Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

If they are consenting adults who loving cares.

I met Bruce Boxleitner at a con a few years ago. My now fiancé saw him too and was smitten. Saying he was really attractive. The dude was about 65 then and she 27. Same with Sean Bean and thinking his look in Game of Thrones was amazing.

Old money and good looks goes a long way in keeping you attractive. Stop being weirdos about it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Paragon8
Feb 19, 2007

I mean its a little funny because he starred in a movie 20 years ago that roasts him for being engaged to a 26 year old that makes jokes about how she's young enough to be his daughter.

It does kind of speak to the culture of hollywood that values young women and discards them while men go on to have long careers. It's getting a little better but 20-30 year age gaps are fairly common for love interests and just create a vacuum of roles for not only middle aged women but younger men.

Wendell
May 11, 2003

Bust Rodd posted:

What does a 60 year old man get out of marrying a 26 year old woman?

At the end of the day Dennis Quaid could probably end up with any of thousands of breathtakingly gorgeous women in their 30’s, 40’s and 50’s. Have seen Carmen Electra or Heather Locklear lately? It absolutely could be about more than just having a deeply unbalanced power dynamic in the relationship where the older man is in charge, but if not that, why?

Like Ok, sure a 26 year getting swept off her feet by a famous and rich movie star is extremely Hollywood, but I’m kind of surprised that in a thread that discusses sexual dynamics and power dynamics so readily that we can’t have a discussion about what this relationship represents?

What does a man his age even have to talk to with a 26 year old? What perspectives and axis are they bonding over? On its face it just seems somewhat transactional.

Full disclosure, I’m dating a 26 year old, but I’m 31, and the gaps in our interests and youth culture seems pretty massive to me. She’s dated men in their 40’s and 50’s before, rich doctors and business executives, and they basically always break it off when it stops being about just having sex and going to dinner and buying her stuff.

I don’t think Dennis Quaid raped his new wife, I’m not accusing him of sexual assault, but if the “Culture of Hollywood” such as it exists, can foster this relationship or Leanoardo’s revolving door, aren’t those just tiny normalizations of misogyny and power imbalances that lay the groundwork for weinsteins to go unchecked and unpunished? Nobody speaking up, or calling it out, or I dunno maybe interviewing the new Mrs. Quaid like “how’d you guys meet, what are your interests, what do you have in common?” that sort of stuff.

Also, as an aside, 26 is not the staggering paragon of maturity some people seem to be proposing and someone being a consenting adult doesn’t mean that she’s automatically making healthy decisions. I think this also contributes. It’s not a sexual assault or an actor and a child, she’s a grown woman and can make her own decisions, as though grown women can’t be victimized or groomed or whatever.
Right on, Bust Rodd.

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

floating 26" off da ground. BURR!

Vintersorg posted:

If they are consenting adults who loving cares.

I met Bruce Boxleitner at a con a few years ago. My now fiancé saw him too and was smitten. Saying he was really attractive. The dude was about 65 then and she 27. Same with Sean Bean and thinking his look in Game of Thrones was amazing.

Old money and good looks goes a long way in keeping you attractive. Stop being weirdos about it.

OK, no one is even bringing up sex here. We’re saying the power dynamics in an ONGOING RELATIONSHIP between two people with such a gap is weird, and the extra power in play comes from Dennis Quaid’s Hollywood career. If these were two suburbanites or whatever, it wouldn’t be a discussion here. That’s what would make this a weird thing to talk about.

At the end of the day, yeah, they’re two consenting adults but it’s still a weird situation.

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006
I guess what I'd push is we draw the line between unpacking power dynamics and becoming patronizing. In this specific case I also feel like it's worth noting that it's not like he's marrying some struggling actress. So, there's not this sense of trading power for a relationship. She's a PHD student who is already independently successful. And like look, I totally get that line of logic is a slippery slope.

I think Rhyno probably had the right correction for my original post that this thread is designed around broader culture, but while I won't cosign on everything Joe posted, I think more context around this stuff is important. Because this is obviously different from Weinstein but also very different than Dane Cook or John K.

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...
You also move into some real bizarre classist territory when you start to imply that it's problematic for people to marry across income brackets or whatever the hell.

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005

The quickest substitution in the history of the NBA
Can Dennis Quaid even be considered powerful? Are we sure this woman even realizes that he was kind of famous at one point?

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Mechafunkzilla posted:

You also move into some real bizarre classist territory when you start to imply that it's problematic for people to marry across income brackets or whatever the hell.

The poor shouldn't date the rich, they should eat them.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

Papercut posted:

Can Dennis Quaid even be considered powerful? Are we sure this woman even realizes that he was kind of famous at one point?

Wonder if they hang out with Randy

Prince Myshkin
Jun 17, 2018

Timeless Appeal posted:

PHD student, independently successful.

Pick one.

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM
How does this thread reconcile its general concept while simultaneously denying that a 26 year old grown loving woman has the maturity, agency, and absolute right to marry whoever she wants?
LOVE IS LOVE! (Unless I personally find it icky.)

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

AlternateAccount posted:

How does this thread reconcile its general concept while simultaneously denying that a 26 year old grown loving woman has the maturity, agency, and absolute right to marry whoever she wants?
LOVE IS LOVE! (Unless I personally find it icky.)

I have no problem with her personal choices, it's Quaid who should be put on blast for this.

Origami Dali
Jan 7, 2005

Get ready to fuck!
You fucker's fucker!
You fucker!
That's incoherent. Quaid should only be "put on blast" if he's taking advantage of a woman who apparently can't make decisions about her own life. Since you said you have no problem with her decisions, then what's the problem with Quaid?

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Origami Dali posted:

That's incoherent. Quaid should only be "put on blast" if he's taking advantage of a woman who apparently can't make decisions about her own life. Since you said you have no problem with her decisions, then what's the problem with Quaid?

It's a bad look for him. How is that incoherent?

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005

The quickest substitution in the history of the NBA
Dennis Quaid should go back to living the lonely life he deserves for that Parent Trap remake

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I'm still waiting on that Innerspace sequel.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
https://twitter.com/reuters/status/1184581028209410050?s=21

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang

Rhyno posted:

It's a bad look for him. How is that incoherent?

It's incoherent because you seem to be trying to say that it is both fine and not fine at the same time, delineated along gender lines. It's either acceptable for two adults to marry of their own free will or it isn't, you can't say it's okay for one half of the relationship and not the other. And why the gently caress should 'look' to strangers factor into who a person chooses to marry if they love them?

This whole thing just seems like a weirdly puritanical imposition of propriety on two random people for no other reason than to punish them for not conforming to your personal perception of what a relationship should be. It's honestly quite vile.

Lovely Joe Stalin fucked around with this message at 21:32 on Oct 26, 2019

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
If their genders were reversed it would still look bad. She's free to make her own decisions but he looks like a creep for being a part of that decision.

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

Spotlight on the Weinstein brothers:

Why Has Harvey Weinstein Come Out of Hiding?
https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/why-is-harvey-weinstein-hiding-1249984

Harvey Weinstein’s Ex-Assistant Says He Told Her He ‘Liked Chinese Girls’ Before Assault
https://www.huffpost.com/entry/harvey-weinstein-rowena-chiu-attempted-rape_n_5d9aecfee4b0fc935edcd907

Bob Weinstein Wants Back Into Hollywood. Here's Why Hollywood Shouldn't Let Him
https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/bob-weinstein-wants-back-hollywood-here-s-why-hollywood-shouldn-t-let-him-1249685

Brad Pitt Compares Harvey Weinstein Scandal to Manson Murders
https://www.etonline.com/brad-pitt-compares-harvey-weinstein-scandal-to-manson-murders-129510

Harvey Weinstein to Be Arraigned on New Indictment
https://news.yahoo.com/harvey-weinstein-arraigned-indictment-201654722.html

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

Boywhiz88 posted:

“Creepy as gently caress.” I think you’re misusing that.

Here, let me help by providing you an example of something creepy as gently caress:

https://twitter.com/seanoconnz/status/1186344149181579266?s=21

Hugh Hefner (collecting social security for the last fifteen years): You know, some of my future girlfriends haven't even been born yet.

Hodgepodge posted:

confuscius disapproved of such relationships, except in the case of being without a male heir

with the genders reversed, he was extremely suspicious and generally disapproving

and yet, the i ching, on which he commented on, considered the former more auspicious only in that it could produce offspring, with no harm intrinsicly present in either scenario

It's in violation of that casual formula that some use: Age / 2 + 7

Another one is Diddy and Lori Harvey.

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 245 days!

Zogo posted:

It's in violation of that casual formula that some use: Age / 2 + 7

i'm not sure how expecting love to conform to a mathematical equasion could ever be a problem

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

Hodgepodge posted:

i'm not sure how expecting love to conform to a mathematical equasion could ever be a problem

I haven't really looked into that formula much at all. Apparently the notion has been around for a long time:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xdnX-9YyKCM

It seems that all societies have decided that love is based around numbers. IIRC something like 80% of current US marriages the husband is 0-9 years older than the wife.

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

I'm just making fun of the washed up cradle robber.

Judakel
Jul 29, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!

Sodomy Hussein posted:

DiCaprio is rapidly becoming the new Jack Nicholson both in career and reputation.

God bless him.

Lumbermouth
Mar 6, 2008

GREG IS BIG NOW

Something can be gross as gently caress and not technically illegal. Woody Allen marrying his own adopted daughter for one.

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 245 days!

Zogo posted:

I haven't really looked into that formula much at all. Apparently the notion has been around for a long time:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xdnX-9YyKCM

It seems that all societies have decided that love is based around numbers. IIRC something like 80% of current US marriages the husband is 0-9 years older than the wife.

i also see no problem with assuming the universality of the romantic rules of 1950s america

also that 0-9 is doing a lot of work, the vast majority are simply similar in age, decreasing in likelihood as they diverge from the plurality of marriages in which both partners are the same age

e: link

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Age_disparity_in_sexual_relationships#Statistics

Hodgepodge fucked around with this message at 23:06 on Oct 26, 2019

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

Hodgepodge posted:

think i heard a libertarian say this about age of consent laws once

which isn't applicable to the dennis quaid thing but oof, this conversation is bringing out some weird thoughts in goons

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006
Look, I think the following things are true:

1) It's kind of weird to be romantically involved with someone with a significant age difference. Not necessarily morally wrong, just on a gut level, it feels weird. Like in dating your cousin's cousin sort of way.
2) But like, we all kind of accept that it's fine to be sexually attracted to other adults no matter the age difference. You're not creepy if you're sixty and find someone who is twenty-six attractive. The reverse is also fine.
3) There are cases of people who were technically of the age of consent when they entered an adult relationship, but were basically being groomed as teenagers. So, you can't just shout AGE OF CONSENT and make all these relationships okay.
4) There are power dynamics that can come up in vast age differences that while they may make the relationship unethical, are worthy of reflection
5) Sixty year olds and twenty-five year olds are not aliens. Like age differences obviously create differences, but it's possible to interact with someone significantly older than you as a peer

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Brother Entropy posted:

oof, this conversation is bringing out some weird thoughts in goons

Goons get weird when sexuality is brought up, sky blue, water wet, news at 11.

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

Hodgepodge posted:

i also see no problem with assuming the universality of the romantic rules of 1950s america

also that 0-9 is doing a lot of work, the vast majority are simply similar in age, decreasing in likelihood as they diverge from the plurality of marriages in which both partners are the same age

e: link
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Age_disparity_in_sexual_relationships#Statistics

Yea, I can't say I'm a proponent of that equation at this point.

Brother Entropy posted:

think i heard a libertarian say this about age of consent laws once

which isn't applicable to the dennis quaid thing but oof, this conversation is bringing out some weird thoughts in goons

Libertarian/minarchist types who are against age laws can easily be painted into a very uncomfortable position. If they go the :biotruths: route then they end up in a very precarious position because IIRC the youngest mother on record is like four years old.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!

Timeless Appeal posted:

3) There are cases of people who were technically of the age of consent when they entered an adult relationship, but were basically being groomed as teenagers. So, you can't just shout AGE OF CONSENT and make all these relationships okay.

This is the worst out of all those examples, because you could reasonably assume that the "appeal" (ugh) of the older party is imagining their technically legal boyfriend/girlfriend as being the age they were when they first met. They can look at them and see a young kid, even if they're legally an "adult". It's similar to those creepy parasocial relationships that fans of young actresses have, where they keep track of when the actress turns legal.

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 245 days!

King Vidiot posted:

This is the worst out of all those examples, because you could reasonably assume that the "appeal" (ugh) of the older party is imagining their technically legal boyfriend/girlfriend as being the age they were when they first met. They can look at them and see a young kid, even if they're legally an "adult". It's similar to those creepy parasocial relationships that fans of young actresses have, where they keep track of when the actress turns legal.

I mean, a woman- and based on the weirdness around the stars of Supernatural it probably extends to men too- risks losing fans by coming out because their male fans will no longer be able to imagine themselves in a relationship with them.

Although in the case of the Supernatural guys, their wives were harassed because they threaten the gay incest fantasy explicated in fan fiction.

Which... I... umm...

https://youtu.be/SlA9hmrC8DU

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

Timeless Appeal posted:

5) Sixty year olds and twenty-five year olds are not aliens. Like age differences obviously create differences, but it's possible to interact with someone significantly older than you as a peer

The worlds they grew up in are so different they might as well be seperate planets.

Coffee And Pie
Nov 4, 2010

"Blah-sum"?
More like "Blawesome"
I’m 26 and many of my coworkers are in their 60s. I get along with them alright. I wouldn’t necessarily want to marry any of them, but that’s a personal preference.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY posted:

The worlds they grew up in are so different they might as well be seperate planets.

While that is true, it's also not really a reasonable thing to say for why people can't be in a romantic relationship. Would you say two people from different countries can't marry? Or even two people from different parts of the US? Someone who grew up in the city and someone who is from a small nowhere town will have extremely different experiences in basically every part of their life.

It's fine to say "I think it's creepy because he's old enough to be her grandfather" but I don't really like the idea of saying "People who are too different aren't allowed to be in love!"

Judakel
Jul 29, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
I love how anyone is pretending this isn't mutually beneficial arrangement between these two people, even if unspoken.

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

Judakel posted:

I love how anyone is pretending this isn't mutually beneficial arrangement between these two people, even if unspoken.

Weinstein probably made some of his victims into stars too, I guess everybody wins?

Judakel
Jul 29, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY posted:

Weinstein probably made some of his victims into stars too, I guess everybody wins?

You've jumped the shark when you're quite explicitly comparing Quaid to Weinstein.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Human Tornada
Mar 4, 2005

I been wantin to see a honkey dance.

Judakel posted:

Aren't most marriages mutually beneficial e.g. I love and want to spend my life with my partner and she feels the same way?

Remember when someone posted about Thomas Middleditch bragging about bullying his wife into swinging after he got famous and somehow that was deemed inappropriate for the thread, but two adults getting married belongs here? And Jeff Goldblum (who also has a similar age difference with his partner, by the way) isn't handsy, he's "incredibly tactile". I guess being an internet-approved darling of the nerds has it's perks.