Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

I think my mass effect is broken
Oh poo poo, Garces refereeing a Southern Hemisphere team that's not Australia? RIP Springboks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

I believe in all the ways that they say you can lose your body
Fallen Rib
gently caress. springboks going to be playing against two opponents

bigfoot again
Apr 24, 2007

Tyma posted:

The biggest shame is that this could hurt Nigel Owens or Wayne Barnes and their chances of refereeing the final. At this point four years ago, Owens was already cemented to referee the final, Wales were in the quarter-finals, and World Rugby were confident enough in the integrity of refereeing that they would have no problems with a senior referee officiating a final involving their home country.

Yeah, no, that’s not true

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

IT CAN'T BE BARGAINED WITH.
IT CAN'T BE REASONED WITH.
IT DOESN'T FEEL PITY, OR REMORSE, OR FEAR.
AND IT ABSOLUTELY WILL NOT STOP, EVER, UNTIL YOU ADMIT YOU'RE WRONG ABOUT WARHAMMER
Clapping Larry

Tyma posted:

The biggest shame is that this could hurt Nigel Owens or Wayne Barnes and their chances of refereeing the final. At this point four years ago, Owens was already cemented to referee the final, Wales were in the quarter-finals, and World Rugby were confident enough in the integrity of refereeing that they would have no problems with a senior referee officiating a final involving their home country.

To be fair I don't think you should have an official from one of the countries playing no matter what. If French people are implying that taking a dumb photo after the game when you've had a drink somehow brings into question your impartiality, then being from one of the countries bein played means you'll never hear the end of it.

Besides, if I was the referee I think I'd constantly be questioning my decisions and second guessing myself, and probably end up being unfairly harsh on my own team. Then if they won anyway I'd be accused of being biased, and I would probably feel annoyed at it all.

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

Kitchner posted:

To be fair I don't think you should have an official from one of the countries playing no matter what. If French people are implying that taking a dumb photo after the game when you've had a drink somehow brings into question your impartiality, then being from one of the countries bein played means you'll never hear the end of it.

??

quote:

Oh poo poo, Garces refereeing a Southern Hemisphere team that's not Australia? RIP Springboks.

???

quote:

gently caress. springboks going to be playing against two opponents

????

You're right no one ever questions the impartiality of refs

Flayer
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
Buglord
I have no problem with Peyper doing the elbow pose but he shouldn't be seen hanging out with fans of any one team like that during the world cup.

oh no computer
May 27, 2003

https://twitter.com/dummy_runner/status/1186611633445056514

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

AND IT ABSOLUTELY WILL NOT STOP, EVER, UNTIL YOU ADMIT YOU'RE WRONG ABOUT WARHAMMER
Clapping Larry

This photo calls into question his impartiality, he be playing favourites with extreme weather events.

bigfoot again
Apr 24, 2007

Guys I am really excited for England vs New Zealand in the semi final of the Rugby World Cup. I expect to lose. But it's gonna be awesome.

I also think Eddie's done a good job no matter the outcome, even if he is a bit of a oval office. He's brought through Sinckler, Curry, Slade, and Underhill, and he's given some exposure to younger guys like Mercer and Marcus Smith.

But if New Zealand win this world cup it's a real testament to Steve Hansen being willing to change his tactics and backline a year out from the tournament. That took some stones.

tarbrush
Feb 7, 2011

ALL ABOARD THE SCOTLAND HYPE TRAIN!

CHOO CHOO

bigfoot again posted:

Guys I am really excited for England vs New Zealand in the semi final of the Rugby World Cup. I expect to lose. But it's gonna be awesome.

I also think Eddie's done a good job no matter the outcome, even if he is a bit of a oval office. He's brought through Sinckler, Curry, Slade, and Underhill, and he's given some exposure to younger guys like Mercer and Marcus Smith.

But if New Zealand win this world cup it's a real testament to Steve Hansen being willing to change his tactics and backline a year out from the tournament. That took some stones.

I am going to miss it (for a fun thing, but still) and am very sad.

Vaders Jester
Sep 9, 2009

:scotland:
Same, away this weekend so every device is on airplane mode til I get home to watch the replays.

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

Who's taking the picture?!

tarbrush
Feb 7, 2011

ALL ABOARD THE SCOTLAND HYPE TRAIN!

CHOO CHOO
Good news for Wales, Colbie is out of the semi final

Jedimastafez
Jun 5, 2005

The Stanley Cup has been kidnapped by Gary Bettman! Are you a bad enough dude to rescue it?
Watching the Mako live at Trafalgar this Saturday and then the ABs
Big weekend for Rugby which I again admit I am only a casual fan of

stavros880
May 2, 2005
I like monkeys

Liam Williams is out as well, probably won't recover in time for the final/3rd place kick about either.
Maybe that's why Gatland called up Owen Lane instead of a centre as expected? Maybe he knew Williams's ankle was a bit dodgy?

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

Clapping Larry

stavros880 posted:

Liam Williams is out as well, probably won't recover in time for the final/3rd place kick about either.
Maybe that's why Gatland called up Owen Lane instead of a centre as expected? Maybe he knew Williams's ankle was a bit dodgy?

I had almost posted here earlier saying I have no ill will against SA players but I was just glad it wasn't yet another Wales injury.

Glad I didn't as I'd have looked stupid now.

Vaders Jester
Sep 9, 2009

Welsh injury crises are traditional for World Cups are this stage. Really tough luck for Williams and Kolbe. Hope they get fit again for the final/3rd place game regardless of who makes it through.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

I believe in all the ways that they say you can lose your body
Fallen Rib
Kolbe has been excellent but he hardly received any of the ball against Japan so I think the Boks can go on without him for now. That being said I hope he is fit for the next round and does receive more ball.
Also it looks like Faf was getting a bit raked through the coals on social media due to his box kicking every time he touched the ball. Looks like he is taking it in stride though, basically saying he understands why people were upset about it but that was their game plan and their game plan won them the game.

bigfoot again
Apr 24, 2007

NZ pick Scott Barrett are blindside instead of Sam Cane. Pretty surprised, but I guess they’re taking England’s power game seriously.

England go back to Ford/Farrell which makes sense for this game.

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

Well Williams hasn't set the world cup alight and Halfpenny is a solid full back so it's not as egregious as it would be if Jonathan Davies went down.

fallingdownjoe
Mar 16, 2007

Please love me
Yeah, it sucks for Williams but he’s not been as incisive with his attacks as he can be, so I don’t think it’s a fatal loss. And Halfpenny is excellent so it should work out okay.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
I'm amazed Kolbe wasn't out from that game where it looked like he'd snapped his ankle in the last few minutes.

Vaders Jester
Sep 9, 2009

bigfoot again posted:

NZ pick Scott Barrett are blindside instead of Sam Cane. Pretty surprised, but I guess they’re taking England’s power game seriously.

I wonder if it's so they can challenge the England lineout with 4 jumpers. England love playing for territory with kicks but if they can't get any change out of the lineout it might cause them to keep ball in hand. Also lets the ABs kick more aggressively too. Will be interesting to see how it plays out.

Mister Chief
Jun 6, 2011

bigfoot again posted:

Why is that?

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

Vaders Jester posted:

I wonder if it's so they can challenge the England lineout with 4 jumpers. England love playing for territory with kicks but if they can't get any change out of the lineout it might cause them to keep ball in hand. Also lets the ABs kick more aggressively too. Will be interesting to see how it plays out.

Scott Barrett is also a strong ball carrier, so Hansen is aiming for mobility in his pack. I'd say Sbarrett would be a good fit for the shape-shifting pod structure that the All Blacks use.

bigfoot again
Apr 24, 2007

Mister Chief posted:

Why is that?

New Zealand’s centres aren’t as big as Australia’s so you can afford to have Ford. Also you need more accurate tactical kicking or Beauden will destroy you on the counterattack.

Possibly also they think they’ll need to create more tries to win, whereas against Australia you can just wait for thei mistakes.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

A former student of mine sang the national anthem at the Bay of Plenty v. Hawke’s Bay game. Super duper proud of her.

1000 Brown M and Ms
Oct 22, 2008

F:\DL>quickfli 4-clowns.fli
That's cool. I hope it's only for the finals though, it's really not necessary to sing the anthem before every game like in American sports.

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

Excited but nervous again :ohdear:

Dsmif
Sep 4, 2014

Skarsnik posted:

Excited but nervous again :ohdear:

Yep...

Sphyre
Jun 14, 2001

i'm backing black tonight!!!

The Rabbi T. White
Jul 17, 2008

Aaaaaaallllll Blllllaaaaaackkkks

Pail Ale
Jul 3, 2007

Bucket Beer
Pillbug
Carn kiwis. Don't choke

Wizard Master
Mar 25, 2008

I am the Wizard Master
I hope both teams play fair and everybody has a nice time.

Deepfried
Sep 20, 2001

Nervous af. Come on ABs

The Rabbi T. White
Jul 17, 2008

Wizard Master posted:

I hope both teams play fair and everybody has a nice time.

Sphyre
Jun 14, 2001

:siren: haka response :siren:

Pail Ale
Jul 3, 2007

Bucket Beer
Pillbug
Oooh, what?

Pail Ale
Jul 3, 2007

Bucket Beer
Pillbug
Wonder what would have happened if the ref didn't nix it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Got a feeling this is gonna be an ugly game.