Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mysterious frankie
Jan 11, 2009

This displeases Dev- ..van. Shut up.

mandatory lesbian posted:

Yeah, I literally don't remember any plot importance he's had. Like I imagine at some point he shot a villain with an arrow but like, gently caress if I actually know.

Tho confession time, I haven't watched every avengers so maybe he did some real poo poo in civil war

I think he was supposed to serve along with scarjos character as a human standing with the gods and showing that we still have utility through our ability to be highly competent. Last time I saw him in something even he was going “listen, I shoot arrows for a living, so why do you need me again?”

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mysterious frankie
Jan 11, 2009

Admittedly I havent watched an avengers movie since the one with ultron, he says I-don’t-even-own-a-tvishly

Bro Dad
Mar 26, 2010

Hawkeye should have been like mcguyver as an Archer or something. Not even joking I think it'd be interesting if he had been not like a genius or anything but more like quick on his feet thinking of a plan. Just, he needs something in addition to the archery, that can't define him.

This is literally his character in the comics

Well that and really long panel spreads of him heisting something with his sidekick Pizza Dog

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Hawkeye should have been like mcguyver as an Archer or something. Not even joking I think it'd be interesting if he had been not like a genius or anything but more like quick on his feet thinking of a plan. Just, he needs something in addition to the archery, that can't define him.

thats roughly what he is in the comics at this point

KiteAuraan
Aug 5, 2014

JER GEDDA FERDA RADDA ARA!

MCU Hawkeye is there so that nerds into archery will think he is cool and buy his comics, where he is actually a character.

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!
https://twitter.com/RubenBolling/status/922871310748913665

Uncle Wemus
Mar 4, 2004

A Gnarlacious Bro posted:

It's all worth it to see my childhood role models on the big screen, inspiring another generation of people to go out and do good in the world.

I'm so glad all the strong women of my favorite childhood movies are now GENERALS :swoon::syoon::allears:

mysterious frankie
Jan 11, 2009

I’m guessing hawkeye survived the infinity war because the purple god didn’t think it was worth taking the time to smush a guy whose main skill is aiming with what is, I assume based on the beer bloat in the face, a moderate hangover.

A similar principle is how I survived multiple acquisitions at one of my previous jobs.

Serf
May 5, 2011

hawkeye in the mcu is never important, but renner brings a lot to a thin role. and the way they used him to open endgame was actually pretty effective, but that's a long way to go for one meaty scene

Freaking Crumbum
Apr 17, 2003

Too fuck to drunk

even if they cut ties with him for the expected movie, it's disheartening to know that inside 12 months he'll still be getting regular work again, everybody with influence will act like he's mended his ways, and he'll keep doing the same reprehensible poo poo but just be more clever about keeping it on the DL

at this point, if disney isn't going to straight end his career like weinstein did for all those women that spurned him, what's even the point? loving make the movie anyway disney since you cowards aren't going to actually hold him to any material consequences

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

KomradeX posted:

Considering the dreadful state of media and Scorsese's and Coppola's arguments had got me thinking over the past 19 years, are they're any movies, maybe besides the first Matrix , head there been, I guess iconic? Maybe I'm just out of touch

mad max, there will be blood, the room

KiteAuraan
Aug 5, 2014

mysterious frankie posted:

I’m guessing hawkeye survived the infinity war because the purple god didn’t think it was worth taking the time to smush a guy whose main skill is aiming with what is, I assume based on the beer bloat in the face, a moderate hangover.

A similar principle is how I survived multiple acquisitions at one of my previous jobs.

He wasn't even in Infinity War, he took a vacation and unlike Poochie, no one ever asked where Hawkeye was.

MizPiz
May 29, 2013

by Athanatos

Barry Convex posted:

not mine lol

If Dr. Strange is considered a "surreal avant-garde experimental film", than it's further proof Disney is complicent in the erasure of minority artists.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DTXFknz4J88

Bro Dad
Mar 26, 2010

Speed Racer is my favorite "get super high and let it wash over you" kinda movie

Percelus
Sep 9, 2012

My command, your wish is

KiteAuraan posted:

He wasn't even in Infinity War, he took a vacation and unlike Poochie, no one ever asked where Hawkeye was.

no they explained where antman and him were in a throw away line of dialogue

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

MCU Hawkeye and Back Widow was based off the Ultimates comic version where they were literally death squad veterans.

That was implied that in Avengers and just sort of ignored it after though.

The first comic origin of Hawkeye as an orphan who ran away to join the carnival is a lot better.

KomradeX posted:

Considering the dreadful state of media and Scorsese's and Coppola's arguments had got me thinking over the past 19 years, are they're any movies, maybe besides the first Matrix , head there been, I guess iconic? Maybe I'm just out of touch

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KnJU4pigeIc

KiteAuraan
Aug 5, 2014

MizPiz posted:

If Dr. Strange is considered a "surreal avant-garde experimental film", than it's further proof Disney is complicent in the erasure of minority artists.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DTXFknz4J88

Dr. Strange is just Iron Man with action scenes from Inception and some kaleidoscope images. Very avant-garde.

Uncle Wemus
Mar 4, 2004

Barry Convex posted:

not mine lol

Kill all nerds

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

Doctor Strange at least uses its visual effects technology in ways that are interesting and effective. I dunno about "avant-garde" but it's eminently more watchable than the thousands of man hours that were spent getting the lighting right on the purple space monster man's big chin.

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001
i liked civil war, it was fine

Dreylad has issued a correction as of 01:53 on Oct 25, 2019

Echo Chamber
Oct 16, 2008

best username/post combo
Doctor Strange is still the only MCU movie I haven't watched because of everything about how they handled the Tilda Swinton character. Judging by people's opinions that I trust, I didn't miss out on much.

Like, the screenwriter literally referred to complainers as SJWs. gently caress him. I say this as someone who, by the standards of this thread, is generally less jaded by the MCU as long as I'm entertained.

I was kind of annoyed how they found a way to feature her in Endgame.

Echo Chamber has issued a correction as of 01:56 on Oct 25, 2019

Bro Dad
Mar 26, 2010

Literally whitewashing a character to not upset the Chinese government, then accuse all your critics of being political :psyduck:

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Bro Dad posted:

Literally whitewashing a character to not upset the Chinese government, then accuse all your critics of being political :psyduck:

watch this interview to die instantly, it’s with the writer

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eEpbUf8dGq0

A Gnarlacious Bro
Apr 25, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Sometimes it's just nice to turn your brain off and go "this is fine" or whatever, because *robot voice* there's no such thing as ethical consumption in capitalism.

A Gnarlacious Bro
Apr 25, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Taintrunner posted:

watch this interview to die instantly, it’s with the writer

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eEpbUf8dGq0

yikes

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

yes!!

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

that whole plussing thing was really informative it explains why none of these movies have breathers and they just jerk around between intense tonal shifts

if you just want to jump right into the race stuff it starts at eighteen minutes

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
Doctor Strange should have been directed by Jodorowsky.

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

Bro Dad posted:

Speed Racer is my favorite "get super high and let it wash over you" kinda movie

i just watched that for the first time on a bunch of edibles a couple weeks back and holy poo poo yeah, it loving owns and easily in a favorite list now. i dunno how i went 12 years without seeing it

Freaking Crumbum
Apr 17, 2003

Too fuck to drunk

finally watched the first episode of watchmen, and it felt overwhelming with weird details that don't get context or explanation. the boys was easier for me to parse, because the majority of the setting was consistent with contemporary US timeline, and the main change was "now people have super powers and they're still lovely fallible human beings"

but like, there's squid rain and vietnam is a state and robert redford (as himself, not as a character) has been the president forever and there's reparations of some kind that were apparently authorized by his administration and the protagonist seems to have adopted 3 white kids and there's no cell phones but pagers still exist and a bunch of nazi hicks were stockpiling old watch batteries and jeremy irons was a creepy sex-pest-looking dude with weirdly obedient clone maids

i dunno, it felt like getting thrown into the deep end of the pool in a bad way. there were so many incongruent details that don't get explained that it made it hard for me to focus on whatever the main plot is supposed to be

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Freaking Crumbum posted:

finally watched the first episode of watchmen, and it felt overwhelming with weird details that don't get context or explanation. the boys was easier for me to parse, because the majority of the setting was consistent with contemporary US timeline, and the main change was "now people have super powers and they're still lovely fallible human beings"

but like, there's squid rain and vietnam is a state and robert redford (as himself, not as a character) has been the president forever and there's reparations of some kind that were apparently authorized by his administration and the protagonist seems to have adopted 3 white kids and there's no cell phones but pagers still exist and a bunch of nazi hicks were stockpiling old watch batteries and jeremy irons was a creepy sex-pest-looking dude with weirdly obedient clone maids

i dunno, it felt like getting thrown into the deep end of the pool in a bad way. there were so many incongruent details that don't get explained that it made it hard for me to focus on whatever the main plot is supposed to be

A lot of the weird details are book stuff but there's a bunch that aren't, it's fuckin wild

Serf
May 5, 2011

Freaking Crumbum posted:

there's supplemental materials on their website that help, but all you really need to know is that ezra klein is redford's press secretary

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
The one weird detail that I liked was the police chief having under the hood on his desk but I'm a freak of nature who absorbs comics poo poo so I automatically spend shows like this catching the dumb background stuff

Freaking Crumbum
Apr 17, 2003

Too fuck to drunk

Serf posted:

there's supplemental materials on their website that help, but all you really need to know is that ezra klein is redford's press secretary

thanks for the heads-up; i absolutely hate that. if something is important enough to the story that's being told that they're going to spend time creating it, please keep it contained in the same medium as the primary story.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Freaking Crumbum posted:

thanks for the heads-up; i absolutely hate that. if something is important enough to the story that's being told that they're going to spend time creating it, please keep it contained in the same medium as the primary story.

The idea, I think, is to try to replicate the backmatter from the original comic, which was largely text pieces and other non comic stuff

Farm Frenzy
Jan 3, 2007

i like the fascist superhero themed cops vs just regular fascists theme so far and i wish the show was just that without being tied to watchmen at all

Freaking Crumbum
Apr 17, 2003

Too fuck to drunk

BENGHAZI 2 posted:

The idea, I think, is to try to replicate the backmatter from the original comic, which was largely text pieces and other non comic stuff

yeah, but it was all still included in the comics (you weren't having to go out and buy different black sail comics or whatever to get the story).

it's like how a lot of video game franchises (like warcraft) have comic book tie-ins and novelizations and all other kinds of cross-media offerings, and the net result is that someone that just engages with the main product (the game) can get completely blindsided when concepts or characters from the books / comics just get dropped into the middle of the story.

i know it's a calculated attempt to make you buy their extra poo poo, and i hate it

Serf
May 5, 2011

Freaking Crumbum posted:

the only real detail that should have been included in the first update is that veidt has been missing for years and the fbi has just ended their search for him by declaring him dead. which he clearly isn't. there's a headline about him being declared dead but unless you read the website you don't know why that's a big deal. the rorschach cultists think veidt killed their saint and are going crazy because the search is over

100 HOGS AGREE
Oct 13, 2007
Grimey Drawer
homestuck is back. what does this mean in a post-trump world?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MizPiz
May 29, 2013

by Athanatos

100 HOGS AGREE posted:

homestuck is back. what does this mean in a post-trump world?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0mhZBLUyybo