Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Eltoasto
Aug 26, 2002

We come spinning out of nothingness, scattering stars like dust.

90 minutes seems insanely long

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe
i really should get an instapot

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel
Of all people I'm surprised you don't have one. I've used mine once before but I plan on using it this fall/winter.

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
I'm going to costco tonight. my last visit was my first time and it did not go well. it was 11:00 am on a thursday, I waited for my card for 10 minutes, only to be told the printer was broken. then I tried to find some food saver bags and browse around a bit but it was so crowded I panicked and bailed. waited in line for 15 minutes to buy my plastic bags. the hotdog was good though they only had ketchup and mustard as toppings, no onions or hot peppers or anything, wtf?

anyways wish me luck, if it is that crowded again I'm gonna be sad. I'm going to buy 500 muscle relaxers, and some epsom salts, and maybe some kind of sweet potato chip my girlfriend was telling me about

crazysim
May 23, 2004
I AM SOOOOO GAY

Eltoasto posted:

90 minutes seems insanely long

It is, but it's meant to replicate a 7-8 hour cook. Higher pressure cookers can do it even faster than 90.

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

Chinatown posted:

so the packaged hard boiled eggs are a little lackluster. need salt+pepper or hot sauce to get any taste. I'm going to pickle most of them though.

I was pretty happy with the Kirkland brand hard boiled eggs, but yeah you should always toss some salt or something on them. Or do what we usually do, and slice them up on some fresh sourdough with meat and cheese for an open faced sandwich.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you
there's a coupon on the stroopwaffles right now

'coop on the 'stroops

ShortyMR.CAT
Sep 25, 2008

:blastu::dogcited:
Lipstick Apathy
I've been eating a Costco bag of veggie sticks for a week and I'm only half way. PbUC.

I'm healthy!

*eats 3 more lbs of veggie stix*

MisterOblivious
Mar 17, 2010

by sebmojo

The Walrus posted:

the hotdog was good though they only had ketchup and mustard as toppings, no onions or hot peppers or anything, wtf?

at some stores they keep the onions and kraut behind the counter in single serving containers and you have to ask for them

Renegret
May 26, 2007

THANK YOU FOR CALLING HELP DOG, INC.

YOUR POSITION IN THE QUEUE IS *pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt*

Cat Army Sworn Enemy
Our foot court was under renovations today. I wonder if we're getting something new.

They still had dogs so at least we had dinner for today.

dudeness
Mar 5, 2010

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
Fallen Rib

ShortyMR.CAT posted:

I've been eating a Costco bag of veggie sticks for a week and I'm only half way. PbUC.

I'm healthy!

*eats 3 more lbs of veggie stix*

Those things are delicious, probably because they're made out of potato so they're glorified potato chips, but drat they are good.

pnumoman
Sep 26, 2008

I never get the last word, and it makes me very sad.

Renegret posted:

Our foot court was under renovations today. I wonder if we're getting something new.

They still had dogs so at least we had dinner for today.

Do you already have self-checkout kiosks? Cuz if not, that's probably what they're doing.

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe
those veggie sticks arent even close to anything healthy lol

ShortyMR.CAT
Sep 25, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

dudeness posted:

Those things are delicious, probably because they're made out of potato so they're glorified potato chips, but drat they are good.

Potato is a vegetable right?!

Chinatown posted:

those veggie sticks arent even close to anything healthy lol

?!?!?!

Im Ready for DEATH
Oct 5, 2016

graventy posted:

The sheet cakes are a pretty great moist cake and a hell of a deal for 19 bucks.

this guy is a filthy liar

the sheet cakes are garbage. Deals are only good if the products are worth it. The sheet cake is so heavy on plasticy icing, and hardly any actual cake. It's gross and no one at your party will want to eat it. Don't spare bucks on cake. Get a nice cake from a bakery or something.

graventy
Jul 28, 2006

Fun Shoe
Nope, sorry, stand by the cake. I buy one for almost every dumb work party we have and always receive compliments. Plus they are game to write any dumb thing you can think of on there. It’s great.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
Also not a huge fan of the sheet cakes. But then I’m more of a pie guy anyway.

pezzie
Apr 11, 2003

everytime someone says a seasonal anime is GOAT

Just watch the best anime ever
I personally wouldn't get the sheet cake myself, but if served a slice I would enjoy it! I think it's alright!

Renegret
May 26, 2007

THANK YOU FOR CALLING HELP DOG, INC.

YOUR POSITION IN THE QUEUE IS *pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt*

Cat Army Sworn Enemy

pnumoman posted:

Do you already have self-checkout kiosks? Cuz if not, that's probably what they're doing.

Ohh maybe that's it

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

There is a ton of plain buttercream frosting on it which is strictly inferior to something like a cream cheese frosting, but it's a perfectly serviceable sheet cake.

Heffer
May 1, 2003

I just got this : https://www.costco.com/Olde-Thompson-Everything-Seasoning-for-Bagels-%2526-More%2C-11.5-oz.product.100485610.html and will try it tomorrow on eggs.

Primpin and Pimpin
Sep 2, 2011

I would buy and eat the sheet cake myself if I wouldn't feel so drat guilty and gluttonous doing so. I really like it for that "office/birthday party" niche of cakes and I do get excited when it is time for one of those events. For my Own celebration cake needs, I just go with the mousse tuxedo cake, it is superb for the price. Last time I went to the store they had their usually giant chocolate on chocolate on chocolate frosted cake down to just two layers instead of three, which I thought was cool. That cake is ridiculously rich and I can attest it makes a great breakfast cake. In the past I have seen them stock a red velvet cake and, being a red velvet enjoyer, thought it was quite good. I know at my first job, if you were going to be bringing in something for a party, it had better have been a Costco thing. There was nothing from the bakery that ever struck out for us from the cookies to the danish, but especially the pies (apple for sure!!).

BeastOfExmoor
Aug 19, 2003

I will be gone, but not forever.
IMHO, Costco sheet cake is p. decent if its at room temp, but if you don't let it get there it's a different beast. It's also too bad that you can't chocolate frosting with white cake or vise-versa.

The triple layer round chocolate cake Primpin is talking about is probably better. My wife and I actually used these as our wedding cakes when we got married. I really don't like the chocolate flakes on the outside though and I wish I could get them without it.

Ultimate Mango
Jan 18, 2005

BeastOfExmoor posted:

IMHO, Costco sheet cake is p. decent if its at room temp, but if you don't let it get there it's a different beast. It's also too bad that you can't chocolate frosting with white cake or vise-versa.

The triple layer round chocolate cake Primpin is talking about is probably better. My wife and I actually used these as our wedding cakes when we got married. I really don't like the chocolate flakes on the outside though and I wish I could get them without it.

At ours if you order in advance you can get whatever you want that they can make. It’s a pretty good deal. Cheap and cheerful, I’d say.

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

if you are willing to cross a bridge you have no hope of coming back on, buy everything bagels and cream cheese, then sprinkle some of that onto the cream cheese, effectively doubling the everything

Ravendas
Sep 29, 2001

Got my executive yearly 2% cashback check last week.

$204.

I seem to have spent a lot at Costco last year. Though a decent chunk of that was from getting carpet, which was like 3.5k or something.

Tim Whatley
Mar 28, 2010

They have this at Trader Joe's and it's called "Everything But The..." I put it on roughly everything I cook.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Ravendas posted:

Got my executive yearly 2% cashback check last week.

$204.

I seem to have spent a lot at Costco last year. Though a decent chunk of that was from getting carpet, which was like 3.5k or something.

Costco sells carpet?

Edit: I'll be damned
https://www.costco.com/Shaw-Carpet%2c-Hardwood-%2526-Laminate-Flooring.product.100014399.html

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

Has anyone got tires from costco? Is it cheaper than tire rack

ninjoatse.cx
Apr 9, 2005

Fun Shoe
Egg steamers are the fastest, best way to get perfect hard boiled eggs.

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

UltraRed posted:

Egg steamers are the fastest, best way to get perfect hard boiled eggs.

Yeah but then you have a gadget that only steam eggs and can't do anything else. Just boil them. Takes <10 minutes.

Ravendas
Sep 29, 2001

Meyers-Briggs Testicle posted:

I did, and I don't know.

They give you free tire rotations every 8k miles or so for the life of the tires. I took mine in a few weeks ago for that, and it got done while I was shopping. They also patched a leak for free, since one of the tires was low.

Though, afterwards I saw that one of the tires was registering a 0 on the PSI, so I went back in to let them know they broke something. They pulled it back in, replaced the sensor for free, and I was out again after maybe 20 minutes.

So, free rotations, free air fillups, free patching, and when they screw something up, they fixed it for free. All while I'm wandering the aisles. I

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you
I have bought many tires from costco for 3 or 4 vehicles and had good experiences.

Except the Scion TC. Self quoting

canyoneer posted:

Costco were big old jerks about changing tires on my Scion tC a couple years ago. Factory stock is 215/45ZR17, and they wouldn't sell me anything less than Z rated tires. That car's not coming anywhere near 145 mph unless I strapped an ACME rocket on top of it.

So that was kinda bogus. :mad:

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
The downside to Costco Tires is that the service bay is always full so you lose 2+ hours even if you're among the 1st in line.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Meyers-Briggs Testicle posted:

It's been discussed a bunch of times in the thread.

I bought my first set of tires from them but it was a big ol' pain in the rear end to get them rotated. Appointments were weeks out and even with an appointment it normally took around 2 or 3 hours for them to get them done no matter what time I went. I have a long commute so I would have to do this dance every other month or so.

Bought my second set at America's Tire/Discount tire and they were the same price as Costco, same free rotation/fill-up/flat fix whatever except I never waited more than 15 minutes to get in there for a rotation. Won't be going back to Costco again.

Gonna be dependent on your local store and how busy it is though.

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe
I go to a local tire place where all the tuners go and have always gotten better brand selection and pricing than at Costco.

ninjoatse.cx
Apr 9, 2005

Fun Shoe

Pennywise the Frown posted:

Yeah but then you have a gadget that only steam eggs and can't do anything else. Just boil them. Takes <10 minutes.

I guess it depends on how many eggs you consume. I put 4 on every day, take a shower, pop them out and have perfect med-hard boiled eggs every time.

ShortyMR.CAT
Sep 25, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
Discount Tires really isn't a bad place to go. Once you buy a full set from them you're in the SYSTEM :pcgaming: and they will patch, rotate, fill up blah blah for pretty much life. Make sure you bring them Costco sheet cake cuz the sheet cake owns.

*has had Costco sheet cake for 20 out of 29 birthdays*

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

UltraRed posted:

I guess it depends on how many eggs you consume. I put 4 on every day, take a shower, pop them out and have perfect med-hard boiled eggs every time.

Yeah if you're eating that many eggs then I can totally see using that. It can also probably used as a Peeps steamer!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

phosdex
Dec 16, 2005

I am at Costco right now waiting for snow tires to be put on. Ordered online almost 3 weeks ago, scheduled for today. Got here for my appt, got the new guy who fumbled around for 10 minutes to bring up my appointment. Tire center is busy as hell with temps next week sub freezing and chance of flurries. Was told 1.5 hours. Though now I'm not sure if he meant until they start on my car or it's done.

Last time I did tires I went to discount tire without an appointment and waited for about 2.5 hours. Then they put my wheels/tires on but somehow forgot to actually put air in. So then they made we wait another 30 to get my car into a bay to do that.

Anyway, eating a dog and soda (with free refill) now.

E: price-wise, it was slightly cheaper to get the tires through Costco than tire rack+install. And I live near a tire rack pickup place to get the $40 discount.

phosdex fucked around with this message at 18:47 on Oct 25, 2019