Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

Trump records 'strongly corroborate' new sex assault claims, accuser says
https://www.yahoo.com/gma/trump-records-strongly-corroborate-sex-assault-claims-accuser-213830657.html

Lily Allen slams record label for not addressing sexual assault claims in her memoir
https://news.yahoo.com/lily-allen-memoir-record-label-sexual-assault-allegations-120041216.html

Michelle Pfeiffer reveals she had #MeToo moment at age 20 with 'high-powered' Hollywood figure: 'I look back and cringe'
https://www.yahoo.com/entertainment/michelle-pfeiffer-metoo-experience-182212276.html

Thysia Huisman describes alleged rape by Jean-Luc Brunel
https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2019/sep/07/thysia-huisman-describes-alleged-by-jean-luc-brunel

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wendell
May 11, 2003

https://www.buzzfeednews.com/article/amberjamieson/harvey-weinstein-heckled-comedian-event-women-actors

“A woman comedian was booed and two attendees kicked out after they protested the appearance of disgraced Hollywood producer Harvey Weinstein at an event for young performers in lower Manhattan on Wednesday night.
Weinstein turned up with an entourage to watch Actor's Hour, a monthly event "dedicated to artists" at the Downtime bar in the Lower East Side.”

https://twitter.com/ambercrollo/status/1187456327955734529?s=21

https://twitter.com/ambercrollo/status/1187388554101571591?s=21

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

Wendell posted:

https://www.buzzfeednews.com/article/amberjamieson/harvey-weinstein-heckled-comedian-event-women-actors

“A woman comedian was booed and two attendees kicked out after they protested the appearance of disgraced Hollywood producer Harvey Weinstein at an event for young performers in lower Manhattan on Wednesday night.
Weinstein turned up with an entourage to watch Actor's Hour, a monthly event "dedicated to artists" at the Downtime bar in the Lower East Side.”

https://twitter.com/ambercrollo/status/1187456327955734529?s=21

https://twitter.com/ambercrollo/status/1187388554101571591?s=21

God drat, good for her, and gently caress everyone who was booing her.

Wendell
May 11, 2003

Yeah, I can’t believe the gall of that guy shouting “shut up!” Infuriating. Disgusting.

inferis
Dec 30, 2003

Weird how it was all dudes heckling her and then all women that were supportive.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

Somehow I didn't think there'd be people defending Harvey Weinstein but here we are.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

While this is not a case of sexual assault, Steven Seagal (who does have accusations against), is still a dick.

https://twitter.com/ingridoliver100/status/1187749113644900353?s=20
https://twitter.com/ingridoliver100/status/1187752091990794242?s=20

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

steven seagal is what happens if you huff your own farts too long (and your shidded pants)

sponges
Sep 15, 2011

Seagel is old and fat and he’s still doing these awful action movies and it’s just embarrassing

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

I think my mass effect is broken

sponges posted:

Seagel is old and fat and he’s still doing these awful action movies and it’s just embarrassing

And just like the fat kid who wears his shirt into the pool, his attempts to hide the fact that he's old and fat just brings more attention to it.

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

i can't believe harvey weinstein can go places without getting spat on or punched or whatever

proof that if you're rich enough you can warp reality around you to make people think that you aren't an abominable rapist

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
Well he’s probably surrounded by buff goons I wouldn’t want to get an arm dislocated by trying to spit on him

Protip: try to find a balcony you can spit from safely or throw pennies from

inferis
Dec 30, 2003

DC Murderverse posted:

proof that if you're rich enough you can warp reality around you to make people think that you aren't an abominable rapist

I think the truth of it is much worse, they all know he is but don’t care

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...

GrandpaPants posted:

Somehow I didn't think there'd be people defending Harvey Weinstein but here we are.

Yeah for all the gamers rising up not one seemed to care about Weinstein if only because it played into their “(((Hollywood))) is trash” agenda

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006
Does this really belong here?

I know there have been cases of very young adults being basically groomed in their teens... but lady is twenty-six years old. You can find it weird and unpack the gender dynamics of it, but at the end of the day, it's just two adults getting married.

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang

Timeless Appeal posted:

Does this really belong here?

I know there have been cases of very young adults being basically groomed in their teens... but lady is twenty-six years old. You can find it weird and unpack the gender dynamics of it, but at the end of the day, it's just two adults getting married.

No, it really doesn't. It's creepy as gently caress that it was posted here without any greater context.

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

floating 26" off da ground. BURR!
“Creepy as gently caress.” I think you’re misusing that.

Here, let me help by providing you an example of something creepy as gently caress:

https://twitter.com/seanoconnz/status/1186344149181579266?s=21

Coffee And Pie
Nov 4, 2010

"Blah-sum"?
More like "Blawesome"
I mean it’s weird but at a certain point isn’t a woman allowed to make her own choice?

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

Coffee And Pie posted:

I mean it’s weird but at a certain point isn’t a woman allowed to make her own choice?

Is this a Louis CK quote?

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang

Coffee And Pie posted:

No, she's not. The arbiters of public morality have judged it.

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

goons have to be told that marrying someone not even half your age is creepy

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
But it's not sexual assault.

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang
Sans even a shred of indication to the contrary she's an adult exercising her informed free will. You may think it's icky, and I may think it's icky. But it has no place in a thread about rapists. Posting it here is projecting personal morality onto two apparently happy adults and saying they should be ashamed, and shamed, because you personally have an issue with their private relationship. That is creepy and can gently caress right off.

Lovely Joe Stalin fucked around with this message at 04:49 on Oct 26, 2019

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

Rhyno posted:

But it's not sexual assault.

well yeah but you can make that observation without getting weird about it like joe is here

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang
Yes, I'm definitely the weird one for thinking that throwing people on the Weinstein pile for getting married is hosed up.

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 246 days!
confuscius disapproved of such relationships, except in the case of being without a male heir

with the genders reversed, he was extremely suspicious and generally disapproving

and yet, the i ching, on which he commented on, considered the former more auspicious only in that it could produce offspring, with no harm intrinsicly present in either scenario

Hodgepodge fucked around with this message at 05:17 on Oct 26, 2019

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

Lovely Joe Stalin posted:

Yes, I'm definitely the weird one for thinking that throwing people on the Weinstein pile for getting married is hosed up.

This thread is not a court of law, he'll probably survive.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Brother Entropy posted:

well yeah but you can make that observation without getting weird about it like joe is here

I agree that it's creepy as gently caress and the thread title says "culture of Hollywood".

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

I think my mass effect is broken

Brother Entropy posted:

goons have to be told that marrying someone not even half your age is creepy

Creepy and gross? Perhaps, but unless anyone can actually provide evidence beyond a lovely joke in a tweet, we can assume that they're both consenting adults. If she's into senior citizens, who are we to judge?

Metis of the Chat Thread
Aug 1, 2014

There's a lot of jokes out there about Leonardo DiCaprio, who has basically never dated a woman older than the age of 25. I definitely think the overvaluing of youthful women is part of the culture of Hollywood that deserves to be examined.

Not saying anything about that particular relationship just posted, but it does exist in a particular context.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.

professor metis posted:

There's a lot of jokes out there about Leonardo DiCaprio, who has basically never dated a woman older than the age of 25. I definitely think the overvaluing of youthful women is part of the culture of Hollywood that deserves to be examined.

Not saying anything about that particular relationship just posted, but it does exist in a particular context.

I didn't realise he'd ever been over 25. I thought he was a cartoon character like Bugs Bunny or Elijiah Wood...

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

DiCaprio is rapidly becoming the new Jack Nicholson both in career and reputation.

The Peccadillo
Mar 4, 2013

We Have Important Work To Do
drat remember how the Polanski thing happened at Nicholson's house while Angelica Houston was there

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Sodomy Hussein posted:

DiCaprio is rapidly becoming the new Jack Nicholson both in career and reputation.

You mean the leader of the pussy posse?

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

BioEnchanted posted:

I didn't realise he'd ever been over 25. I thought he was a cartoon character like Bugs Bunny or Elijiah Wood...

In a sense, he hasn't. Fame and/or money stunts your mental growth and you essentially remain forever at whatever mental age you had when you "made it".

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
What does a 60 year old man get out of marrying a 26 year old woman?

At the end of the day Dennis Quaid could probably end up with any of thousands of breathtakingly gorgeous women in their 30’s, 40’s and 50’s. Have seen Carmen Electra or Heather Locklear lately? It absolutely could be about more than just having a deeply unbalanced power dynamic in the relationship where the older man is in charge, but if not that, why?

Like Ok, sure a 26 year getting swept off her feet by a famous and rich movie star is extremely Hollywood, but I’m kind of surprised that in a thread that discusses sexual dynamics and power dynamics so readily that we can’t have a discussion about what this relationship represents?

What does a man his age even have to talk to with a 26 year old? What perspectives and axis are they bonding over? On its face it just seems somewhat transactional.

Full disclosure, I’m dating a 26 year old, but I’m 31, and the gaps in our interests and youth culture seems pretty massive to me. She’s dated men in their 40’s and 50’s before, rich doctors and business executives, and they basically always break it off when it stops being about just having sex and going to dinner and buying her stuff.

I don’t think Dennis Quaid raped his new wife, I’m not accusing him of sexual assault, but if the “Culture of Hollywood” such as it exists, can foster this relationship or Leanoardo’s revolving door, aren’t those just tiny normalizations of misogyny and power imbalances that lay the groundwork for weinsteins to go unchecked and unpunished? Nobody speaking up, or calling it out, or I dunno maybe interviewing the new Mrs. Quaid like “how’d you guys meet, what are your interests, what do you have in common?” that sort of stuff.

Also, as an aside, 26 is not the staggering paragon of maturity some people seem to be proposing and someone being a consenting adult doesn’t mean that she’s automatically making healthy decisions. I think this also contributes. It’s not a sexual assault or an actor and a child, she’s a grown woman and can make her own decisions, as though grown women can’t be victimized or groomed or whatever.

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang

Bust Rodd posted:

Nobody speaking up, or calling it out, or I dunno maybe interviewing the new Mrs. Quaid like “how’d you guys meet, what are your interests, what do you have in common?” that sort of stuff.

Would you be happier if she wore the age difference on her dress in scarlet numerals?

Thinking they should have to justify themselves to you, by passing some sort of relationship interrogation is incredibly hosed up. You have absolutely no right to know anything about their relationship and they absolutely do not and should not be beholden to judgemental morality policing weirdos on the internet to explain themselves.

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

floating 26" off da ground. BURR!

Lovely Joe Stalin posted:

Would you be happier if she wore the age difference on her dress in scarlet numerals?

Thinking they should have to justify themselves to you, by passing some sort of relationship interrogation is incredibly hosed up. You have absolutely no right to know anything about their relationship and they absolutely do not and should not be beholden to judgemental morality policing weirdos on the internet to explain themselves.

drat, Joe. How big is the age gap with the woman you’re dating? Or is she not born yet?

Bust’s post was very articulate and you’re coming at him with ad hominem and strawman arguments. He’s right to call it a very weird power dynamic. People critique when a 40yo woman gets married to an 80yo rich guy. In that case, they’re blaming the woman and calling her a gold digger. So, can’t we point the lens at a relationship where the dynamic is switched but maybe similar? I’m not even accusing them of being like a Connor Roy where it’s strictly transactional. I’m just saying something like this should make people pause and say “hey, what’s the deal with you two?” No one is asking for their sex tape or that they get matching tattoos.

At the end of the day, we’ll see how long it lasts and if it disintegrates, what the details are.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
It’s a grey Area. I would have posted Courtney stodden for sure though

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang

Boywhiz88 posted:

Bust’s post was very articulate and you’re coming at him with ad hominem and strawman arguments

Bust's saying that adults should have to explain, to Bust and the public at large, why they should be allowed to marry each other so that they can be judged as to whether or not their relationship is valid.