Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AngryBooch
Sep 26, 2009
oh my god. Ali has brewed a deck using Chance for Glory to make all his creatures indestructible for the whole game by countering Chance for Glory's "lose the game" clause with Tale's End.

Absolute loving madman.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

AngryBooch posted:

oh my god. Ali has brewed a deck using Chance for Glory to make all his creatures indestructible for the whole game by countering Chance for Glory's "lose the game" clause with Tale's End.

Absolute loving madman.

Before rotation one of the people at my LGS had a Feather/Chance for Glory/Lich's Mastery deck.

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌
Had he been born 700 years ago he would have discovered calculus instead he blesses the world with these ridiculous decks

Insurrectionist
May 21, 2007
Lol made an Emmara brawl deck and immediately ran into a Petitioners deck that milled me before I could draw any board-buffs or enough 3+ attack creatures to hit through his 1/3s

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes

AngryBooch posted:

Absolute loving madman.

you're really understating what the deck actually is, which is an infinite turns combo deck

https://twitter.com/AliEldrazi/status/1187972733751250944

ramp like hell, use the aforementioned CFG + Tale's End interaction to get an extra turn, play scholar of the ages to bring both back from your graveyard to your hand, and use portal of sanctuary to bounce the scholar back to your hand to repeat.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy
I can't believe what a crazy amount of fun it is to do Orzhov Enchantments. Sure there's the Doom Foretold thing but it's surprisingly easy to lock a game down just using Oath of Kaya into Conclave Tribunal, Smothering Tithe then using the bonus mana for Ethereal Absolution. I only have like 9 Rare Wildcards but like 20 mythics so I'm strongly considering crafting a few more Kaya to survive the early aggro game.

edit: I can't believe how many people will play 1/1's into my Ethereal Absolution. Just had someone try with a Pteremander then concede out of shame.

Zero VGS fucked around with this message at 09:18 on Oct 26, 2019

MRLOLAST
May 9, 2013
I met that deck but Vivian solved it for me with her +1+1 ability.

starkebn
May 18, 2004

"Oooh, got a little too serious. You okay there, little buddy?"
For some reason they made buying packs even more tedious by making you redeem each pack as it's purchased for gold. I don't know if it's just packs from older sets that I happened to be buying or is the way going forward?

Insurrectionist
May 21, 2007

Zero VGS posted:

I can't believe what a crazy amount of fun it is to do Orzhov Enchantments. Sure there's the Doom Foretold thing but it's surprisingly easy to lock a game down just using Oath of Kaya into Conclave Tribunal, Smothering Tithe then using the bonus mana for Ethereal Absolution. I only have like 9 Rare Wildcards but like 20 mythics so I'm strongly considering crafting a few more Kaya to survive the early aggro game.

edit: I can't believe how many people will play 1/1's into my Ethereal Absolution. Just had someone try with a Pteremander then concede out of shame.

You have a decklist? Sounds like a fun deck to mess around with

YorexTheMad
Apr 16, 2007
OBAMA IS A FALSE MESSIAH

ABANDON ALL HOPE
I've only been playing for just a couple of days (all the guild starters unlocked at least). Are any of the physical decks that come with Arena codes to match particularly worth it? I do some very casual real-life play too so it wouldn't be just for the codes.

MRLOLAST
May 9, 2013
I bought them for me and the wife and we have fun. Not seeing myself attending any Friday night magic any time ever.
If you got the right Oko instead of the bad one in the Planeswalker deck it would have been worth it.

GimmickMan
Dec 27, 2011

starkebn posted:

For some reason they made buying packs even more tedious by making you redeem each pack as it's purchased for gold. I don't know if it's just packs from older sets that I happened to be buying or is the way going forward?

I'm pretty sure someone at a meeting went "How can we passive-aggressively frustrate the people who save up gold and open 100 packs of a new set the day it comes out instead of spending money like god intended?" and they all signed off on the idea immediately.

The Deleter
May 22, 2010
I imagine Grumgully is some weird fairy drug dealer who just gives mushrooms to whoever passes by and runs of giggling as they proceed to freak out on a bad trip.

Commander
1 Grumgully, the Generous (ELD) 192

Deck
1 Dwarven Mine (ELD) 243
1 Castle Embereth (ELD) 239
1 Gingerbread Cabin (ELD) 245
1 Gruul Guildgate (RNA) 249
1 Rugged Highlands (M20) 250
1 Stomping Ground (RNA) 259
1 Cryptic Caves (M20) 244
1 Fabled Passage (ELD) 244
1 Pelt Collector (GRN) 141
9 Forest (ELD) 269
1 Incubation Druid (RNA) 131
1 Barkhide Troll (M20) 165
1 Trollbred Guardian (RNA) 148
1 Collision // Colossus (RNA) 223
7 Mountain (ELD) 265
1 Gruul Spellbreaker (RNA) 179
1 Courage in Crisis (WAR) 158
1 Evolution Sage (WAR) 159
1 Krenko, Tin Street Kingpin (WAR) 137
1 Embercleave (ELD) 120
1 Domri, Anarch of Bolas (WAR) 191
1 Domri's Ambush (WAR) 192
1 Castle Garenbrig (ELD) 240
1 Ferocity of the Wilds (ELD) 123
1 Rhythm of the Wild (RNA) 201
1 Thorn Mammoth (ELD) 323
1 Garenbrig Paladin (ELD) 157
1 Zhur-Taa Goblin (RNA) 215
1 Nikya of the Old Ways (RNA) 193
1 Fling (ELD) 126
1 Leafkin Druid (M20) 178
1 God-Eternal Rhonas (WAR) 163
1 Return of the Wildspeaker (ELD) 172
1 Paradise Druid (WAR) 171
1 Arcane Signet (ELD) 331
1 Outmuscle (ELD) 170
1 Thrash // Threat (RNA) 229
1 Frenzied Arynx (RNA) 173
1 Sunder Shaman (RNA) 210
1 Goblin Banneret (GRN) 102
1 Stony Strength (RNA) 143
1 Weaselback Redcap (ELD) 148
1 Shock (M20) 160
1 Lava Coil (GRN) 108
1 Bonecrusher Giant (ELD) 115

There's probably a few bad cards in here but the strategy of early grumgully - start proliferating - get a big thing or Embercleave on something seems to work. Domri is very handy and I kind of like the little utility Planeswalkers from War of the Spark! Not had a chance to cast Rhonas yet but that's another way to end the game. Nkya's downside isn't so bad if you're going to be casting creatures anyway.

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

I AM UNJUSTIFIABLY PROUD OF MY SPAGHETTI BOLOGNESE RECIPE

YES, IT IS AN INCREDIBLY SIMPLE DISH

NO, IT IS NOT NORMAL TO USE A PEPPERAMI INSTEAD OF MINCED MEAT

YES, THERE IS TOO MUCH SALT IN MY RECIPE

NO, I WON'T STOP SHARING IT

more like BOLLOCKnese
Seen quite a few Grumgully decks out there, I would caution anyone playing that you need to have a bunch of creature removal and be doing stuff early in this Brawl format or you are going to get run over by Gruul or Oko before you can do anything.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Early testing with Torbran reveals that this brawl deck fuckin’ slaps

drainpipe
May 17, 2004

AAHHHHHHH!!!!
I wonder why sorcerous spyglass isn't in more sideboards for Oko. Seems like the cleanest answer as artifact removal is pretty minimal. You can't get blown out by veil and it's a proactive card that doesn't rely on good timing like counters or discard. Eminently sideboardable as it's colorless, too.

turboraton
Aug 28, 2011
I've played against Socrates and then against Sokrates. Noice.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
Now you gotta play against Black Socrates

Ethiser
Dec 31, 2011

I’m over here having a blast playing against jank artifact and toughness matters decks. I haven’t seen any Gruul or Oko nonsense.

The Sean
Apr 17, 2005

Am I handsome now?

I already think planeswalkers are the worst mechanic in Magic but holy poo poo I played someone who had a deck that was only planeswalkers and I hope something bad happens to them.

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌

drainpipe posted:

I wonder why sorcerous spyglass isn't in more sideboards for Oko. Seems like the cleanest answer as artifact removal is pretty minimal. You can't get blown out by veil and it's a proactive card that doesn't rely on good timing like counters or discard. Eminently sideboardable as it's colorless, too.

It's in my gently caress Planeswalker deck and boy howdy do I never draw it when I need to

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!

The Sean posted:

I already think planeswalkers are the worst mechanic in Magic but holy poo poo I played someone who had a deck that was only planeswalkers and I hope something bad happens to them.

There's at least one planeswalker whose whole thing is that you play them alongside multiple planeswalkers - Sarkhan.

It's a godawful deck to face with anything that tries to... you know, play creatures and reduce their opponent's life total to 0 with them.

I went through a big phase in the first couple of weeks playing (around the top of silver/bottom of gold in constructed) where I was just always incredibly frustrated by every deck just having a tonne of planeswalkers I don't have access to, but I got over that, partly through learning to deal with them, partly through building decks with enough counters to them, and partly through earning my own.

I still wish there was a limited format with a lower barrier to entry than 5k gold though, just because it levels the playing field at least a little.

Dpulex
Feb 26, 2013

The Sean posted:

Planeswalkers loving suck. War if the spark was the worst set in magic easily and definitely the worst expansion set for any game ever made.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Bust Rodd posted:

Early testing with Torbran reveals that this brawl deck fuckin’ slaps

huh?

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
planeswalkers are alright

Time
Aug 1, 2011

It Was All A Dream

Dpulex posted:

Planeswalkers loving suck. War if the spark was the worst set in magic easily and definitely the worst expansion set for any game ever made.

it was cool and a lot of fun

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Wasn't there that weird amass wipe that hit walkers?

little munchkin
Aug 15, 2010

drainpipe posted:

one of the reasons that oko is criminally busted is how u/g has access to the best cards at every point in the curve. spyglass stopping their 3-drop is not a profitable exchange when your opponent follows up with wicked wolf into nissa into krasis (plus goose and OUaT to ensure that they do their thing faster and more consistently than you).

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!
Hear me out: Huatli Brawl deck.

Being able to reliably get Huatli out means you can pull in all the cheap 0 power creatures and make them work. It's working out well after one game.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

Kanfy posted:

If they really did adjust the bots, I sure hope this guy was playing a pre-patch deck.

(They played 5 in total. I didn't win.)

i have 4 merfolks and 3 didn't say please in the deck i drafted yesterday evening. i haven't had time to play it yet but lol

Rhaegar
Jul 16, 2006
Finished off the brawl by winning three straight games with Oko after my opponent gave up immediately after seeing Oko or right after I played him on turn two or three. I feel bad, he’s busted.

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀
good thing they banned sorcerous spyglass.

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

Dr. Stab posted:

good thing they banned sorcerous spyglass.

Well you wouldn't want them to render your commander useless.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!
The streamer crokeyz just got to 7 wins in the MCQ. He's running a standard sultai oko list with 2x maindeck noxious grasp.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

No Wave posted:

The streamer crokeyz just got to 7 wins in the MCQ. He's running a standard sultai oko list with 2x maindeck noxious grasp.

Different from this list: https://www.streamdecker.com/deck/eSViLexS3K
https://twitter.com/crokeyz/status/1187423832526802945

That one runs 4

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

i forgot it was 4. ha ha ha ha ha.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

I like crokeyz decks, he does more or less competitive meta stuff and then splashes a couple of spicy twists. Where are you seeing MCQ decklists and records?

Time
Aug 1, 2011

It Was All A Dream
I played crokeyz twice in a row yesterday lol. I won the first one then queued up again and stream sniped him the second time and conceded when I had on board lethal because that’s just mean. He’s good and his deck building skills are good

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

zoux posted:

I like crokeyz decks, he does more or less competitive meta stuff and then splashes a couple of spicy twists. Where are you seeing MCQ decklists and records?
I'm just watching his stream. I watched him back when he did gwent. idk what the real grasp count is rn.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Ah ok, I was just trying to find them earlier.

Unrelated, it's been about 4 mos. since the London Mulligan rolled out so has it been better, worse, or about the same as the vancouver