Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Disinterested
Jun 29, 2011

You look like you're still raking it in. Still killing 'em?
U14 always feels like the beginning of serious business racing to me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005

Ola posted:

Cheering for you hard!

Thanks!

Disinterested posted:

Our town racing is completely insane. It's a lot.

LOL yeah, I'm still training 4 days a week but now I'm "cooling" it a bit by doing two of those days as Masters.

And I feel you on the ex-Olympians thing. My old coach is a world cup winner who went up against one of the current 50 point FIS kids a couple years ago in a dual and STILL won. And he's a downhiller. He wrecked me in our last downhill race by like six seconds.

My current coach is also ex-national team downhiller and did a slalom run, beat every single one of us.

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

Rime posted:

Why the gently caress is Fernie almost as expensive as Whistler? The gently caress is this nonsense?
feel like Fernie got a lot of general ski press hype in the past decade or so

and with the proliferation of rocker making powder more accessible, a lot more vacationers hear the siren song of "this off-the-beaten-path mountain has great pow!" and come running

bawfuls fucked around with this message at 03:53 on Oct 20, 2019

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005

Yuns posted:

I'm going to be on the board of directors of my kids' ski race team this year so I'll be going full send on crazy ski race parent. This year will be U14 for them.

You haven't reached this level until you've considered taking your eight-year-old child out of school one day a week so they can spend that time skiing.

Yes, that is literally something some parents I know were going to do. I managed to talk them out of it, I think.

IncredibleIgloo
Feb 17, 2011

This will be my son's first year of race, he just turned 12, so I am hoping it will be fun for him. He gets to race with the local high school team so that might at least make him feel pretty cool.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005

IncredibleIgloo posted:

This will be my son's first year of race, he just turned 12, so I am hoping it will be fun for him. He gets to race with the local high school team so that might at least make him feel pretty cool.

:3:

Disinterested
Jun 29, 2011

I teach some good kids and their parents are considering sending one of their two boys to town from out of state to live to pursue u14 racing.

It's serious poo poo if you have the money and the kids and parents are both in to it.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
nvm

Disinterested
Jun 29, 2011

I'm out of the shittiest handicap now at least.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005

Disinterested posted:

I'm out of the shittiest handicap now at least.

:hfive:

I want to finish at least two FIS races this year off the reverse podium. I might make a go at getting back on the Masters national team, it'll depend on how easy it is to get to a race outside of my zone.

Spime Wrangler
Feb 23, 2003

Because we can.

Disinterested posted:

I teach some good kids and their parents are considering sending one of their two boys to town from out of state to live to pursue u14 racing.

It's serious poo poo if you have the money and the kids and parents are both in to it.

steamboat mountain school?

Disinterested
Jun 29, 2011

Spime Wrangler posted:

steamboat mountain school?

I'm not sure what they settled on.

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

The sanctioned action is to CHUG

I want more snow

Spime Wrangler
Feb 23, 2003

Because we can.

Disinterested posted:

I'm not sure what they settled on.

Cool, I basically grew up on that campus. Haven’t been back for almost twenty years but it was a pretty rad spot as a kid. We left before I could attend anything more than a couple math classes but the extracurriculars were off the charts if you could afford the place.

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

Bilirubin posted:

I want more snow

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

Keystone was really nice this morning. Woo for snowboarding.

IncredibleIgloo
Feb 17, 2011

I am envious of people who have already started their season!

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
https://liftblog.com/2019/10/20/cab...UdTUIjuhCoJmJ4o

Well, they're lucky no one was in that.

Admiral Bosch
Apr 19, 2007
Who is Admiral Aken Bosch, and what is that old scoundrel up to?
eldora is opening on the first AHHHHHHHHHH

Disinterested
Jun 29, 2011

I suspect a lot of resorts in CO are going to early open. Especially Breck.

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

Yeah looks like another 15+ inches inbound

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

spwrozek posted:

Yeah looks like another 15+ inches inbound

Wow your mom is going to be real busy

I’m sorry

highme
May 25, 2001

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Timberline opened 2 chairs for 4 hours last Sunday. Unfortunately my grumpy knee decided it was going to be a weekend where I couldn't bend it.

All this junior ski racing chat is making me a bit twitchy, so have a pretty rad 20 minute vid from Shredbots.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G70X75gTEb4

IncredibleIgloo posted:

Come say "Hi" if you find yourself in a crowded rear end X room, I'm the bald, bearded ginger.

Disinterested
Jun 29, 2011

If anyone wants advice on their skiing technique, by the way, post/send me a video. For the low low price that I will one day use that video to teach people how to do video analysis of skiing, probably.

Disinterested
Jun 29, 2011

You'll be immortal in the mind of a 21 year old brand new ski instructor who's so high he thinks I'm giving him a cooking recipe.

Math You
Oct 27, 2010

So put your faith
in more than steel
Looking for some recs for resorts out west. We are a bunch of poor bastards from Ontario hoping to escape the ice for a week. Targetting the last week of January or the first week of February.

Major considerations:
Cost - a ski trip is stupid expensive anyway you slice it but a place with more affordable accommodations for 4-5 is going to help a lot. Not sure if there's much fluctuation in the cost of flights
Access: A shuttle option would be nice as we'd probably need to rent more than one car otherwise. Alternatively, a resort with a nearby town where we can get lodging for a lot cheaper

Other than that, we just want a really cool mountain. Any regions forecasted to do really well in the snow department this year?

IncredibleIgloo
Feb 17, 2011

Math You posted:

Looking for some recs for resorts out west. We are a bunch of poor bastards from Ontario hoping to escape the ice for a week. Targetting the last week of January or the first week of February.

Major considerations:
Cost - a ski trip is stupid expensive anyway you slice it but a place with more affordable accommodations for 4-5 is going to help a lot. Not sure if there's much fluctuation in the cost of flights
Access: A shuttle option would be nice as we'd probably need to rent more than one car otherwise. Alternatively, a resort with a nearby town where we can get lodging for a lot cheaper

Other than that, we just want a really cool mountain. Any regions forecasted to do really well in the snow department this year?

How far West do you want to go? Do you have passports and is the US an option? Are there any riding skill restrictions you are looking for, like the resort needs to have lots of greens, or needs to have lots of side-country and expert terrain? Do you have any existing passes that would give you discounts or entry to any resorts?

Whistler has shuttles that can get you from the Vancouver Airport to Whister, but the lodging seems to be fairly expensive. Once there you would likely not need further transportation.

Ketchum/Sun Valley is good for transportation as well, but is spendy. Bogus Basin in Boise would likely be another option, but is less iconic than Sun Valley. But likely much more affordable.

Salt Lake City is a possibility. The time you chose coincide with the Sun dance film Festival though, making it not ideal. SLC is probably the easiest to fly into and get transportation to a place if you go up to Park City area, but the cost can be high and is prohibitive during the film festival. I have less knowledge about the ease of reaching the other resorts outside of Park City. But SLC is *really* easy to travel to.

If you are willing to fly to Redmond, OR, which I just looked up and it doesn't seem to be insane from where I assume you will fly from, Toronto, then Mt. Bachelor is an option. They are a big mountain resort, moderate price, and you could stay in the Sun River resort area. They have shuttles up to and down from the mountain as well. You could also catch a shuttle from the Bend area as well to save a little more money. But Sun River has a lot of great houses and condos that you can rent that would be ideal for 4 or 5 people. Another Oregon option would be to rent cars but stay in Hood River or The Dalles and then travel up to Mt. Hood, and then you could like hit one of the three resorts there.

Flying into Seattle/SeaTac area would be easy, and then you could probably find arrangements for getting to and from Snoqualmie pass, which could be fun, but it is not what I would call a destination resort.

Tahoe area has shuttles from Reno to the resorts there, but the lodging can be expensive at the on resort properties.

Colorado has some shuttles from Denver to some resorts, but again the lodging becomes expensive and you are starting to look at long shuttle rides.

waffle enthusiast
Nov 16, 2007

Why are DPS Wailers so expensive? Do they use gold laminate or something. :iiam:

Still looking for a solid all around (105ish) ski to replace these ancient Nomads.

Math You
Oct 27, 2010

So put your faith
in more than steel

IncredibleIgloo posted:

How far West do you want to go? Do you have passports and is the US an option? Are there any riding skill restrictions you are looking for, like the resort needs to have lots of greens, or needs to have lots of side-country and expert terrain? Do you have any existing passes that would give you discounts or entry to any resorts?

Whistler has shuttles that can get you from the Vancouver Airport to Whister, but the lodging seems to be fairly expensive. Once there you would likely not need further transportation.

Ketchum/Sun Valley is good for transportation as well, but is spendy. Bogus Basin in Boise would likely be another option, but is less iconic than Sun Valley. But likely much more affordable.

Salt Lake City is a possibility. The time you chose coincide with the Sun dance film Festival though, making it not ideal. SLC is probably the easiest to fly into and get transportation to a place if you go up to Park City area, but the cost can be high and is prohibitive during the film festival. I have less knowledge about the ease of reaching the other resorts outside of Park City. But SLC is *really* easy to travel to.

If you are willing to fly to Redmond, OR, which I just looked up and it doesn't seem to be insane from where I assume you will fly from, Toronto, then Mt. Bachelor is an option. They are a big mountain resort, moderate price, and you could stay in the Sun River resort area. They have shuttles up to and down from the mountain as well. You could also catch a shuttle from the Bend area as well to save a little more money. But Sun River has a lot of great houses and condos that you can rent that would be ideal for 4 or 5 people. Another Oregon option would be to rent cars but stay in Hood River or The Dalles and then travel up to Mt. Hood, and then you could like hit one of the three resorts there.

Flying into Seattle/SeaTac area would be easy, and then you could probably find arrangements for getting to and from Snoqualmie pass, which could be fun, but it is not what I would call a destination resort.

Tahoe area has shuttles from Reno to the resorts there, but the lodging can be expensive at the on resort properties.

Colorado has some shuttles from Denver to some resorts, but again the lodging becomes expensive and you are starting to look at long shuttle rides.

Thanks for the write up. We all have passports and really anywhere in NA is game.
As for terrain, we are all advanced skiers and snowboarders save one who I'd call higher end intermediate and one expert.
We're used to owning the hill in the east but understand there's terrain most of us could get into trouble with in the west. I don't think most of us are prepared or equipped for any true out of bounds experience.
I figure we will do fine at most resorts. I don't think there are many that are so lacking in blue runs that our weakest link will have a hard time getting around the mountain

Jackson hole seems like it may be a good option. Apparently winter is their offseason for the town.. Does this translate in availability of cheaper lodging?

Edit: Any Canadians in thread who have skied in both Canada and the US? Is there much of a difference in price once you account for exchange?

Math You fucked around with this message at 18:16 on Oct 27, 2019

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005

IncredibleIgloo posted:

The Canadian dollar is so poo poo right now that going to the US is a stupid idea if you care about costs at all.

I'm pretty sure Sun Peaks has shuttles from Kamloops, there's a shuttle from Cranbrook to Fernie which is also a good option. If you can find a shuttle from Calgary to Revelstoke that's also a plus, or from Kelowna to Big White/Silverstar/Apex.

But yeah answeing IncredibleIgloo's first questions will help narrow down a better option for you.

IncredibleIgloo
Feb 17, 2011

Math You posted:

Thanks for the write up. We all have passports and really anywhere in NA is game.
As for terrain, we are all advanced skiers and snowboarders save one who I'd call higher end intermediate and one expert.
We're used to owning the hill in the east but understand there's terrain most of us could get into trouble with in the west. I don't think most of us are prepared or equipped for any true out of bounds experience.
I figure we will do fine at most resorts. I don't think there are many that are so lacking in blue runs that our weakest link will have a hard time getting around the mountain

Jackson hole seems like it may be a good option. Apparently winter is their offseason for the town.. Does this translate in availability of cheaper lodging?

Edit: Any Canadians in thread who have skied in both Canada and the US? Is there much of a difference in price once you account for exchange?

Looking at Jackson Hole's webpage it seems like it might have a lot of good sales going on right now that make it affordable. It also looked like the lodging was very reasonable.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005

Math You posted:

It's more expensive right now to ski in the states with the exchange rate. The dollar just sucks too much right now. But I mean, price it out anyway, you never know.

That time of year I'd go to Sun Peaks/Big White/Silverstar/Apex. Big White is probably the easiest to get to from an airport. Sun Peaks is the biggest but I find it's generally a pretty intermediate mountain. The others have more varied/harder terrain and I prefer them. And frankly coming from Ontario you're going to consider any of these resorts to be pretty huge.

IncredibleIgloo
Feb 17, 2011

I forgot to mention, about SLC, if you don't have any experience with the Church of Latter Day Saints, that can be a thing (positive or negative) and can have a little bit of a cramp on the Apres Ski activities, if that is your sort of thing. But if you are bringing young family with you it can be an advantage. But that does not sound like this trip, so I might avoid SLC.

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

HookShot posted:

It's more expensive right now to ski in the states with the exchange rate. The dollar just sucks too much right now. But I mean, price it out anyway, you never know.

Mt Baker is still dirt cheap :D

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005

ImplicitAssembler posted:

Mt Baker is still dirt cheap :D

And you can't get to it without a car, as the OP wants.

(Even if there are shuttles, are you really going to recommend to someone to stay in Bellingham for their fun skiing holiday?)

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

HookShot posted:

And you can't get to it without a car, as the OP wants.

(Even if there are shuttles, are you really going to recommend to someone to stay in Bellingham for their fun skiing holiday?)

They're willing to rent a car. Rent a nice place in Glacier. A whole house, usually costs less than a single hotel room in Whistler.
The big gotcha is the variable weather. If you get crappy weather, there really is nothing to do...which may be fine for some.

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

Good day out today. Storm starting to come in which is very nice. The snowpack is a bit thin for sure (lol...it's October). 3 laps and about 1700' all told. Good to get the split out and make sure things are working.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ODiAKrksNOc

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-7CHM0673S0

IncredibleIgloo
Feb 17, 2011

Envious that you are already skiing!

I just picked up my son some Head Kore 87s today. They are amazingly light. The salesperson told me that they may them in adult sizes and styles as well. Anyone have any experience riding them?

Disinterested
Jun 29, 2011

Everyone I know with them likes them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Steve French
Sep 8, 2003

It's still gonna be a little while around here. At least it's cold...