Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PizzaProwler
Nov 4, 2009

Or you can see me at The Riviera. Tuesday nights.
Pillowfights with Dominican mothers.

Volcott posted:

I first saw Donald Glover in those Derrick Comedy youtube shorts and thought it was wild when he showed up on Community.

Now he's got award winning stuff in like 7 different disciplines because he's just insanely talented and never seems to take a break.

I watched an interview with Ken Jeong (who shared a trailer with Glover on set for 'Community') and he said whenever they weren't shooting that Donald would be writing scripts or composing music. Like you said he's always working on something.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Laterite
Mar 14, 2007

It's Gutfest '89
Grimey Drawer

Toshimo posted:

So what? It's appropriate for this thread that trotting out the Sitcom Trophy Wife Trope hasn't aged well.

Is Ross a better character for having "married" Jennifer Aniston?
Is Toias a better character for having "married" Portia de Rossi?

lmao

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
American Dad I hear is actually still good, mostly since they seem to have leaned fully into the crazy poo poo.

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.

Toshimo posted:

So what? It's appropriate for this thread that trotting out the Sitcom Trophy Wife Trope hasn't aged well.

woosh

Grraarrgghh
Feb 12, 2012

"Bernard, float over here so I can punch you."

Ghost Leviathan posted:

American Dad I hear is actually still good, mostly since they seem to have leaned fully into the crazy poo poo.

It's mixed but it's loving worlds better than Family Guy. This is due to the Matt Weitzman effect, who coincidentally stopped writing for Family Guy immediately after the reboot.

somepartsareme
Mar 10, 2012

Diggle Hell is a Real
(Swingin') Place
a wise poster once said you could replace all of seth mcfarlane's shows with 5 minutes of a guy singing about how gays are gross in a showtunes voice and no one would notice

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Henchman of Santa posted:

Why have any of you been watching Family Guy any time recently?

I watched a YouTube clip last week that was actually kind of funny. That was the first time I had watched any Family Guy in...uuuhhh, let's see...*counts on fingers* about 8,527 years.

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

I almost watched the one that was just Stewie talking at his psychiatrist for an entire episode time but when I realised what the gimmick was I immediately stopped.

Which is funny because I loved the Bojack Horseman episode that did that.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY posted:

I almost watched the one that was just Stewie talking at his psychiatrist for an entire episode time but when I realised what the gimmick was I immediately stopped.

I love My Dinner With Andre but I don't want to just watch every meal Wallace Shawn ever had.

londonarbuckle
Feb 23, 2017

christmas boots posted:

With Jerry the joke is precisely that: how completely undeserved his treatment is. Yeah, he's kind of a klutz sometimes--which isn't really worse than any of the other character's idiosyncrasies--but then you have the mural they all dismiss because he fucks up a word even though it's infinitely better than anyone else's, and the painting he does that Leslie throws in the lake without a second thought. IMO the show does undercut this a bit by having an entire episode devoted to how Jerry feels about being the butt of the joke and ultimately being ok with it because he's going to retire, the outrageous absurdity isn't as funny if they actually ground it. Which is why I think the joke works even better with the guy who keeps getting shoe shines from Andy

Ah yes, when I think of wild outrageous absurdity I definitely think of Parks & Rec.

goddamn what a complete tonal mess that show and the US office were

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

A key thing is that Bojack Horseman is, for the most part, built around treating the main characters as if they're real people, not just vehicles for jokes.

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

Henchman of Santa posted:

Why have any of you been watching Family Guy any time recently?

Because sometimes I fall asleep during Bob's Burgers if I'm really tired after work and I wake up with Family Guy on, and I'm too tired to bother changing the channel. :v:

Vandar has a new favorite as of 15:18 on Oct 27, 2019

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Bob's Burgers is good, and I don't remember anything problematic about it.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Toshimo posted:

What the gently caress are you talking about. Jerry wife isn't played as a trophy at all, they're in a happy, healthy relationship with grown children. The whole point is he has an amazing and fulfilling life outside work in contrast to being the office whipping boy.

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

I've got a pocket full of cheese🧀, and a garden full of trees🌴.

All this talk about rapists being glorified in comedy shows and nobody is talking about Barney in How I Met Your Mother.

his character is unrepentantly a date-rapist that tricks girls to sleeping with him, and has no redeemable features. The show tries to make him a "good friend" etc. but even then it is all done by Barney being selfish and manipulative to the people closest to him to satisfy his whims.

Yet he is the character that gets all the "funny" quotable lines, and there are far more people than I am comfortable with that idolize him and his corporate rapist manipulative selfish arsehole ways.

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

I'm okay with funny characters being irredeemable as long as the show doesn't try to redeem them.

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

I can't even watch a 10 second clip of that because of the vast difference in recording quality between McKellen and McFarlane's voices. McKellen's audio sounds so muffled I wouldn't be surprised he recorded the whole thing in his house with a bunch of budget podcasting equipment (can't blame him for that, though).

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

londonarbuckle posted:

Ah yes, when I think of wild outrageous absurdity I definitely think of Parks & Rec.

goddamn what a complete tonal mess that show and the US office were

Can you elaborate cause I’m rewatching P&R right now and the only tonal dissonance I’ve noticed is between the first and second seasons which is pretty common with sitcoms

Parakeet vs. Phone
Nov 6, 2009

somepartsareme posted:

a wise poster once said you could replace all of seth mcfarlane's shows with 5 minutes of a guy singing about how gays are gross in a showtunes voice and no one would notice

American Dad is mostly free from that thanks to Seth apparently leaving it alone after the first season. They've been doing their own incredibly weird thing for awhile now, for better or worse.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Parakeet vs. Phone posted:

American Dad is mostly free from that thanks to Seth apparently leaving it alone after the first season. They've been doing their own incredibly weird thing for awhile now, for better or worse.

Weirdly enough leaning into Roger being an alien magic wild card who can do and be literally anything and anyone has actually worked really well.

Zwille
Aug 18, 2006

* For the Ghost Who Walks Funny

BrigadierSensible posted:

All this talk about rapists being glorified in comedy shows and nobody is talking about Barney in How I Met Your Mother.

his character is unrepentantly a date-rapist that tricks girls to sleeping with him, and has no redeemable features. The show tries to make him a "good friend" etc. but even then it is all done by Barney being selfish and manipulative to the people closest to him to satisfy his whims.

Yet he is the character that gets all the "funny" quotable lines, and there are far more people than I am comfortable with that idolize him and his corporate rapist manipulative selfish arsehole ways.

I think it’s kind of funny because the story essentially is told from Ted‘s POV and he’s basically trying to make Barney look as bad as possible and it kinda makes sense given who the „mother“ is. But yeah Barney hasn’t aged well.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Weirdly enough leaning into Roger being an alien magic wild card who can do and be literally anything and anyone has actually worked really well.

I liked his more bizarrre subplots like the one where one of his alter egos (he likes to dress as a random human character and go out and interact with the world) becomes too real and they end up in a one-sided war as Roger tries to destroy this stranger's life not realising that he is that stranger.

Also the one where he is pretending to be Francine's husband for a party and they start sabotaging each other's backstory. "Tell them how you killed our baby Francine." "Roger no!" "*whispering to her* Too late. It's been established!"

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer
It's odd that Seth McFarlane's Orville is so low key in contrast to literally everything else he's done. They seem to handle a race of all males who have babies with one another with a surprising amount of tact. The only questionable episode was a blue Rob Lowe emitting sex pheromones so two hostile alien ambassadors bone each other into peace, which I'm pretty sure doesn't count as consent.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

I'm okay with funny characters being irredeemable as long as the show doesn't try to redeem them.

How I Met Your Mother did try really hard to redeem Barney though.

Baba Yaga Fanboy
May 18, 2011

BrigadierSensible posted:

Or the episode where he straight-up admits to selling a woman into human trafficking.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
All this stuff is a consequence of shows just running too long. Eventually you have to try to add depth to the character even though you've already joked about them doing truly terrible things. Or I guess you get rid of the character or something, which presents its own challenges. Or you up the ante and make them even worse, which debatably works on something like South Park, but definitely wouldn't work everywhere.

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

American Dad is surprisingly okay and as far as I've seen shockingly inoffensive, for the most part.

Kwyndig posted:

Bob's Burgers is good, and I don't remember anything problematic about it.

Bob's Burgers is wholesome as gently caress and I'm real excited about the movie next year.

londonarbuckle
Feb 23, 2017

Aesop Poprock posted:

Can you elaborate cause I’m rewatching P&R right now and the only tonal dissonance I’ve noticed is between the first and second seasons which is pretty common with sitcoms

It seemed like it never knew if it wanted to be a heartearming show about a plucky civic servant or an absurd and cynical show where one character is inexpliably loathed by all the others, for example, and it tried to have it both ways in a way that was pretty weak a lot of the time. Which is really just a set of problems carried over from the US Office and made worse by trying to repeat it.

For what it's worth I really only saw seasons 2 and 3 of P&R but I think those are the most beloved ones anyway.

londonarbuckle has a new favorite as of 15:40 on Oct 27, 2019

hyperhazard
Dec 4, 2011

I am the one lascivious
With magic potion niveous
Bob's Burgers is great because the family members actually like each other. I was watching old Simpsons the other day, and I don't think I realized before just how toxic that family was. There are petty squabbles, but at the end of the day Bob and Linda never resent the kids, which is a major trope in other animated comedies.

londonarbuckle posted:

It seemed like it never knew if it wanted to be a heartearming show about a plucky civic servant or an absurd and cynical show where one character is inexpliably loathed by all the others, for example, and it tried to have it both ways in a way that was pretty weak a lot of the time. Which is really just a set of problems carried over from the US Office and made worse by trying to repeat it.

For what it's worth I really only saw seasons 2 and 3 of P&R but I think those are the most beloved ones anyway.

Introducing Adam Scott and Rob Lowe to the cast was the smartest thing that show ever did. They don't really go from being the antagonists to the protagonists until midway through Season 3, though, so it's worth watching more to see how they develop the characters.

The arc with Leslie running for city counsel (Season 4) is probably the best.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

hyperhazard posted:

Bob's Burgers is great because the family members actually like each other. I was watching old Simpsons the other day, and I don't think I realized before just how toxic that family was. There are petty squabbles, but at the end of the day Bob and Linda never resent the kids, which is a major trope in other animated comedies.

It does a great job innovating on the Simpsons formula and is a much better attempt at a latter-day Simpsons than other animated shows that follow the formula more slavishly.

Bob in particular is great as a repudiation of where Homer's character went. He's passionate and talented at what he does and is a genuinely nice guy.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

Vandar posted:

Bob's Burgers is wholesome as gently caress and I'm real excited about the movie next year.

Yeah the only kind of iffy part in Bob's I can think of was some of Marshmallow's early appearances but I don't think it was at all intentional.

The show is one of the best feel good comedies on TV right now.

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

On the internet, nobody knows you're a dog.

Season 1 didn't really work for me but Video Game Addiction episode on is amazing.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Mokinokaro posted:

Yeah the only kind of iffy part in Bob's I can think of was some of Marshmallow's early appearances but I don't think it was at all intentional.
Marshmallow's pretty well accepted by all the cast. Louise's first interaction is basically "they got the name because they're sexy as gently caress, right?"... but they are played off a little heavily into the "kind of weird, right" tone of the first season.

Their introduction being in the Ladies of the Night Taxi episode is probably what makes the character a little iffy.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

BioEnchanted posted:

I liked his more bizarrre subplots like the one where one of his alter egos (he likes to dress as a random human character and go out and interact with the world) becomes too real and they end up in a one-sided war as Roger tries to destroy this stranger's life not realising that he is that stranger.

Also the one where he is pretending to be Francine's husband for a party and they start sabotaging each other's backstory. "Tell them how you killed our baby Francine." "Roger no!" "*whispering to her* Too late. It's been established!"

I think it also helps that going along with Roger's poo poo helps establish that everyone's almost as crazy as he is.

That and the regular hints that Stan is effectively a functional (barely) sociopath.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Krispy Wafer posted:

It's odd that Seth McFarlane's Orville is so low key in contrast to literally everything else he's done. They seem to handle a race of all males who have babies with one another with a surprising amount of tact. The only questionable episode was a blue Rob Lowe emitting sex pheromones so two hostile alien ambassadors bone each other into peace, which I'm pretty sure doesn't count as consent.

Its because he really really wants to just do an actual Star Trek series and not worry about drawing in a big crowd with gross out offensive humor for ratings success.

CityMidnightJunky
May 11, 2013

by Smythe
It's also probably because The Orville is his ST: TNG fan fic and TNG is one of the most progressive and least controversial shows to co e out of the 90's.

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

More like "Bulges Adventure"
One reason why American Dad works because every character on the show takes a turn as a punching bag, and have positive and negative qualities. Some have more negative qualities than others (*cough*Roger*cough).

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

CityMidnightJunky posted:

It's also probably because The Orville is his ST: TNG fan fic and TNG is one of the most progressive and least controversial shows to co e out of the 90's.

Uhhhh...

( :thejoke: ?)

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
It's a shame every episode of Bob's Burgers has the exact same saccharine sweet structure. You don't need to watch more than one and probably won't want to.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sweet geek swag
Mar 29, 2006

Adjust lasers to FUN!

American Dad does have a running gag that Roger is a rapist, but it works better than Quagmire because aliens raping people is an actual conspiracy theory, so it sort of functions as satire, even if it's really crude satire. Also they had an episode where Andy Dick showed up and he was just like Roger except worse in every way.