Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

rudecyrus
Nov 6, 2009

fuck you trolls
Jesus, he's doing this again?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GrossMurpel
Apr 8, 2011
The Something Awful Forums > The Finer Arts > Batman's Shameful Secret > The Legacy of Dominic Deegan: Jesus, he's doing this again?

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Vote shit sandwich or the shit sandwich gets it!
Don't you

Don't you usually write on signs and then put them up? The last panel seems to suggest the opposite, i.e. the person who made that sign staked a blank sign into the ground and then started writing on it.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Mikl posted:

Don't you

Don't you usually write on signs and then put them up? The last panel seems to suggest the opposite, i.e. the person who made that sign staked a blank sign into the ground and then started writing on it.

not in Minecraft

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

Mikl posted:

Don't you

Technically this sign could have been written in advance, but all of these signs being written like they would be used by a very wordy Wiley Coyote doesn't do Mookie any favors since a simple 'Caution' or 'Danger' sign would work. This is just a dumb non-joke in a series that's not supposed to have dialogue but finds every possible way to substitute dialogue through text which is the same difference in a comic book where we can only "hear" things though text.

Ague Proof
Jun 5, 2014

they told me
I was everything

Mikl posted:

Don't you

It's how Dominic Deegan is written. Without planning.

Drunk Theory
Aug 20, 2016

Oven Wrangler
Ahh. The signs really are the most low effort way to get around this “deaf” premise, especially when it’s the same exact joke. Have we all forgotten the deaf thing. It took me a minute to remember it myself.

GrossMurpel
Apr 8, 2011
I thought he was mute

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

GrossMurpel posted:

I thought he was mute

He probably is, but more because Mookie likely doesn't realize deaf people can learn to talk, they just can't hear themselves talk, which produces a certain "accent."

Beelzebufo
Mar 5, 2015

Frog puns are toadally awesome

Mors Rattus posted:

He probably is, but more because Mookie likely doesn't realize deaf people can learn to talk, they just can't hear themselves talk, which produces a certain "accent."

If Mookie were competent, the idea of making his main character deaf as a "challenge" would imply making him mute as well because the point would be to convey action and plot without words. Snout's deafness is definitely not a character trait that is really relevant to the story or the struggles he faces in any way, so this really isn't a story about a deaf character, or a story with a deaf protagonist, but a story with deafness as a plot contrivance to justify not using speech. But instead we have the signs, and journal entries. He immediately got bored and undermined his own premise.

Beelzebufo fucked around with this message at 14:11 on Oct 24, 2019

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
If I had money to waste on being mean to people, I'd send Mookie a copy of Comès's graphic novel Silence, which is about a deaf and mute protagonist who meets a witch and who keeps a slate on which to communicate with poorly-spelled phrases. Though I don't believe an English-language version exists.

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

Cat Mattress posted:

If I had money to waste on being mean to people, I'd send Mookie a copy of Comès's graphic novel Silence, which is about a deaf and mute protagonist who meets a witch and who keeps a slate on which to communicate with poorly-spelled phrases. Though I don't believe an English-language version exists.

He can't be deaf, he doesn't have the arm patch!

TheHan
Oct 29, 2011

Grind, you poor fool!
Grind straight for the stars!
It’s not really clear if Mookie made Snout deaf to have representation, or for the challenge of writing a story with no dialogue. If it’s the former it feels kind of weird to not take anything from that community beyond “can’t hear” and if it’s the latter, you don’t really need to contrive a reason for your comic to not have dialogue. If Snout ever interacts with the setting beyond a handful of set pieces we’ll least get a classic Dominic Deegan bigot who’ll be shouted down by a “good guy” that’s also being lovely in their own special way.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

Mors Rattus posted:

Can you imagine Mookie trying to write a deaf person's accent?

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Who What Now posted:

It would be awful, yes.

Ague Proof
Jun 5, 2014

they told me
I was everything

Cat Mattress posted:

Is Mookie taking inspiration from this comic.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Ague Proof posted:

Is Mookie taking inspiration from this comic.

That seems unlikely since, again, I don't think it was ever made available on English-speaking markets. I doubt Mookie would even want to try to write something as gut-punching as it. I just thought of the few superficial similarities and was amused by the contrast.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

TheHan posted:

It’s not really clear if Mookie made Snout deaf to have representation, or for the challenge of writing a story with no dialogue. If it’s the former it feels kind of weird to not take anything from that community beyond “can’t hear” and if it’s the latter, you don’t really need to contrive a reason for your comic to not have dialogue. If Snout ever interacts with the setting beyond a handful of set pieces we’ll least get a classic Dominic Deegan bigot who’ll be shouted down by a “good guy” that’s also being lovely in their own special way.

gimmick that he got bored with

TheHan
Oct 29, 2011

Grind, you poor fool!

Dabir posted:

gimmick that he got bored with

Okay yeah, occam's razor. But what if...

There's no logical way for Snout to escape with, so place your bets:

A) The Tree is actually nice
B) Snout uses the ink trick again, inexplicably
C) A 3rd party comes out of nowhere and unintentionally saves Snout

PetraCore
Jul 20, 2017

👁️🔥👁️👁️👁️BE NOT👄AFRAID👁️👁️👁️🔥👁️

TheHan posted:

Why can't he just get sap from the branches that have been projectile-shot at him?

Drunk Theory
Aug 20, 2016

Oven Wrangler

TheHan posted:

Oh no. That poor tree is so screwed. Since it has no obvious squishy weakpoints, I assume it will pull its own roots up and tip over somehow within the next page or two.

Fish Noise
Jul 25, 2012

IT'S ME, BURROWS!

IT WAS ME ALL ALONG, BURROWS!

TheHan posted:

D) Puts the D to use

Vox Valentine
May 31, 2013

Solving all of life's problems through enhanced casting of Occam's Razor. Reward yourself with an imaginary chalice.

Fish Noise posted:

D) Puts the D to use
He will use his MIGHTY PENIS to solve this problem. Cut wood with wood.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

TheHan posted:

d) his dick flops out before he dies

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

A

Toalpaz
Mar 20, 2012

Peace through overwhelming determination
I think the tree tries to eat him and a spiny rock lodges itself perfectly inside a tree knot thus preventing the tree from eating him x2

maltesh
May 20, 2004

Uncle Ben: Still Dead.
It's weird that Snout does not appear to have brought any tools for harvesting sap from an ordinary tree, much less a murdertree with extremely tough bark.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

maltesh posted:

It's weird that Snout does not appear to have brought any tools for harvesting sap from an ordinary tree, much less a murdertree with extremely tough bark.

Snout never brings preparations, because anything he needs miraculously appears in the first place he looks.

skeleton warrior
Nov 12, 2016

maltesh posted:

After the fight, the scene will cut to Snout looking at a bottle filled with black liquid and giving a weary expression.

Actually showing anything about the process would involve Mookie a) thinking details are important to his story, b) making any effort to look at details to show understanding and/or c) planning at all.

Edit: he literally created a setting filled with mountains and forests and yet somehow the background is always an empty white void, he’s never actually going to putting any work into this

skeleton warrior fucked around with this message at 14:38 on Oct 25, 2019

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

skeleton warrior posted:

Edit: he literally created a setting filled with mountains and forests and yet somehow the background is always an empty white void, he’s never actually going to putting any work into this

It's been nearly 2 decades and this is still the funniest thing about this loving comic. 2 years where the most background he ever drew was a dimension made entirely of rectangles and with a ball made of smaller balls.

Emrikol
Oct 1, 2015
That skori tree sure is a scary tree.

Beelzebufo
Mar 5, 2015

Again, all that for some glue to fix a page that is still legible and that glue wouldn't fix anyway.

Mookie is the worst kind of DM.

"Uh yeah, you find a book... no you can't read it, it's stained and ripped, you have to get glue to fix it. It's magic glue, that's why it fixes stains!"

Like objectively unless this glue reverses time, it's not going to help what's on those pages. He doesn't even have the last 2. But now's the time to hunt yet another violently murderous plant, like the giant Audrey monsters that the "vegetarian" orcs hunted.

Lemma
Aug 18, 2010

Who What Now posted:

My guess is he ends up with some magic nonsense that effectively negates the handicap; i.e. he'll be able to "hear" and "talk" to everyone perfectly well in some stupid way that makes him being deaf be 100% irrelevant to the story. IIRC, Dominic Deegan had a limb chopped off but it was immediately grown back or he got a Fullmetal Alchemist replacement that was 100% the same thing and it only became a factor in the story when it was convenient.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

I love that he's risking life and limb for nothing more than mild curiosity. What a great call to action for our hero's journey :geno:

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Remember how Star Wars starts off with Luke tagging along with Obiwan because he's really bored? Great stuff.

TheHan
Oct 29, 2011

Grind, you poor fool!
Remember how in Star Wars after the Empire torched his home, uncle and aunt inside, what really called Luke to adventure was how he wanted to find out who built C3PO? It’s like Snout’s doing every side quest before leaving the starting town.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

TheHan posted:

It’s like Snout’s doing every side quest before leaving the starting town.

I feel it's on brand that this is like the world's shittiest SSLP.

TheHan
Oct 29, 2011

Grind, you poor fool!
And the solution is...!

Good god Snout’s strong enough to rip tree roots apart with his bare hands.

Beelzebufo
Mar 5, 2015

Nice of it to let go of his leg as well

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

Isn't this, like, a Looney Tunes gag, like last time? Where's the joke for the last 2 pages? It's just, "oh it really is dangerous, and now he's scared". At least the blood-fang place had the whole being oblivious of the monster gag, as bad as it was. This just has nothing.