Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

I said come in! posted:

This doesn't really mean much! Anthem is also in the top 5 best selling games of 2019.

I would say that Massive continuing to push out free content updates as planned is not indicative of "mostly abandoning" their roadmap, and certainly not comparable to what happened with Anthem.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

exquisite tea posted:

I would say that Massive continuing to push out free content updates as planned is not indicative of "mostly abandoning" their roadmap, and certainly not comparable to what happened with Anthem.

If they got back on track, then great! But the whole situation with rolling back content with no plans to add it back, was a super bad look when it happened. I am still not convinced that Division 2 has a healthy playerbase. In my experience with online games, there only been active players in the end game, is the exact opposite of healthy.

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

You also have to remember regarding Anthem being a best seller that they get to count people playing through Origin Access as "sales", they did that for both Anthem and BF5.

ashpanash
Apr 9, 2008

I can see when you are lying.

Not only that, but don't they consider what stores buy from the publisher as sales? We've seen plenty of examples of stores that considerably over-bought anthem and have bins full of it, just trying desperately to get a measly few bucks out of them.

Cutedge
Mar 13, 2006

How can we lose so much more than we had before

I mean from what I heard about The Division 2 (which I bought on PC and barely played), they really screwed up the end game which I guess is a staple of the entire live service genre.

I didn't realize until I watched that Jimquisition that Anthem actually sold well. If that is the case, what exactly is Bioware's reasoning for dropping it? Not enough MTX sales? Does this game even have things you can spend real money on? An orange version of the already orange iron man suit?

edit: oh, the origin thing. so sales are bs. gotcha

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Cutedge posted:

I mean from what I heard about The Division 2 (which I bought on PC and barely played), they really screwed up the end game which I guess is a staple of the entire live service genre.

I didn't realize until I watched that Jimquisition that Anthem actually sold well. If that is the case, what exactly is Bioware's reasoning for dropping it? Not enough MTX sales? Does this game even have things you can spend real money on? An orange version of the already orange iron man suit?

Origin AND Graphics Card pack ins. It's messing with the stars rather than genuine success.

Collapsing Farts
Jun 29, 2018

💀
My impression was that there was a lot of initial interest. A lot of people played the game as it launched

But there was zero reason to stay so everyone left. You can't make money on a game everyone left

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

chiasaur11 posted:

Origin AND Graphics Card pack ins. It's messing with the stars rather than genuine success.

Division 2 was also an AMD pack in. I got it with a ryzen processor. I played up to WT2, fun enough game but I didn't really see any point in doing anything at level cap. (well, I guess technically I wasn't at level cap if I hadn't advanced the world tiers enough?)

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable
coward, an infinite and endless liar, an hourly promise breaker, the owner of no one good quality.

https://youtu.be/_Ojd0BdtMBY?t=4
Div 2 was a lot of fun and then suddenly extremely boring and the raid completely sucked balls.

Edit: If IRL friends ever get into it I'd play again.

Tetrabor
Oct 14, 2018

Eight points of contact at all times!

Cutedge posted:

...If that is the case, what exactly is Bioware's reasoning for dropping it?

High development costs, failure to succeed as a 'Games as a Service'.

Easiest way to distill the issue is to think of it like an EA Executive: "Is this game selling as well as FIFA?"

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

hobbesmaster posted:

They had a clueless player insert to ask "what the gently caress is going on" but as you said they cut everything down. The best/worst part is that theres no meaningful difference in content. Its not like say Witcher 2 or Alpha Protocol where you get locked out of sections of the game based on decisions.

This is a page late and not Anthem related but I’ll never turn down an opportunity to get mad about Mass Effect 3.

The fact that Shepherd was on auto-pilot with their lines was annoying.

Mass Effect 1, we’re you’re dictating pretty much every response to a conversation vs ME3 where it felt like you got to make a choice every 30 minutes of dialogue and it would be 50:50 as to whether it’s remotely related to the prompt description.

NeurosisHead
Jul 22, 2007

NONONONONONONONONO

Cutedge posted:

Officially Bioware hasn't dropped it. They've abandoned their roadmap and made the laziest possible low effort content additions, and regularly go several weeks at a time without engaging with their community. But they still maintain when asked that they're committed to supporting the game. It's mind boggling that the last few stans still believe it.

FrostyPox
Feb 8, 2012

I don't know who Jim Sterling is, but I'm not sure he could be more obnoxious if he tried. The content is good and accurate and interesting, but holy poo poo.

ZeusCannon
Nov 5, 2009

BLAAAAAARGH PLEASE KILL ME BLAAAAAAAARGH
Grimey Drawer
Think thats partially the point

5er
Jun 1, 2000

He's rather self aware, and I think in his free time he likes being a 'heel' wrestler for whatever local backyard wrestling federation is going on at his location. Seems to sum up and explain everything well enough.

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib
The content is the same regurgitated pablum we've all heard 100 times. If you want to save yourself some time, just imagine what Sterling's take on anything would be and you'll be right every time.

Excelsiortothemax
Sep 9, 2006

5er posted:

He's rather self aware, and I think in his free time he likes being a 'heel' wrestler for whatever local backyard wrestling federation is going on at his location. Seems to sum up and explain everything well enough.

The best part is that his entire amateur wrestling career started because he needed latex for a short bit on a show and it just spiralled out from there.

I love my husky brit(who lives in the southern US openly as a lefty gay man so if your wondering why he might have a chip on his shoulder that’s part of it)

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib
He has a wife and at least one kind and lives in a poly relationship.

Also, he's an outrage Youtuber, so of course most of his videos are going to be about faux outrage.

Lambert fucked around with this message at 16:20 on Oct 23, 2019

Moola
Aug 16, 2006
shut up Lambert

SpazmasterX
Jul 13, 2006

Wrong about everything XIV related
~fartz~

I said come in! posted:

This doesn't really mean much! Anthem is also in the top 5 best selling games of 2019.

Sounds like we deserve a sequel.

SpiritOfLenin
Apr 29, 2013

be happy :3

Jim's bi as far as I know. I do remember vaguely some specific Jimquisition where he made fun of homophobes a lot though and talked about sucking cock for five minutes straight or something like that.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

SpazmasterX posted:

Sounds like we deserve a sequel.

Our fate is worst than a Anthem sequel, it's Dragon Age 4.

Moola
Aug 16, 2006

I said come in! posted:

I stole their breeches!!!!!!!!

Tetrabor
Oct 14, 2018

I said come in! posted:

I couldn't finish the third one because I got tired of encountering random world-mobs that spawned out of thin air every 10 loving seconds.

Collapsing Farts
Jun 29, 2018

💀
It's always been perplexing to me why Bioware feel like they need to restructure their games SO MUCH between sequels. Couldn't they just have made another qaint fantasy adventure questing game after Dragon Age: Origins? Why did they try to revamp everything? Why did they revamp everything again for Dragon Age: Inquisition? It felt like playing a single player MMO

They did the same thing with Mass Effect Andromeda. Suddenly massive portions of the game was about racing around in desolate landscapes fighting braindead A.I. They tried to bring back the open world segments from ME:1 and just forgot the quality of everything else

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

with dragon age 2 they wanted to crap out a sequel in practically under a year and that's why that turned out the way it did. with dragon age inquisition they had to start using a completely new game engine (frostbite) that was intended for first person shooters. with mass effect andromeda, the entire project had absolutely no direction or goal from the get go and through the first 3 or so years of the 5 year development cycle.

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004
johnny jesus and the infield fly rule
After Dragon Age II and ESPECIALLY after Mass Effect 3, BioWare have basically zero confidence in any of their ideas. They're unable to iterate on anything and operate from a position of cringing apology, hoping only that a technical snafu won't become a meme gif

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable
coward, an infinite and endless liar, an hourly promise breaker, the owner of no one good quality.

https://youtu.be/_Ojd0BdtMBY?t=4
Can't wait for the NPC to start talking to you then their lips curl upwards infinitely, wrapping behind their head and revealing just two floating eyes and teeth

Pulcinella
Feb 15, 2019
Probation
Can't post for 11 days!

Cowcaster posted:

with dragon age 2 they wanted to crap out a sequel in practically under a year and that's why that turned out the way it did. with dragon age inquisition they had to start using a completely new game engine (frostbite) that was intended for first person shooters. with mass effect andromeda, the entire project had absolutely no direction or goal from the get go and through the first 3 or so years of the 5 year development cycle.

Is Frostbite the engine where it’s so designed around FPS games that all character objects have to have a gun attached to them? I think I remember one of the Need for Speed devs complaining that all their cars have an invisible gun model inside them.

Martout
Aug 8, 2007

None so deprived

Pulcinella posted:

Is Frostbite the engine where it’s so designed around FPS games that all character objects have to have a gun attached to them? I think I remember one of the Need for Speed devs complaining that all their cars have an invisible gun model inside them.

dunno about that one but they did have to make everything from scratch including basic save game functionality and inventory etc.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!

Cowcaster posted:

But if they wanted to make a game in such a short time why did they make so many changes to the engine and combat and even the structure of the story?

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004
johnny jesus and the infield fly rule

2house2fly posted:

But if they wanted to make a game in such a short time why did they make so many changes to the engine and combat and even the structure of the story?

they have incompetent project management

Tetrabor
Oct 14, 2018

Pattonesque posted:

they have incompetent project management

I imagine they could have done so much more if they had stuck with the Unreal engine.

moist turtleneck
Jul 17, 2003

Represent.

Dinosaur Gum
god this game was promising

let someone copy the jump jet animation and make the game it was meant to be

Moola
Aug 16, 2006

moist turtleneck posted:

god this game was promising

lol

NeurosisHead
Jul 22, 2007

NONONONONONONONONO
As a concept, without taking into account the actual game that was released I would agree that there was promise

Gobblecoque
Sep 6, 2011

Moola
Aug 16, 2006

NeurosisHead posted:

As a concept, without taking into account the actual game that was released I would agree that there was promise

hard disagree

ashpanash
Apr 9, 2008

I can see when you are lying.

What's left at :bioware: (above the line) couldn't make a good game if they tried.

So they decided not to try at all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan

NeurosisHead posted:

it was destiny 2 with one more class and better powers, that just isn't enough for "promise", that's stagnation and decay