From my understanding Scorsese may have said that MCU movies are like theme parks, but he didn't then say he doesn't like theme parks. Ken Loach compared them to McDonalds.

Kim Justice
Jan 29, 2007

Control Volume posted:

Bigil
The Addams Family
Black and Blue
Countdown
Gemini Man
Abominable
Jexi
Hustlers
IT Chapter Two

Rambo, duh. When in doubt, go for the thing where other things get shot at.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

gently caress Scary Stories to Tell in the Dark, marry The Addams Family, kill IT chapter two

See this is the problem, you're treating it as a qualitative hierarchy when it's not, it's a distinction of intent, effect, and content. "Not being cinema" is not why the MCU is bad

It Chapter 2 is better than Scary Stories in p much every way

Kim Justice
Jan 29, 2007

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S6r_s1ugKgE

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

CelticPredator posted:

It Chapter 2 is better than Scary Stories in p much every way

IT chapter two is a third act that lasts nine hours where nothing loving happens, Scary Stories has reasonably good child actors and a sweet, coherent, and self-contained narrative

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

Also I forgot that there was a Addams Family movie coming out and thought you meant the Raul Julia one in a repertory screening, so I amend to say marry Hustlers instead

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

Srice posted:

He broke down what he means by cinema pretty clearly in that interview, and it certainly wasn't "no genre films ever".

Please don't step on my joke about respecting Godzilla

Kim Justice
Jan 29, 2007

Another bloody Addams Family movie. Next thing you know they'll remake Raul Julia's greatest work, which is of course Street Fighter

Neo_Crimson
Aug 15, 2011

Having a distinction at all, especially when you call it "cinema" or "high art" is making it a qualitative hierarchy. It's incredibly disengenuous to say otherwise.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Clearly you've never watched the cinematic masterpiece known as Street Fighter: The Legend of Chun Li.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=44KCLF9_K-0
New Mandalore.

Arc Hammer fucked around with this message at 19:24 on Oct 24, 2019