Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Calibanibal
Aug 25, 2015

Its not Outer Worlds fault that it had to follow Disco Elysium or Outer Wilds (which also basically has the same name)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:
i dont think im going to play any more the outer worlds. there's like a billion games on this microsoft game pass thing i paid a buck for, any recommendations?

SpaceGoku
Jul 19, 2011

Calibanibal posted:

Leave Outer Worlds alone

outer worlds does the han solo intercom gag from new hope at least three different times in three different quests

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Calibanibal posted:

Its not Outer Worlds fault that it had to follow Disco Elysium or Outer Wilds (which also basically has the same name)

Also DE is great example of getting humor and political satire right in terms of adding something to the game atmosphere.

Farm Frenzy
Jan 3, 2007

getting lukewarm on outer worlds but lets not say insane things like fallout 4 is better jfc. for one you can just power thru the story in outer worlds without half the game being combining trash in your inventory

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

who wants to play worms wmd

Poniard
Apr 3, 2011

Farm Frenzy posted:

getting lukewarm on outer worlds but lets not say insane things like fallout 4 is better jfc. for one you can just power thru the story in outer worlds without half the game being combining trash in your inventory

i love the trash

im the trash man

i log on and i start eating garbage

Farm Frenzy
Jan 3, 2007

it just feels kinda undercooked? the open areas have mostly turned out to be a bunch of empty buildings and you end up passing everything in a big winding loop. its like the new vegas campaign but every quest is from the DLC

Calibanibal
Aug 25, 2015

Al! posted:

otoh i remember being amazed when they did this kind of stuff in the first metroid prime

That all works because you're perceiving the world through Samus' helmet, all the holographic popups and even the glass itself are incorporated visual elements to achieve a very distinctive effect. its not fair to compare Outer Worlds to that kind of masterpiece

Mercrom
Jul 17, 2009

Al! posted:

just play new vegas again, its not like outer worlds looks any better than new vegas with a rendering mod

yeah the game is worse than new vegas in almost every way. the writing and world building is not comparable. the world feels no less empty despite not being open world. mechanically the combat is a bit better but the guns and the skills and the perks are all waaay worse. also since there are just 3 ammo types and you can break down any weapon for universal repair parts them might as well have removed ammo and durability from the game.

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

Mercrom posted:

yeah the game is worse than new vegas in almost every way. the writing and world building is not comparable. the world feels no less empty despite not being open world. mechanically the combat is a bit better but the guns and the skills and the perks are all waaay worse. also since there are just 3 ammo types and you can break down any weapon for universal repair parts them might as well have removed ammo and durability from the game.

[snaps fingers] DEUS EX INVISIBLE WAR

thats what outer worlds reminds me of

Lt. Danger
Dec 22, 2006

jolly good chaps we sure showed the hun

brutal

Farm Frenzy
Jan 3, 2007

the most confusing part for me so far has been the stealth system which is completely pointless since all enemies cant see you unless youre 10 meters away shooting at them like in an mmo. i keep trying to talk to marauders because they arent shooting at me and doing a big double take

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

rope kid didn't work on outer worlds, so stuff doesn't feel rightly punchy and guns are inaccurate as poo poo

kakotheres
Nov 9, 2016

Do the job that is in front of you
How hard is it to make a font size slider, Outer World's text is so stupidly tiny :(

SpaceGoku
Jul 19, 2011

Mercrom posted:

mechanically the combat is a bit better but the guns and the skills and the perks are all waaay worse. also since there are just 3 ammo types and you can break down any weapon for universal repair parts them might as well have removed ammo and durability from the game.

this was the thing I found to be really true, once you learn how to juice your combat effectiveness through your build and playstyle the concern of managing resources loses all meaning

I finished a hard mode run over 5k in each ammo type, over 1k weapon parts, and over 300 inhaler uses because I moused over every shelf and pressed E at every outlined object as is custom

maybe on SUPERNOVA it would be different but lmao gently caress that

Farm Frenzy
Jan 3, 2007

im going to play through the rest of the game pretending its one of those 5 or 6 east euro fallout spiritual successors that come on steam every year

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

the awful beginner lovely "assault" rifle in new vegas goes pop pop pop pop and it feels great even though you're only dealing 18 damage

none of the weapons in outer worlds feels good to shoot nor do they feel like you're hitting hard enough to matter unless you're using a plasma rifle, and shotguns are just the worst, a cardinal sin in this type of game

Pigbottom
Sep 23, 2007

Time is never wasted when you're wasted all the time.

etalian posted:

I always like how games throw in things that only effect cameras in the real world like motion blur or chromatic aberration.

This is not the case with OW but one thing that really pisses me off these days is how devs keep slapping motion blur and chromatic aberration into everything, but you still have to beg for them to get off their asses and give something people actually need like a fov setting so that we don't get motion sickness playing their games.

Pigbottom
Sep 23, 2007

Time is never wasted when you're wasted all the time.

Farm Frenzy posted:

im going to play through the rest of the game pretending its one of those 5 or 6 east euro fallout spiritual successors that come on steam every year

Well, if you got the 1 euro game pass thing, it kinda is...

SpaceGoku
Jul 19, 2011

there's also some kind of elemental resistance/vulnerability system at play but gently caress if I know how it works because I just made the strongest sniper rifle I could make and clicked on heads in bullet time for the back half of the game

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Calibanibal posted:

Leave Outer Worlds alone

i will after i beat in 15 hours of swinging a stick at every npc

Mercrom
Jul 17, 2009

SpaceGoku posted:

there's also some kind of elemental resistance/vulnerability system at play but gently caress if I know how it works because I just made the strongest sniper rifle I could make and clicked on heads in bullet time for the back half of the game

it seems to use the same flat reduction armor system as new vegas which is stupid because the variance in single-shot damage between weapons is immense, and there are no ammo types to give fast firing weapons and shotguns armor penetration. the highest per-shot bullet weapon in new vegas only did 110 damage but still had an immensely slow fire rate and rare ammo type to compensate for that, since the armor penetration and long range capabilities made it worth using.

Egg Moron
Jul 21, 2003

the dreams of the delighting void

Egg Moron
Jul 21, 2003

the outer worlds is great, it's like if old world blues was a whole game and I like that that

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan

Al! posted:

BOOM

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Mercrom posted:

it seems to use the same flat reduction armor system as new vegas which is stupid because the variance in single-shot damage between weapons is immense, and there are no ammo types to give fast firing weapons and shotguns armor penetration. the highest per-shot bullet weapon in new vegas only did 110 damage but still had an immensely slow fire rate and rare ammo type to compensate for that, since the armor penetration and long range capabilities made it worth using.

One of the highest damage sniper rifles in New Vegas was found near a Johnny 5 Aces skeleton corpse with massive balls and also was a reference to the failed perverted YCS sub-forum.

Grey Fox
Jan 5, 2004

I'm enjoying Outer Worlds so far and feel driven by my desire to light the Board on fire. Writing definitely doesn't take the same kind of risks as DE, but it still works as a anti-Fallout. Also does a good job of scratching that "scavenge 3D environments for supplies" itch.

Playing on Hard, so the combat's taking a little getting used to. First few guns are obviously dogshit to the point where NPCs straight up tell you how unreliable they are (because they're made by the shithole company that's loving everything up), but I took an assault rifle off a marauder and modded it to be useful within the first hour or so. Also found an energy pistol that works well against armored targets. Time dilation is both neat and useful.

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Al! posted:

Harsh

Dec 26, 2012

my face exactly on hearing outer worlds is unimpressive

Proletarian Mango
May 21, 2011

im having a really hard time giving a poo poo about any characters in The Outer Worlds, and the world itself lacks character. the whole game is starting to feel tedious. im so glad i didn't buy the $60 version.

idk if the main story gets up but even then every step of the way you get like 3 side quests to do in order progress the main quest, and every character just goes on and on with faux-folksy affect, goddamn just get to the loving point. I also don't like that you have to accept like half the quests offered before you get any details about what the quest itself actually is.

Proletarian Mango has issued a correction as of 17:02 on Oct 26, 2019

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

I'm enjoying playing it but yeah the more I play the more it reminds me of Fallout 4 where its not really an rpg its a looter shooter with bad loot and bad shoot.
Mind you there's something about sneaking around chunky tech facilities stealing everything not nailed down that scratches an itch and I've played a lot of it already. Its much better playing and the quests are way better organised than new Vegas so you can sorta just zoom through. I feel like the guns felt better in NV but I played that modded.

The writing has got to the point where I just skip through things though, it's really not good. I was actually hopeful that an obsidian game not written by avellone would be an improvement and wow it really isn't, it's very mediocre and exactly as poor as your average games writing.
Like just painfully dumb and it tries to reference scientific or political concepts without having any understanding of them, nobody even googled "anarchism" for example even though there's a bakunin reference.

I'm on some planet where there's some rebels who my character refers to as anarchists, the game refers to as revolutionaries and there's meant to be a spiritualist/materialist split in them but nobody writing it has any idea what those terms mean and didn't bother to look them up.
Whenever someone tries to engage you in a philosophical or political discussion, which happens occasionally, their dialogue and your responses are so loving stupid I don't know why the writers even bothered to try.

It's painfully lib too, the responses NEVER allow you to side fully with any kind of rebels or outlaws it's just you scolding them or concern trolling them. And the corps are so loving evil that this is just bizzare.

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

Obvs the politics was never gonna be good but I think the other thing by which DE ruins it in comparison is that there is never any consequence to what response you pick, no matter how rude or lovely, and any response with a skill check magically solves the problem.

The two stupidest examples I can think of are when you execute Parvatis boss and she freaks out, you get a companion skill check where you're like "I did it 4 u hunny" and shes pissed off and says she didn't want you to do it and doesn't need that kind of help, but still agrees to stay with you regardless.
Another bit is when I was convincing a Corp soldier to gently caress off and let some rebels go and he goes "you can't just come here and fix all this with your pretty words, we can't leave" and I click persuade like "but wot if its dangerous 2 stay m8?" and he goes "OK were leaving, here take my keys"

Proletarian Mango
May 21, 2011

Skills checks in Outer Worlds be like

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fvu5Ephsqyk

Apraxin
Feb 22, 2006

General-Admiral

snoremac posted:

curious: what happens if you fail karaoke?
magic happens
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KRZs8RLzNGk

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

wow this is unkind to the limbic system

Captain Billy Pissboy
Oct 25, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo
College Slice

Kim's line when you fail :unsmith:

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

everybody loved it, don't listen to their lies

it's the perfect example how sometimes in this game, the failing option is superior

Egg Moron
Jul 21, 2003

it is absolutely true that DE makes the outer worlds look like a crayon drawing of a game

i am for sure enjoy outer worlds but I think everyone's making valid points about its shortcomings

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Billy Pissboy
Oct 25, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo
College Slice

Over Easy posted:

it is absolutely true that DE makes the outer worlds look like a crayon drawing of a game

i am for sure enjoy outer worlds but I think everyone's making valid points about its shortcomings

Outer Worlds isn't really bad it's just extremely average. The fact that you can get it for a buck is definitely a plus though, if I had paid $60 for it I'd have been pissed