Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

They should change the rules so that deathtouch works on planeswalker s

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
Oko is so good that he's become a staple in every single format of Magic to the point where people are cutting a Black Lotus to play him in Vintage.

Dpulex
Feb 26, 2013
Looking forward to the next set where we get a 2 mana 5 loyalty walker that ruins the meta

Ate My Balls Redux
Aug 2, 2018

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

pointsofdata posted:

They should change the rules so that deathtouch works on planeswalker s

WAR Vraska does that

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy

pointsofdata posted:

I agree, it was an important card in field decks too. Especially with Nissa around it generates so much value. It'll be pretty funny if they ban it instead of Oko though

Speaking of Oko... I just opened my second Oko from F2P packs!

On top of that, opening that same pack unlocked a Vault for me!? I thought vaults were practically impossible to get if you've never spent any money.

kater
Nov 16, 2010

i drafted eldraine cuz i noticed i was still unranked for the month and holy crap what a pile of poo poo

little munchkin
Aug 15, 2010

Doltos posted:

You know whats worse than Oko in standard is Oko in limited
i beat a turn 3 oko on arena, elks are no match for my army of 0/4 merfolk lol

TheMaestroso
Nov 4, 2014

I must know your secrets.
Current draft in Bo1 I made a BG food deck. Currently 3-0, and have yet to face a mill deck. Maybe the bots are better?

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes

TheMaestroso posted:

Current draft in Bo1 I made a BG food deck. Currently 3-0, and have yet to face a mill deck. Maybe the bots are better?

they're not

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

Zero VGS posted:

On top of that, opening that same pack unlocked a Vault for me!? I thought vaults were practically impossible to get if you've never spent any money.
You should be getting a vault roughly every other month. I'm on my sixth or seventh and I started in april or something, but I'm kinda optimized for that.

TheMaestroso posted:

Getting to gold this month I saw no mill decks. From conversations and looking at stats they seem to be about a third of the meta.

beedub
Jul 21, 2003

I've given up in Oko mirror wars and I'm having a lot of fun with Mogwai's Grixis Fires list from Day 2 MCQ. Just won my last game three with elderspelling everything into an instant Lili ult. Much more fun than nut drawing Oko on 2.

https://aetherhub.com/Deck/Public/179269

4 Swamp (M20) 272
2 Dismal Backwater (M20) 245
4 Blood Crypt (RNA) 245
3 Steam Vents (GRN) 257
4 Watery Grave (GRN) 259
1 Temple of Epiphany (M20) 253
3 Fabled Passage (ELD) 244
1 Mountain (M20) 276
1 Island (M20) 268
4 Fires of Invention (ELD) 125
3 Drawn from Dreams (M20) 56
3 Fae of Wishes (ELD) 44
2 Chandra, Awakened Inferno (M20) 127
2 Liliana, Dreadhorde General (WAR) 97
3 Nicol Bolas, Dragon-God (WAR) 207
1 The Elderspell (WAR) 89
2 Enter the God-Eternals (WAR) 196
2 Ritual of Soot (GRN) 84
1 Noxious Grasp (M20) 110
4 Narset, Parter of Veils (WAR) 61
3 Murderous Rider (ELD) 97
3 Castle Vantress (ELD) 242
4 Thought Erasure (GRN) 206

1 Time Wipe (WAR) 223
1 Unmoored Ego (GRN) 212
1 Planewide Celebration (WAR) 172
1 Legion's End (M20) 106
2 Enter the God-Eternals (WAR) 196
1 The Elderspell (WAR) 89
1 Casualties of War (WAR) 187
3 Duress (M20) 97
1 Tamiyo, Collector of Tales (WAR) 220
3 Noxious Grasp (M20) 110

imweasel09
May 26, 2014

Dpulex posted:

Looking forward to the next set where we get a 2 mana 5 loyalty walker that ruins the meta

Wren and Six already did that for legacy.

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Just gotta keep walking down that road.

TheMaestroso posted:

They're not but also, my personal experience has been that BG food is maybe the best archetype regardless. Get enough decent pieces to make putting it together worthwhile and throw in a couple of Forever Youngs if possible and it can take on most things pretty reliably.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
Lipstick Apathy
Lol I know I suck but I just made it into Platinum for the first time ever, I had an hour long fight against an Oko/Nissa deck with my Doom Foretold poo poo. It took me having to deal them 200+ damage from all the food tokens they ate and the two Krasis they fired off, but I managed to kill them using the Liliana Dreadhorde Ultimate, Kaya Orzhov Usurper Ultimate, alpha strike with 20 creatures, and Oath of Kaya for the final point of damage with 3 cards left in my library. They nearly decked me because Liliana's card draw isn't optional.

The Sean
Apr 17, 2005

Am I handsome now?

Ate My Balls Redux posted:

WAR Vraska does that

They said "should change the rules" and you brought up one card...

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

Well, it's kinda relevant, in that if they're going to push walkers down to 2 and 3 mana they need to stop being reserved about stuff affecting walkers.

WAR has tons of stuff that works differently because it's a walker set then they immediately regressed on that but printed more overpowered 3 cmc walkers. (Sorin is a great example of what a 3 cmc walker should look like, though imo, his ultimate shouldn't be available the turn he comes down)

Ate My Balls Redux
Aug 2, 2018

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

The Sean posted:

They said "should change the rules" and you brought up one card...

Yeah dawg I was tossing out a factoid

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
Lipstick Apathy
loving looooool, I try to remove someone's Wilderness Reclamation, they bounce it back to their hand and go "Oops, oops, good game, oops", cast an Explosion on me for 28, it causes them to deck themselves at the same time and the game is a draw.

Simone Poodoin
Jun 26, 2003

Che storia figata, ragazzo!

I was just thoroughly hosed up by a mono white deck with sephara as comander and every other card being a white flyer, this is what brawl is all about.

It's also about having the mono green questing beast deck guy instantly concede when I play the blightbeetle I drew from my free mulligan

If they make Brawl permanent this is all I'm gonna play for a while

AngryBooch
Sep 26, 2009

Simone Poodoin posted:

I was just thoroughly hosed up by a mono white deck with sephara as comander and every other card being a white flyer, this is what brawl is all about.

It's also about having the mono green questing beast deck guy instantly concede when I play the blightbeetle I drew from my free mulligan

If they make Brawl permanent this is all I'm gonna play for a while

Ironically, Protection from Green will not work completely when Questing Beast is out there as protection effects specifically prevent damage, and the QB says that combat damage may not be prevented. Just something to keep in mind so you don't get got!

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

Zero VGS posted:

Speaking of Oko... I just opened my second Oko from F2P packs!

opening the vault requires 900 commons or 300 uncommons (or a combination of those). every (nondraft) booster you open will get you 1% of the way there if the 3 commons and 2 uncommons are all duplicates.

i've done 20 limited events of ELD (3 sealed, rest draft) and i've gotten about half a vault's worth of stuff, and i haven't used any wildcards or opened any boosters yet.

if i wanted to get REAL OPTIMAL, i'd be using my c/u wildcards to pad out cards i don't have 4x everytime i was going to draft one, but that's more effort than it's worth.

Simone Poodoin
Jun 26, 2003

Che storia figata, ragazzo!

AngryBooch posted:

Ironically, Protection from Green will not work completely when Questing Beast is out there as protection effects specifically prevent damage, and the QB says that combat damage may not be prevented. Just something to keep in mind so you don't get got!

Good to know, thanks. I honestly don't know why the dude didn't even try, and I would have totally get got when the questing beast went out

Kawabata
Apr 20, 2014

You plebians just don't know what epic literature is. You should try reading Stephanie Meyer, E.L. James, Dan Brown, or Ayn Rand.
What exactly is GB Adventures supposed to beat right now? It seems to me that it loses to Oko, Selesnya, Monored and Simic with decent starts and Esper.

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

Lone Goat posted:

if i wanted to get REAL OPTIMAL, i'd be using my c/u wildcards to pad out cards i don't have 4x everytime i was going to draft one, but that's more effort than it's worth.
I did this for the stuff I presumed I would actually draft, like bake into a pie and Slaying fire

It's a hassle

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

It's both thrilling and terrifying.

Kawabata posted:

What exactly is GB Adventures supposed to beat right now? It seems to me that it loses to Oko, Selesnya, Monored and Simic with decent starts and Esper.

I play Selesnya Adventure and I actually think the GB variant has the edge in the matchup. They have more ways to kill my Innkeepers than I do theirs, and the decks are starting to include Finality, which is backbreaking.

Kawabata
Apr 20, 2014

You plebians just don't know what epic literature is. You should try reading Stephanie Meyer, E.L. James, Dan Brown, or Ayn Rand.

qbert posted:

I play Selesnya Adventure and I actually think the GB variant has the edge in the matchup. They have more ways to kill my Innkeepers than I do theirs, and the decks are starting to include Finality, which is backbreaking.

They'll kill the innkeepers at 3 lands if they're lucky and they're not already in a desperate situation board wise and the deck runs maybe 3 finality but usually 2. You can run 4, sure, but it kind of makes it worse against other matchups.

Maybe it's me and I don't get the deck. It's obviously not as aggressive as Selesnya or RDW or even Simic Flash, it doesn't have the value plays of Oko decks and it crumbles against slower control decks like the current Esper. What am I supposed to do with the 6 lovely creatures (4x Foulmire and 2x Midnight) that are only there to synergize with my draw engine when I draw them at the wrong time? What exactly am I sacrificing to Rankle when I need to remove something but my board only has good creatures on it?

Those 2 things happen way more often than I'd like. It may be variance but still, I feel there are a lot of bad cards in it that are only there to make you draw more and a bunch of others like Rankle and Nissa that don't really work that well in the deck to begin with.

Kawabata fucked around with this message at 03:47 on Oct 28, 2019

AngryBooch
Sep 26, 2009

Kawabata posted:

They'll kill the innkeepers at 3 lands if they're lucky and they're not already in a desperate situation board wise and the deck runs maybe 3 finality but usually 2. You can run 4, sure, but it kind of makes it worse against other matchups.

Maybe it's me and I don't get the deck. It's obviously not as aggressive as Selesnya or RDW or even Simic Flash, it doesn't have the value plays of Oko decks and it crumbles against slower control decks like the current Esper. What am I supposed to do with the 6 lovely creatures (4x Foulmire and 2x Midnight) that are only there to synergize with my draw engine when I draw them at the wrong time? What exactly am I sacrificing to Rankle when I need to remove something but my board only has good creatures on it?

Those 2 things happen way more often than I'd like. It may be variance but still, I feel there are a lot of bad cards in it that are only there to make you draw more and a bunch of others like Rankle and Nissa that don't really work that well in the deck to begin with.

Chris Kvartek is doing really well with his version. Made it to another Mythic Championship this weekend:

https://twitter.com/Kavartech/status/1188576232188923907

https://magic.wizards.com/en/esports/mcqw/2019/mcvii-decklists-1

Search his twitter handle on that page. The WotC website is still a piece of trash you can't export decks from.

Kawabata
Apr 20, 2014

AngryBooch posted:

Chris Kvartek is doing really well with his version. Made it to another Mythic Championship this weekend:

https://twitter.com/Kavartech/status/1188576232188923907

https://magic.wizards.com/en/esports/mcqw/2019/mcvii-decklists-1

Search his twitter handle on that page. The WotC website is still a piece of trash you can't export decks from.

Thanks, I hope I'll find some videos of him playing the deck because I can never find someone streaming GB Adventures for some reason. I feel like there are some turns where I probably don't make the less intuitive plays and I need to see what a good player usually mulligans against what.

EDIT: yeah his deck is pretty different from what I'm playing right now, cool to see he included Massacre Girl, Liliana, Vraska and got rid of Vivien and Nissa.

Kawabata fucked around with this message at 04:27 on Oct 28, 2019

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Are we in a new Black Summer

Relin
Oct 6, 2002

You have been a most worthy adversary, but in every game, there are winners and there are losers. And as you know, in this game, losers get robotizicized!
why did a stonecoil serpent die when it blocked my hydroid krasis :raise:

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

Relin posted:

why did a stonecoil serpent die when it blocked my hydroid krasis :raise:

If Questing Beast was out, that would overrule the damage prevention part of Protection from Multicolored. Same if the Smash side of Bonecrusher Giant was used earlier in the turn.

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

Was there Stomp, was there Questing Beast, I post this a lot on reddit

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Are we in a new Black Summer
Oko-Winter, yes, seems so.

HasbrOko winter?

Relin
Oct 6, 2002

You have been a most worthy adversary, but in every game, there are winners and there are losers. And as you know, in this game, losers get robotizicized!

Khizan posted:

If Questing Beast was out, that would overrule the damage prevention part of Protection from Multicolored. Same if the Smash side of Bonecrusher Giant was used earlier in the turn.
lol. yeah he was pacifismed. that card has too much text.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames

Kawabata posted:

Thanks, I hope I'll find some videos of him playing the deck because I can never find someone streaming GB Adventures for some reason. I feel like there are some turns where I probably don't make the less intuitive plays and I need to see what a good player usually mulligans against what.

EDIT: yeah his deck is pretty different from what I'm playing right now, cool to see he included Massacre Girl, Liliana, Vraska and got rid of Vivien and Nissa.

I’ll tell you that Foulmire Knight is amazing and clogs the board makes attacks very lovely for a lot of matchups and Order of Midnight is there to rebuy all your threats.

Adding Vraska to the mainboard over questing beast is probably correct in the meantime, too bad I have Zero

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

Bust Rodd have you tried Kethis in Brawl yet

I enjoy Kethis almost as much as I enjoy QuestCleave

Kawabata
Apr 20, 2014

Bust Rodd posted:

I’ll tell you that Foulmire Knight is amazing and clogs the board makes attacks very lovely for a lot of matchups and Order of Midnight is there to rebuy all your threats.

Adding Vraska to the mainboard over questing beast is probably correct in the meantime, too bad I have Zero

Yeah I only have 1 Vraska, not crafting others right away. Order of Midnight's spell is alright value wise but it's really slow. Deck feels very slow overall against aggro and not heavy enough for control matchups. 4x Noxious Grasp and Massacre Girl(s) might make things interesting I suppose.

I don't know, without Goose and Grazer you get to your real threats way too late most of the time.

Kawabata fucked around with this message at 06:37 on Oct 28, 2019

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Lovestruck Beast on T3 seems uh pretty good to me.

Kawabata
Apr 20, 2014

Bust Rodd posted:

Lovestruck Beast on T3 seems uh pretty good to me.

In a world where Oko doesn't exist, yes, unironically.

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse

Spiderdrake posted:

Was there Stomp, was there Questing Beast, I post this a lot on reddit
Oko-Winter, yes, seems so.

HasbrOko winter?

Green Winter.

Goddamn global warming.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!
The thing that really bugs me with walkers generally, but other Legendaries as well, is that you can have multiple of them in a deck. It seems silly to have a card type specifically designed to be 'this is a unique individual' and allow you to have four of them in your deck, let alone the loving fifteen you can get of Chandra specifically.

It really bugs me most to spend a decent amount of effort and resources to remove a troublesome planeswalker in a clever way, then just have them dump down a second copy, use its powerful -3 or whatever, then dump down a third copy.

Like... there's only supposed to be one of this person, if you want to dump them out again, you should have to find some way to bring them back from the graveyard, surely?

This may be why I like Brawl.

Speaking of broken metas, is the bot setup for limited with War of the Spark any less lovely and heavily weighted towards mill than it is for Eldraine? I've got my weekly free access to a Bo1 draft coming up today and I'd like to pick one I have a chance to win in instead of mill in.