Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Yeah the writing is just terrible. it's honestly pretty entertaining it's just extremely dumb. I don't know if I'd call the premise lazy though. It's honestly pretty bonkers especially as it goes on.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

old.flv
Jan 28, 2017

A good lad who likes his Anna's.

BaldDwarfOnPCP posted:

Meanwhile try Living with Yourself

There are some spooky moments I’m like 3 shows in

This is not what I wanted and it's not spooky at all but we're enjoying it so thanks!

wormil posted:

Hatchet movies are on Prime. Also checkout Microwave Massacre if in the mood for some cheese.

Thank you - I'll check it out

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back
Just saw Insatiable season 2 is out. I hope it is off the wall as season 1.

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica

old.flv posted:

This is not what I wanted and it's not spooky at all but we're enjoying it so thanks!

Thank you - I'll check it out

When Paul Rudd wakes up in a grave next to several graves

Not spooky?

old.flv
Jan 28, 2017

BaldDwarfOnPCP posted:

When Paul Rudd wakes up in a grave next to several graves

Not spooky?

not really haha but whatever we're enjoying the show

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!

nate fisher posted:

Just saw Insatiable season 2 is out. I hope it is off the wall as season 1.

Just started but it's not trying so hard to be edgy and is just being a good show.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Living With Yourself was overall good, but I think it waited way too long to make OG Paul Rudd even remotely sympathetic. There was just absolutely no reason to root for him at all, until like, halfway through the final episode and it felt pretty unearned.

Honest Thief
Jan 11, 2009
Wounds on netflix is alright, but a disappointment after the director's debut movie. There's a lot of handwaving to toxic masculinity and what not but it barely does more than just showing Arnie Hammer being an rear end in a top hat, so it's just there, aimless and gory.
The horror imagery is pretty memorable though.

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back

Honest Thief posted:

Wounds on netflix is alright, but a disappointment after the director's debut movie. There's a lot of handwaving to toxic masculinity and what not but it barely does more than just showing Arnie Hammer being an rear end in a top hat, so it's just there, aimless and gory.

I think it is Hulu only in the states. I have read the short stories collection it is based on and the whole collection is amazing. Shame that the reception to the movie has been lukewarm. I might give it a watch this week.

I plan to check out Hereditary on Prime first. I watched (rented) the director’s new movie Midsommar and was blown away. It seems the movie is hit and miss with people, but it might be my favorite horror movie since It Follows. Curious to see if Hereditary is just as good (it seems they cover some of the same things).

nate fisher fucked around with this message at 15:23 on Oct 21, 2019

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Hereditary is fantastic. Personally I like it even more than Midsommar.

SpiritOfLenin
Apr 29, 2013

be happy :3

Honest Thief posted:

The main character being an enormous unlikable rear end in a top hat didn't do the movie any favors. Made me not really care about anything that happened to him. And there's no closure on her girlfriend who also seems to get hosed up by whatever demon or something comes to possess the main character at the end. I liked some of the imagery and such, but I feel like the movie just sort of ended slightly early, like there should have been a bit more plot there. I feel like its fine if a horror movie doesn't explain what exactly happened as long as there is some closure - in this movie, the explanation is vague and there's not really any closure. The guy gets possessed by some demon I guess, the end. Oh and I guess the rear end in a top hat with the flag of the south gets hosed as well, but again, an rear end in a top hat who you don't care about. The girlfriend is the most sympathetic character, and she just gets dropped from the plot near the end.

Field Mousepad
Mar 21, 2010
BAE

nate fisher posted:

I think it is Hulu only in the states. I have read the short stories collection it is based on and the whole collection is amazing. Shame that the reception to the movie has been lukewarm. I might give it a watch this week.

I plan to check out Hereditary on Prime first. I watched (rented) the director’s new movie Midsommar and was blown away. It seems the movie is hit and miss with people, but it might be my favorite horror movie since It Follows. Curious to see if Hereditary is just as good (it seems they cover some of the same things).

Hereditary is my favorite recent horror flick, it's really really good. It's nothing like Midsommar though so be warned there

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I wouldn’t say it’s nothing like midsommar.

lament.cfg
Dec 28, 2006

we have such posts
to show you

veni veni veni posted:

I wouldn’t say it’s nothing like midsommar.

Hereditary and Midsommar are fraternal twins

old.flv
Jan 28, 2017

Hereditary is hosed up

beanieson
Sep 25, 2008

I had the opportunity to change literally anything about the world and I used it to get a new av
Midsommar is also hosed up

rngd in the womb
Oct 13, 2009

Yam Slacker
They're both so great and so hosed up. Can Ari Aster make a movie every year?

edit: Can we get some recs with great smash cuts up in here?

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back
Speaking of horror I did finally watch Gasper Noe's Climax last week on Prime. I went in to it thinking that it was a movie where the drugs lead to insane dancing and some drama between the dancers (you know maybe Gasper chilled out some). Nope once the drugs kicked in I was led on a handheld horror show. That said I really liked it, despite not being a big fan of his other movies. The opening dance sequence is amazing (I had to watch it twice). Also the cinematography is great, but it does feel like at times it is filmed by a talented director trying to show off all the cool things he learn in film school (much like PTA in Boogie Nights). That said I didn't mind cause I am a sucker for stuff like that. It is a tough movie recommend which is true of all of Noe's movies. I will say my wife actually liked it, and I bet this would be the only one of his movies she will ever say that about.

lament.cfg
Dec 28, 2006

we have such posts
to show you

rngd in the womb posted:

They're both so great and so hosed up. Can Ari Aster make a movie every year?

The trailer for the new Pet Sematary has a loving fantastic smash cut of the dad's face watching his kid get smashed by a truck to his face at the funeral, but that's not actually in the movie, and the movie sucked

upgunned shitpost
Jan 21, 2015

there's something completely wholesome and something entirely inhuman about patrick wilson, great casting choice for in the tall grass

Sock The Great
Oct 1, 2006

It's Lonely At The Top. But It's Comforting To Look Down Upon Everyone At The Bottom
Grimey Drawer
Midsommar is an A24 flick right? So that should be on Prime, hopefully at some point in the near future.

lament.cfg
Dec 28, 2006

we have such posts
to show you

Sock The Great posted:

Midsommar is an A24 flick right? So that should be on Prime, hopefully at some point in the near future.

It currently is, go watch

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.

Paul ReiserFS posted:

It currently is, go watch

I mean it costs money.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry

rngd in the womb posted:

Edgar Wright's filmography?

married but discreet
May 7, 2005

Taco Defender
American Werewolf in London, obviously.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Sock The Great posted:

yeah A24 stuff usually goes up on Prime 1-2 months after it hits rental. Sometimes it's almost right away though. Not sure what their deal is with Amazon but their movies always get put on prime sooner than later.

Speaking of A24, High Life went up on Prime and I was expecting to really love it but couldn't get into it. Actually didn't even finish it. I'll probably give it another shot eventually but it just wasn't doing it for me despite being my jam on paper.

Alec Eiffel
Sep 7, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

veni veni veni posted:

yeah A24 stuff usually goes up on Prime 1-2 months after it hits rental. Sometimes it's almost right away though. Not sure what their deal is with Amazon but their movies always get put on prime sooner than later.

Speaking of A24, High Life went up on Prime and I was expecting to really love it but couldn't get into it. Actually didn't even finish it. I'll probably give it another shot eventually but it just wasn't doing it for me despite being my jam on paper.

How far did you get? Once the narrative shifts to when the whole crew is alive, it gets good (bleak as hell though).

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

I thought I was completely over the zombie genre, but One Cut of the Dead was hilarious and drat near perfect.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Alec Eiffel posted:

How far did you get? Once the narrative shifts to when the whole crew is alive, it gets good (bleak as hell though).

I think around half way? Definitely was well into when the crew was alive. It wasn't bad, it just wasn't grabbing me and I really didn't even know what to make of that crazy rear end masurbation scene. I'll probably restart it this weekend. Something just wasn't clicking maybe I was just too hungover for a movie like that.

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates

Titans is drat boring

Alec Eiffel
Sep 7, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

veni veni veni posted:

I think around half way? Definitely was well into when the crew was alive. It wasn't bad, it just wasn't grabbing me and I really didn't even know what to make of that crazy rear end masurbation scene. I'll probably restart it this weekend. Something just wasn't clicking maybe I was just too hungover for a movie like that.

If you ain’t feelin it, you ain’t feelin it.

married but discreet
May 7, 2005

Taco Defender

Enos Cabell posted:

I thought I was completely over the zombie genre, but One Cut of the Dead was hilarious and drat near perfect.

I mean, is it even a zombie movie?

Raskolnikov2089
Nov 3, 2006

Schizzy to the matic
Watched Head Count. Surprisingly good psychological thriller/horror. I'd skip the trailer and just go blind.

My only complaint is the end, wish it had just stayed a slow burn.

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

married but discreet posted:

IMO, no

thelaughingman
Mar 14, 2005
oooh I like madness!

Has anybody watched the second season of haunted at all?

Edit: I love spooky documentary tv stuff, but season one was so over the top fake.

thelaughingman fucked around with this message at 00:08 on Oct 25, 2019

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Everytime I try to fly I fall
Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

married but discreet posted:

The first third of it is. There’s no way to not pitch it to someone you think would like it as anything but that with out spillin the beans.

Ammanas
Jul 17, 2005

Voltes V: "Laser swooooooooord!"

Raskolnikov2089 posted:

Watched Head Count. Surprisingly good psychological thriller/horror. I'd skip the trailer and just go blind.

My only complaint is the end, wish it had just stayed a slow burn.

Really? I thought it was incredibly dull and didn't reward viewers with its sluggish pace. The idea was fine and there are 2 interesting moments in the film, the rest is just a slog of idiot assholes.

Sarchasm
Apr 14, 2002

So that explains why he did not answer. He had no mouth to answer with. There is nothing left of him but his ears.

Enos Cabell posted:

Was lucky enough to see this in a theater, and it was a real crowd pleaser. Only cost $27,000 to make, which is a real testament to the value of a clever script and a talented crew.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry
Eddie Murphy is giving a poo poo again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

That Dang Dad
Apr 23, 2003

Well I am
over-fucking-whelmed...
Young Orc
I have Shudder though Amazon. Does anyone know if I'll get to participate in the Joe Bob Special tonight at 9pm EST or is that exclusive to Shudder qua Shudda