Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Liar Lyre
Jun 3, 2011

Here to deliver
~Bad Opinions~

Is the Hollywood Pictures catalogue still controlled by Disney, or does it operate independently? Kino has a few titles like Deep Rising and Baby Legend of the Lost Secret that are technically Disney.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

CPL593H posted:

Really what I want to know is if there's going to be a mad dash to get a lot of titles on blu-ray as Disney starts putting them out of print. I'd be real surprised if they ever allowed boutique labels to license a Fox title ever again. This whole thing is just miserable.

But but but the X-Men can be in the Marvel movies now! :suicide:

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

floating 26" off da ground. BURR!
I just watched Scarface and American Gangster this summer but the UHDs are gonna have me rewatching again v soon while I bake. They’re gorgeous.

Cemetry Gator
Apr 3, 2007

Do you find something comical about my appearance when I'm driving my automobile?

CPL593H posted:

Really what I want to know is if there's going to be a mad dash to get a lot of titles on blu-ray as Disney starts putting them out of print. I'd be real surprised if they ever allowed boutique labels to license a Fox title ever again. This whole thing is just miserable.

Why would you think that? Disney bought Fox for Star Wars and some Marvel.

Disney has licensed their games to GOG. If they do that, I'm sure they're going to let Criterion keep Kagemusha.

I thought Disney was involved with Criterion for a while (stuff like the Royal Tennebaums).

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Liar Lyre posted:

Is the Hollywood Pictures catalogue still controlled by Disney, or does it operate independently? Kino has a few titles like Deep Rising and Baby Legend of the Lost Secret that are technically Disney.

Kino Lorber made a deal initially just for the ABC Films library (which includes most of the Selznick International films) plus any Touchstone/Hollywood titles that haven't had a release since VHS/laserdisc. This expanded to more titles that did previously get DVD from Disney themselves and even Blu-ray releases from Mill Creek/Echo Bridge.

Per their reps, they don't forsee any issues with those films, but they (along with Indicator, Shout! Factory, Arrow, Twilight Time, and Eureka) have confirmed they've been unable to make any new Fox-specific deals. Apparently, whatever Criterion has been releasing this year are leftovers from deals made before the buyout.

It doesn't sound imminent, but it's worth pointing out Arrow hasn't released anything from Fox since 2017 (nothing in the US), Shout's deals with the Fly and Omen series were done earlier, and Indicator only had a handful of titles anyways.

As for Criterion, it wouldn't surprise me if Disney let some of Fox's distribution stuff lapse like other studios have. Naked Lunch will probably revert to HanWay Films, Kagemusha to Toho, The Leopard to Pathe, and maybe others.

Egbert Souse fucked around with this message at 17:26 on Oct 25, 2019

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I know what you did last summer, and frankly I am displeased.

Cemetry Gator posted:

Why would you think that? Disney bought Fox for Star Wars and some Marvel.

Disney has licensed their games to GOG. If they do that, I'm sure they're going to let Criterion keep Kagemusha.

I thought Disney was involved with Criterion for a while (stuff like the Royal Tennebaums).

Because they're pricks and their recent decision to just about destroy repertory cinema says they either don't care about people seeing the back catalog or are otherwise doing this to make more of their content on the upcoming streaming app exclusive to them.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

CPL593H posted:

Because they're pricks and their recent decision to just about destroy repertory cinema says they either don't care about people seeing the back catalog or are otherwise doing this to make more of their content on the upcoming streaming app exclusive to them.

Porque no los dos?

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
The tammy n trex upgrade emails are going out. Got mine not long ago

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

Timby posted:

Porque no los dos?

That's exacly what I'm saying. They're probably going to be as lovely about home video as they are theatrical screenings.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

CPL593H posted:

On the other hand, WB, Sony, and Universal are apparently working with these repertory theaters to offer their libraries for screenings.

Cemetry Gator
Apr 3, 2007

Do you find something comical about my appearance when I'm driving my automobile?

CPL593H posted:

Their whole back catalog thing with theaters is weird. I'm guessing you have uncaring corporation applying rules in a weird way that doesn't benefit anybody. I don't see preventing people from going to a theater as competing with their platform, and I can't see how any reasonable person would.

Key word - reasonable. That doesn't describe Disney's actions. But I can't see someone ever saying "well, I was going to go to Hulu to watch Alien, but since it's playing at my local theater, I guess I'll just give up on streaming entirely!"

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

CPL593H posted:

I think it's actively worse. None of the Fox stuff is going to be on the streaming app, and if they didn't care about people seeing the back catalog, they'd be fine with the status quo and just let the money keep rolling in for almost zero cost and effort.

No, they actually care quite a lot, and they explicitly don't want you to be able to see the back catalog. Because if you're watching old things, you're not watching the new things Disney's trying to push, and that's bad and wrong and means they failed.

e: And I guarantee you the repertory thing is, internally, explicitly being treated as a way to kill the last few indie theaters and make sure the entire theater landscape is willing to kowtow. Drafthouse will probably be allowed to survive and get some measure of special privileges just to keep a fig leaf over it, but otherwise...

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

Cemetry Gator posted:

Their whole back catalog thing with theaters is weird. I'm guessing you have uncaring corporation applying rules in a weird way that doesn't benefit anybody. I don't see preventing people from going to a theater as competing with their platform, and I can't see how any reasonable person would.

Key word - reasonable. That doesn't describe Disney's actions. But I can't see someone ever saying "well, I was going to go to Hulu to watch Alien, but since it's playing at my local theater, I guess I'll just give up on streaming entirely!"

Keep in mind that this is the same company that threatened to sue a small daycare because they had Mickey Mouse painted on the wall.

Cemetry Gator
Apr 3, 2007

CPL593H posted:

Keep in mind that this is the same company that threatened to sue a small daycare because they had Mickey Mouse painted on the wall.

I'm not saying that is not their thinking, I'm saying that if that were their thinking, it's galaxy brained stupid.

My honest guess, based on what I read is that Disney doesn't want a paid screening of old films because that means one less theater showing the new stuff.

It's still stupid, since honestly, the availability of theaters is not the thing keeping me from seeing the latest Avengers film. But I'm guessing that's how they're playing. Which is bad and dumb.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

MacheteZombie posted:

The tammy n trex upgrade emails are going out. Got mine not long ago

I just want them to hurry up and make the November release announcement :argh:

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
Uhd/bluray questions: does the bluray disc usually come separate than the uhd disc? If they're the same disc do older bluray players have trouble playing them?

I have a region free older sony player and don't really want to get a uhd player yet since I'm fairly broke and don't even have a setup for uhd quality stuff anyway. That said there's a few movies I wouldn't mind picking up in uhd/bluray combos for the future

Iron Crowned posted:

I just want them to hurry up and make the November release announcement :argh:

Itd be more fun to open the box not knowing tho!

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

MacheteZombie posted:

Uhd/bluray questions: does the bluray disc usually come separate than the uhd disc? If they're the same disc do older bluray players have trouble playing them?

I have a region free older sony player and don't really want to get a uhd player yet since I'm fairly broke and don't even have a setup for uhd quality stuff anyway. That said there's a few movies I wouldn't mind picking up in uhd/bluray combos for the future

UHDs typically contain only the movie, and they include the standard BD version, so you can play the BD in your blu player, if you don't have a UHD player yet

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

Cemetry Gator posted:

I'm not saying that is not their thinking, I'm saying that if that were their thinking, it's galaxy brained stupid.

My honest guess, based on what I read is that Disney doesn't want a paid screening of old films because that means one less theater showing the new stuff.

It's still stupid, since honestly, the availability of theaters is not the thing keeping me from seeing the latest Avengers film. But I'm guessing that's how they're playing. Which is bad and dumb.

That was just one guess I was throwing out there but whatever the reason I think it's something they're doing to gain more control of the market be it theatrical and/or home exhibition. What Lord Of Booty said about them trying to disrupt indie theaters is a more likely scenario. In any case it's utter garbage.

Cemetry Gator
Apr 3, 2007

CPL593H posted:

That was just one guess I was throwing out there but whatever the reason I think it's something they're doing to gain more control of the market be it theatrical and/or home exhibition. What Lord Of Booty said about them trying to disrupt indie theaters is a more likely scenario. In any case it's utter garbage.

Your guess was also mentioned in a Variety story. I don't think it's completely unreasonable that some corporate stooge would think that way.

The thing that's really bad is that they broke arrangements that some theaters have made, and they've left everyone in the dark as to what they are doing and why.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

Cemetry Gator posted:

Your guess was also mentioned in a Variety story. I don't think it's completely unreasonable that some corporate stooge would think that way.

The thing that's really bad is that they broke arrangements that some theaters have made, and they've left everyone in the dark as to what they are doing and why.

What's really odd to me is that this was a thing people were talking about a few months ago and then they annouced that it was a miscommunication and they weren't going to do it. And then they waited a while and said they would. I wonder if this was some kind of infighting at the company or they just heard the rumors and thought it was actually a pretty good idea.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Be warned that for UHDs, it's hit and miss whether the Blu-ray uses the same master as the 4K disc. For example, The Big Lebowski uses the same old transfer that's been out for 20 years on the Blu-ray, while the 4K uses the proper remaster.

Sony is usually the only one who bothers to make sure the 4K and regular Blu use the same source.

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

Is there any way to filter the sale titles only? Some of these prices are great but gently caress scrolling though dozens of pages alphabetically

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

DeimosRising posted:

Is there any way to filter the sale titles only? Some of these prices are great but gently caress scrolling though dozens of pages alphabetically

The link goes directly to the sale page - there's a couple hundred titles.

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

Egbert Souse posted:

The link goes directly to the sale page - there's a couple hundred titles.

Yeah I mean can I filter those in any way, I couldn’t manage

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

CPL593H posted:

What's really odd to me is that this was a thing people were talking about a few months ago and then they annouced that it was a miscommunication and they weren't going to do it. And then they waited a while and said they would. I wonder if this was some kind of infighting at the company or they just heard the rumors and thought it was actually a pretty good idea.

I feel like this kind of supports my theory. They want to do this without people realizing so it just kind of looks like indie theaters abruptly died apropos of nothing. Every time it gets talked about too much, they'll kick the can down the road a few months and try again, and see if they can slip the radar, because "Disney killed indie movie theaters" is not a narrative they want any industry people hearing.

They want less Scorseses and Coppolas, not more.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

I feel like this kind of supports my theory. They want to do this without people realizing so it just kind of looks like indie theaters abruptly died apropos of nothing. Every time it gets talked about too much, they'll kick the can down the road a few months and try again, and see if they can slip the radar, because "Disney killed indie movie theaters" is not a narrative they want any industry people hearing.

They want less Scorseses and Coppolas, not more.

I'm sure it's a heavy blow but I wonder if this really will have enough of an effect to kill indie theaters. I feel like it won't because the rest of the major studios don't have this problem and there is plenty of new content coming out. In any case it's pretty horrible how badly the entire film industry is being shaken because one company has made itself into this giant monolith with a bunch of worthless movies that people are eating right up.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
I mean I don’t think this alone is going to kill indie theaters. If other studios continue to allow rep screenings you still have enough films to fill a program. I’m sure Disney doesn’t care about indie theaters but I don’t see those theaters being entirely reliant on Fox screenings to stay in business.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

Maxwell Lord posted:

I mean I don’t think this alone is going to kill indie theaters. If other studios continue to allow rep screenings you still have enough films to fill a program. I’m sure Disney doesn’t care about indie theaters but I don’t see those theaters being entirely reliant on Fox screenings to stay in business.

That's my thoughts on it for the most part. But I think they might care about indie theaters a bit in regards to them being any screens people will see movies on. This will at least hurt those theaters.

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth
Disney's repertory rules suck when it comes to programming where there's no way around a Disney film. A local theater has been showing David Lynch's entire filmography and for The Straight Story, which is Disney owned, they had to book a screening room at a camera rental store because they couldn't show it for a single night at the theater.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

I think it was posted before, but Peter Jackson is working on 4K restorations of his first four films for a box set - Bad Taste, Meet the Feebles, Braindead, and Heavenly Creatures.
https://bloody-disgusting.com/home-video/3537363/peter-jackson-says-first-four-films-will-restored-4k-loaded-never-seen-bonus-contents/

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!

Egbert Souse posted:

I think it was posted before, but Peter Jackson is working on 4K restorations of his first four films for a box set - Bad Taste, Meet the Feebles, Braindead, and Heavenly Creatures.
https://bloody-disgusting.com/home-video/3537363/peter-jackson-says-first-four-films-will-restored-4k-loaded-never-seen-bonus-contents/

Never seen Meet the Feebles but I'd buy it for those other three because they're all fantastic movies.

e: 50-60 hours of behind-the-scenes of Dead Alive?! I mean, I doubt all of it's going to be in the box set but holy poo poo.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I like the idea of a 4k restoration of Bad Taste.

edit: That article is a year old.

zer0spunk
Nov 6, 2000

devil never even lived

King Vidiot posted:

Never seen Meet the Feebles but I'd buy it for those other three because they're all fantastic movies.

e: 50-60 hours of behind-the-scenes of Dead Alive?! I mean, I doubt all of it's going to be in the box set but holy poo poo.

I accidentally saw dead alive because of the cover of the VHS. My local non-franchise shop had an "offbeat" wall where everything was a dollar rental and god bless whatever poor film student took that video clerk gig and put up all those amazing picks on the "quirky" wall.
I remember being really confused when they announced he was the director of the LOTR stuff cuz I had only seen dead alive at that point.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

Has the original uncut Braindead ever been released in the US? I remember seeing the R-rated cut in high school and holy poo poo is it trash. They edited out like 15-20 minutes of the movie. Even the US unrated has about five minutes missing.

caligulamprey
Jan 23, 2007

It never stops.

CPL593H posted:

Has the original uncut Braindead ever been released in the US? I remember seeing the R-rated cut in high school and holy poo poo is it trash. They edited out like 15-20 minutes of the movie. Even the US unrated has about five minutes missing.
Not on home video, but every time I've seen it in a theater for revival screenings it's always been the NZ Braindead cut. Jackson's always claimed that the US uncut version is his director's cut, but I like having those extra intestine shenanigans.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

caligulamprey posted:

Not on home video, but every time I've seen it in a theater for revival screenings it's always been the NZ Braindead cut. Jackson's always claimed that the US uncut version is his director's cut, but I like having those extra intestine shenanigans.

The R-rated version pretty much shows you none of the lawnmower scene.

zer0spunk
Nov 6, 2000

devil never even lived
The VHS version I saw had the lawnmower scene, and the sink intensines dance...and I was in the US. I think it was 97-98'

it was this which I guess was a special uncut edition from 97

https://www.amazon.com/Dead-Alive-VHS-Timothy-Balme/dp/6303257879

zer0spunk fucked around with this message at 23:07 on Oct 27, 2019

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

zer0spunk posted:

The VHS version I saw had the lawnmower scene, and the sink intensines dance...and I was in the US. I think it was 97-98'

it was this which I guess was a special uncut edition from 97

https://www.amazon.com/Dead-Alive-VHS-Timothy-Balme/dp/6303257879

I'm guessing you saw the US unrated cut. The US had two video versions. There was the unrated and the R-rated. The R rated version is heavily cut and does include the lawn mower scene but the carnage of that is more implied than seen. The unrated version still has a few minutes of cuts but is still more than ten minutes longer than the R rated version. The only version I ever saw was the R rated which is really bad. I'd always wanted to see the complete film but I just never got around to it.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

I read the synopsis on Wikipedia and I can't even imagine how an R-rated cut would work without being incomprehensible. To be honest, I'm not a big fan of grossout horror, but that synopsis makes Salo seem like a Leo McCarey film.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

I think we should call the Avengers.

Funnily enough, the BBFC originally considered giving Braindead a '15' rating because they felt the gore was too comical to scare anyone. They ultimately went with an '18' purely on pragmatic grounds, arguing that most people would expect such a gory film to be rated accordingly.