Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BMan
Oct 31, 2015

KNIIIIIIFE
EEEEEYYYYE
ATTAAAACK

Zero VGS posted:

I want to ask what that is but I'm afraid I'll be cancelled.

it means a red nose

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008
Putting the battery on the back would probably be somewhat harder and more expensive, I'm sure there are various factors like that that make it more difficult

mashed
Jul 27, 2004

I imagine it opens up durability problems compared to being in the front as you are adding the power cables into an area that will flex a lot.

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

Nektu posted:

Did you find the button for regulating the distance between the lenses and your face? The Index seemed very tight on my glasses before I figured that out.
I did, and it helps a bit, but I think overall it’s easier for me to leave my glasses off. They tend to fog up quite easily with the headset on as well, it’s just a layer of hassle I don’t need.

I can definitely see why everybody recommends working your way up to longer play sessions. Everything feels slightly unreal and sized subtly wrong for a little while after I take the headset off.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

mashed_penguin posted:

I imagine it opens up durability problems compared to being in the front as you are adding the power cables into an area that will flex a lot.

Yah, I suspect this is it. This plus making the batteries swappable would add weight and components that would need to withstand flex, sweat and torque. I think they were probably tasked with cutting every ounce they could.

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM
So.. Pistol Whip.

Its so good. Its going to kill me. But its so hecking good.

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

I want it to be more viable for third parties to create aftermarket headstraps for the Quest. Not sure when or if that could happen, but the greater choice would be really nice.

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

No Muscles For The Majority

Tip posted:

They would need to rethink the system that allows you to scale your punching power. It makes sense in single player, but in multi they'd really need to figure out a different way to handle that. It could be interesting if they let you choose between matches at "natural strength", where no multiplier is applied and the better puncher has an advantage

The problem with "natural strength" is that the game has no idea how strong you are; only how fast your hands move. This is part of why the game uses a multiplier, so that it adjusts for people with harder, but slower punches. So removing that would result in a person with faster hands being "stronger" than a person with slower hands. That is, the game would say that 135lbs Demetrious Johnson punches harder than 250lbs Francis Ngannou.

I don't know what would be the best solution, keeping multiplayer balanced and accessible for people of different sizes fighting each other. IRL boxing/MMA's solution is weight classes, but you can't really enforce that for a video game. I'm not sure if present VR tech has a solution that can't be effortlessly cheesed.

Origami Dali
Jan 7, 2005

Get ready to fuck!
You fucker's fucker!
You fucker!
Nothing will make it more clear how much of an out of shape hunk of poo poo you are than Thrill of the Fight, good lord.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

Origami Dali posted:

Nothing will make it more clear how much of an out of shape hunk of poo poo you are than Thrill of the Fight, good lord.

Not an empty quote.

ShadowHawk
Jun 25, 2000

CERTIFIED PRE OWNED TESLA OWNER
Valve has a way better RMA process than HTC

One of my Index controllers had a rare defect - the thumbstick couldn't move in a particular direction.

I filed a ticket on steam months after purchase with a 2-sentence explanation, and within a day I received an RMA and return shipping label. All they wanted me to do was bubble-wrap the controller on its way back in whatever box. They can figure out what serial number etc you have all automatically.

HTC, by contrast, has a process designed to make you give up. A lot of Vive wands had a defect where the right trackpad wouldn't click (all 4 of the wand I've owned had this issue). If a year hasn't elapsed, they'll make you look up individual serial numbers on the devices. They'll eventually approve an RMA.

Then they require you to pay for shipping (about 20 bucks per defective controller). Then they make you ship them individually.

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

NEVER FUCKING TAKE A NIGHT OFF CLAN WARS.
Thrill of the Fight on the Quest is an excellent implementation of the game. Nothing appears to be different than the version of Thrill of the Fight I played on PC a year and a half ago, except now I don't need to worry about demolishing myself/a wall/a light fixture/a monitor, because I can just sketch out a big square in the yard or driveway or porch and swing away.

Though if it were still as hot as it was a month ago, I would be dead right now, either of heat stroke or from being devoured by bugs.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy

ShadowHawk posted:

Valve has a way better RMA process than HTC

One of my Index controllers had a rare defect - the thumbstick couldn't move in a particular direction.

I filed a ticket on steam months after purchase with a 2-sentence explanation, and within a day I received an RMA and return shipping label. All they wanted me to do was bubble-wrap the controller on its way back in whatever box. They can figure out what serial number etc you have all automatically.

HTC, by contrast, has a process designed to make you give up. A lot of Vive wands had a defect where the right trackpad wouldn't click (all 4 of the wand I've owned had this issue). If a year hasn't elapsed, they'll make you look up individual serial numbers on the devices. They'll eventually approve an RMA.

Then they require you to pay for shipping (about 20 bucks per defective controller). Then they make you ship them individually.

Yeah I don't know if Valve should get kudos for a thoroughly average "ship it back to us first" RMA experience as much as HTC needs to be shot out of a cannon.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
Out of curiosity, have the manufacturing defects on the Knuckle controllers been ironed out completely?

Tom Guycot
Oct 15, 2008

Chief of Governors

SCheeseman posted:

I want it to be more viable for third parties to create aftermarket headstraps for the Quest. Not sure when or if that could happen, but the greater choice would be really nice.

Technically theres nothing at all preventing 3rd party straps for the quest now, what with the quest strap just being rubber and velcro. It can be removed in a completely non destructible and reversible way. HTC could rebrand their delux audio strap, and pack it with some velcro or something like those 3d printed adapters to snap it on.

If the Quest continues to sell well, I suppose I wouldn't be super shocked if someone eventually came out with a 3rd party strap? Its still probably a good bit of work though as it is with VR user numbers. We're not quite to the point of mad catz jumping in with cheap lovely aftermarket parts.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
You're forgetting HTC thinks they can somehow step to Oculus on both fronts with the Cosmos.

Tom Guycot
Oct 15, 2008

Chief of Governors

Well yeah, i don't think they ever would I'm just saying in theory theres nothing that would prevent them from doing so, mechanically, with the quest.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

Had a dinner party tonight and busted out Puppet Fever on the Quest afterwards, it was a big hit. Only complaint is that apparently only one "companion app" can be connected to the game at a time. Was slightly annoying for everyone not in the headset to have to crowd around one cell phone to see what was going on.

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

ShadowHawk posted:

Enterprise care is amazing. They ship first most of the time, everythings overnighted, paid both ways.

I won't talk much about consumer. But every time I get dumped into that queue and they realize its not a consumer account its sorrys and heres a label. I do know the horror stories, and I have had our dept get involved once or twice because it was really stupid.

So I guess if you can deal with enterprise, Its better. Wish consumer was better though. I get told its staffing and that might be the case since I've been dumped into the consumer queue a couple of times now.

Either way, Buy your HTC stuff from amazon.

lol #sponsored

ShadowHawk
Jun 25, 2000

EbolaIvory posted:

Enterprise care is amazing. They ship first most of the time, everythings overnighted, paid both ways.

I won't talk much about consumer. But every time I get dumped into that queue and they realize its not a consumer account its sorrys and heres a label. I do know the horror stories, and I have had our dept get involved once or twice because it was really stupid.

So I guess if you can deal with enterprise, Its better. Wish consumer was better though. I get told its staffing and that might be the case since I've been dumped into the consumer queue a couple of times now.

Either way, Buy your HTC stuff from amazon.

lol #sponsored
The only part of the process I cited where staffing would help is reducing the time it takes for them to approve the RMA. Everything else about it is anti-consumer by design, because some jerk correctly realized it would reduce the absolute number of returns.

Syves
Dec 10, 2007
50% Entertainment By Volume. Guaranteed!
Pillbug
I just RMA'd both my knuckles and a lighthouse with Valve and they emailed me the labels and such, but they said I didn't have to ship anything back until I had the new ones. Which I just got. Worst part of the deal for me was having to drive to a nearby FedEx place. And having sticks that wouldn't click in the first place. And a bearing out on the lighthouse. New stuff all works perfectly. So far. So happy days are back again.

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Nalin posted:

I hope you told them that having a fixed IPD and having lovely audio on the Rift S made it a worthless device and that they should be ashamed of themselves that they even bothered to sell it.

I lol’d

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Nalin posted:

I hope you told them that having a fixed IPD and having lovely audio on the Rift S made it a worthless device and that they should be ashamed of themselves that they even bothered to sell it.

That is all on Lenovo, not Oculus. It's literally a case of "Not their Department", lol.

Lenovo's answer to VR development is literally "we licensed the PSVR Headset", and everything they make is derived from it. I sorely want to see a teardown on the Rift S just to see if any of it's lifted directly from the PSVR HMD. Or at least how closely it derives from it still.

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

ShadowHawk posted:

The only part of the process I cited where staffing would help is reducing the time it takes for them to approve the RMA. Everything else about it is anti-consumer by design, because some jerk correctly realized it would reduce the absolute number of returns.

IDK who you know, or talk to about staffing, but thats what I get told by employees outside of that center who have to work with said people bla bla bla. It could all be bullshit, but there is a level of care there that works. I honestly think they just have a lovely system to keep track and theres not enough staff for fast turn around stuff.

Like, Doing my payroll paperwork and poo poo so they can pay me? hahahahah guys. You have no idea how backwards and old timey some of the poo poo they do is.

EDIT: What I'm trying to say here is MOST of the people I've met wanna help. The ONLY person whos been "hey ur shits out of warranty bla bla" and just shotgunned the whole thing was the most recent person and thats never happened like that. Normally I get someone whos semi chatty and ready to help (even when I get thrown to consumer care), but who the gently caress knows what happens after the call ends ya know?

EbolaIvory fucked around with this message at 08:18 on Oct 25, 2019

ShadowHawk
Jun 25, 2000

EbolaIvory posted:

IDK who you know, or talk to about staffing, but thats what I get told by employees outside of that center who have to work with said people bla bla bla. It could all be bullshit, but there is a level of care there that works. I honestly think they just have a lovely system to keep track and theres not enough staff for fast turn around stuff.

Like, Doing my payroll paperwork and poo poo so they can pay me? hahahahah guys. You have no idea how backwards and old timey some of the poo poo they do is.

EDIT: What I'm trying to say here is MOST of the people I've met wanna help. The ONLY person whos been "hey ur shits out of warranty bla bla" and just shotgunned the whole thing was the most recent person and thats never happened like that. Normally I get someone whos semi chatty and ready to help (even when I get thrown to consumer care), but who the gently caress knows what happens after the call ends ya know?
Yeah none of this is on the support staff here. They're not the ones deciding that customers have to send in their returns in separate boxes and pay for their own shipping. That's the problem, and having super friendly super available customer service staff can't help that.

El Grillo
Jan 3, 2008
Fun Shoe

mashed_penguin posted:

Yes given the biggest Rift CV1 fault has been the failure of headphones and back strap LEDs due to the ribbon cable in the strap getting too much wear. My original CV1 was effectively bricked after two years because of this :/

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

El Grillo posted:

Yes given the biggest Rift CV1 fault has been the failure of headphones and back strap LEDs due to the ribbon cable in the strap getting too much wear. My original CV1 was effectively bricked after two years because of this :/

Did they ever revise the Oculus Rift to fix that issue, or is it just something they're all doomed to suffer?

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund

Syves posted:

I just RMA'd both my knuckles and a lighthouse with Valve and they emailed me the labels and such, but they said I didn't have to ship anything back until I had the new ones. Which I just got. Worst part of the deal for me was having to drive to a nearby FedEx place. And having sticks that wouldn't click in the first place. And a bearing out on the lighthouse. New stuff all works perfectly. So far. So happy days are back again.

Lucky for you, then, when I did the same for mine I had to mail them and wait, they wouldn't send me an advance pair even when I requested it.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
I don't believe it! Custom skydomes were fixed in SteamVR Beta!

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
The Return of the Rottweiners rebuild is up for H3VR! :zombie:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1H47WTeZ8I8

Wheezle
Aug 13, 2007

420 stop boats erryday
I've just switched to a Rift S from a Vive and I'm now noticing some rather problematic FPS drops in Beat Saber that weren't there before. I know the resolution is a little higher now, but surely a 2080 Super should be able to handle that, right?

Is playing SteamVR games on Rift known to come with performance issues? I guess otherwise it could just be the added CPU load of the rift's tracking cameras, maybe?

Thoatse
Feb 29, 2016

Lol said the scorpion, lmao
Yeah beat saber runs well even with potato so sounds like something is wrong. I have a 2060/3570k and have no problem pulling 120fps on an Index at 100%. Don't have an S but my cv1 had no problem holding 90 with ss cranked to 170

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

NEVER FUCKING TAKE A NIGHT OFF CLAN WARS.

Neddy Seagoon posted:

The Return of the Rottweiners rebuild is up for H3VR! :zombie:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1H47WTeZ8I8

It is extremely good. I'm playing on the Quest through ALVR and it is excellent, though I was having some FPS issues around the first hive when there were ~15 zombos around.

Wheezle posted:

I've just switched to a Rift S from a Vive and I'm now noticing some rather problematic FPS drops in Beat Saber that weren't there before. I know the resolution is a little higher now, but surely a 2080 Super should be able to handle that, right?

Is playing SteamVR games on Rift known to come with performance issues? I guess otherwise it could just be the added CPU load of the rift's tracking cameras, maybe?

Check SteamVR advanced settings to make sure it didn't automatically set it to 1.5x supersampling.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Wheezle posted:

Something is definitely up, make sure that your GPU is the default processor for all 3D applications. Maybe it's trying to use your CPU for it?

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Thrill of the Fight is a fantastic game for quest, slightly niche, but also feels a bit like a killer app. I can't imagine the hell of trying to play this game with a cord strapped to you head. This is the first game where I clipped a piece of furniture with my hand/controller

72hz feels really slow once you really get into it with the opponent, gonna keep playing it, great game. I'm curious when the v2 will come out with higher frame rate and improved tracking. Besides Expert+ on beat saber, this is the first time I've run across a situation where more fps would really be a clear advantage

Also to whoever mentioned boxing burns about 10 calories per minute, holy hell, that feels about right, you can really work up a sweat fast

A+, did I mention it's only $9.99? Wow

Wheezle
Aug 13, 2007

420 stop boats erryday
Thanks guys. I’ll do some more tinkering.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Wheezle posted:

Did you set “-vrmode oculus” in the steam launch options?

right click the game in Steam > properties > set launch options > type in "-vrmode oculus" without quotes.

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

Did you set “-vrmode oculus” in the steam launch options?

right click the game in Steam > properties > set launch options > type in "-vrmode oculus" without quotes.

TBH it shouldn't matter. with that card yeah.

Reinstall Beat Saber, Don't copy your old songs back. Reinstall base mods.

Garbage collection and bla bla bla bla, sometimes it just needs reset.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
It makes no sense, because I have had the game just break performance without changing the installation or adding songs. Any "garbage collection" is memory bullshit that would get reset with restarting the game.

If you go looking for help, you'll find there's plenty of people that are complaining about framerate and performance issues past 1.2 and 1.3. With 1.4 and 1.42 poo poo was just limping along with 80-100fps and mirrors disabled, even dropping supersampling didn't help. Once I reverted to 1.3, I got my 120fps back, with mirrors enabled again and higher supersampling. Of course, that's loving fun, because Steam removed the ability to disable game updates, so I have to remember every time I want to play to go into offline mode.

If you care about scores, you should try getting 1.3 to work, if you're up for reverting. They changed hit detection on that version, resulting in better scores.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

Combat Pretzel posted:

It makes no sense, because I have had the game just break performance without changing the installation or adding songs. Any "garbage collection" is memory bullshit that would get reset with restarting the game.

If you go looking for help, you'll find there's plenty of people that are complaining about framerate and performance issues past 1.2 and 1.3. With 1.4 and 1.42 poo poo was just limping along with 80-100fps and mirrors disabled, even dropping supersampling didn't help. Once I reverted to 1.3, I got my 120fps back, with mirrors enabled again and higher supersampling. Of course, that's loving fun, because Steam removed the ability to disable game updates, so I have to remember every time I want to play to go into offline mode.

If you care about scores, you should try getting 1.3 to work, if you're up for reverting. They changed hit detection on that version, resulting in better scores.

I mean. I'm going off what the coders who write major addons for said game say. Which ends up being engine limitations + garbage collection. Liiiike, have you seen some of the new wall maps? My CPU/GPU does not 100%, yet the engine cannot keep up with whats going on at times. Fun fun fun.

Keep in mind, Its my literal job to have this poo poo running well enough to not have issues. Its probably collection build up from cache saves bla bla bla. A fresh install fixes it basically for everyone unless they have deeper steamVR issues or something. And I mean fresh. No copying your old poo poo back over.

Also the IPA thing, Is a piece of poo poo. If you notice something opening and closing randomly while playing, thats what that is. Reinstall BS at that point.