Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Control Volume posted:

Maybe Ill go see a movie tomorrow, here are my choices, any suggestions between them?

Maleficent: Mistress of Evil
Zombieland: Double Tap
Bigil
The Addams Family
Black and Blue
Countdown
The Current War: Director's Cut
Gemini Man
Abominable
Scary Stories to Tell in the Dark
Once Upon a Time...in Hollywood - Extended Cut
Jexi
Rambo: Last Blood
Hustlers
IT Chapter Two

i liked once upon a time. i didnt know about an extended cut. the current war sounds interesting.

Kim Justice posted:

Another bloody Addams Family movie. Next thing you know they'll remake Raul Julia's greatest work, which is of course Street Fighter

i mean, there have been a bunch of different adams family shows and poo poo. this one is just an animated movie that i heard was ok.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ryuga Death
May 14, 2008

There's gotta be one more bell to crack
Fun Shoe
Stop Skeletons From Fighting released a video today about the silly and ridiculous Dreamcast accessories!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s_qxOR-QR0E

I've also been enjoying this channel that goes through Virtual Boy, NES, SNES, and Game Boy games (probably more that I missed).

Here's one I recommend, a thorough look of VB's Jack Bros!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EUl0VbjZWWY

Kim Justice
Jan 29, 2007

Neo_Crimson posted:

Having a distinction at all, especially when you call it "cinema" or "high art" is making it a qualitative hierarchy. It's incredibly disengenuous to say otherwise.

High art and cinema can be as poo poo as the lousiest blockbuster. Or worse. And it's all in the eye of the beholder anyway. Someone might try to convince you that their installation piece of Donald Trump's face that's made entirely out of their own faeces is high art even when it's clearly a load of bollocks that also stinks.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hVcjeAByzaQ

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

Street Fighter may be a great hammy movie, but it'll never be able to overtake the love that I have for the first Mortal Kombat movie, which also gave us an amazingly cheesy MK-themed album by Praga Khan.

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

Neo_Crimson posted:

Having a distinction at all, especially when you call it "cinema" or "high art" is making it a qualitative hierarchy. It's incredibly disengenuous to say otherwise.

You're the one saying high art, you're bringing your own baggage to the subject.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
superhero movies all suck

yes, including that one. yes, that one too!

Bonaventure
Jun 23, 2005

by sebmojo
the only good super-hero movie is the parts of Batman Returns where Danny Devito covers the screen in furious sexual hostility

Solar Tornado
Aug 9, 2016

A true fool keeps on fighting, even when there is no more glory to be gained

Oxxidation posted:

Is Jesus a superhero?

Is Jesus Christ Superstar a hero-flick?

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

we are missing the most important question here: are superhero movies isekai

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010

I Before E posted:

Please don't step on my joke about respecting Godzilla

Uh, Godzilla is extremely worthy of respect :colbert:

Also, come on, Scorsese doesn't even say that MCU movies aren't Cinema. He says they aren't "cinema of human beings trying to convey emotional, psychological experiences to another human being.”!
Which is objectively correct! The vast majority of MCU movies are carnival products

stillvisions
Oct 15, 2014

I really should have come up with something better before spending five bucks on this.

Solar Tornado posted:

Is Jesus a superhero?

Is Jesus Christ Superstar a hero-flick?

Jesus Christ: Vampire Hunter most certainly was.

Yardbomb posted:

I mean

“It isn’t the cinema of human beings trying to convey emotional, psychological experiences to another human being.” Scorsese was asked to offer his opinion again, and he doubled and tripled down. “It’s not cinema. It’s something else, we shouldn’t be invaded by it,” he later explained of the superhero-movie subgenre. “We need cinemas to step up and show films that are narrative films. Theaters have become amusement parks. That is all fine and good but don’t invade everything else in that sense,” the director said.”

Sounds incredibly eye rolly.

Not really. We give blockbuster MCU movies passes on lots of elements because they're big tentpole action movies, not art-house movies (or even your standard mid-budget non-action movies). If a critic reviewed Avengers Endgame like A Ghost Story (or vice-versa) we'd roll our eyes and accuse them of Armond White-level trolling. Marvel has nearly perfected the craft of this action blockbuster, at least for the current audience tastes; in 20 years these movies will be remembered for their cultural and financial impact more than any contributions to cinema.

And there's nothing wrong with either, just that we're using the same language and space for incredibly different things. This doesn't mean that all superhero movies are like that, but for the 95% that are we're judging them on craft more than art; do they follow the basic action superhero template and pacing to be enjoyable to the viewer.

I would have preferred his remarks to be how these movies are suffocating other films from being financed, made and showcased, over their status as "cinema", but it's an important conversation.

Solitair
Feb 18, 2014

TODAY'S GONNA BE A GOOD MOTHERFUCKIN' DAY!!!

Oxxidation posted:

you and i both know that legosi is the only real superhero

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Mother's Basement got struck with another copyright strike and might die soon because YouTube is loving broken.

poparena
Oct 31, 2012

Mr.Radar posted:

Hey poparena, Mr. Enter is trying to steal your shtick :v::

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tOFb3ih6Pno

(TBH I'm curious to see how this goes.)

I look forward to them doing less work and getting more views.

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010
does legend of galactic heroes count as a superhero anime

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
No it counts as best anime. (Not really but it's still very good space opera)

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Oxxidation posted:

Oh I know, but I still cried when the Iron Giant flew into the missile regardless.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe
Quinton's Review of To Boldly Flee has turned into....something.

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

KNEEL BEFORE THE WICKED KING!
New Wheel of the Worst!

Most of the stuff they end up watching are... garbage music videos. Kind of. A new theme, fitting the Hallowe'en season.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

stillvisions posted:

Jesus Christ: Vampire Hunter most certainly was.

Not really. We give blockbuster MCU movies passes on lots of elements because they're big tentpole action movies, not art-house movies (or even your standard mid-budget non-action movies). If a critic reviewed Avengers Endgame like A Ghost Story (or vice-versa) we'd roll our eyes and accuse them of Armond White-level trolling. Marvel has nearly perfected the craft of this action blockbuster, at least for the current audience tastes; in 20 years these movies will be remembered for their cultural and financial impact more than any contributions to cinema.

And there's nothing wrong with either, just that we're using the same language and space for incredibly different things. This doesn't mean that all superhero movies are like that, but for the 95% that are we're judging them on craft more than art; do they follow the basic action superhero template and pacing to be enjoyable to the viewer.

I would have preferred his remarks to be how these movies are suffocating other films from being financed, made and showcased, over their status as "cinema", but it's an important conversation.

yea if the end result of this convo was 'we should judge Marvel and other big blockbuster popcorn flicks on the same standard as we judge other movies' I'd respect it a lot more but none of these MovieBob types on Twitter getting upset over this want to sit down and actually listen to critiques of, say, the storytelling in Endgame which is dogshit, or the characterization in Captain America which can be boiled down to 'the lead guy, his girl, and a whole bunch of meat to be fed into the War Movie Machine' or whatever.

That's how the system works, we accept that these big tentpole action franchises are dumb and not always well written but that's fine because they're cool to watch and sometimes have a genuinely good scene that makes you go 'yea ok that was good poo poo' and Marvel has turned getting those scenes into a science. That's fine, I LIKE Marvel movies, I like going to a theater with friends, just kinda relaxing and watching pretty colors and quippy hunks do flips. There's nothing BAD there, there's nothing 'low class', it's just different, and that's all that's being said.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
Hey speaking of Disney stifling others' work

https://www.vulture.com/2019/10/disney-is-quietly-placing-classic-fox-movies-into-its-vault.html

quote:

Joe Neff knew there was trouble when the horror films started vanishing.

Neff is the director of the 24-Hour Science Fiction and Horror Marathons that happen every spring and fall at the Drexel Theater, an independent venue in Columbus, Ohio. For this year’s Horror Marathon, Neff wanted to screen the original 1976 version of The Omen and the 1986 remake of The Fly, two of hundreds of older 20th Century Fox features that became the property of the Walt Disney Corporation after its $7.3 billion purchase of the studio’s parent company, 21st Century Fox, was made official this past spring. In the preceding few months, Neff had heard rumblings in his Google group of film programmers that Disney was about to start treating older Fox titles as they do older Disney titles — making them mostly unavailable to for-profit theaters. More and more film programmers and theater managers were reporting that they had suddenly and cryptically been told by their studio contacts that Fox’s back catalogue was no longer available to show. Some got calls informing them that an existing booking had been revoked.

When Neff’s requests to screen The Fly and The Omen were denied — via the Drexel, which handles the logistics of booking a programmer’s requested titles — he realized the rumors were true, and that he had to stop screening Fox films altogether. It was a devastating blow: Neff’s homegrown repertory festivals have shown many older Fox movies, including Beneath the Planet of the Apes, Zardoz, the original versions of The Day the Earth Stood Still and Suspiria, and Phantom of the Paradise. He asked the theater to double-check with Disney to make sure there hadn’t been some mistake. “Our Fox booking contact offered a very brief apology that she could no longer book repertory titles with the theater,” he says.

Sadly, Neff’s experience is indicative of a recent trend across North America, where it’s sometimes hard to tell exactly what Disney’s new policy regarding back-catalogue films is, beyond generally making it more difficult to show classic 20th Century Fox movies in theaters. The Transit Drive-In in Lockport, New York, which has hosted packed screenings of older Fox films like Alien, Aliens, Say Anything, The Princess Bride, and Moulin Rouge, says those films and others can no longer be screened there. The Little Theater in Rochester booked Fox’s Fight Club for August and was told by a Disney spokesperson mere days before the scheduled screening that a Digital Cinema Package (DCP) of the movie would no longer be shipped; then a Disney representative called the theater to apologize for the misunderstanding, and assured management that the film was still on its way; the reversal happened a day after a Los Angeles Times reporter called Disney asking them to clarify their repertory policies.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

poparena posted:

I look forward to them doing less work and getting more views.

If it helps, the Star Trek episode was really good.

It was funny seeing Leonard Nimoy essentially saying the needs of the many did not outweigh the needs of the few. (Although maybe the one, poor Walter.) Props for the 'and that precedent was Abraham Lincoln' joke.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

But it was worth it so Disney can make X-Men movies in the MCU, right?

Right?

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Arcsquad12 posted:

But it was worth it so Disney can make X-Men movies in the MCU, right?

Right?

now in the next Avengers Ultrafuckfest Part 3: Rise Of Fuckotron they can open a portal and have Ice Man come out and we can have a month of people saying "THE GAY REPRESENTATION IN AVENGERS WAS EVERYTHING!!!!!!"

watho
Aug 2, 2013

The real world will, again tomorrow, function and run without me.

the quinton to boldy flee video is the true definition of cinema

Baka-nin
Jan 25, 2015

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oHb_c0-XajU

Well that didn't take long :smaug:

watho
Aug 2, 2013

The real world will, again tomorrow, function and run without me.

wait a loving second the singer of slipknot appeared in the nostalgia critic the wall parody?

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

I'm just trying to go through life without looking stupid.

It's not working out too well...

Yardbomb posted:

“People who are upset by Scorsese’s comments should ask themselves why they’re so upset by them, and whether their response, in its own way, proves his point.”

I'm "upset" because it just sounds like yet more moneyed boomer snob poo poo and I've had enough of that for a lifetime in my already young age, so no.

For what it's worth, I saw something on how Scorsese or Coppola (I forget which) was actually pretty keen on Into the Spiderverse, and I would chalk that up more to Into the Spiderverse (which I've not actually seen) not being tied to the MCU, and having the freedom or flexibility to be more creative.

EDIT: It was Coppola.

Comic Book Resource | Francis Ford Coppola Has A Surprising Opinion of Into the Spider-Verse posted:

Despite recently calling Marvel Studios movies "despicable," acclaimed director Francis Ford Coppola actually enjoyed 2018's animated feature Spider-Man: Into the Spider-Verse, according to one of the film's directors.

"Actually, Francis HAS seen it and was very complimentary and really appreciated the innovation and animated performances," co-director Peter Ramsey said in response to a Twitter post suggesting Coppola would enjoy Into the Spider-Verse. "So, not everything is so cut and dried."

Max Wilco fucked around with this message at 01:35 on Oct 25, 2019

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

CYBEReris posted:

we are missing the most important question here: are superhero movies isekai

Doctor Strange and Spiderman: Far From Home are. The others havenonly the normal dimension/universe :pseudo:.

Dovi
Feb 21, 2013

watho posted:

wait a loving second the singer of slipknot appeared in the nostalgia critic the wall parody?

With his son which makes it seem like the sons a fan and slipknot dude just did it for his kid

Baka-nin
Jan 25, 2015

watho posted:

Yes, also his son.

Edit: Beaten like Doug Walkers The Wall album rating. :hotpickle:

Edit edit:

Since we're on the subject a friend of mine nearly managed to finish the video by watching it in stages over three days. I checked out after five minutes, and he was telling me about how there's an advert for an album you can purchase of his parodies of The Wall, and he describes as a "Love letter" to The Wall. Oh and there's a bit that seems to address the Change the Channel controversy sort of, and at the end there's a skit about the song the Trial but with random CG animal things.

Baka-nin fucked around with this message at 02:15 on Oct 25, 2019

Solitair
Feb 18, 2014

watho posted:

the quinton to boldy flee video is the true definition of cinema

can't remember the last time i tapped my foot so impatiently

Solitair
Feb 18, 2014

Baka-nin posted:

and at the end there's a skit about the song the Trial but with random CG animal things.

I'd pity the animator if he didn't have such poo poo taste in Youtubers.

Noam Chomsky
Apr 4, 2019

:capitalism::dehumanize:

Sarcopenia posted:

Breadsword made what I remember as a very cute 3part tribute to it'a creator Satoshi Kon. Here's the first part.
https://youtu.be/2XGYr9_BiEU
I remember crying a lot when he died (tbf I was also very depressed, misdiagnosed and unmedicated at the time) and I dont think any stranger's death will ever have that same impact on me ever again. The way that man could recreate lonelyness and hope on the screen. Phew.

Good video but the guy talks almost exactly like NerdWriter1. It's strange.

Anti-Citizen
Oct 24, 2007
As You're Playing Chess, I'm Playing Russian Roulette

Mr.Radar posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hAnGhgPeZMk

:yeshaha: Quinton Reviews is finally giving his long-teased take on To Boldly Flee. Premieres in two hours!

Spends 45 minutes explaining why this is a bad idea, spends second 45 minutes doing the bad idea.

But man the first 45 minutes is honestly pretty good.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

"According to Wikipedia" there is a black hole that emits zionist hawking radiation where my brain should have been

I really should just shut the fuck up and stop posting forever
College Slice
Doctor Strange actually has a LOT of Isekai tropes and themes backed in it; but this gets into "Alice in Wonderland is actually an Isekai didn't you know?" which gets us into discussing Joseph Cambell's the Hero of a Thousand Faces and so on.

A manga I heartily recommend is Watamote, or "It's not my fault I'm not popular!" it had a very cringe anime that struck a lot of people as a little uncomfortably too close to home. However past the runtime of the anime mercifully Tomoko goes on a school trip, is forced to socialize with some people and gradually forms a support network of actually some really close friends and basically features on of the best examples of gradual, subtle, realistic, character growth in manga as Tomoko gradually ceases her proto-incel ways.

If you dropped it early in its manga run, or during the anime run, I'd suggest taking it up again, it is REALLY worth it. For best effect just rewatch the anime skipping through whenever the cringe gets unbearably bad and is causing you physical pain. Then after it skip to that approximate part of the manga and continue on, it starts to ease off pretty much immediately when Tomoko gets a new homeroom teacher who actually, *gasps* notices Tomoko's state of ennui/suffering and intervenes.

An adult taking responsibility and acting as a good role model? In my highschool manga? Unthinkable!

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

Anti-Citizen posted:

Spends 45 minutes explaining why this is a bad idea, spends second 45 minutes doing the bad idea.

:thejoke:

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

Anti-Citizen posted:

The second half is an incredible shaggy dog story though

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
https://twitter.com/thelindsayellis/status/1187614973704323072?s=19

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

Hello! I see you.

Yardbomb posted:

Street Fighter may be a great hammy movie, but it'll never be able to overtake the love that I have for the first Mortal Kombat movie, which also gave us an amazingly cheesy MK-themed album by Praga Khan.
Mortal Kombat: The Album came out a year before the movie! :eng101: