Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bread Set Jettison
Jan 8, 2009

Man, Ymir's story is sad as poo poo. I was nervous about this time travel wonkiness but I feel like it delivered for me.

I think what I like about it so much is that Ymir is mythologized as this thing thats truly all knowing and all powerful and godly. The reveal of her slavery really hits the themes.

Anyways, lets get ready to rumble

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
You know who else's story is sad as poo poo?

Ymir's.

Captain Cappy
Aug 7, 2008

Why the frig did Ymir go back with bert and ernie???

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

Captain Cappy posted:

She...didn't?

RatHat fucked around with this message at 05:42 on Oct 15, 2019

Captain Cappy
Aug 7, 2008

RatHat posted:

She...didn't?

She did.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
Oh read that as "back to back" with Bert and Ernie. She agreed to go back with them if they'd leave Historia unharmed iirc. Also she felt guilty about eating their comrade.

RatHat fucked around with this message at 05:45 on Oct 15, 2019

Captain Cappy
Aug 7, 2008

RatHat posted:

Because they agreed to leave Historia alone.

They weren't exactly in a state to mess with anyone, considering they were getting mauled by titans at the time. Why would she believe two grunts would have sway to keep Marley away from a royal? Would she even remember Marley at that point? Still feels like one of the worst plot points in the manga.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

Captain Cappy posted:

They weren't exactly in a state to mess with anyone, considering they were getting mauled by titans at the time. Why would she believe two grunts would have sway to keep Marley away from a royal? Would she even remember Marley at that point? Still feels like one of the worst plot points in the manga.

I don't think she was really considering an all out war with Marley at that point.

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

17th Separate Kryvyi Rih Tank Brigade named after Konstantin Pestushko
Look to my coming on the first light of the fifth sixth some day

Captain Cappy posted:

She felt sorry for them, because she knew they'd likely get killed if they went back empty handed.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Captain Cappy posted:

She felt sympathy for them.

She was able to regain her mind because she ate their bud Marcel (or what's his name).

Regardless of whatever else went down as a result of the Marley gang breaking down the wall, she was only able to free herself from the nightmare of being a mindless Titan because they came.

So she was paying them back for freeing her and letting her live a 2nd life as herself.

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

Ymir as a person is full of contradictions and a not insignificant amount of self-loathing, but as a character she's consistent and not too difficult to understand once you put all the pieces in place.

Despite the goal of her second chance at life being to reinvent herself as a person and live only for her own sake, in the end she couldn't escape her fundamental nature as a person who sacrifices herself for the sake of others - particularly those that are all alone and had roles imposed on them by the world, as it resonates with her own experiences. It's the reason why she looks for Historia and joins the military/survey corps, why she opts to attempt to rescue the group while they're trapped in the castle instead of escaping on her own, and why she saves and follows Reiner and Berthold even though she knows it'll mean her death.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

You can see the same process being repeated in Historia, someone who grows up being told that she should be self-sacrificing, decides to go against that (with Ymir's prodding), but eventually...

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

Terper posted:

You can see the same process being repeated in Historia, someone who grows up being told that she should be self-sacrificing, decides to go against that (with Ymir's prodding), but eventually...

whys that image want me to sign in bc its 18+

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

imgur being weird I guess

tweet my meat
Oct 2, 2013

yospos
Sometimes spoiler images are marked as 18+ to hide them from being seen accidentally, could be that.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

I have no idea what weird mechanism did that, it wanted me to do the same when I uploaded it :shrug:

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

Captain Cappy posted:

She didn't care or want the titan power. Her backstory was that she was an orphan who was named Ymir by some person and then the eldian slave people started loving her. Then the government got involved and had everyone shipped off to paradise. I don't remember why but she didn't really want to be a titan anymore or something. There's like a whole chapter of her explaining herself to historia.

http://readshingekinokyojin.com/manga/shingeki-no-kyojin-chapter-89/

Tenzarin fucked around with this message at 14:03 on Oct 25, 2019

Sub Harrison
May 2, 2013

Conspiratiorist posted:

Ymir as a person is full of contradictions and a not insignificant amount of self-loathing, but as a character she's consistent and not too difficult to understand once you put all the pieces in place.

Despite the goal of her second chance at life being to reinvent herself as a person and live only for her own sake, in the end she couldn't escape her fundamental nature as a person who sacrifices herself for the sake of others - particularly those that are all alone and had roles imposed on them by the world, as it resonates with her own experiences.

This. Her and every shifter so far have sacrificed their own lives for others just like the original Ymir. Also following the OG Ymir, her wish is for a world where she is free to make her own choice.

Kritzkrieg Kop
Nov 4, 2009
Excuse me, how does Commander Zackly's chair work? He puts poo poo up a guy's butt with a funnel and tube and holds the guys mouth open? What is it doing exactly?

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Kritzkrieg Kop posted:

Excuse me, how does Commander Zackly's chair work? He puts poo poo up a guy's butt with a funnel and tube and holds the guys mouth open? What is it doing exactly?

They eat their own poo poo.

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
I just thought it was Isayama inserting some of his fetishes into the story. It was kinda jarring on my first read

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

hatty posted:

I just thought it was Isayama inserting some of his fetishes into the story. It was kinda jarring on my first read

It was supposed to be disgusting.

In It For The Tank
Feb 17, 2011

But I've yet to figure out a better way to spend my time.
By far one of the funniest moments in the series is Zackley eyeing his chair when thinking about what to do with Eren.

Viridiant
Nov 7, 2009

Big PP Energy
I don't understand how something put into the story to illustrate how the new leaders are hosed up assholes in their own right ends up reading as something that the author thinks is just swell.

It seems kinda specific yeah but that's probably because it was something he read about and then was like "Wow that's hosed up I should put that into my hosed up story."

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
I’ve just been ruined by the internet probably. Stared at the void too long etcetera

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
Like it was probably put in just so Zackery would not be a perfectly reasonable and good leader.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

I can't believe Isayama put his vore fetish into Attack on Titan, see all the titans eating people? hosed up.

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

And the Zeke unbirthing in chapter 115.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

In It For The Tank posted:

By far one of the funniest moments in the series is Zackley eyeing his chair when thinking about what to do with Eren.
also one of the funniest moments: zackley being obliterated by a bomb in his poo poo-ouroboros chair

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!

MonsterEnvy posted:

Like it was probably put in just so Zackery would not be a perfectly reasonable and good leader.

Yeah, it's there to make sure the message of "Maybe putting a military dictatorship in place wasn't the best idea" didn't go over any readers heads.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

galagazombie posted:

Yeah, it's there to make sure the message of "Maybe putting a military dictatorship in place wasn't the best idea" didn't go over any readers heads.

Well they are still a Monarchy. The Military just has the most power. Still better than what they had before.

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

The post-coup government is a military junta with a figurehead queen for legitimacy, and some remnants of the old nobility granted protections for their cooperation in the transition but stripped of any sort of political power.

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

Isayama had a brief (pre-recorded) appearance in the âge 20th anniversary event. Talks about how Muv-Luv Alternative (which he marathoned over the course of two days) inspired him to start writing Attack on Titan.

Luceid
Jan 20, 2005

Buy some freaking medicine.

Conspiratiorist posted:

Isayama had a brief (pre-recorded) appearance in the âge 20th anniversary event. Talks about how Muv-Luv Alternative (which he marathoned over the course of two days) inspired him to start writing Attack on Titan.

That's badass, I hope SnK sticks the landing better because oof the last 2 hours of Alternative.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.

Conspiratiorist posted:

Yeah that sounds about right.

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

Conspiratiorist posted:

"Still Breathing Event"

GimmickMan
Dec 27, 2011

I played Alternative in like a week and the later days still made me feel like I was probably not getting enough sleep. The mere idea of pushing through the entire thing in 2 days gives me second hand :shepicide:.

I am now picturing Isayama suffering terrible fever dreams from that marathon that directly correlate to the plot of SnK.

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

I, too, played through for 27 hours straight after the Marimo scene. I believe I called in sick.

Green Tea Erotica
May 5, 2010

Anything you can do I can do BETTER

Conspiratiorist posted:

I, too, played through for 27 hours straight after the Marimo scene. I believe I called in sick.

I feel like the only 2 responses to that scene are to immediately drop the VN or finish it in the next 36 hours.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aumanor
Nov 9, 2012
Goddamnit why are there no leaks for this month's chapter yet? The wait's killing me.