Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Running in Weekly Shonen Jump since December 2018, Chainsaw Man is an action manga by Tatsuki Fujimoto, most widely known for Fire Punch. Set in a Cold War era Japan haunted by armies of demons, it's one of the most violent and over-the-top of their current offerings, with a dark-but-goofy sense of humor. (A manga that starts with the hero discussing how much he got for selling one of his testicles on the black market in comparison to his other organs is not a manga that's subtle about its tone.)

Characters:

Denji is our hero. A broke teenager with no education, he took up demon hunting to pay off his dead father's debt to the Yakuza. The animal he's using as a weapon is Pochita, his best and only friend. Even if he's a Chainsaw Devil, he's a good dog.

Together, they kill Devils and make plans to achieve Denji's dreams: Having jam on bread, and maybe, some day, getting to touch a boob.

He likes people who like him!

Makima is Denji's superior, a Public Safety Devil Hunter. Mysterious and manipulative, she agrees to let him live and draw a government salary in exchange for doing exactly as she says.

She's also a movie buff.

Aki Hayakawa is one of Denji's coworkers, a straightlaced professional who joined up to get revenge on the Gun Devil, the legendary monster who killed his family... along with over a million people. All in about five minutes. He doesn't approve of Denji's casual attitude. Denji doesn't much like him either.

Makima makes them live in the same house, presumably because she finds it funny.

Power is a Fiend, a Devil that took up residence in a human corpse. As a Devil, she's incapable of lying, and wants to make sure everyone around her knows she's a genius with an IQ of at least 100 who's pretty much guaranteed to win the Nobel Prize.

She joined up with the Devil Hunters to find and rescue her pet cat.

Himeno is one of the most veteran Devil Hunters working for Makima. A chain smoker whose partners have a bad habit of dying on her, she tries to teach Denji the ropes before he joins them. She sold her eye to a ghost so she could use its hand to kill things.

Chainsaw Man is less than a year in, but it's already taking a unique approach to things, and seems to be finding an audience. Just another good find from the same editor who brought us Spy X Family.

(Seriously, you have to see the tournament arc)

The first three and the latest three chapters are available free online as part of Viz's offerings, with the archives available for just a couple bucks a month. (which also gets you access to One Piece, My Hero Academia, Dr. Stone, and much much more.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
Just started reading it last weekend and really enjoying it! I'm not quite caught up yet and I admit that I have cooled on it a fair bit since the events of Chapter 23 - 30, how that ended didn't set well with me,

but god I love the relationship between Denji and Power so much. Just these absolute dumb as loving rocks, feral duo that manage to get along. Operation Super Smart made me laugh really hard

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

i was a fire punch fan so seeing fujimoto immediately jump into a new series that is both more accessible and successful has been great. already crossing fingers for this to get a good animated adaptation

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
Denji and Power have an unbelievable amount of dumbass sibling energy

PringleCreamEgg
Jul 2, 2004

Sleep, rest, do your best.
I wish I had more friendships like Denji and Power's friendship.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
I love this series, it's bonkers even when a chapter is relatively chill

Mulderman
Mar 20, 2009

Did someone say axe magnet?
I'm amazed with what they can get away with.
And I love how Fujimoto uses panels.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
I hope Chainsawman doesn't devolve into generic shonen like a lot of series have

Mulderman
Mar 20, 2009

With Fujimoto behind the wheel I doubt that'll happen.

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010
Power letting Denji touch her boobs only to reveal she's wearing pads is possibly one of the best dumb jokes I've seen.

I'm mildly curious about why Power took that particular body and what happened to the previous owner, but it's probably unlikely to come up.

Expect My Mom posted:

Just started reading it last weekend and really enjoying it! I'm not quite caught up yet and I admit that I have cooled on it a fair bit since the events of Chapter 23 - 30, how that ended didn't set well with me,

but god I love the relationship between Denji and Power so much. Just these absolute dumb as loving rocks, feral duo that manage to get along. Operation Super Smart made me laugh really hard

I find it kinda funny how Power's got the whole cat motif going on when Cats are usually associated with cunning.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Cuntellectual posted:

I find it kinda funny how Power's got the whole cat motif going on when Cats are usually associated with cunning.

Having dealt with cats all my life, they tend to be stupid, but they try to pretend not to be. Meanwhile, dogs are somewhat less stupid, but they leave all that stupid on public display.

It's a pretty good match for Power and Denji, honestly.

Edsger W. Dijkstra
May 2, 2007
I got a Dorohedoro vibe from this manga, like, everything is hosed up, but everyone is mostly okay with it and takes it in stride.

TriffTshngo
Mar 28, 2010

Don't get it twisted who your enemies are.
chainsawman owns

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice
Chainsaw Man is the best.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
you set some awfully high expectations with a title like "Chainsaw Man" but dadgummit, it delivers

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

Hello, yes! Is being very good day for posting, no?
Denji and Power collectively have maybe half a brain cell, I love them so much.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

This series is so weird because it really feels like it is setting up a pretty standard shonen premise but takes a left turn pretty quickly since Denji is a loving moron.

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010
I was kinda disappointed Himeno died so quickly. She was pretty cool.

We didn't even get the names of most of the squad before they died!

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

muscles like this! posted:

This series is so weird because it really feels like it is setting up a pretty standard shonen premise but takes a left turn pretty quickly since Denji is a loving moron.
Jump mangas have a proud tradition of having absolute loving morons as MC's, though!

That being said, this slaps really hard.

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

I am the sexiest poster in the world!
I've been digging this, it's definitely a different flavor of manga that's nice to take in.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
Chainsawman 44

Well that didn't last long. Hope our boy doesn't get depressed when he realizes everyone who approaches him only wants his heart.

Mulderman
Mar 20, 2009

:stare:

There goes my hopes that she really likes Denji and wasn't just playing him.

Beam is a complete bro though.

Mulderman fucked around with this message at 11:50 on Oct 25, 2019

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Mulderman posted:

Maybe this is how devil's express love?

Ethiser
Dec 31, 2011

SyntheticPolygon posted:

I’m guessing she’s a human with a devil heart like Denji and the sword guy. She’s got the same teeth.

Mulderman
Mar 20, 2009

SyntheticPolygon posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_8WlTWnMEsE

So like this, except with explosions.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Ethiser posted:

I’m guessing she’s a human with a devil heart like Denji and the sword guy. She’s got the same teeth.

And the same style of activation.

Of course, she might even have liked Denji, if the offer was legitimate. He comes to the Soviet Union with her, does some work, gets a "normal" life with her by way of payment.

It's just that, with Makima in play, that couldn't happen. And getting the Chainsaw mattered a lot more than how some teenager Reze just met felt about things.

LostRook
Jun 7, 2013

chiasaur11 posted:

And the same style of activation.

Of course, she might even have liked Denji, if the offer was legitimate. He comes to the Soviet Union with her, does some work, gets a "normal" life with her by way of payment.

It's just that, with Makima in play, that couldn't happen. And getting the Chainsaw mattered a lot more than how some teenager Reze just met felt about things.

She pulls her pin out of her neck, which makes me wonder if maybe bomb devil replaced a different part of her body like her brain. Sword guy changed by unsheathing his hand, right? Maybe she can get multiple powers if she keeps replacing body parts.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

LostRook posted:

She pulls her pin out of her neck, which makes me wonder if maybe bomb devil replaced a different part of her body like her brain. Sword guy changed by unsheathing his hand, right? Maybe she can get multiple powers if she keeps replacing body parts.

Well in the Mangastream translation of Chapter 36 katana guy says his heart is the katana devil. Anyone with access to the official translation mind checking to see what it says? Mangaplus+ only goes back 3 chapters.

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010

Mulderman posted:

I mean 100% of the women who have said they like Denji want something from him even before that. :v:

I hope Reze sticks around though, she seems cool.

It also occured to me that Himeno having sold 'everything' means she's either in hell or at the very least going to be a meat puppet for the ghost devil.

Fantastic Flyer
Aug 9, 2017
Denji really needs to invest in some wristguards.

Elfface
Nov 14, 2010

Da-na-na-na-na-na-na
IRON JONAH
Nah, that's not gonna work. They'll just cut his arms off at the shoulders then. We need some real Nobel-Prize-winning thinking here.

Pec exercises and put the pull-start on a nipple ring.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Fantastic Flyer posted:

Denji really needs to invest in some wristguards.

That's ridiculous.

Wristguards cost money.

New wrists are free.

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010

dogsicle posted:

i was a fire punch fan so seeing fujimoto immediately jump into a new series that is both more accessible and successful has been great. already crossing fingers for this to get a good animated adaptation

Out of curiosity, what'd you like about Fire Punch? It's probably one of my least favorite manga that I actually completed.

e: For the record, I just didn't find any of the characters all that interesting or relatable.

I didn't like the ending either. It just seemed kind of pointless.

I think the main reason I like CSM more than FP is just that Agni is incredibly boring and his support cast isn't interesting enough to make up for that.

Also, everything about Agni having a pseudo incestuous relationship with a retarded Judah was kind of hosed up, even for me.

Cuntellectual fucked around with this message at 02:33 on Oct 27, 2019

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

after a lull in devil fighting, it's nice to be reminded that the designs in this are loving wild. hopefully this is more of a shark showcase than more denji stuff though

Cuntellectual posted:

Out of curiosity, what'd you like about Fire Punch? It's probably one of my least favorite manga that I actually completed.

it vibed with other stuff i've enjoyed, like there was definitely some Alita/Nihei/FotNS influence. the story isn't a redemption for Agni but the post-tree arc also kinda gels with stuff I've enjoyed about lovely characters reforming through pastoral lives in like Spirit Circle, To Your Eternity, Vinland Saga etc.

it's generally more detailed when it comes to the art, or at least the setting wrung more minute detail out of Fujimoto so reading the two is interesting from a progression/change angle. also has some absolutely bonkers action scenes. the trademark humor is still there and arguably better? i don't feel like Chainsaw Man has been so blatantly wasting pages and panels on extended visual gags or non-sequiturs compared to FP, like the 3+ pages of Togata driving as they're repeatedly killed/killing their attacker etc. that sort of disregard for time or format are definitely core things to the appeal i think, since overall FP is not the most coherent. you get poignant moments here and there like Agni confronting Domu or the whole conceit of playing "roles," but the pacing goes in fits and none of those moments expand out into a full-series philosophy or anything. imo Togata is really the driving force and center of appeal for the series but i also enjoy San's fanaticism. the ending gets a shrug from me, but it comes after 80 chapters of stuff that was interesting and weird (if not enjoyable) so my overall feeling on the series is still positive. it's an incredibly strange thing within the context of Shonen Jump and i'm glad Fujimoto was able to do it before creating something more focused and appealing like Chainsaw Man.

the Judah stuff didn't really factor to me since nothing happens until after 10-11 years when she's lucid and has regained enough memory to know she's not Luna. from Agni's end i guess it could be weirder since he has a problem getting lost in his "roles" but i wasn't giving this much thought or scrutiny having come through Behemdorg's slave ownership, the rape/coercion of women from Neneto's village/Behemdorg refugees, and multiple cannibal camps.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Cuntellectual posted:

e: For the record, I just didn't find any of the characters all that interesting or relatable.

I didn't like the ending either. It just seemed kind of pointless.

I think the main reason I like CSM more than FP is just that Agni is incredibly boring and his support cast isn't interesting enough to make up for that.

Also, everything about Agni having a pseudo incestuous relationship with a retarded Judah was kind of hosed up, even for me.

As someone who also liked it for some reason, I think the main reason is that I found it "interestingly weird." I had no idea where it was going and I also liked how it kept relatively straight to the "this guy is experiencing constant agony" premise (to the extent that I felt uncomfortable just reading it).

So it's not so much that I thought it was really good, but I found it to be better than most other random manga simply by virtue of being interesting and surprising.

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010
Overall fire punch bothers me because it's pretty close to being something I'd like but there's something I can't quite put my finger on that doesn't sit well with me about it. There were parts I found funny, but overall maybe it was just too dark? Compared to some of the other really dark-tone things I've liked it's not as funny as Lisa, way more drawn out than Devilman, and the characters don't really deserve what happens to them as much as in Drakengard.

Maybe it's something like that. Like I said, not quite sure what it is, but there's just something about it.

Also about Judah, I thought she was still brain damaged enough to basically be going off of what Agni told her until she returned to San and Neneto's village even if she was past the point where she could only repeat what other people said to her and didn't need to be constantly supervised.

On Chainsawman, the future devil said to Aki he's not going to live his full two years and that his death would be something the future devil would find hilarious, presumably meaning it's pretty unpleasent.

I wonder if he's going to find out Makima had some idea of the attack happening and didn't bother to warn them or anything (which directly lead to Himeno dying) and snap.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

i don't have the official TL unfortunately but the FA one has Judah, before the village stuff, kiss Agni and then say "We're not actually siblings, are we? I'd more or less figured it out. After all, there's no way I wouldn't be able to remember a brother I loved so much."

but this is only shortly after they've timeskipped so hard you don't get to really feel the change, on top of her showing up in some pages between then and not really giving that sense either. so i get why it would be offputting (Agni's relationship with Luna was already weird too) or just feel kinda paper thin.

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010

dogsicle posted:

i don't have the official TL unfortunately but the FA one has Judah, before the village stuff, kiss Agni and then say "We're not actually siblings, are we? I'd more or less figured it out. After all, there's no way I wouldn't be able to remember a brother I loved so much."

but this is only shortly after they've timeskipped so hard you don't get to really feel the change, on top of her showing up in some pages between then and not really giving that sense either. so i get why it would be offputting (Agni's relationship with Luna was already weird too) or just feel kinda paper thin.

Yeah, I didn't really get that impression so I guess it's at least a bit better if Judah was at least functional. Even if he definitely did have her dressing up in fetish outfits before, that's... Not as bad?

dogsicle posted:

it vibed with other stuff i've enjoyed, like there was definitely some Alita/Nihei/FotNS influence. the story isn't a redemption for Agni but the post-tree arc also kinda gels with stuff I've enjoyed about lovely characters reforming through pastoral lives in like Spirit Circle, To Your Eternity, Vinland Saga etc.

Not sure if you're familiar with the game at all, but I remember one analysis of LISA the Painful saying how the point of the story wasn't that Brad was a good person but that he did have the potential to do better, and for all the drug or trauma induced violence he couldn't help himself from comitting, he managed to make some people's lives marginally better or at least tried to.

I think that point kind of holds true with Agni too. He definitely does a lot of pretty horrible things, but he manages to achieve some good. I'd probably have been happier with it if the story ended with Agni at the factory instead of... Whatever the hell happened with San at the end. Or the very ending possibly implying Judah really WAS Luna in the movie theatre afterlife? I'm bad at reading comprehension, it was way too confusing for me. :shrug:

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013

Pierson posted:

Chainsaw Man is the best.

The future is the best. :colbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Great first post OP. I always appreciate effort posts

Bomb Devil's design rules extremely hard. Thank goodness for beam. I really like that her Grenade Pin necklace has been there from the start, really neat foreshadowing.

e: Nice shoutout to the viz archive but imo also worht putting in it's onl 1.99 a month to read those series in full in every country except china and JP. not just the free chaps