Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

Think of the good things, Pim! The good things!

Like Jesus, candy, and crackerjacks! Ice cream and cake and lots o'laffs!
Grandma, Grandpa, and Uncle Joe! Larry, Curly, and brother Moe!
not mine lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!

Barry Convex posted:

not mine lol

Interesting that you could inject arsenic into my veins over HTTP

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

Last Temptation of Christ as "crime flick" has to be a joke right

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

if you order the movies from Best Selling to Worst Selling from 2015 to 2018 it's p much the whole thing lol. blade runner 2049 sold worse than the Peanuts Movie and Alvin Chipmunks 3D Reboot #324201

quote:

1. Star Wars Ep. VII: The Force Awakens
2. Avengers: Infinity War
3. Jurassic World
4. Furious 7
5. Avengers: Age of Ultron
6. Black Panther
7. Star Wars Ep. VIII: The Last Jedi
8. Jurassic World: Fallen Kingdom
9. Beauty and the Beast
10. The Fate of the Furious
11. Incredibles 2
12. Minions
13. Captain America: Civil War
14. Aquaman
15. Rogue One: A Star Wars Story
16. Finding Dory
17. Zootopia
18. Despicable Me 3
19. The Jungle Book
20. Jumanji: Welcome to the Jungle
21. Spectre
22. The Secret Life of Pets
23. Inside Out
24. Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice
25. Spider-Man: Homecoming
26. Bohemian Rhapsody
27. Guardians of the Galaxy Vol 2
28. Thor: Ragnarok
29. Venom
30. Wonder Woman
31. Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them
32. Deadpool
33. Coco
34. Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Men Tell No Tales
35. Mission: Impossible—Fallout
36. Deadpool 2
37. Suicide Squad
38. Mission: Impossible—Rogue Nation
39. It
40. Doctor Strange
41. The Martian
42. The Hunger Games: Mockingjay - Part 2
43. Justice League
44. Moana
45. Sing
46. Fantastic Beasts: The Crimes of Grindelwald
47. Logan
48. Ant-Man and the Wasp
49. Transformers: The Last Knight
50. Fifty Shades of Grey
51. Ready Player One
52. Mei Ren Yu
53. Kong: Skull Island
54. Cinderella
55. The Revenant
56. X-Men: Apocalypse
57. Ant-Man
58. Kung Fu Panda 3
59. The Meg
60. Hotel Transylvania 3: Summer Vacation
61. Ralph Breaks The Internet
62. The Boss Baby
63. Dr. Seuss’ The Grinch
64. Dunkirk
65. War for the Planet of the Apes
66. Hotel Transylvania 2
67. San Andreas
68. Bumblebee
69. Terminator: Genisys
70. Warcraft
71. A Star is Born
72. Jason Bourne
73. Rampage
74. Kingsman: The Secret Service
75. The Mummy
76. Ice Age: Collision Course
77. Kingsman: The Golden Circle
78. Home
79. Independence Day: Resurgence
80. The Greatest Showman
81. Solo: A Star Wars Story
82. Mad Max: Fury Road
83. Cars 3
84. Fifty Shades Darker
85. Zhuo yao ji
86. Spider-Man: Into The Spider-Verse 3D
87. Fifty Shades Freed
88. The Angry Birds Movie
89. The Nun
90. The Legend of Tarzan
91. Trolls
92. The Good Dinosaur
93. Murder on the Orient Express
94. xXx: Return of Xander Cage
95. Star Trek Beyond
96. Peter Rabbit
97. The Great Wall
98. Taken 3
99. Now You See Me 2
100. Mary Poppins Returns
101. The SpongeBob Movie: Sponge Out of Water
102. Maze Runner: The Scorch Trials
103. Resident Evil: The Final Chapter
104. The Conjuring 2: The Enfield Poltergeist
105. Green Book
106. The Lego Batman Movie
107. Passengers
108. The Divergent Series: Insurgent
109. Miss Peregrine’s Home for Peculiar Children
110. Skyscraper
111. Pitch Perfect 2
112. Ocean’s 8
113. Ferdinand
114. Pacific Rim: Uprising
115. Alice Through the Looking Glass
116. Tomb Raider
117. Baahubali 2: The Conclusion
118. Maze Runner: The Death Cure
119. The Peanuts Movie
120. Blade Runner 2049
121. Alvin and the Chipmunks: The Road Chip
122. Pixels

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

If you exclude kids movies, remakes, and series, rhe first original movie in there is The Martian at 41

A Gnarlacious Bro
Apr 25, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Peanut President posted:

weird that the company that owns half of hollywood makes a lot of money, it's like capitalism rewards the large and punishes the small ?

It's all worth it to see my childhood role models on the big screen, inspiring another generation of people to go out and do good in the world.

A Gnarlacious Bro
Apr 25, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Blade Runner 2049 was BAD sorry to say

A Gnarlacious Bro
Apr 25, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Barry Convex posted:

not mine lol

lol

Giga Gaia
May 2, 2006

360 kickflip to... Meteo?!

Xaris posted:

if you order the movies from Best Selling to Worst Selling from 2015 to 2018 it's p much the whole thing lol. blade runner 2049 sold worse than the Peanuts Movie and Alvin Chipmunks 3D Reboot #324201

A Gnarlacious Bro
Apr 25, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Surreal avant-garde experimental film

Freaking Crumbum
Apr 17, 2003

Too fuck to drunk

i agree, 90 minutes should be the maximum legal run-time for any feature film

Okuteru
Nov 10, 2007

Choose this life you're on your own

Barry Convex posted:

not mine lol

I want to show whoever made this pic Heaven and Earth Magic or Kuso. That's true Avant Garde.

A Gnarlacious Bro posted:

It's all worth it to see my childhood role models on the big screen, inspiring another generation of people to go out and do good in the world.

Love me, I'm a liberal.

Watching Isle of Dogs and I'm enjoying it. I remember when there was a small controversy with this film when Wes Anderson was accused of being a "White Savior" and culturally appropriating Japanese culture. Whatever, the way they use actual translators to translate Japanese to English is novel.

Dr. Killjoy
Oct 9, 2012

:thunk::mason::brainworms::tinfoil::thunkher:
well, too bad, because making the choice of not subtitling the Japanese dialogue into English is racist!

commonality of man and context bypassing language barriers, what the gently caress is that poo poo?!

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

Think of the good things, Pim! The good things!

Like Jesus, candy, and crackerjacks! Ice cream and cake and lots o'laffs!
Grandma, Grandpa, and Uncle Joe! Larry, Curly, and brother Moe!

StashAugustine posted:

probably but you never know with MCU superfans

mysterious frankie
Jan 11, 2009

This displeases Dev- ..van. Shut up.

22 Eargesplitten posted:

What did he even do? Get drunk and threaten to kill himself? That seems kind of tame to ruin a career, even if it would get you banned from SA. I was expecting sex pest.

Then again, it's Disney.

I had no idea he was an actual suicidal drunk. Last thing I heard about him was that he had a personal him-centric social media platform that got trolled out of existence.

redneck nazgul
Apr 25, 2013

StashAugustine posted:

crimes are committed, a man is sentenced to death, checks out

Dr. Killjoy
Oct 9, 2012

mysterious frankie posted:

I had no idea he was an actual suicidal drunk. Last thing I heard about him was that he had a personal him-centric social media platform that got trolled out of existence.

domestic abuser whose ex (or soon to be I’m not sure) alleges he brought in prostitutes/sexslaves pf dubious age and a lot of weirdness involving him utilizing his kid daughter’s name as the username of his private Snapchat as well as on a monogrammed bathrobe he’d make chicks wear

mysterious frankie
Jan 11, 2009

Dr. Killjoy posted:

domestic abuser whose ex (or soon to be I’m not sure) alleges he brought in prostitutes/sexslaves pf dubious age and a lot of weirdness involving him utilizing his kid daughter’s name as the username of his private Snapchat as well as on a monogrammed bathrobe he’d make chicks wear

I... see

Are there any mega successful people that aren’t comically evil? Like, every day I get a little closer to just being a paranoid conspiracy theorist and I hope that I don’t end up being one of the racist ones.

Percelus
Sep 9, 2012

My command, your wish is

renner was having sex and doing blow with minors

Dr. Killjoy
Oct 9, 2012

I... see

Are there any mega successful people that aren’t comically evil? Like, every day I get a little closer to just being a paranoid conspiracy theorist and I hope that I don’t end up being one of the racist ones.

just get racist against Italian and Irish Americans and you’ll be in the clear

mysterious frankie
Jan 11, 2009

Dr. Killjoy posted:

just get racist against Italian and Irish Americans and you’ll be in the clear

I figure you don’t get to choose and it’s like a Pokémon style evolution

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!

StashAugustine posted:

If you exclude kids movies, remakes, and series, rhe first original movie in there is The Martian at 41

The USA isn't a dead culture. It's an undead culture, a grotesque Frankenstein's monster made from the corpses of past culture

Dr. Killjoy
Oct 9, 2012

I figure you don’t get to choose and it’s like a Pokémon style evolution

Pokémons often have diverging evolutions!

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

ikanreed posted:

The USA isn't a dead culture. It's an undead culture, a grotesque Frankenstein's monster made from the corpses of past culture

Yeah the martian's dialogue is also like 30% nerd pop culture references

Serf
May 5, 2011

LMAO

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Percelus posted:

renner was having sex and doing blow with minors

he can team up with Rob Lowe and form the Pedo Cinematic Universe

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

syq dude, just syq!

StashAugustine posted:

Yeah the martian's dialogue is also like 30% nerd pop culture references

So's the Lion King, but it was okay

mysterious frankie
Jan 11, 2009

Dr. Killjoy posted:

Pokémons often have diverging evolutions!

I did one of those genetic tests, because I’m white so of course I did, and it said the spiciest my genes get is the 15% Swedish that snuck in there. Everything else is British and German and considering that most of Western Europe can only exhibit tolerance in the most facile, self congratulating ways up until the moment a minority causes any sort of stir in their culture, at which point they run straight to the nearest fascist while shouting “well at least we’re not fat!” over their shoulder in the direction of America, my hopes aren’t high.

Hell, the fact that I’ve invented a new Japanese media based race science to figure out what sort of conspiracy theorist I would become isn’t heartening either.

KiteAuraan
Aug 5, 2014

JER GEDDA FERDA RADDA ARA!

A Gnarlacious Bro posted:

But the Dragon Ball movie sucked and everyone hated it though, and Fist of the North Star hasn't had a live action movie in like, 25 years.

KomradeX
Oct 29, 2011

Considering the dreadful state of media and Scorsese's and Coppola's arguments had got me thinking over the past 19 years, are they're any movies, maybe besides the first Matrix , head there been, I guess iconic? Maybe I'm just out of touch

LGD
Sep 25, 2004

KomradeX posted:

Considering the dreadful state of media and Scorsese's and Coppola's arguments had got me thinking over the past 19 years, are they're any movies, maybe besides the first Matrix , head there been, I guess iconic? Maybe I'm just out of touch

LGD
Sep 25, 2004

more seriously it's pretty much impossible to tell what will stand the test of time and what won't - it's obvious some stuff will age badly, but there are also things that take quite a lot of time to catch on and well-crafted works that seem like they'll stand the test of time but whose appeal turns out to be more temporally limited

plus "iconic" is pretty nebulous and subjective to begin with - are we talking about films that are deemed classics/important by aficionados and/or films that have long-lasting and outsized cultural penetration/influence?

(the problems with the former are fairly obvious, and the later definition may imply Idiocracy is "iconic")

LGD has issued a correction as of 20:21 on Oct 24, 2019

KomradeX
Oct 29, 2011

LGD posted:

more seriously it's pretty much impossible to tell what will stand the test of time and what won't - it's obvious some stuff will age badly, but there are also things that take quite a lot of time to catch on and well-crafted works that seem like they'll stand the test of time but whose appeal turns out to be more temporally limited

plus "iconic" is pretty nebulous and subjective to begin with - are we talking about films that are deemed classics/important by aficionados and/or films that have long-lasting and outsized cultural penetration/influence?

(the problems with the former are fairly obvious, and the later definition may imply Idiocracy is "iconic")

That's true, though I guess I think what are the shared cultural touchstones. Like I'm pretty sure i knew the basic plot of things like Star Wars or Raiders of the Lost, or at least three big scenes from them long before seeing the movies as a kid thanks to pop culture, or even things like knowing Rosebud is the sled.

I guess by that Idiocracy is "iconic" even UF the message is completely steeped im eugenics and liberal classism

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

StashAugustine posted:

they called doctor strange a surrela experimental film

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

BENGHAZI 2 posted:

I'm the movies? gently caress no

Yeah, I literally don't remember any plot importance he's had. Like I imagine at some point he shot a villain with an arrow but like, gently caress if I actually know.

Tho confession time, I haven't watched every avengers so maybe he did some real poo poo in civil war

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

mandatory lesbian posted:

Yeah, I literally don't remember any plot importance he's had. Like I imagine at some point he shot a villain with an arrow but like, gently caress if I actually know.

Tho confession time, I haven't watched every avengers so maybe he did some real poo poo in civil war

nah hawkeye in the mvoies could be interesting but it would require the movies themselves to be interesting

like hawkeye is a neat character to explore because he's the only one on the avengers who's just a dude. like, he has no superpowers, no suit of armor, he's just really loving good with a primitive weapon, and he's good enough that he hangs with thor and cap and iron man

in the movies tho

who cares

KiteAuraan
Aug 5, 2014

JER GEDDA FERDA RADDA ARA!

KomradeX posted:

I would argue The Lord of the Rings trilogy. Maybe the first few Harry Potter films.

Non-adaptations that have seeped more broadly into shared American culture though? Maybe, I dunno, Shrek or something?

KiteAuraan has issued a correction as of 20:50 on Oct 24, 2019

Bro Dad
Mar 26, 2010

Modern Hawkeye in the comics is actually good because he's just the hosed up alcoholic team coach for better, younger superheroes

They don't even call him Hawkeye (as there's a better one) anymore, just Hawkguy

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Bro Dad posted:

Modern Hawkeye in the comics is actually good because he's just the hosed up alcoholic team coach for better, younger superheroes

They don't even call him Hawkeye (as there's a better one) anymore, just Hawkguy

i was vaguely interested in the hawkeye tv show because it was explicitly going to be about him and the good hawkeye

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

BENGHAZI 2 posted:

nah hawkeye in the mvoies could be interesting but it would require the movies themselves to be interesting

like hawkeye is a neat character to explore because he's the only one on the avengers who's just a dude. like, he has no superpowers, no suit of armor, he's just really loving good with a primitive weapon, and he's good enough that he hangs with thor and cap and iron man

in the movies tho

who cares

Hawkeye should have been like mcguyver as an Archer or something. Not even joking I think it'd be interesting if he had been not like a genius or anything but more like quick on his feet thinking of a plan. Just, he needs something in addition to the archery, that can't define him.