Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
Yeah, that Palm Trees map from Rustic and poo poo like that breaks performance. But simpler maps that worked fine for months still don't manage to reach the previous performance on the latest build? As far as mods go, from what I can tell, most of the modules haven't updated since 1.3, definitely none I'm using. Yet I'm getting this huge performance difference between 1.3 and 1.4 with the same mods, so they're not it either. I don't have CameraPlus installed, either.

What I see tho in 1.4x is when I actually manage to configure things in such that simpler maps reach my desired framerate, at least at the very beginning, as soon I'm hitting blocks, the frame timing graph in fpsVR is having tons of fast spikes and everything jitters.

No idea what they've done, because reinstalls don't fix it here. And apparently not for other people, according to Steam forums and posts on Reddit. I even went through all the different system folders like AppData and ProgramData scrubbing settings and what not. At least you can still download the old 1.3 depot from Steam by dicking around in their dev console. It's just a pain in the rear end to actually use it, with Steam wanting to immediately update it again, unless you're "offline".

I sure hope it isn't some dumbass performance hacks in common code intended for Quest optimization that's firing back.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

Figures, now I'm having the same issues with 1.3. That's what I get for opening my mouth. The first four minutes of a 6 minute song, everything works dandy, then it started doing the same poo poo. Right in the middle of it. There wasn't even anything out of the ordinary in that section, effects- or otherwise. Sigh.

rage-saq
Mar 21, 2001

Thats so ninja...
Delete the hyperbolic magnetism folder in %localappdata%/locallow/
Also if you are talking about a oculus debug don’t set it to 1.3 that’s really high.
I have an index and TBH I run beat saber at 1.0SS even though my 2080ti can easily handle 3.0SS.
Setting 2x MSAA makes a bigger difference than 3.0SS (steam, approx 1.7 oculus) in that game.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

^^^ Already tried all that stuff in the past.

I've been poking around with Process Explorer at it. The game spends like 75% of its CPU time in the kernel. Why? It has no business there. This seems to be some bullshit with the Unity Engine, which most VR games on my system are using. Anything else, based on Unreal, whatever else and even Steam Home, they spent not even 10% in the kernel.

Unity is a loving piece of poo poo. Something in Windows 10 1909 is loving with it again. Or rather, it shits itself for god knows what reason.

--edit: I'm getting frame times of up to 20-22ms on a fresh reinstall of Beat Saber. With 1.0 SS and otherwise default settings.

Combat Pretzel fucked around with this message at 21:45 on Oct 26, 2019

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

Combat Pretzel posted:

^^^ Already tried all that stuff in the past.

I've been poking around with Process Explorer at it. The game spends like 75% of its CPU time in the kernel. Why? It has no business there. This seems to be some bullshit with the Unity Engine, which most VR games on my system are using. Anything else, based on Unreal, whatever else and even Steam Home, they spent not even 10% in the kernel.

Unity is a loving piece of poo poo. Something in Windows 10 1909 is loving with it again. Or rather, it shits itself for god knows what reason.

--edit: I'm getting frame times of up to 20-22ms on a fresh reinstall of Beat Saber. With 1.0 SS and otherwise default settings.

75% cpu? What CPU?

I'm not even at 75% with LIV + Wireless + Game + OVRdrop + 6 other things.

And ya. Unity. lol

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

I said it's spending 75% of its runtime in the kernel. There's no reason for the kernel to be doing three times the work of the game. Unity is throwing the system in a tizzy in some way. I say Unity, because all Unity games are doing it here.

I'm currently trying to figure out how to trace syscalls without installing half a million tools, because on Windows, things have to be complicated. Maybe then I get an answer.

Also, my CPU is a 16-core Threadripper, so there's plenty of room to spare for threads running rampant. Max. core usage is 50-60% when the game runs.

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

NEVER FUCKING TAKE A NIGHT OFF CLAN WARS.
This sounds like typical Ryzen/Threadripper problems.

Wheezle
Aug 13, 2007

420 stop boats erryday

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

Did you set “-vrmode oculus” in the steam launch options?

right click the game in Steam > properties > set launch options > type in "-vrmode oculus" without quotes.

Thanks, this seems to have done the trick or at least has had a nice placebo effect.

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

Hellsau posted:

This sounds like typical Ryzen/Threadripper problems.

The couple threadripper machines ive captured on for MR have been fine. There was some stupid early on but it had been fine afterwards.

All I know is my poo poo never maxes out and still has engine issues at times and the only 'Fix" for any amount of time is reinstall game entirely and only move over my config after a mod and game reinstall.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Wheezle posted:

Thanks, this seems to have done the trick or at least has had a nice placebo effect.

Yeah there are some wonky things that change when you don’t set the vrmode correctly and it seems to differ between headset models. My OG Rift for instance refused to vibrate when I hit blocks until I set that mode

Mr Luxury Yacht
Apr 16, 2012

Picked up a couple new games over the last couple weeks.

Fallout 4 VR is currently like $20 and while it sure as hell isn't worth the $80 it normally is for $20 I'd say it worth it for the experience of exploring weird fallout locations in VR

Also grabbed Hotel RnR. It's a bit content bare right now. I breezed through most of the game in like 4 hours. But if it goes on sale it's definitely worth it. Smashing the hell out of hotel rooms is surprisingly cathartic.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
H3VR's gotten some nice fixes in already. The internal inventory persists between runs once again! :peanut:

Anton's also fixed the drop rate on the mouldy and red meat cores apparently.

edit:

If you're in the US and want a cheap (VERY) basic entry point into PCVR, apparently Micro Center's flogging the old HP WMR headsets (not the Reverb) for only $130USD.

Neddy Seagoon fucked around with this message at 07:13 on Oct 27, 2019

EVGA Longoria
Dec 25, 2005

Let's go exploring!

Oculus Quest owns. Really glad I picked one up. Can't wait for Link.

Neddy Seagoon posted:

If you're in the US and want a cheap (VERY) basic entry point into PCVR, apparently Micro Center's flogging the old HP WMR headsets (not the Reverb) for only $130USD.

I bought one of the Acer ones when they went on super sale a year or so ago. It's definitely a first step. Tracking kinda sucks for Beat Saber (the main reason to own VR).

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

At this point it’s probably best to wait for Black Friday as I’m sure some WMR headsets will go real cheap

shrach
Jan 10, 2004

daylight ssssaving time

EVGA Longoria posted:

I bought one of the Acer ones when they went on super sale a year or so ago. It's definitely a first step. Tracking kinda sucks for Beat Saber (the main reason to own VR).

The tracking is fine for beat saber, at least up to expert+, but then your hands are pretty much always in a nice easy place to see.

The tracking problems seem an issue where you need your hands close together/in front of your face like on boxing games or sometimes holding a rifle or in certain games where you need to throw things which involves your hands going out of sight. Some games can handle an action like drawing an arrow from a quiver on your back and some games really struggle with it.

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

shrach posted:

The tracking is fine for beat saber, at least up to expert+, but then your hands are pretty much always in a nice easy place to see.

The tracking problems seem an issue where you need your hands close together/in front of your face like on boxing games or sometimes holding a rifle or in certain games where you need to throw things which involves your hands going out of sight. Some games can handle an action like drawing an arrow from a quiver on your back and some games really struggle with it.

I know multiple people clearing E+ with top 10s on WMR

LIke, Real E+, proper 300+ PP maps.

WMR works great. Just like the Rift S does and the quest do. Note quite as good but its enough to score on serious maps. And score well.

Hell I did tracking demos with sound boxing and art of fight back like 2 years ago and it kept up just fine. With updates and stuff, yeah WMR isnt as bad as people make it out to be. Controllers shape sucks still though.

EbolaIvory fucked around with this message at 17:35 on Oct 27, 2019

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

They released some numbers on the oculus quest. About 400,000 quests sold so far.

They're hoping it's going to be a big Christmas seller.

EVGA Longoria
Dec 25, 2005

Let's go exploring!

shrach posted:

Mine lost tracking when I went high or too far out to the side. It wasn't constant, but there were multiple times I lost tracking in beat saber. Not a speed thing, just an angle. Maybe the cameras are slightly different in the Acer than the others? IDK.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
If you use custom music in Beat Saber, do the beats actually reflect the beats in the song or does it use another song's beats for the cubes?

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

Leal posted:

If you use custom music in Beat Saber, do the beats actually reflect the beats in the song or does it use another song's beats for the cubes?

Depends. If the maps done well by a mapper who isnt a derp, typically they are on time with stuff.

Newer maps fair better.

Also WMR chat.

https://scoresaber.com/u/76561198025285619

That guys on WMR (pretty sure thats the right guy). Top 100 world wide. 90% accuracy on a poo poo ton of maps.

Trying to remember the other persons name off hand. Theres 2 that hang out in my channel.

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

They’re custom made, often poorly. Occasionally you find a good song with rhythm and flow but too often it’s just silly and technically challenging without any groove that coincides with the music.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Leal posted:

Its whatever someone built the level chooses. Typically this means it reflects the beats in the song yeah, but some are better than others.

There's a handful of very high quality custom tracks that actually has you do the proper dance along with the music that you're supposed to do, but those take a ton of effort so not a lot of people are cranking them out.

Its like custom DDR / Stepmania tracks, someone has to make it. Except its way more complicated since they're floating in 3D space and the timing is all more complex with VR involved.

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

Cartoon Man posted:

They’re custom made, often poorly. Occasionally you find a good song with rhythm and flow but too often it’s just silly and technically challenging without any groove that coincides with the music.

This is inaccurate.

Because your skill level isnt to where some of these maps need, don't mean they have no groove.

Old crap, Sure. But the crap to good ratio right now is much higher than before.
Remember. Just because you can't beat a map, and think its "hard". Don't make it a bad map. Some of the things you probably think are insane, I can literally dance and spin playing.

Zaphod42 posted:

Its whatever someone built the level chooses. Typically this means it reflects the beats in the song yeah, but some are better than others.

There's a handful of very high quality custom tracks that actually has you do the proper dance along with the music that you're supposed to do, but those take a ton of effort so not a lot of people are cranking them out.

Believe it or not, some of those faster looking maps actually dance super well. Gold Dust, Back and Forth, Hoohah, Circus, Mean Girls (yeah, you can bop to it, dont @ me)

Thoatse
Feb 29, 2016

Lol said the scorpion, lmao

Zaphod42 posted:

Its like custom DDR / Stepmania tracks, someone has to make it. Except its way more complicated since they're floating in 3D space and the timing is all more complex with VR involved.

the Songs With Fantastic Flow series is a collection of of particularly well made maps. There are like 20-30 maps in each volume and I think there are 5 of them now

https://bsaber.com/fantasticflowvol1/

Ralith
Jan 12, 2011

I see a ship in the harbor
I can and shall obey
But if it wasn't for your misfortune
I'd be a heavenly person today

Thoatse posted:

the Songs With Fantastic Flow series is a collection of of particularly well made maps. There are like 20-30 maps in each volume and I think there are 5 of them now

https://bsaber.com/fantasticflowvol1/
+1 to these, they're not all great but some of them are amazing.

Doctor w-rw-rw-
Jun 24, 2008

Combat Pretzel posted:

I said it's spending 75% of its runtime in the kernel. There's no reason for the kernel to be doing three times the work of the game. Unity is throwing the system in a tizzy in some way. I say Unity, because all Unity games are doing it here.

I'm currently trying to figure out how to trace syscalls without installing half a million tools, because on Windows, things have to be complicated. Maybe then I get an answer.

Also, my CPU is a 16-core Threadripper, so there's plenty of room to spare for threads running rampant. Max. core usage is 50-60% when the game runs.

Try disabling system restore and seeing if there's a meaningful difference.

El Grillo
Jan 3, 2008
Fun Shoe

spacetoaster posted:

They released some numbers on the oculus quest. About 400,000 quests sold so far.

They're hoping it's going to be a big Christmas seller.
You got source on this? I can't find anything in the news.

Happyimp
Sep 26, 2007

I exist I guess.
Looks like Borderlands works with the Index now. Still thinks you are using Vive controllers, but getting good at changing controls for the knuckles is necessary. Has anyone made a mod for Fallout to fix the thumbsticks yet? Crazy how they work well with Skyrim but not Fallout. Must have been ported by a different team.

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

El Grillo posted:

You got source on this? I can't find anything in the news.

https://www.superdataresearch.com/s..._eid=e0b282f78a

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008
Isn't superdata virtually completely pulled out of thin air? I wouldn't trust it for anything tbh

OctaviusBeaver
Apr 30, 2009

Say what now?
Lucky Palmer called that out as being inaccurate. Would definitely be better to get some real numbers from Facebook.

OctaviusBeaver
Apr 30, 2009

Say what now?
Chronos is on sale for $5 in the Oculus store.

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

Lemming posted:

Isn't superdata virtually completely pulled out of thin air? I wouldn't trust it for anything tbh

I've never heard that. Where are you reading that they're just making everything up?

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Generally when you provide sales data you specify how you got it

They were debunked last quarter, too

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

Hadlock posted:

Well that sucks.

I do still want the real numbers and hope we'll get them at some point.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Hadlock posted:

NRVNQSR
Mar 1, 2009

Hadlock posted:

Per their website they have agreements with point of sale retailers to provide them with sales data, and their reports are based on that data.

Presuming that they're not just lying about this and the retailers they have agreements with are relatively large - both of which seem like things Nielsen would have checked when they bought them - it seems reasonable to at least pay attention to their results. They will likely have blind spots for things like sales direct from the manufacturers, or for headsets that don't have good store availability, but for headsets that are sold primarily through Walmart and Amazon it seems reasonable to trust their relative numbers and to say that their absolute numbers are probably within a ballpark.

So unless anyone has anything more concrete against them I'd be inclined to say their PSVR and Quest numbers are probably reasonably trustworthy - certainly more trustworthy than any numbers you would get from Sony or Facebook, who obviously both have strong business reasons to fudge the numbers as much as they can get away with.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
number go up

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

So I have a new problem with the Quest. For the last two nights I've been playing the hell out of H3VR's Rotweiners mode on the Quest through ALVR, and it has been awesome. Today, I powered the Quest on, and it had automatically updated to the latest firmware, with a whole bunch of options removed/changed in the options menu. Additionally, the head tracking is all hosed up - keeping my head stationary, the home menu is....moving. Like slightly waggling side to side and back and forth and up and down, like I'm on a boat. Obviously if I play a game like this I'm going to puke all over my living room.

What the hell happened?

e: it's also wobbling for other people, and it wobbles in the lobby of Thrill of the Fight, and I just know if I try to play a game like this I'm going to puke. Automatic firmware updates are loving atrocious.

Hellsau fucked around with this message at 04:06 on Oct 28, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

hey i think something went horribly wrong with my quest when it autoupdated