Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

The more tragic things get,
the more I feel like laughing.

Tired: Ban Oko.
Wired: Ban Gilded Goose.

Edit: What's in those Brawl preconstructed packs that makes them worth hunting down?

Mat Cauthon fucked around with this message at 18:56 on Oct 27, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received
BTW the 1-for-1 trades with Oko are bad because Oko will have generated value before you have a chance to ping him with a removal spell, advancing your game state none while the opponent has messed up the board for equal or fewer resources than you spent.

Then next turn Questing Beast or Wicked Wolf drops. Or maybe just another Oko while one green mana is open to veil your next removal spell and make it a 0-for-1.

This predicament can happen on turn 2 so you are in a fuckin' hurry as the longer Oko lasts the more value he's generating and the sooner he and gilded goose can shift to full-time elk production and bury you.

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

I AM UNJUSTIFIABLY PROUD OF MY SPAGHETTI BOLOGNESE RECIPE

YES, IT IS AN INCREDIBLY SIMPLE DISH

NO, IT IS NOT NORMAL TO USE A PEPPERAMI INSTEAD OF MINCED MEAT

YES, THERE IS TOO MUCH SALT IN MY RECIPE

NO, I WON'T STOP SHARING IT

more like BOLLOCKnese

Mat Cauthon posted:

Wired: Ban Golden Goose.

Edit: What's in those Brawl preconstructed packs that makes them worth hunting down?

Arcane Signet and the commanders, i'm guessing. There are not a whole lot of 3 colour commanders in Standard right now.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received
Inspired: errata Oko to be 1guu and elking to a 0.

Ate My Balls Redux
Aug 2, 2018

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Orange Fluffy Sheep posted:

BTW the 1-for-1 trades with Oko are bad because Oko will have generated value before you have a chance to ping him with a removal spell

This is how every Planeswalker has worked since they were introduced. You can (and do) rightfully argue that your removal probably costs equal or more, and that isn't ideal, but Walkers always have and always will generate value before removal if they hit the battlefield

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

Ate My Balls Redux posted:

This is how every Planeswalker has worked since they were introduced. You can (and do) rightfully argue that your removal probably costs equal or more, and that isn't ideal, but Walkers always have and always will generate value before removal if they hit the battlefield

Like JTMS Oko does a lot to invalidate the creature combat side of removing planeswalkers by replacing them with meals for Questing Beast, or making his own 3/3 to block for him, and having way too much loyalty.

That's why Oko is overpowering standard. The answers are unreliable and inefficient and leave you not much better off even if they do work.

TacoNight
Feb 18, 2011

Stop, hey, what's that sound?

Mat Cauthon posted:

They each have a shockland in addition to arcane signet and other interesting commander cards. Faerie deck has smothering tithe. Very solid value included.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Ate My Balls Redux posted:

This has also, coincidentally, been an issue with Walkers for a very long time

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

There are 130 Noxious Grasp main in 102 decks in this Arena MCQ.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
If there are 3 mana Walkers that generate instant value and continue to dominate once they’re down, fine, but that means it’s time to print good playable answers to them that cost 1

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

NEVER FUCKING TAKE A NIGHT OFF CLAN WARS.

Andrast posted:

How dominant were other standard boogeymen of the day? Like how bad was caw blade?

Caw Blade started changing 10+ maindeck cards solely as mirror breakers, and it was correct, because the deck was naturally powerful enough to beat other strategies, which is good because it wasn't like Caw Blade was 75% of the field. If Jace hadn't been wildly expensive, more people would have moved onto Caw Blade, which would have made the mirror-teched versions even better.

Maybe Oko being so expensive (it's 90 tix online lol) means Oko won't take over as much in paper?

The only way to stop a bad guy with Sultai Food is another bad guy with Sultai Food, or maybe a bad guy with Bant Food.

fixed

AngryBooch
Sep 26, 2009
I'm at the point where I think gilded goose is better than llanowar elves and it's not particularly close.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

AngryBooch posted:

I'm at the point where I think gilded goose is better than llanowar elves and it's not particularly close.

It’s competition is and always had been Bird of Paradise and it might actually come out the winner.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

AngryBooch posted:

what do you feed it? oko tokens? (i haven't followed much of this standard)

The American Dream
Mar 1, 2007
Don't Forget My Balls

Mat Cauthon posted:

Beyond the deck exclusive stuff, they each have a shock land and to a much lesser extent a temple. Knight of the ebon legion, smothering tithe. Each deck seems to have a couple cards worth $2-$3.

Dehtraen
Jul 30, 2004

Keep the faith alive

Yawgmoth posted:

Where? I live in a major metro and my FNMs cap out at like 40 if there's a huge promo happening.

Card Kingdom, at the height of the “terrible standard” of mono black / blue / UW control they were maxing out FNM’s for their space.

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

"Life is a maze. This is one of its dead ends.

You, dumb:

TheKingofSprings posted:

If there are 3 mana Walkers that generate instant value and continue to dominate once they’re down, fine, but that means it’s time to print good playable answers to them that cost 1

Me, smart:

Duress :colbert:

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

Duress seems particularly horrendous right now - you only need to miss like 10% of the time for that card to be unplayable, and against the decks with 4 Oko, 4 Nissa, 4 Once upon a Time and maybe some Grasps or Distainful Strokes, Duress is particularly likely to whiff. Like imagine an opponent has the turn 1 Swamp Duress, and your hand has lands, creatures and a Once upon a Time - you get to turn 0 Once and their Duress whiffs!

And then obviously you topdeck Oko for the turn two Oko play for full rub-ins.

Tubgoat
Jun 30, 2013

by sebmojo

TheKingofSprings posted:

It’s competition is and always had been Bird of Paradise and it might actually come out the winner.
I didn't agree with this before but after playing some more Arena, I completely agree now.

PJOmega
May 5, 2009

rkajdi posted:

Considering they were just as screwed by wotc as you were, I wouldn't be hard on them reselling those decks.

Gooooooooooooooo fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuck yourself!

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

PJOmega posted:

Gooooooooooooooo fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuck yourself!

Its like race to the bottom these days.

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

Like JTMS Oko does a lot to invalidate the creature combat side of removing planeswalkers by replacing them with meals for Questing Beast, or making his own 3/3 to block for him, and having way too much loyalty.

That's why Oko is overpowering standard. The answers are unreliable and inefficient and leave you not much better off even if they do work.

of course the big difference is that you need to be able to resolve a 4 CMC spell with a board of no more than one dude with JTMS, versus Okos setup being "be on the play or actually who cares you can cast it on turn 2 against a two drop lmao" and whose ability to defend itself is "gain some loyalty and pongify a fool"

Niton
Oct 21, 2010

Your Lord and Savior has finally arrived!

..got any kibble?

Tubgoat posted:

I didn't agree with this before but after playing some more Arena, I completely agree now.

It's so innocuous - at first glance, the card reads "3G, T: gain 3 life", or at best "1G, T: you can activate me again next turn". But against aggro, it's actually an insane value engine that you have to remove even if the opponent already has a billion mana.

Niton fucked around with this message at 21:38 on Oct 27, 2019

Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

The more tragic things get,
the more I feel like laughing.

Rinkles posted:

what do you feed it? oko tokens? (i haven't followed much of this standard)

You feed it food tokens (artifact that you can pay 2 and sac to gain 3 life) but it can also make those tokens, which you can then use with Oko to swap for your opponent's best creature, or use to make your Wicked Wolf bigger and unkillable (until EoT).

It's not busted but it synergizes just a little too well, in addition to ramp utility.

Tubgoat
Jun 30, 2013

by sebmojo

Niton posted:

It's so innocuous - at first glance, the card reads "3G, T: gain 3 life", or at best "1G, T: you can activate me again next turn". But it's actually aggro, it's actually an insane value engine that you have to remove even if the opponent already has a billion mana.
Also it's a super effective early blocker. Thank loving god the Mirrodin/Scars swords aren't legal.

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

I AM UNJUSTIFIABLY PROUD OF MY SPAGHETTI BOLOGNESE RECIPE

YES, IT IS AN INCREDIBLY SIMPLE DISH

NO, IT IS NOT NORMAL TO USE A PEPPERAMI INSTEAD OF MINCED MEAT

YES, THERE IS TOO MUCH SALT IN MY RECIPE

NO, I WON'T STOP SHARING IT

more like BOLLOCKnese
Seeing the Simic Whirza decks where Oko and Gilded Goose make food tokens that then also tap for mana was sure something

Also counting towards making the Karn token chubby enough to kill people for good measure

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

"Life is a maze. This is one of its dead ends.

The more I play brawl, the more I wish it was just an option I could play whenever I want. Every other format on Arena is horrendous. I've also noticed that there are a lot of decks that just do not function at all if you kill their commander like, 2 times.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Mat Cauthon posted:

You feed it food tokens (artifact that you can pay 2 and sac to gain 3 life) but it can also make those tokens, which you can then use with Oko to swap for your opponent's best creature, or use to make your Wicked Wolf bigger and unkillable (until EoT).

It's not busted but it synergizes just a little too well, in addition to ramp utility.

oh i get it. it's ability to make food is powerful in and of itself, irrespective of it's ability to ramp.

Niton
Oct 21, 2010

Your Lord and Savior has finally arrived!

..got any kibble?

Rinkles posted:

oh i get it. it's ability to make food is powerful in and of itself, irrespective of it's ability to ramp.

Yeah; it's a one-shot accelerant that then becomes a game-controlling value engine. Every time you have 2 mana at EOT, you can just recharge its mana ability or feed your deck's synergies.

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

Rinkles posted:

Yeah, the ability "1G, T: Make a Food" is actually good. In Limited, a one mana creature whose only ability was "1G, T: Make a Food" would be an exceptionally high pick. In Standard, it's not that good...but it's also attached to a mana creature that makes a food when it enters play, and Goose goes in the same deck as a planeswalker with effectively unlimited loyalty who makes a food every turn, and a 0/2 Flying body isn't a blank and can save quite a lot of damage over the course of a game.

AngryBooch
Sep 26, 2009
Think a lot of these artifact token mechanics in recent sets should be counters i.e. energy counters. And they should print a poo poo load of cards that interact with counters in White to expand its color identity, and some in Red as well. And an artifact or two that do as well.

If Oko couldn't elk or exchange a food token because it were actually a counter, we might be halfway to fixing him.

I dunno, just spitballing here.

Cynic Jester
Apr 11, 2009

Let's put a simile on that face
A dazzling simile
Twinkling like the night sky
https://www.wizards.com/magic/starter/starter/welcome.asp

:swoon:

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

that rhox art was my introduction to mtg

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

I'd love to see the marketing brains involved in deciding that Rhox and Vizzerdrix were the new Faces of Magic.

Tubgoat
Jun 30, 2013

by sebmojo

Toshimo posted:

I'd love to see the marketing brains involved in deciding that Rhox and Vizzerdrix were the new Faces of Magic.
Better ones than we got now.

Kjermzs
Sep 15, 2007
Anyone have a couple Pioneer Arclight lists I can look at? I’d like to resurrect dead modern deck that I never played before the looting banning. Tia!

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

5 of the 8 decks in the SCG Modern top 8 are Whirza

featuring 4 goose 4 oko

Sit on my Jace
Sep 9, 2016

The first Pioneer Challenge was today, right? Curious what the format looks like after a proper event like that.

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

Sit on my Jace posted:

The first Pioneer Challenge was today, right? Curious what the format looks like after a proper event like that.

I woke up at 8:30 this morning to play in it, but then I decided I'd rather not play MTGO. It started at 6am for the west coast US lol.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

THE RESERVED LIST! THE RESERVED LIST! I CANNOT SHUT UP ABOUT THE RESERVED LIST!

Tubgoat posted:

Better ones than we got now.

Rhox wasn't that outlandish. For a Timmy creature and especially for the time, it had a pretty non-insulting combination of cost, stats and textbox.

Vizzerdrix, on the other hand, has no defensible reason to ever exist, let alone as a rare. Same for its cousin Trained Orgg.