Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CaptainCrunch
Mar 19, 2006
droppin Hamiltons!

Riot Carol Danvers posted:

I thought the book made it clear through dialogue that they'll see each other in the end, and I don't just mean the "see you on the flip side, sugarlips" bit.

“Someday you’ll die and get buried in the ground, and we can work this out then."

Then again, I could be reading something into it that isn't really there, and she's just pressing Harrow to stop talking and fight. Also godamn that whole chapter makes my eyes wet.

Ah... I suppose I missed that, or it didn’t sink in while I was breathlessly reading the end.
Thanks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Riot Carol Danvers
Jul 30, 2004

It's super dumb, but I can't stop myself. This is just kind of how I do things.

CaptainCrunch posted:

Ah... I suppose I missed that, or it didn’t sink in while I was breathlessly reading the end.
Thanks.

I've read the book twice now and reread those last couple of chapters like 3 or 4 times because I'm a nutball, it's not you!

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

This is how you communicate with a fellow intelligence: you hurt it, you keep on hurting it, until you can distinguish the posts from the screams.

Larry Parrish posted:

anyway the concentration camp thing is whatever. if you need your sci fi author to be vocally anti-concentration camp you pretty much cant read any sci fi published in the last 20 years. theres very little leftist media out there in general, and in sci fi especially the best you can get outside of aforementioned soviet era novels is like, stuff by liberals that think big companies are bad.

Have you read any sci fi published in the last 20 years? I can think of 20 writers off the top of my head who are vocally anti-concentration camp and most of them would be common sights in bookstores these days.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

General Battuta posted:

Have you read any sci fi published in the last 20 years? I can think of 20 writers off the top of my head who are vocally anti-concentration camp and most of them would be common sights in bookstores these days.

Yeah, most of the authors I've found on Twitter after liking their stories on Analog are left wing if not at least liberal.

JTDistortion
Mar 28, 2010

Ben Nevis posted:

Might want to check out Sorcerer of the Wildeeps by Kai Ashante Wilson. It's a novella about on a group of soldiers for hire guarding a shipment through a dangerous area, so very much classic fantasy there. But the focus is on the relationship between one of the men and the captain. Pretty brief read, but I liked it.

If I'm remembering correctly, this one ends with one of the guys suddenly deciding to commit suicide by monster and the other guy once again depressed and alone, right? Because gently caress that gay tragedy poo poo.

Ben Nevis
Jan 20, 2011

JTDistortion posted:

If I'm remembering correctly, this one ends with one of the guys suddenly deciding to commit suicide by monster and the other guy once again depressed and alone, right? Because gently caress that gay tragedy poo poo.

Honestly, it's been a couple years and I don't 100% remember how the end shakes out, specifically deciding to commit suicide, I don't recall there being like a ton of choice. While I remember him dying, a quick review of goodreads makes it seem that at least some people found it ambiguous.

Cardiac
Aug 28, 2012

So is the payoff in Seven Surrenders worth it?
Too like the lightning suffered from the usual sci-fi issue ie interesting ideas, bad execution. It was pretty much a pretentious 18th century costume drama disguised as sci-fi without any proper payoff from the first book. The story was meandering, characters bland, the different POVs didn’t add anything to the story and the gender thing was not done in an interesting way.
Still, I found it interesting enough to consider reading the next one.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Larry Parrish posted:

theres very little leftist media out there in general, and in sci fi especially the best you can get outside of aforementioned soviet era novels is like, stuff by liberals that think big companies are bad.

Ken McLeod and China Mieville would both like a word.

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

feedmegin posted:

Ken McLeod and China Mieville would both like a word.

I think Steven Brust is also a trot?

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

genericnick posted:

I think Steven Brust is also a trot?

He is but it isn't obvious in his fiction the same way it is with Mieville. Good twitter follow though.

JTDistortion
Mar 28, 2010

Ben Nevis posted:

Honestly, it's been a couple years and I don't 100% remember how the end shakes out, specifically deciding to commit suicide, I don't recall there being like a ton of choice. While I remember him dying, a quick review of goodreads makes it seem that at least some people found it ambiguous.

I'm pretty sure I remember that it was explicitly stated that he didn't even try to defend himself despite having time to do so. It's ambiguous in the sense that we don't really know if he could have successfully defended himself, but the part where he doesn't even try was framed as being deliberate. I'm also pretty disinclined to give the author the benefit of the doubt. I gave them a second chance and started reading one of their other books; it opened with a guy screaming and trying to throw himself into the sea to follow the ship that was taking his lover away forever. The rest of the book appeared to be flashback stuff about how they fell in love, so I dropped it pretty much immediately and have never regretted it.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
Is there a general Rivers of London thread or would it all be in here?

I’m sure I remember an Urban Fantasy thread a few years back that it got caught under but I can’t seem to spot that now.

team overhead smash
Sep 2, 2006

Team-Forest-Tree-Dog:
Smashing your way into our hearts one skylight at a time

There's no Rivers of London specific thread. Urban Fantasy thread is https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3636466&pagenumber=281#lastpost

I liked Rivers of London. Nothing that blew my mind but a good solid read unlike Dresden Files which I found myself slogging through. Both were read long enough ago though that I can't remember why I had those opinions though :shrug:.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

team overhead smash posted:

There's no Rivers of London specific thread. Urban Fantasy thread is https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3636466&pagenumber=281#lastpost

I liked Rivers of London. Nothing that blew my mind but a good solid read unlike Dresden Files which I found myself slogging through. Both were read long enough ago though that I can't remember why I had those opinions though :shrug:.

Oh hey, thanks! I think I got as far as ‘The Dresden Files’ in the title and kept scrolling.

Xenix
Feb 21, 2003

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

He is but it isn't obvious in his fiction the same way it is with Mieville. Good twitter follow though.

It's pretty explicit in several of his Taltos books.

a foolish pianist
May 6, 2007

(bi)cyclic mutation

This is what Michael Moorcock had to say about Bester's Tiger! Tiger! (i.e. The Stars My Destination):

quote:

6. Tiger! Tiger! by Alfred Bester
This also has a touch of space opera, but baroque rather than techno. This corporation-run Earth was done in 1955. Nestle, Heinz and IBM families rule. Byzantine future politics. Characters you fall in love with. I read this on a rainy day in Paris at the old Mistral, 1957, and it made me think SF might be worth a go. The opening's a Dickens quote, much of the plot is Jacobean Dumas. Revenge, redemption, social analysis in the context of McCarthyism. All the best American SF is from lefties encountering the madness of the 50s.

I read it in maybe 2002, and it remains one of my favorite SF works.

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

This is how you communicate with a fellow intelligence: you hurt it, you keep on hurting it, until you can distinguish the posts from the screams.
It’s good but I’ve been leery of rereading it because iirc it contains a seemingly obligatory never-remarked-upon sexual assault by the protagonist. That doesn’t make it Forever Attainted In All Eyes, just makes me uneager to go back.

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

This is my periodic reminder to the thread that Steven Brust was kicked out of the 4th Street writers workshop for stalking and sexually harassing female writers. gently caress that guy.

Lunsku
May 21, 2006

General Battuta posted:

It’s good but I’ve been leery of rereading it because iirc it contains a seemingly obligatory never-remarked-upon sexual assault by the protagonist. That doesn’t make it Forever Attainted In All Eyes, just makes me uneager to go back.

The Demolished Man is the better Bester anyway! :shobon:

Really should just read both again, I don't think I've touched them this decade.

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

Kesper North posted:

This is my periodic reminder to the thread that Steven Brust was kicked out of the 4th Street writers workshop for stalking and sexually harassing female writers. gently caress that guy.

Yeah, I didn't know if this had made the rounds yet, but he had to be pretty decisively ejected for his conduct. Whether or not that alters your reading (it does mine) it's worth knowing he's a sex pest.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

General Battuta posted:

You do recall correctly, he rapes her and then she... starts working with him to help him with his non-rape stuff? It's kinda gross. Which sucks, because the book is really good beyond that.

quantumfoam
Dec 25, 2003

General Battuta posted:

Don't blame you. Alfred Bester's work aged badly in that regard.
Read Bester's Demolished Man instead.

Sexual assault and main characters having massive mental breakdowns/psychotic breaks with reality are in almost all of Alfred Bester novels (Demolished Man, Golem 1000, Tiger Tiger/Stars My Destination, Computer Connection, Rat Race). Which makes sense because IRL Bester had a massive mental breakdown, so he wrote what he knew I guess.
The one Bester book, The Deceivers, where the main character doesn't mentally snap is so hackneyed and terribly written, the person reading it is likely to have a psychotic break instead.

Overall, I'd rate Demolished Man as the best Alfred Bester novel, with Stars My Destination/Tiger Tiger taking 2nd place. All other Bester novels have a steep dropoff in story/writing/coherence quality.

Kesper North posted:

Brust is the obsessed with Alexandre Dumas cosplaying creep right?
Tried getting into Brust's books/stories a few times but always found the writing repellent.

freebooter
Jul 7, 2009

Just finished The Last Policeman by Ben H. Winters and enjoyed it a lot. It's about a cop trying to solve a suicide he suspects is really a murder when there's only six months to go until life on earth is wiped out by an incoming asteroid. More of a detective novel than a scifi novel, but still a good amount of worldbuilding as to how society would react if we knew there was six months left and there was nothing we could do about it.

One thing which would have been better was if the suicide did, in fact, turn out to be a suicide and being convinced it was a murder was just the protagonist's own way of coping, by finally getting to be a proper detective on a proper case. Which is where I thought it was going to go for a bit, but it doesn't.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

StrixNebulosa posted:

My review of Steel Frame by Andrew Skinner:

Rook is the protagonist, a women who flies giant mechas, who spent her career rescuing downed jockeys from battlefields and getting them to medics. PTSD caught up with her, and a traumatic incident put her in jail, into a chain-gang on a giant starship stationed in the broken part of outer space.

The Eye. The ocean, a region of space that has so much debris and strange physics going on that it's an ocean instead of void. Time works differently here. The various megacorps who constantly fight each other for the rest of space have a tense truce in the Eye, because it's all unexplored and there are treasures inside. Maybe.

So Rook has been taken from prison and put into this region of space and because her megacorp isn't sure this place is profitable, its ships are crewed by an increasing ratio of convicts.

This is where she meets the Juno. Her new giant mech, her shell. It's an antique, a prototype that's violent when she first meets it: it's rebelling, breaking from its restraints and trying to eke out a bit of space in its hangar. The only reason they can talk it down from more violence is because Rook is given its old jockey's helmet, which she uses to talk to it - but it forgives the deception and takes her as its pilot.

Juno's old and traumatized from losing its old pilots. Rook's traumatized from losing jockeys she couldn't rescue in time. They're both traumatized but they fly well together, and if you as a reader cannot approach these two characters ready to try to understand them, this book won't work. It's entirely from Rook's POV.

The plot? The plot is: Rook's part of a four-man unit of jockeys sent to explore some of the ruins in the ocean. They don't so much find horror as it finds them, and the plot escalates in action and horror: there's a devastating virus, there's an imprisoned thing, there are the other megacorps, and there's Rook's unit: Hail, another convict who leads them all. Salt, a giant of a man who carries his own trauma. Locust. Andrade.

This book goes surprisingly wide, filling in details about the wars outside the ocean, where these broken convicts came from. It fills in the story of the megacorp they work for, the ones they're aiming against, everything.

The book stays narrow, staying in Rook's head and following only what she's involved in.

It's so deep, though. Rook is so, so compelling and understandable, and the Juno alien in the right ways, understandable in the right ways.

I didn't know I could find a sci-fi book that hits everything I want: military sci-fi action, deep introspective psychological drama, horror, alien things, etc. Everything in this book sings just right and I didn't know it could exist without me having to write it.

Author? You did good.

Reader of this review? You gotta read this book. You gotta. The prose is hypnotic and you could drown in it. You deserve to enjoy this book.

Just finished this and anyone not currently reading it is Making A Mistake.

I have no idea why a centuries-old, rusting space dreadnought is such a satisfying setting.

quantumfoam
Dec 25, 2003

Hahahahaha.

Dean Ing's Single Combat: Quantrill, Book 2 is available as an audio-book apparently.
Wondering how horrified or professional the narrator stayed during the exceptionally WTF "obese not-Diane Sawyer newscaster/secondary series villain trying to seduce an 600+ kilogram mutated russian boar" subplot when narrating Single Combat.

navyjack
Jul 15, 2006

freebooter posted:

Just finished The Last Policeman by Ben H. Winters and enjoyed it a lot. It's about a cop trying to solve a suicide he suspects is really a murder when there's only six months to go until life on earth is wiped out by an incoming asteroid. More of a detective novel than a scifi novel, but still a good amount of worldbuilding as to how society would react if we knew there was six months left and there was nothing we could do about it.

One thing which would have been better was if the suicide did, in fact, turn out to be a suicide and being convinced it was a murder was just the protagonist's own way of coping, by finally getting to be a proper detective on a proper case. Which is where I thought it was going to go for a bit, but it doesn't.

The next two are good but it stays really bleak

Ninurta
Sep 19, 2007
What the HELL? That's my cutting board.

quantumfoam posted:

Hahahahaha.

Dean Ing's Single Combat: Quantrill, Book 2 is available as an audio-book apparently.
Wondering how horrified or professional the narrator stayed during the exceptionally WTF "obese not-Diane Sawyer newscaster/secondary series villain trying to seduce an 600+ kilogram mutated russian boar" subplot when narrating Single Combat.

They were paid in Vodka. Lots, and lots of Vodka. And Percocet.

Groke
Jul 27, 2007
New Adventures In Mom Strength

navyjack posted:

The next two are good but it stays really bleak

I rather admire the way he chose to end the series.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer
Those are still in my TBR list.

Just finished up The Sleep Experiment by Jeremy Bates, and while it was ok, it wasn't fantastic. I dunno, I just had high hopes since it's one of my favorite creepypastas out there. All in all not really much horror or action until like the last 20 pages of the book. I'd rank it firmly a 3 star. Not bad, not great, but readable.

Weird, and has a decent take on the whole sleep experiment outcome and reasons, but still just not that terrific of a read.

He's got some "WORLD'S SCARIEST" something or other books, like places? I think, where it's about campers at that russian mountain pass, or the japanese haunted suicide forest. Oh yea, the island of the doll heads as well. Might give one of those a shot to see if the action kicks off a bit faster.

Currently reading Mythical : Stone Soldier by C.E. Martin. It's not fantastic but it's kinda... sort of like David Conyers' Harrison Peel series meets The Arcadian series by Greig Beck. Only about a third of the way into the book and he's already zapped a kid in the head with a tazer to take out a telepath, so it's at least entertaining.

Apparatchik Magnet
Sep 25, 2019

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

withak posted:

Just finished this and anyone not currently reading it is Making A Mistake.

I have no idea why a centuries-old, rusting space dreadnought is such a satisfying setting.

Endorse, it’s good, folks.

quantumfoam
Dec 25, 2003

Ninurta posted:

They were paid in Vodka. Lots, and lots of Vodka. And Percocet.

Not even that would be enough. Because, uh, that subplot is fully carried through in Single Combat and the obese not-Diane Sawyer's plan works. It works too well. shudder.
Maybe the narrator got an amazing contract extension or won a workplace grievance with his job and was given the "narrate Single Combat" assignment in revenge. Narration suddenly changing to a text2speech robot voice, or that subplot being edited by the narrator on-the-fly is possible I guess. That subplot is made worse or somewhat dumbly hilarious because it includes multiple pov narratives from the boars viewpoint too.

Started reading Mack Reynolds Of Godlike Power, and I can tell it's going to be super-preachy terrible in that special way Mack Reynolds wrote. Haven't actively disliked the main characters of a book this much since Children of Time and less recently, Cryptonomicon.

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug
Picked up the first two Murderbot books. Holy moly. Both look to be about 100 pages, if that. One was softbound for $15, and the other hardcover for $16.

WTF.

a foolish pianist
May 6, 2007

(bi)cyclic mutation

Philthy posted:

Picked up the first two Murderbot books. Holy moly. Both look to be about 100 pages, if that. One was softbound for $15, and the other hardcover for $16.

WTF.

Yeah, I bought the first one, but I'm waiting for some kind of collection to get any more.

Sarern
Nov 4, 2008

:toot:
Won't you take me to
Bomertown?
Won't you take me to
BONERTOWN?

:toot:

Philthy posted:

WTF.

That's about what I paid. Expensive but totally worth it.

Apparatchik Magnet
Sep 25, 2019

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
The best thing about Andrew Skinner's Steel Frame is that the characters regularly refer to "Christs" (one one occasion expounding "both of them) when cursing, showing that Skinner was prescient about Kanye's recent developments and where they're going to end up.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Steel Frame was way better than I thought it would be.

Apparatchik Magnet
Sep 25, 2019

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Larry Parrish posted:

Steel Frame was way better than I thought it would be.

It came across as a Luminous Dead-style recommendation, but it's actually quite good and not disappointing at all.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

Apparatchik Magnet posted:

It came across as a Luminous Dead-style recommendation, but it's actually quite good and not disappointing at all.

I don't see why that's a bad thing, as I loved Luminous Dead too.

e: More clearly, I adored Luminous Dead and I'm not bothered that you folks weren't into it. I write my reviews based on how I feel about a book, and hopefully if I love a book you'll love it too, and if not, welp, hope it wasn't too expensive.

StrixNebulosa fucked around with this message at 20:37 on Oct 29, 2019

Apparatchik Magnet
Sep 25, 2019

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

StrixNebulosa posted:

I don't see why that's a bad thing, as I loved Luminous Dead too.

Luminous Dead is very much a chick book, for both good and ill. Not my kind of thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

Apparatchik Magnet posted:

Luminous Dead is very much a chick book, for both good and ill. Not my kind of thing.

What does chick book mean? I'm confused here, like... it features women? It features emotions? What?