Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
The well of resentment is not blood magic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

Flayer posted:

I thought that last pass to Adams for the try was forward. Fair play though I would like to Wales to win for a NH final and SA are boring as poo poo.

Wouldn't be the first try in this World Cup with a forward pass.

Slumfrog
Feb 14, 2012

BORN TO SLAY
forced to work

Jerusalem posted:

A crack has formed in the window :stare:

Once they tried to go around eventually.

Besides, i didn't say i didn't like it. Nothing wrong with a good period of tactical forward smash n bash, as long as you can hold on to the ball which has been a problem up till now

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Whoever wins, they're really going to need this week off.

hump day bitches!
Apr 3, 2011

They are using their heads like battering rams holy hell

Jedimastafez
Jun 5, 2005

The Stanley Cup has been kidnapped by Gary Bettman! Are you a bad enough dude to rescue it?
LOL Sumo

“Cock monsters him”

Flayer
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
Buglord
Has to be a drop goal for Wales now

Pail Ale
Jul 3, 2007

Bucket Beer
Pillbug
Welp

awesmoe
Nov 30, 2005

Pillbug
at least all that loving kicking practice was good for something

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

Grimey Drawer
They could have ground that out, but they kicked it away again.

Both of them.

Flayer
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
Buglord
Game over. England vs SA...

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

Grimey Drawer
That should be enough.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Jesus gently caress Wales :cripes:

Slumfrog
Feb 14, 2012

BORN TO SLAY
forced to work

goatface posted:

They could have ground that out, but they kicked it away again.

Both of them.

This. 3 minutes to go and you have to score, so best to kick the ball away.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Well I'll always have the memory of Japan beating Ireland I guess.

Deformed Church
May 12, 2012

5'5", IQ 81

god is dead

Pail Ale
Jul 3, 2007

Bucket Beer
Pillbug
Boo

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

Boks deserved it in the end, forward power and defence get them through.

awesmoe
Nov 30, 2005

Pillbug
if the same england shows up for the final, it's going to be a brutalizing

Total Meatlove
Jan 28, 2007

:japan:
Rangers died, shoujo Hitler cried ;_;
The third place playoff is going to be amazing, a fired up New Zealand versus the walking wounded.

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

IT CAN'T BE BARGAINED WITH.
IT CAN'T BE REASONED WITH.
IT DOESN'T FEEL PITY, OR REMORSE, OR FEAR.
AND IT ABSOLUTELY WILL NOT STOP, EVER, UNTIL YOU ADMIT YOU'RE WRONG ABOUT WARHAMMER
Clapping Larry
I wish I could say we got knocked out in a great game of rugby but that was a gross, scrappy, dirty game that was of little interest to the neutral fan. Ultimately lost in the last 5 minutes of the game by concedeing a penalty, kicking the ball away, and then concedeing another. Just goes to show in a close game you really need to be good for the full 80 minutes, being just as good as your opponent for "most" of the match doesn't count.

I'm still of the view Wales can't beat the All Blacks, so it looks like we won't even be getting third.

Slumfrog
Feb 14, 2012

BORN TO SLAY
forced to work
SA have been playing quite structured rugby this world cup, tatical kicking etc, wonder if england can disrupt them as thoroughly as they did nz

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

Kitchner posted:

I wish I could say we got knocked out in a great game of rugby but that was a gross, scrappy, dirty game that was of little interest to the neutral fan. Ultimately lost in the last 5 minutes of the game by concedeing a penalty, kicking the ball away, and then concedeing another. Just goes to show in a close game you really need to be good for the full 80 minutes, being just as good as your opponent for "most" of the match doesn't count.

I'm still of the view Wales can't beat the All Blacks, so it looks like we won't even be getting third.

Eh, I couldn't care less about the 3rd/4th place game, should be done away with.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

Grimey Drawer
I don't think they'll need to. I think they can overpower the defence route one in a way that Japan and Wales couldn't.

Slumfrog
Feb 14, 2012

BORN TO SLAY
forced to work
Also here's to a final packed with flaming meteoric destruction

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

If you're not striving to improve, you'll end up going backwards.
SA were my wild card before the tournament but it sucks Wales couldn't pull through.

DickEmery
Dec 5, 2004
The best least poo poo team won.

Wales seemed to peak about 6 months too early, they've been in decline since about halfway through the Six Nations. Winning may be a habit, but so is not playing very well it appears.
Still, as someone who lived through the 80s and 90s horror, Gatland has turned Wales into a top team and I hope he's proud.

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Baby you can shout at me,
But you can't need my eyes.
Gross

Total Meatlove
Jan 28, 2007

:japan:
Rangers died, shoujo Hitler cried ;_;
15 great players and 15 hamstrings between them

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

IT CAN'T BE BARGAINED WITH.
IT CAN'T BE REASONED WITH.
IT DOESN'T FEEL PITY, OR REMORSE, OR FEAR.
AND IT ABSOLUTELY WILL NOT STOP, EVER, UNTIL YOU ADMIT YOU'RE WRONG ABOUT WARHAMMER
Clapping Larry
I have to say Faf de Klerk was such a little poo poo you have to respect it, and he was everywhere that game. I used to play scrum half when I played for my local team so I have to say hats off to the guy.

HappyCamperGL
May 18, 2014

Faf is a dreamboat!

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Kitchner posted:

I have to say Faf de Klerk was such a little poo poo you have to respect it, and he was everywhere that game. I used to play scrum half when I played for my local team so I have to say hats off to the guy.

He's absolutely essential to the gameplan.

shut up blegum
Dec 17, 2008

--->Plastic Lawn<---
Can't gaff the faf

I have no idea what I'm saying

Foxtrot_13
Oct 31, 2013
Ask me about my love of genocide denial!
That was peek Gatlandball from Wales. Large men running at the defense with no wit or guile hoping they can make a few yards. When that didn't work it was aimless kicking the ball away.

The final is going to be a brutal slugging match between the forwards. It isn't going to be pretty rugby but by god it will be fun.

bigfoot again
Apr 24, 2007

Foxtrot_13 posted:

That was peek Gatlandball from Wales. Large men running at the defense with no wit or guile hoping they can make a few yards. When that didn't work it was aimless kicking the ball away.

The final is going to be a brutal slugging match between the forwards. It isn't going to be pretty rugby but by god it will be fun.

To be fair, most of Wales’s interesting or exciting players are injured. They’d be a bit different with Anscome, Faletau, Williams, etc

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

goatface posted:

He's absolutely essential to the gameplan.

Yeah if you can neutralise Faf you can get on top of South Africa. He's really key to their defensive structure.

Tyma
Dec 22, 2004

I love Leinster and I couldn't be happier that Jordie Barrett has signed with them on a short term deal.
Can we just decline to play in the 3rd place match, and organise something that people actually want to watch, like Japan vs France?

tarbrush
Feb 7, 2011

ALL ABOARD THE SCOTLAND HYPE TRAIN!

CHOO CHOO

Tyma posted:

Can we just decline to play in the 3rd place match, and organise something that people actually want to watch, like Japan vs France?

Would 100% pay to watch that

Apollodorus
Feb 13, 2010

TEST YOUR MIGHT
:patriot:
There has to be a Japan/France end of year test in 2020, right? I mean after this RWC Japan is pretty clearly a Tier 1 nation and should be testing themselves against other T1 teams...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

I think my mass effect is broken

awesmoe posted:

if the same england shows up for the final, it's going to be a brutalizing

The teams that have beaten the All Blacks at a World Cup have a surprisingly poor record when it comes to going on to win. In 1991 and 1995, Australia and South Africa beat them and won the tournament (South Africa doing so in the final, obviously). After that though, the team has been beaten in their very next game.

1999 - France, lost to Australia in the final
2003 - Australia, lost to England in the final
2007 - France, lost to England in the semifinals
2007 - Wayne Barnes, played no further role as a referee in the tournament

This is also the 4th time a team that has lost earlier in the tournament contests the final:
In 1991, it was England, who had been beaten in pool play by the All Blacks.
In 2007, England once again contested a final, having already faced and been beaten by South Africa in pool play.
In 2011, France faced the All Blacks in the final, after having already been beaten by them in pool play.

If South Africa wins, they will be the first team to have won the World Cup, despite a loss earlier in the tournament.

Also, defending champion performances by tournament:
1991 - New Zealand, semifinalists, 3rd
1995 - Australia, quarterfinalists
1999 - South Africa, semifinalists, 3rd
2003 - Australia, runners-up
2007 - England, runners-up
2011 - South Africa, quarterfinalists
2015 - New Zealand, winners
2019 - New Zealand, semifinalists

So yeah, Australia and South Africa are the worst performing defending champions.