Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

Big Mean Jerk posted:

This and the looming November sale are all that’s prevented me from buying anything. I had Shallow Grave, Haxan, and Medium Cool in my cart but I still have like 15 things I haven’t watched from the last two sales, including the entire Tati set. Don’t Look Now had been gathering dust for two years until I finally watched it the other day.

It’s going to be an expensive November for me, my B&N just got a copy of the Zatoichi box set so there’s going to be that and Godzilla.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

January releases:

All About My Mother
Fail-Safe
Le Petit Soldat
Holiday
The Fugitive Kind (Blu)

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

Lumet gonna make my bank account plummet

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Did Le Petit Soldat not even have a DVD before? I could have sworn it was already in the Collection.

Le Saboteur
Dec 5, 2007

I hear you wish to ball, adventurer..

Egbert Souse posted:

https://twitter.com/Criterion/status/1184467651357220864?s=20

Also, for Canadian goons, Unobstructed View is the new distributor of Criterion's releases there and is having a sale as well:
https://www.unobstructedview.com/criterion-flash-sale/

Oh wow I had no idea Canada had their own distributor. I've always just used the Criterion site and ate the exchange difference because its still way cheaper on a flash sale.

Brexit the Frog
Aug 22, 2013

Raxivace posted:

Did Le Petit Soldat not even have a DVD before? I could have sworn it was already in the Collection.

it did bitch

fox lorber bitch

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Looks like Barnes & Noble's 50% sale starts November 1.

Alfred P. Pseudonym
May 29, 2006

And when you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss goes 8-8

Egbert Souse posted:

Looks like Barnes & Noble's 50% sale starts November 1.

Godzilla box is out by then, right?

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Alfred P. Pseudonym posted:

Godzilla box is out by then, right?

Yep, coming out next Tuesday if you don't mind waiting a few days.

For reference, here's all the new stuff released since the July sale ended through the end of November:

An Angel at My Table (Blu-ray)
The Inland Sea
Magnificent Obsession (Blu-ray)
The Koker Trilogy
The Flavor Green Tea Over Rice
Fists in the Pocket (Blu-ray)
The Cloud-Capped Star
Polyester
Cluny Brown
Local Hero
The Circus
3 Silent Classics by Josef von Sternberg (Blu-ray)
Haxan (Blu-ray)
When We Were Kings
Matewan
Godzilla: The Showa-Era Films, 1954-1975

The Daytrippers - Nov 12
Betty Blue - Nov 19
Cold War - Nov 19
All About Eve - Nov 26
Now, Voyager - Nov 26

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

https://www.amazon.com/Confession-Blu-ray-Yves-Montand/dp/B00TRAO8HK/?tag=dvdmovieguide0d

Looks like Costa-Gavras' The Confession might have quietly gone back into print or Amazon just found a box of discs. According to someone on Criterion Forum, Amazon is definitely shipping these.

VoodooXT
Feb 24, 2006
I want Tong Po! Give me Tong Po!

Egbert Souse posted:

https://www.amazon.com/Confession-Blu-ray-Yves-Montand/dp/B00TRAO8HK/?tag=dvdmovieguide0d

Looks like Costa-Gavras' The Confession might have quietly gone back into print or Amazon just found a box of discs. According to someone on Criterion Forum, Amazon is definitely shipping these.

They found a crate of them in a warehouse; same thing happened with Carlos Saura's Flamenco trilogy and Godard's Pierrot le fou (with B&N) some years back. Criterion still lists The Confession as out of print so it's doubtful they got the rights back. I ordered it a week ago so we'll see if I actually get it.

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth
I ordered it today because I ordered it from Amazon when it originally went OOP and the order was cancelled, which I'm still bitter about. FWIW, I've never had Amazon cancel a fulfilled by Amazon order regardless of the wait time.

Ingmar terdman
Jul 24, 2006

And still we wait for our Criterion channel charter member cards

cvnvcnv
Mar 17, 2013

Ingmar terdman posted:

*continues holding my breath for the Criterion email address*

*has been a dead person for some time now*

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

VoodooXT posted:

They found a crate of them in a warehouse; same thing happened with Carlos Saura's Flamenco trilogy and Godard's Pierrot le fou (with B&N) some years back. Criterion still lists The Confession as out of print so it's doubtful they got the rights back. I ordered it a week ago so we'll see if I actually get it.

That's what I figured.

On the subject of OOP, there's a real possibility of Fox properties going out of print in the near future. Indicator, Kino Lorber, Twilight Time, and Shout! Factory already confirmed they're unable to license any further Fox films. Shout! Factory and Kino Lorber are also letting a lot of MGM titles, which Fox distributes, go out of print. Obviously, Criterion hasn't been cut off yet since All About Eve is coming next month and they released Cluny Brown a few weeks ago, but some of the older ones might...

If anyone is interested, here's all the Fox licenses Criterion has:

Naked Lunch (2003 DVD - upgraded to Blu in 2013)
Pickup on South Street (2004 DVD only - Blu available in UK from Eureka)
3 Women (2004 DVD - upgraded to Blu in 2011)
The Leopard (2004 DVD - upgraded to Blu in 2010 - still none have used new 4K restoration)
Kagemusha (2005 DVD - upgraded to Blu in 2009)
Thieves' Highway (2005 DVD only - Blu available in UK from Arrow)
Night and the City (2005 DVD - upgraded to Blu in 2015)
Heaven Can Wait (2005 DVD - upgraded to Blu in 2018)
Unfaithfully Yours (2005 DVD only - Blu available in France from Carlotta from 4K master)
Young Mr. Lincoln (2006 DVD - upgraded to Blu in 2018)
The Ice Storm (2008 DVD - upgraded to Blu in 2013)
Night Train to Munich (2010 DVD - upgraded to Blu in 2016)

The rest are Blu-rays released between 2010-2019:

Bigger Than Life (2010)
The Thin Red Line (2010)
Broadcast News (2011)
Fantastic Mr. Fox (2014)
All That Jazz (2014)
The Innocents (2014)
My Darling Clementine (2014)
The Rose (2015)
Valley of the Dolls (2016)
Beyond the Valley of the Dolls (2016)
The Tree of Life (2018)
Forty Guns (2018)
Cluny Brown (2019)
All About Eve (2019)

stratofarius
May 17, 2019

Ingmar terdman posted:

Oh, I guess I WASN'T the only one who didn't get them.

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth

Egbert Souse posted:

Got an update from Amazon today, this should arrive on the fourth.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

At least two people on the Blu-ray.com forums have received their Criterion Channel cards.

VoodooXT
Feb 24, 2006
Yay, I got my copy of The Confession today.

Ingmar terdman
Jul 24, 2006

Egbert Souse posted:

At least two people on the Blu-ray.com forums have received their Criterion Channel cards.

Mine came yesterday and looks great next to my On Cinema family member card and now everyone knows I think Autumn Sonata is a five-bagger

remusclaw
Dec 8, 2009

Ingmar terdman posted:

I just got mine today.

The_Rob
Feb 1, 2007

Blah blah blah blah!!
I got my criterion channel card today. I love being able to have physical proof of pretension.

Blast Fantasto
Sep 18, 2007

USAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!
Apparently they announced today HBO Max will have the Criterion library, so who knows what that means for the Criterion Channel as a separate entity

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Blast Fantasto posted:

Apparently they announced today HBO Max will have the Criterion library, so who knows what that means for the Criterion Channel as a separate entity

I think it was already announced when The Criterion Channel started that due to the Filmstruck split (and fallout), Warner lets The Criterion Channel have some of their library on a rotating basis while Warner's service will have some of Criterion's (Janus Films') library.

Basically, while Criterion gets to have stuff like the Val Lewton films and True Stories, HBO Go will probably get stuff like Eraserhead, A Hard Day's Night, the Chaplins, Bergmans, Kurosawa, etc.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

True Stories is leaving at the end of the month.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Detective No. 27 posted:

True Stories is leaving at the end of the month.

Yes, it's one of the rotating titles. They'll probably have it again in a few months.

Here's sort of a look at what Criterion can keep up indefinitely due to Janus holding US/Canada streaming rights:

- Toho
- Mosfilm
- Shoichku
- Kadokawa
- Svensk Filmindustri
- MK2 (Kieslowski, Kiarostami, Chaplin, Lynch)
- Argos Films
- World Cinema Foundation
- iTV
- Handmade Films
- Gaumont
- Also some filmmakers directly or through estates like Jim Jarmusch, Wim Wenders, Rainer Weiner Fassbinder, Harold Lloyd, etc

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth
Just to close the loop, I got The Confession in the mail today and it did look like it had been found in a warehouse - the plastic was a little torn and scuffed up but it was fine out of package.

Anyone have any idea how likely Fox is to take back titles in the future? I might pick up a few that I wouldn't want to miss during the upcoming sale.

Unmature
May 9, 2008
Where my card :(

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Cloks posted:

Just to close the loop, I got The Confession in the mail today and it did look like it had been found in a warehouse - the plastic was a little torn and scuffed up but it was fine out of package.

Anyone have any idea how likely Fox is to take back titles in the future? I might pick up a few that I wouldn't want to miss during the upcoming sale.

Probably too early to tell since none have gone OOP yet, other than the limited ones Twilight Time got. There's just no new licensing deals in place and studios like Criterion are going through stuff they licensed a while ago.

Criterion hasn't lost any major studio titles since the three Hitchcock/Selznick films and Straw Dogs (all owned by Disney), and all but Spellbound now have fresh 4K remastered Blu-rays.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Fill in the blank:

This is the sale where I finally buy _______.

For me, I think it's gonna be Fantastic Mr. Fox.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Detective No. 27 posted:

Fill in the blank:

Might pick up that and Moonrise Kingdom just so I'm complete on Wes Anderson until The Grand Budapest Hotel comes out. Since I have a Criterion Channel membership, I'm not in a great hurry for stuff I can watch there instead, plus I'm holding out for Kurosawa and Fellini sets in 2020. As a result, I've been focusing more on stuff that isn't up and are likely going to be definitive. Only ones I'm grabbing immediately (or on release day) are The Circus (went out of stock in the flash sale), All About Eve, and Now Voyager. On the fence about Godzilla, but $112 for 15 movies is a pretty good deal and I could always sell it.

For that matter, I cannot recommend Now, Voyager enough. Bette Davis is so loving amazing in it, plus it also has Paul Henreid and Claude Rains. And it's another Warner 4K restoration.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

Detective No. 27 posted:

Fill in the blank:

Valley of the Dolls. I've thought about blind buying it before, but didn't. And I saw it was on that list of movies that might be in a precarious situation because of the Fox thing, so this might be my last chance.

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
Woot. Got my card and discs today. Totally spaced when the sale first went on and forgot about Thief. So I'll just have to see if anything's is gonna be on sale around Christmas.

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

I like my metal card

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

I wish it didn't have the hole and wire. I don't know what the intended use is for. I'm just gonna put it in my Yakuza business card holder like an adult.

beergod
Nov 1, 2004
NOBODY WANTS TO SEE PICTURES OF YOUR UGLY FUCKING KIDS YOU DIPSHIT
Does the next B&N sale go live tomorrow? Will I be able to buy Godzilla for half off?

VoodooXT
Feb 24, 2006

beergod posted:

Does the next B&N sale go live tomorrow? Will I be able to buy Godzilla for half off?

Yes.

EDIT

It’s happening right now because they’re based on Eastern time.

Alfred P. Pseudonym
May 29, 2006

And when you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss goes 8-8

beergod posted:

Yep I did it

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

So how many of those Godzilla movies are actually good?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The_Rob
Feb 1, 2007

Blah blah blah blah!!

GrandpaPants posted:

So how many of those Godzilla movies are actually good?

All of them. Especially Godzilla vs Megalon.

I just bought the box set. I didn’t realize how big it actually was. It’s really really cool.