Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

Mat Cauthon posted:

Really disappointing that the Finn as force-sensitive stuff from TFA has been discarded completely.

Technically, the idea was never discarded. It was just implied in all the marketing materials for misdirection. Which is lame af though, I agree. Would've been cool as hell if Finn was also force-sensitive.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

The Force works in mysterious ways.

It surrounds us and penetrates us; it binds the galaxy together.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Are we sure Phasma is dead this time

AccountSupervisor
Aug 3, 2004

I am greatful for my loop pedal

FlamingLiberal posted:

"No ones ever really gone..."

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

FlamingLiberal posted:

She fell into a fiery pit. I think she's permadead. I'll laugh if she comes back though.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

teagone posted:

She fell into a fiery pit. I think she's permadead. I'll laugh if she comes back though.
In TFA she fell into a garbage chute minutes before the planet blew up

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

FlamingLiberal posted:

In TFA she fell into a garbage chute minutes before the planet blew up

We never saw her being thrown into the chute though.

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

How is babby Phasma formed

TerminalRaptor
Nov 6, 2012

Mostly Harmless
"You see, they thought they threw her in the garbage chute, but it was really the escape pod chute. Finn just didn't know that because the chute was only for officers."

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Phasma actually gets rescued from the fiery wreckage by none other than Boba Fett. They both show up at the final battle only to get immediately gunned down by evil C3PO.

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005

The quickest substitution in the history of the NBA

teagone posted:

Darth Maul got cut in half and fell into a bottomless pit and is still alive.

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

miniscule brain: palpatine lived
small brain: darth maul lived
medium brain: phasma lived
large brain: han lived
galactic brain: luke lived

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Papercut posted:

This being made canon is loving wild.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Papercut posted:

I laughed at his return, but then he turned out to be a really great character in Clone Wars/Rebels. Maybe Phasma will get the same treatment in a Disney+ series or something.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
Cynical references to other media to generate attention and cash is the entire reason her character exists and this thread is proof of how well it works.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

This being made canon is loving wild.

None of the post Lucas movies are canon

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

No Mods No Masters posted:

miniscule brain: palpatine lived
small brain: darth maul lived
medium brain: phasma lived
large brain: han lived
galactic brain: luke lived

universal brain: anakin lived

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

mastershakeman posted:

None of the post Lucas movies are canon

Good thing Maul returning from his death in TPM happened prior to Disney's acquisition then. :thumbsup:

AndyElusive fucked around with this message at 23:47 on Oct 24, 2019

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013

Potential BFF posted:

The Tusken Raider fighter was named Hoar. That struck me as an interesting choice because I don't know any other ways to pronounce that.

Like Whore, without the W.

FlamingLiberal posted:

Yes. Not a little, but very dead.

She's extinct, like the Ewoks.

Preston Waters
May 21, 2010

by VideoGames

well why not posted:

The point of her parents being nobodies is that the force is not genetic and this is no longer a story about genetic supremacy.

Snoke dying was a rejection of the big bad guy format.

Both subversive choices I applaud Johnson for. He made an unconventional tentpole film.

This sums up my feelings perfectly. It was great to see after JJ's remake diarrhea. I wish Rian had been able to do Episode 9 as well. I look forward to his new trilogy and I hope they're episode films that are somewhat related to the OT characters and story at least.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:
Maul coming back ended up being great but I still LOL that he also canonically has a brother named Savage Opress.

YaketySass
Jan 15, 2019

Blind Idiot Dog

Neo Rasa posted:

Maul coming back ended up being great but I still LOL that he also canonically has a brother named Savage Opress.

I find even funnier the fact that "Maul" is his actual birth name.

Boxman
Sep 27, 2004

Big fan of :frog:

Do we know if every member of that species named, like, Bloodhunt Murderkill or is it just their hosed up family

Barudak
May 7, 2007

I mean Gunnhilda is a name and it basically means battle battle and is the origin of the word "gun" for the weapon so its probably just some rear end in a top hat translator for their species names.

bij
Feb 24, 2007

I am sending my apprentice, Darth Ephebophilus, to catch that pesky princess.

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Everytime I try to fly I fall
Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

Potential BFF posted:

I am sending my apprentice, Darth Ephebophilus, to catch that pesky princess.

Ah the outer rim Libertarian Sith are back.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Boxman posted:

Do we know if every member of that species named, like, Bloodhunt Murderkill or is it just their hosed up family

They have a dead brother named Feral. Their mother is just Talzim though, so maybe just the men, or her kids.

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

X-Wing: Wraith Squadron trilogy and Starfighters of Adumar are the best books of the old EU.

The sequel trilogy is such a mess it's hilarious. Just throwing references and nostalgia all over the place to get people excited with no plans or ideas on how to follow up on them, and then the next movie sets out to throw paint all over the Star Wars, and then the next movie goes back to the first thing.

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018

Argas posted:

X-Wing: Wraith Squadron trilogy and Starfighters of Adumar are the best books of the old EU.

The sequel trilogy is such a mess it's hilarious. Just throwing references and nostalgia all over the place to get people excited with no plans or ideas on how to follow up on them, and then the next movie sets out to throw paint all over the Star Wars, and then the next movie goes back to the first thing.

It's the Disney way.

Preston Waters
May 21, 2010

by VideoGames
It is with a heavy heart that I announce the death of Chewbacca's family to this thread. At least they went together. Thoughts and prayers...

https://twitter.com/nytimes/status/1188129432248180738?s=19

Mukaikubo
Mar 14, 2006

"You treat her like a lady... and she'll always bring you home."
OK after reading the spoilers I expect this last movie to be better on a technical, workmanship level than the last jedi, because JJ Abrams is like the avatar of some greek god of unobjectionable solid mediocrity in filmmaking, but it's going to all be so stupid and retroactively make both sequels even stupider, cementing this entire sequel trilogy as a bad idea as most people knew in their heart it would be.

So no real surprises is what I'm saying

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

In terms of what matters most, posting, I don't expect the film will do us any favors. If you have to kick and spit on a corpse, it's preferable that the corpse at least be weird

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

Mukaikubo posted:

OK after reading the spoilers I expect this last movie to be better on a technical, workmanship level than the last jedi, because JJ Abrams is like the avatar of some greek god of unobjectionable solid mediocrity in filmmaking, but it's going to all be so stupid and retroactively make both sequels even stupider, cementing this entire sequel trilogy as a bad idea as most people knew in their heart it would be.

So no real surprises is what I'm saying

No matter how you look at ep9, it's retconning the single best scene in all dozen of these movies (throne room in Jedi) and it's unforgivable

AccountSupervisor
Aug 3, 2004

I am greatful for my loop pedal

mastershakeman posted:

No matter how you look at ep9, it's retconning the single best scene in all dozen of these movies (throne room in Jedi) and it's unforgivable

I think this is what annoys me the most.

I cant stand the idea that I now must watch RotJ and know the Emperor doesnt die and have to recontextualize that entire scene for TRoS. I understand thematically its more important that Vader and Luke had their symbolic moment of pacifism and Vader turning to the Light, but its still annoying to not feel a sense of "victory" or "triumph", even if it was fleeting given the FOs eventual rise. It pissed me off as much when I was reading the EU as a kid but it was a lot easier to ignore books/comics established canon for whatever reason.

Its also weird because it essentially retcons the already established new EU from the Aftermath series. The entire set up of the Emperors contigency plan and the creation of the FO makes absolutely no sense now with the events of TRoS. Good job Pablo.

Its the same annoyance I have with Solo for introducing an earlier important love interest for Han as it robs his arc with Leah of a certain quality.

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!
"Everything your childhood heroes did was for nothing, all that they built has been reduced to ashes, and now they're dead. But look, Y-Wings are back!"

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

AccountSupervisor posted:

I think this is what annoys me the most.

I cant stand the idea that I now must watch RotJ and know the Emperor doesnt die and have to recontextualize that entire scene for TRoS. I understand thematically its more important that Vader and Luke had their symbolic moment of pacifism and Vader turning to the Light, but its still annoying to not feel a sense of "victory" or "triumph", even if it was fleeting given the FOs eventual rise. It pissed me off as much when I was reading the EU as a kid but it was a lot easier to ignore books/comics established canon for whatever reason.

Its also weird because it essentially retcons the already established new EU from the Aftermath series. The entire set up of the Emperors contigency plan and the creation of the FO makes absolutely no sense now with the events of TRoS. Good job Pablo.

Its the same annoyance I have with Solo for introducing an earlier important love interest for Han as it robs his arc with Leah of a certain quality.

fortunately canon is a fake idea and you can ignore disney's new bad movies and no one can stop you but yourself

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

mastershakeman posted:

It probably would have been Snoke in this scene if he hadn't been killed off in TLJ

Sylink
Apr 17, 2004

This trilogy reminds me exactly of the prequels in that they could have started the plot on the 3rd movie and went from there, and it would have been better.

Blood Boils
Dec 27, 2006

Its not an S, on my planet it means QUIPS

Sylink posted:

This trilogy reminds me exactly of the prequels in that they could have started the plot on the 3rd movie and went from there, and it would have been better.

But that would mean no pod racing! Hard no

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

Davros1 posted:

It probably would have been Snoke in this scene if he hadn't been killed off in TLJ

that's assuming JJ had any future plans for the characters which I think is a stretch