Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What system will you play the Good COD Game on?
PS4
XBone
PC
generic comedy option
View Results

Mr.PayDay
Jan 2, 2004
life is short - play hard

Tim Whatley posted:

Really enjoyed the campaign. I want an entire campaign that's just the night vision sequences. The sound design in this game is goddamn incredible.

Completely agree, the technical fundament is superb. I play this on 7.1 Surround Headphones and it's another level of immersion. Adding to that are the graphics, the lightning and effects , the whole visual experience on 1440p Ultra Settings with Raytracing and 150% /4K Rendersscaling is smooth and loving amazing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug
Wow, I forgot how hard it is picking up a new CoD game. I’m getting slaughtered constantly in MP. Any advice for someone who hasn’t played much CoD in like a decade+?

faantastic
Dec 31, 2006

that dude.

Ugly In The Morning posted:

Wow, I forgot how hard it is picking up a new CoD game. I’m getting slaughtered constantly in MP. Any advice for someone who hasn’t played much CoD in like a decade+?

Get the M4, downsight anytime you think you're within 5seconds of seeing someone, mount on cars, headshots are v good.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

Ugly In The Morning posted:

Same, am no good at CoD tactics or reactions, prefer PUBG slow and stealthy.

I find it helpful for me to 'team' up with someone in the team. Just follow whoever is closest when you spawn. Stay with him, watch the corners he isn't watching, and back him up if hes shooting at someone.

Beeb
Jun 29, 2003

Good hunter, free us from this waking nightmare

I had a stretch of bad games last night, but dead silence helped me a lot in all of them. Flank wide around the map, keep an eye on the hud, put your shoes on and hose some folks down as you zoom around with the speed bonus it gives you. Kills with dead silence active extend its duration, too!

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Every day takes figurin' out all over again how to fuckin' live.
Slippery Tilde
One thing I'd really wish they'd implement is the option to assign your special per loadout. If I've got a rushing SMG class slap dead silence on it, if I'm playing overwatch then I can have an ammo restock.

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib
So I keep hearing about the game having a weird fixation about shooting mothers that panic and go fo a gun while their children cry over their corpse.

I also hear that you also are literally unable to shoot ally combatants, even accidentally.

Is this true? Because :psyduck:

I would have though that the so called realism mode would remove that...

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

Unlucky7 posted:

So I keep hearing about the game having a weird fixation about shooting mothers that panic and go fo a gun while their children cry over their corpse.

I also hear that you also are literally unable to shoot ally combatants, even accidentally.

Is this true? Because :psyduck:

I would have though that the so called realism mode would remove that...

You absolutely can shoot non-combatants, although it usually game overs you. But the people or enemies that have to stay alive for plot reasons are invincible

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

Now, in the quantum moment before the closure, when all become one. One moment left. One point of space and time.

I know who you are. You are destiny.

Second match after installing and this poo poo just makes me nervous. I feel like I'm way past my prime and play too little MP to place near the top of anything.

Oh well!

Anyway, is realism good hard or annoying hard? And is it tuned for a first play-through? I've played nearly every cod game so it's not like I'm jumping in entirely blind.

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

I just want to play! Why do I have to do 3 hours worth of downloads :(

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Major takeaway from the campaign for people going into it for the first time, push everything that you know about Price out the window. He is an entirely new character in both personality and how he is supposed to he viewed. The tone here is modern day Black Ops, not the Modern Warfare style, and you aren't supposed to think of his actions as heroic.

I think that is what squicked me out so much about this, I was working on my assumptions off old Price to see how the world was supposed to be viewed.

Honestly, the game would be a lot better if he was just another character entirely, like they did with Alex Mason.

Live At Five!
Feb 15, 2008
People saying Battlefield is slow and tactical have never played Battlefield apparently. Battlefield is over the top madness (or in BFV's case badness) not plodding and slow.

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

Live At Five! posted:

People saying Battlefield is slow and tactical have never played Battlefield apparently. Battlefield is over the top madness (or in BFV's case badness) not plodding and slow.

Yea I run and gun like a madman in every battlefield. It’s nothing like people are describing it as ITT.

Constellation I
Apr 3, 2005
I'm a sucker, a little fucker.
Yeah, if anything that one map here is Siege of Shanghai V2

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

CuddleCryptid posted:

Major takeaway from the campaign for people going into it for the first time, push everything that you know about Price out the window. He is an entirely new character in both personality and how he is supposed to he viewed. The tone here is modern day Black Ops, not the Modern Warfare style, and you aren't supposed to think of his actions as heroic.

I think that is what squicked me out so much about this, I was working on my assumptions off old Price to see how the world was supposed to be viewed.

Honestly, the game would be a lot better if he was just another character entirely, like they did with Alex Mason.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I recall Price shooting an unarmed PoW after he was finished interrogating him in 4.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Mister Facetious posted:

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I recall Price shooting an unarmed PoW after he was finished interrogating him in 4.

Sure, but that's average everyday war crimes, versus some of the gangland poo poo he does in this game.

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib

CuddleCryptid posted:

Funny, because I thought that Price and his band of goons were borderline psychopaths that happened to be on the side of the lesser evil in the MW trilogy.

EDIT: He also detonated a nuke over a major continent.

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

I'm genuinely surprised at all the talk about the campaign, connection issues aside

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Unlucky7 posted:

Funny, because I thought that Price and his band of goons were borderline psychopaths that happened to be on the side of the lesser evil in the MW trilogy.

EDIT: He also detonated a nuke over a major continent.

Factually you are correct, but I never got the feeling that the devs wanted us to recognize that.

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

Now, in the quantum moment before the closure, when all become one. One moment left. One point of space and time.

4/MW2 was always very 24, where they wanted you to think "well okay I guess torture/execution of POWs is okay just this once if you promise it's so you can save the world"

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib

CuddleCryptid posted:

Factually you are correct, but I never got the feeling that the devs wanted us to recognize that.

I feel like the read can be intentional for the first MW at least, where the Marines were also portrayed as basically meat heads that were treating the invasion as their personal war movie, and had their Big drat Heroes moment (quite literally) blow up in their face. All bets are off afterwards though.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

Black Griffon posted:

4/MW2 was always very 24, where they wanted you to think "well okay I guess torture/execution of POWs is okay just this once if you promise it's so you can save the world"

"Do you think this will stop the bloodshed?"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bI1pVc0XJDI&t=41s

Mister Facetious fucked around with this message at 21:45 on Oct 26, 2019

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

So does Activision-Blizzard just completely not give a gently caress about people naming themselves the n-word? How is it even possible to do that?

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Fallom posted:

So does Activision-Blizzard just completely not give a gently caress

Correct

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

Just dropped:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eAg3yp2C2uU

soggybagel
Aug 6, 2006
The official account of NFL Tackle Phil Loadholt.

Let's talk Football.
Just to clarify something for PS4 players as it’s not clearly spelled out.

If you pick classic Spec Ops it’s just that one wave based survival mode in the desert.

If you pick PUBLIC match or whatever its called (the first option in the coop menu) that’s where you can select 1 of the 4 currently available spec ops missions, where your class that you can choose in the sub menu matter. Its 4 person spec ops mode.

E: also I’m not finding it to be too campy. But I do agree I wish the maps were a bit better.

soggybagel fucked around with this message at 22:51 on Oct 26, 2019

Elendil004
Mar 22, 2003

The prognosis
is not good.

soggybagel posted:

Just to clarify something for PS4 players as it’s not clearly spelled out.

If you pick classic Spec Ops it’s just that one wave based survival mode in the desert.

If you pick PUBLIC match or whatever its called (the first option in the coop menu) that’s where you can select 1 of the 4 currently available spec ops missions, where your class that you can choose in the sub menu matter. Its 4 person spec ops mode.

E: also I’m not finding it to be too campy. But I do agree I wish the maps were a bit better.

That is so loving stupid. So can you not do spec ops with just your friends?

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

Get high and think of me.

A friend of mine told me earlier today that a character in the campaign at one point claims that the bombing of Highway 80 was perpetrated by the Russians. Is that true? Because if so, that might be the most blatant bit of propaganda ever to come out of a Call of Duty game.

JordanKai fucked around with this message at 23:02 on Oct 26, 2019

Lumpy the Cook
Feb 4, 2011

Drippy-goo-yay, mother-gunker!

JordanKai posted:

A friend of mine told me earlier today that a character in the campaign at one point claims that the bombing of Highway 80 was perpetrated by the Russians. Is that true? Because if so, that might be the most blatant bit of propaganda ever to come out of a Call of Duty game.

Early on in the game the Russian military rolls into a town and exterminates civilians in, according to the subtitles, retaliation for an attack on a convoy. That town's name in the multiplayer map that takes place in it is literally Haditha

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

Get high and think of me.

Lumpy the Cook posted:

Early on in the game the Russian military rolls into a town and exterminates civilians in, according to the subtitles, retaliation for an attack on a convoy. That town's name in the multiplayer map that takes place in it is literally Haditha

This sucksss

Lumpy the Cook
Feb 4, 2011

JordanKai posted:

This sucksss

I can’t say I wasn’t expecting it after they put up that blog post boasting about the military people they had “advising” them on the games narrative, but still... lol

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

JordanKai posted:

I don't know what you are talking about, the game is set in the fictional country of Urzikstan, and any relation to any possible mass attack by American troops being pinned on "the bad guys" russia is entirely coincidental.

Lumpy the Cook
Feb 4, 2011

On a related note, a CIA agent who cares about other people and isn’t a backstabbing psychopath is far and away the most bizarre and unbelievable thing I’ve ever seen in a Call of Duty game, and yes that includes detonating a nuke over Washington DC to save it and fighting Kevin Spacey’s global mercenary army and helping Stabler from Law and Order SVU blow up a bunch of giant cyborg hearts

e: oh I forgot Oliver North was one of the good guys in Black Ops 2. Make that the SECOND most bizarre and unbelievable thing.

Lumpy the Cook fucked around with this message at 00:03 on Oct 27, 2019

drkeiscool
Aug 1, 2014
Soiled Meat
... wasn’t highway 80 a thing in the first Gulf War?

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

LISTEN TO WHAT I HAVE TO SAY AS IT'S INCREDIBLY IMPORTANT!

drkeiscool posted:

... wasn’t highway 80 a thing in the first Gulf War?

Yep, the famed Highway of Death.

drkeiscool
Aug 1, 2014
Soiled Meat
But then why is it mentioned in a game set almost 30 years later?

Plan Z
May 6, 2012

JordanKai posted:

Definitely never happened. I'm guessing they're just trying to write a really lovely alt-history thing.

Condoleezza Nice!
Jan 4, 2010

Lite som Robin Hood
fast inte
So uh the challenges seem a bit borked right now

:thunk:

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

Anyone know if there's a way to stop stuttering during cinematics? Moving the game to my SSD the only option I'm assuming?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Comments after playing a few hours today:

The sound design is incredible. They did a great job making things sound powerful and adding in a bunch of audio cues that you can use to your advantage.

I love that the maps feel like going back to CoD 4 and MW2. They're not all great, but I really like finding the powerful positions in each one and kind of making them my home for much of the round.

ARs are back to being good again. They're extremely effective at countering snipers, who are given away by obvious lensflares.

p. good cod imo