Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ChubbyChecker
Mar 25, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE
Okay, that's Perrin, Rand, Mat, Thom, Lan, Moiraine, Nynaeve, Egwene?, Egwene?, Elayne, Aviendha, Min, Ishamael.

So who's the second Egwene?

Eighties ZomCom
Sep 10, 2008

I think first Egwene is Faile.

ChubbyChecker
Mar 25, 2018

EvilTaytoMan posted:

Correct, the third Moiraine is Faile.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

loving lost it at those faces

Apparatchik Magnet
Sep 25, 2019

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Data Graham posted:

loving lost it at those faces

The only thing that saves this from trash somehow elevates it to perfection.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

EvilTaytoMan posted:

I totally forgot Faile even existed :blush:

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
fiddly digits, itchy britches
I love you all
Warrior of the Altaii:
Philip Pullman is very lucky this book wasn't published before His Dark Materials.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

whoa, what just happened here?

College Slice
Statistically shouldn't at least one of those have a boob window dress?

beathhail
Aug 21, 2015
The Boob-Window dresses were the friends we made along the way

mewse
May 2, 2006

:lol:

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

College Slice

I'm pretty sure Aviendha should be included in this lineup.

Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

The more tragic things get,
the more I feel like laughing.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE posted:

I'm pretty sure Aviendha should be included in this lineup.

She's the one in the cadin'sor.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

Where can I get a framed copy

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

College Slice

Mat Cauthon posted:

She's the one in the cadin'sor.

Yes, but oh christ the joke is that she has the same face as the other 5 under that veil

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Oh my god it's driving me crazy, I had all this snarky fanart I did during my read, and one of them was Nynaeve tugging her braid and making a face like that, only it was copied from this face

And also she wasn't tugging the braid down over her shoulder like that, she was pulling it sideways like she was trying to tear her scalp off by the roots

I can't find it because I seem to have lost all those drawings in a laptop re-image gently caress

Mad Hamish
Jun 15, 2008

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

This is sublime and I can't stop laughing.

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

Can a mod just imbed that into the thread title?

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer
I love how furious all the women are and then Min is just like YOLO

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Mad Hamish posted:

This is sublime and I can't stop laughing.

I couldn't make anything out in the thumbnail so I expanded it and zoomed in, so I had each figure basically filling the screen, and started at the far left and slowly scrolled right.

Perrin... Rand ... Mat ... okay, Thom ... Lan... uhhh whoa WHOA BAHAHHAHAHA

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

College Slice
Looks like internet nerds have dug up 3 more unannounced casting decisions: 2 are Mat's parents, and 1 is a character named "Laila Aybara".

I haven't re-read the relevant sections but apparently Leila Lewin is a character that Perrin was once considering marrying, like Rand and Egwene but slightly further in the past at the time of book 1.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE fucked around with this message at 18:50 on Oct 26, 2019

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler
It would make sense to give Perrin's family more fleshing out, if only to make his return to the Two Rivers in Shadow Rising and the discovery that they're all dead have more dramatic weight.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

College Slice

ONE YEAR LATER posted:

It would make sense to give Perrin's family more fleshing out, if only to make his return to the Two Rivers in Shadow Rising and the discovery that they're all dead have more dramatic weight.

Yeah as it is the books basically tell us about Perrin's family what feels like 1 whole pov before telling us they're dead.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Lol if the series makes up more characters

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011

Dovie'andi se tovya sagain

Yeah as it is the books basically tell us about Perrin's family what feels like 1 whole pov before telling us they're dead.

And yet that moment has me in tears every time.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

College Slice

RC Cola posted:

And yet that moment has me in tears every time.

Book 4 is easily my overall favorite and a lot of it is Perrin's part of the story. Chapters 53 and 56 are probably as fine pieces of writing as RJ has in the entirety of WoT.

Nearly all of it, always get me. Perrin deciding to face to the north. The Women's Circle bucking tradition in 53, then helping out in 56. The little tour Perrin does around the village perimeter.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE fucked around with this message at 20:32 on Oct 26, 2019

Brolander
Oct 20, 2008

i am but a vessel
If you didn't pay attention you might think he was an orphan for how much he quotes the Luhanns.

Brolander fucked around with this message at 21:06 on Oct 26, 2019

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

College Slice

Brolander posted:

If you didn't pay attention you might think he was an orphan for how much he quotes the Luhanns, as if they were surrogate parent figures.

Which makes a kind of sense for a live-in apprenticeship like that.

Brolander
Oct 20, 2008

i am but a vessel

Which makes a kind of sense for a live-in apprenticeship like that.

True, but did he start it when he was like, 4 years old?

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007
I finished Eye of the World last night. I really enjoyed it, no parts of it really dragged, which was the only thing I was concerned about. There is a chapter that really bugged me because of how he wrote it though. I think it was Chapter 33 where he used the concept of “let me jump ahead a few days and tell you where the characters end up and then jump back and describe the last few days up until that point”. It’s a pretty common writing (and film) technique but I just thought it was used really poorly in this case.

A few of the bigger picture concepts were a bit more obtuse than I would’ve liked them to be but hopefully those things get more fleshed out in the following books.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Was that the scarves thing?

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007

Data Graham posted:

Was that the scarves thing?

Yes! In the hay cart?! Wtf was that about.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Mahoning posted:

Yes! In the hay cart?! Wtf was that about.

Idk but you and I are apparently the only ones who thought it was stupid.

Just you wait till a thing in book 2, you'll know it when you see it

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler
It's a time jump forward with a flashback, it's unnecessary and doesn't really work but I think Jordan was trying to break up the monotony of "Rand and Mat stop at a small village and play for food, and then a small farm to do chores for food, and then another small village" but it's very out of place and confusing to most first time readers. I know I was very confused as well when I first read the book. I was also very confused at the prologue during my first read and re-read it a few times to make sure I wasn't missing something, why did I go from a palace to some guy walking down a road??

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

I think the idea is that Rand and Mat are really sick and it's giving them trouble with the concept of linear time

Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

The more tragic things get,
the more I feel like laughing.

Brolander posted:

True, but did he start it when he was like, 4 years old?

Kids that got shipped off for medieval-type apprenticeships weren't much older than that, yeah.

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007

Nihilarian posted:

I think the idea is that Rand and Mat are really sick and it's giving them trouble with the concept of linear time

Right. I think the problem with it is that we’ve been following Mat and Rand traveling down the Caemlyn road and it flashes forward to....Mat and Rand.....traveling down the Caemlyn road.

If the chapter started out with the lightning strike and THEN went back for you to find out how they got to there, it would work.

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

Yea it’s weird, he probably needed some transition to those and the dream sequences. They just kinda happen and you have to orient yourself to going with it till he decides when to explain it. You get used to it but it’s very jarring and if it isn’t interesting to read will drag a bit.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
fiddly digits, itchy britches
I love you all
There's also nothing else in the book, and maybe even the series, that operates that way. I was expecting it this reread and how he transitions from "this is where we are right now" to "now we're in the past" is at best vague and is sloppily handled so that first time readers could easily think the story is progressing forward when it's actually gone back a few days.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

I don’t even remember that one specifically and I read it recently. I just know whenever I’m confused the most with his writing is when he just time travels/dream prophecies all of a sudden. It might also be cause I’m reading on kindle but there has been a couple times he switches perspectives without a break and it takes like 3 paragraphs before you can figure that out.