Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fleetwood
Mar 26, 2010

biggest hochul head in china

mysterious frankie posted:

Admittedly I havent watched an avengers movie since the one with ultron, he says I-don’t-even-own-a-tvishly

they really missed an opportunity with Baron Zemo in that one

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bro Dad
Mar 26, 2010

Fleetwood posted:

they really missed an opportunity with Baron Zemo in that one

also a Thunderbolts movie would be a good excuse to bring back Michael B Jordan

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

100 HOGS AGREE posted:

homestuck is back. what does this mean in a post-trump world?

Obama is canon.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Freaking Crumbum posted:

yeah, but it was all still included in the comics (you weren't having to go out and buy different black sail comics or whatever to get the story).

it's like how a lot of video game franchises (like warcraft) have comic book tie-ins and novelizations and all other kinds of cross-media offerings, and the net result is that someone that just engages with the main product (the game) can get completely blindsided when concepts or characters from the books / comics just get dropped into the middle of the story.

i know it's a calculated attempt to make you buy their extra poo poo, and i hate it

Sure but how do you do weird tie in stuff in a TV show that doesn't directly intersect with the main narrative

Printed mediums it's easy, back matter has existed for agws, how do you do that in tv

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

100 HOGS AGREE posted:

homestuck is back. what does this mean in a post-trump world?

That people I knew when I was in high school are getting paid

Seriously I knew Hussie and a bunch of people who went on to work for/with him when I was younger I'm fine with Homestuck because I went them to keep getting checks

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

im still wondering about c3pos red arm not in the sense i actually want to look it up but in the sense of did anyone actually buy whatever dumb tie in product that was obviously promoting

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Some Guy TT posted:

im still wondering about c3pos red arm not in the sense i actually want to look it up but in the sense of did anyone actually buy whatever dumb tie in product that was obviously promoting

absolutely not

im saying this having worked at a comic shop when the tie in came out

nobody

100 HOGS AGREE
Oct 13, 2007
Grimey Drawer
he got it from some other dead gay robot

Farm Frenzy
Jan 3, 2007

they threw all the existing EU poo poo in the bin and then completely reconstructed star wars so that every scene would have a million hooks for brand new even stupider EU poo poo lol

Percelus
Sep 9, 2012

My command, your wish is

so now that i understand twin peaks, was i really not supposed to like the dougie parts of season 3 the most? dougie jones was 100% the star of the return

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Percelus posted:

so now that i understand twin peaks,

Impossible

Percelus
Sep 9, 2012

My command, your wish is

BENGHAZI 2 posted:

Impossible

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7AYnF5hOhuM

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

Some Guy TT posted:

Yeah, lots of people bought Metal Gear Solid V.

Freaking Crumbum
Apr 17, 2003

Too fuck to drunk

BENGHAZI 2 posted:

Sure but how do you do weird tie in stuff in a TV show that doesn't directly intersect with the main narrative

Printed mediums it's easy, back matter has existed for agws, how do you do that in tv

i dunno, my point was they shouldn't do it at all, not that there was a better way to do it that they were somehow missing

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

Think of the good things, Pim! The good things!

Like Jesus, candy, and crackerjacks! Ice cream and cake and lots o'laffs!
Grandma, Grandpa, and Uncle Joe! Larry, Curly, and brother Moe!
Apple TV's flagship sounds full of succ

https://variety.com/2019/tv/reviews/morning-show-apple-jennifer-aniston-reese-witherspoon-1203377967/

quote:

On “The Morning Show,” the highest-profile of the new series Apple is using to launch its streaming service, Reese Witherspoon’s character, Bradley Jackson, has a political philosophy even unlikelier than her name. A field reporter for a regional superstation whose lean, we’re told, lies somewhere between the Sinclair organization and David Duke, Jackson herself is studiously not conservative like her bosses, though she’s no liberal. She’s not neutral, as some reporters try to be, or even centrist. She believes, instead, in everything. “I’m on the human side,” she says. “That means I see both sides.”

This humanism expresses itself first at an anti-coal rally she’s covering, where, when a counterprotestor knocks down her cameraman, she launches into a broadside about the dangers of coal that suddenly twists into a broadside about the dangers of both sides of politics for no clear reason. There is a breathtaking, incoherent moment between Bradley’s description of the hazardous byproduct of coal ash and her declaration that “It is just a big wheel that goes around. Liberals add sanctions, conservatives remove those sanctions, and they just keep fighting. Because all they want to do is hear themselves talk. And they all want to be right. And they all want to win.” She concludes: ”And there’s a human cost! And it’s exhausting!”

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

quote:

In the world of “The Morning Show,” this clip — caught on camera without Bradley’s knowledge — goes viral and sets into motion a string of events that rapidly culminates in her hiring as the cohost of a “Today”-style talk show.

oh for gently caress's sake it's the same set-up they used in Newsroom where someone gets "caught" in an excessively frank "telling it like it is" moment that goes viral

EDIT: also what the gently caress is a politics set somewhere between Sinclair and David Duke supposed to be? That still puts you squarely in the conservative camp, right around the point of W Bush and Reagan

gradenko_2000 has issued a correction as of 14:56 on Oct 28, 2019

A Gnarlacious Bro
Apr 25, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
What's homestuck? could somebody please explain it to me, preferably in a longform essay

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

gradenko_2000 posted:

oh for gently caress's sake it's the same set-up they used in Newsroom where someone gets "caught" in an excessively frank "telling it like it is" moment that goes viral

EDIT: also what the gently caress is a politics set somewhere between Sinclair and David Duke supposed to be? That still puts you squarely in the conservative camp, right around the point of W Bush and Reagan

Sounds more like a setup for Network.

YOU HAVE TAMPERED WITH THE FUNDAMENTAL FORCES OF NATURE, MISS WITHERSPOON! AND YOU MUST ATONE!

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
One Piece whips so much rear end

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

A Gnarlacious Bro posted:

What's homestuck? could somebody please explain it to me, preferably in a longform essay

An incredibly weird and unique snapshot of the internet over a series of moments that has put food on the table for people k used to know

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!

A Gnarlacious Bro posted:

Really boring but I read it anyways because I was really bored.

A Gnarlacious Bro
Apr 25, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I'm never gonna get a funny reply if you keep swooping in to answer it BENGHAZI 2

Okuteru
Nov 10, 2007

Choose this life you're on your own
Homestuck is a webcomic that has a really creepy fanbase. That's pretty much it.

Undertale is the homestuck for this decade.

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

what the hell how did we get back down to three bars again

the annoying thing is i was surprised when the thread was at four bars but it had them so long now im wondering which particular shitpost brought us back down to three

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
Oda: how do I convey what an absolute badass this character was. I got it

He got pussy when he was six

One piece is so dumb and I love it

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Some Guy TT posted:

what the hell how did we get back down to three bars again

the annoying thing is i was surprised when the thread was at four bars but it had them so long now im wondering which particular shitpost brought us back down to three

I vote threads I like 1 bc I don't want to post with the kind of idiot who actually thinks a threads rating matters

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

pretty solid thinking actually

lower rated threads also tend to be the only ones where anyone actually tries to disagree with each other

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

im actually not even sure how to vote on threads nor do i really want to know because numerical ratings are dumb they just make my lizard brain feel good

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

BENGHAZI 2 posted:

Oda: how do I convey what an absolute badass this character was. I got it

He got pussy when he was six

One piece is so dumb and I love it

this is like a Rudy Ray Moore character origin story

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ujfC1wCvVBk&t=77s

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

in more on topic news i have finally watched my third episode of rick and morty for the same reason i watched the first two i saw a meme and wanted to know the context behind it

season three episode ten is a surprisingly on point parody of obama but bears no obvious similarity to him aside from being black which im guessing is how dan harmon managed to avoid being murdered in his sleep

Freaking Crumbum
Apr 17, 2003

Too fuck to drunk

saw the 2nd ep of watchmen last night and it's not grabbing me. it feels like the second episode just created a ton more questions but didn't really do anything to move the story forward

there's a over-long flashback to explain an element of the main lady's backstory that she already clarified completely adequately by saying "i was a cop until i got shot on <MURDER_HOLIDAY> and now i retired" but i guess what we really needed was a 5 minute aside where it shows the events she just described, adding no new information along the way

also really bored with jeremy iron's creepy sex pest dude's B plot. dreading how they're going to tie in his plantation of cloned white slaves with the A plot in tulsa

Mayor Dave
Feb 20, 2009

Bernie the Snow Clown

Freaking Crumbum posted:

saw the 2nd ep of watchmen last night and it's not grabbing me. it feels like the second episode just created a ton more questions but didn't really do anything to move the story forward

there's a over-long flashback to explain an element of the main lady's backstory that she already clarified completely adequately by saying "i was a cop until i got shot on <MURDER_HOLIDAY> and now i retired" but i guess what we really needed was a 5 minute aside where it shows the events she just described, adding no new information along the way

also really bored with jeremy iron's creepy sex pest dude's B plot. dreading how they're going to tie in his plantation of cloned white slaves with the A plot in tulsa

He's pretty obviously Adrian veidt

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

I haven't seen any of the show and probably won't but I was thinking Jeremy Irons would be perfect casting for an old Ozymandias.

Serf
May 5, 2011

i'm glad the refer to it as the "tulsa massacre" and not the dumbass "tulsa race riot"

i'm intrigued by what they're setting up because i know lindelof's rear end can cash the checks he's writing at the moment

best bit is when red scare is beating up some nixonville trash and they're like "fascist" and he goes "i'm not a fascist, i'm a loving communist"

Farm Frenzy
Jan 3, 2007

watchmen is stupid as poo poo but im gonna watch the rest of it. so far the social commentary is slightly better than bright

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I watched all of vice principals that show kicks total rear end and goes some places. bummed the ending was pretty conventional in how it wrapped things up but whatever

Freaking Crumbum
Apr 17, 2003

Too fuck to drunk

Mayor Dave posted:

He's pretty obviously Adrian veidt

yeah imdb currently spoils that plot point if you make the mistake of going to the watchmen page for something unrelated and then browse over the cast list (it was me, i am the dummy that had this secret confirmed by imdb)

the other big tell is that he's writing a play about jon's apotheosis and there's only like 3 or 4 characters in the setting that could even know about it, so it's pretty obvious which one he was going to be

A Gnarlacious Bro
Apr 25, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

Who watches the Watchmen watchers

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MizPiz
May 29, 2013

by Athanatos

Freaking Crumbum posted:

yeah imdb currently spoils that plot point if you make the mistake of going to the watchmen page for something unrelated and then browse over the cast list (it was me, i am the dummy that had this secret confirmed by imdb)

the other big tell is that he's writing a play about jon's apotheosis and there's only like 3 or 4 characters in the setting that could even know about it, so it's pretty obvious which one he was going to be

Is it much of a spoiler if pretty much everyone knew it was Ozymandias when they saw the shot of him in the trailer?