Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
I might enter, but probably not. I don’t even play Gooncrawl much these days. If someone puts a team together (name suggestion: Gooncrawlers), I’ll probably hop in and get my obligatory Minotaur and Barachi wins, but that’s about it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Let's go explorin' little dude!

Amethyst posted:

Trunk traps are better sorry.

Like trunk dcss is the only rpg I can think of that has actually thought about why no one likes traps and changed the system to make them interesting.

I'll grant you the ones that aren't triggered on revealing tiles, no-save-gently caress-you-chance-gets-worse-on-depth-yes-even-in-Tomb-double-gently caress-you. Monsters triggering traps against you "deliberately" is pretty cool and has you consider your engagement more so than just being in a large empty room.

World Famous W
May 25, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 6 days!

PMush Perfect posted:

I might enter, but probably not. I don’t even play Gooncrawl much these days. If someone puts a team together (name suggestion: Gooncrawlers), I’ll probably hop in and get my obligatory Minotaur and Barachi wins, but that’s about it.
Yeah, I love all the gooncrawl changes and the games I played of it resparked a small flame for the game but I think I'm just burnt out on crawl in general. Can't complain though. More than a dozen full rune clears under my belt and near decade of enjoyable gameplay ain't bad.

Will not be participating in the tourney though

Amethyst
Mar 28, 2004

I CANNOT HELP BUT MAKE THE DCSS THREAD A FETID SWAMP OF UNFUN POSTING
plz notice me trunk-senpai

Sage Grimm posted:

I'll grant you the ones that aren't triggered on revealing tiles, no-save-gently caress-you-chance-gets-worse-on-depth-yes-even-in-Tomb-double-gently caress-you. Monsters triggering traps against you "deliberately" is pretty cool and has you consider your engagement more so than just being in a large empty room.

Triggering on explore without mitigation methods is better than making the player fill out their tax forms to possibly avoid them.

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Let's go explorin' little dude!
And having a chance to mitigate them in a short period of time before they trigger would be best! 2-3 turns on reveal of "the dungeon warps weirdly, a sink hole appears/primal chaos surrounds you/translocation energies reach towards you!" to burn consumables either to get away from where you stand, buff up for the encounter or at least know what's going to happen to you.

They innovated with the other traps, why don't they do the same here?

redneck nazgul
Apr 25, 2013

If we throw a tournament together, let me know and I'll spam Vine Stalkers for 15 runers.

Amethyst posted:

Triggering on explore without mitigation methods is better than making the player fill out their tax forms to possibly avoid them.

They removed Traps and Doors as a skill in, what, 0.10?

Have you played Tomb in mainline Crawl? It's absurd. It's artificial difficulty for the sake of doing so.

I'm waiting for someone to get the bright idea to reintroduce Shadow Traps with the new system.

FebrezeNinja
Nov 22, 2007

They finally put up the 0.24 changelog. And tournament page

quote:

Highlights
----------
* Vampire species simplified
* Thrown weapons streamlined
* Fedhas reimagined
* Sif Muna reworked

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

That staff of battle is looking pretty pretty nice for my conjuration heavy favored playstyle

FulsomFrank
Sep 11, 2005

Hard on for love

Stuff I noticed:

-* Vampiric weapons no longer have a hunger cost upon wield.
- Blowguns are removed, needles are replaced with throwing darts.
- Dart effects scale with Throwing and Stealth skill.
- A new dart brand, atropa is added. Atropa-tipped darts cause brief
confusion and longer-lasting blindness in the target.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.
Those are some good changes, for once. Needles were always kind of a bother because being a status effect vector was the most useful thing about them, while the blowguns themselves really only gave them better accuracy and range. Reworking them into something you can always use, even if you can't find the associated (relatively rare and highly limited) weapon, was a much-needed improvement.

Emmideer
Oct 20, 2011

Lovely night, no?
Grimey Drawer
Quick port the vamp brand change to gooncrawl

gotta poo
Mar 14, 2019

by VideoGames
Friendship ended with squishy casters

Minotaur is my new BFF.

God I love axes.

Drone_Fragger
May 9, 2007

So I have a exe axe and holy longbow wielding centaur of TSO that I want to take to tomb. But tomb is bullshit now. What’s the way to do it melee/bows now that the stair dancing method is gone? Copious use of scrolls of fog?

Edit: 61 ac, max resists everything and basically no spells bar portal projectile.

Captainsalami
Apr 16, 2010

I told you you'd pay!
My only tomb clear I had gozag and literally spammed bribe until it was clear. I full cleared the hell's for gold. That character was swole.

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

Drone_Fragger posted:

So I have a exe axe and holy longbow wielding centaur of TSO that I want to take to tomb. But tomb is bullshit now. What’s the way to do it melee/bows now that the stair dancing method is gone? Copious use of scrolls of fog?

Edit: 61 ac, max resists everything and basically no spells bar portal projectile.

It's been a while since I played melee and went to the Tomb but I remember having better luck with Zin than with TSO. Sanctuary is a very powerful escape option. Also, Vitalisation protects you from a lot of the curse bullshit.

Drone_Fragger
May 9, 2007

The issue is more the rooms of tormenting enemies that also have summon demon and smite, which also don't have any cover so you can't break LOS easy. You can't stairdance anymore because the up and downstairs on tomb got made "one way" and aren't near eachother anymore. Previously melee could do tomb slowly by dragging nasties to the stiars and then splitting up the group so that you didn't get tagged for 4 torments a turn and smited 5 times to finish you off.

With blaster casters it's fuckin piss easy. Just get necromutation and then firestorm everything on the entire screen till it is dead and cblink to the stairs if you're ever in any real threat.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.
Doesn't Tomb have something that blocks CBlink, though? Been ages since I've actually been there, but I remember that being a thing.

Mordekai
Sep 6, 2006

Salt in the wound eases the soul.

Cardiovorax posted:

Doesn't Tomb have something that blocks CBlink, though? Been ages since I've actually been there, but I remember that being a thing.

Nah, you can cblink fine in Tomb. If you an cast silence, tomb also becomes easier.

Just died to an angel posse during the orb run with 14 runes... I figured I could take a win at least during the tournament, and the Ds mutations I got were really good. Otabbet through most of hell and pan.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

quote:

Prior to 0.17, Controlled Blink was a level 7 spell. Additionally, use of this spell on difficult levels, such as The Tomb and final levels of a Ziggurat, resulted in an uncontrolled Blink, due to the (also deprecated) concept of Teleport Control.
Ah, that's where I got the idea from.

Floodkiller
May 31, 2011

Jon Joe posted:

Quick port the vamp brand change to gooncrawl

Done, I'll reverse it if people want to vote on it instead.

Sorry about being lazy as gently caress about other updates, a bunch of games came out and I've just been playing them on the weekends instead mostly (finished 100%-ing the Spyro trilogy recently after that came out on PC). I'll try to get back to finishing the menu paging, along with the conduct/mutators feature that I've been doing side by side with it (since both involve the new game menu). Spoilers for one that I'm releasing initially with that feature:
-Every time you eat, mutate as if you ate a purple chunk :getin:

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

Oh poo poo tourney???
So are we gonna form some teams or what

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Lawman 0 posted:

Oh poo poo tourney???
So are we gonna form some teams or what

that would require playing trunk, so no

FulsomFrank
Sep 11, 2005

Hard on for love

Floodkiller posted:

Done, I'll reverse it if people want to vote on it instead.

Sorry about being lazy as gently caress about other updates, a bunch of games came out and I've just been playing them on the weekends instead mostly (finished 100%-ing the Spyro trilogy recently after that came out on PC). I'll try to get back to finishing the menu paging, along with the conduct/mutators feature that I've been doing side by side with it (since both involve the new game menu). Spoilers for one that I'm releasing initially with that feature:

God's work you're doing, son. God's work.

Teal
Feb 25, 2013

by Nyc_Tattoo

Floodkiller posted:

conduct/mutators feature that I've been doing side by side with it (since both involve the new game menu). Spoilers for one that I'm releasing initially with that feature:

wouldn't it be both easier and more flavorful to just replace all food with purple

Stockwell
Mar 29, 2005
Ask me about personal watercraft.
I'm new to this game, anyone want to explain the purple thing to me?

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Stockwell posted:

I'm new to this game, anyone want to explain the purple thing to me?
Purple chunks used to (in trunk), or do (in Gooncrawl, play Gooncrawl), give you a random mutation, positive or negative. "Eat the purple" is a common rallying cry of goons both because it makes runs more diverse/interesting, and because trunk removed it for never being "optimal".

Numberwang!!!
Jul 24, 2019

Mr. Lobe posted:

That staff of battle is looking pretty pretty nice for my conjuration heavy favored playstyle

I tested it out on wizmode because someone on reddit was saying that if you have it equipped you can't train Conjuration or Charms (everything trains fine).

It auto casts Battlesphere when an enemy is visible for no mana. It recasts itself after one turn when it dies. And it seems to level up with you skills. (I didn't test the damage, but the max hp was going up).

It's pretty much game breaking for low to mid level. You might eventually replace it once you're spamming fire storm or shatter, but even then having it as backup would be nice. Even without the extra damage having a perma summon is nice for swapping places or hiding behind it.

redneck nazgul
Apr 25, 2013

Teal posted:

wouldn't it be both easier and more flavorful to just replace all food with purple

as a compulsive Gozag worshipper, this

do not deny me my purple just because i like gold better

Floodkiller
May 31, 2011

redneck nazgul posted:

as a compulsive Gozag worshipper, this

do not deny me my purple just because i like gold better

It will apply to any eating.

redneck nazgul
Apr 25, 2013

Floodkiller posted:

It will apply to any eating.

finally, a reason to summon a food shop when i'm not perma-zigging :glomp:

Stockwell
Mar 29, 2005
Ask me about personal watercraft.

PMush Perfect posted:

Purple chunks used to (in trunk), or do (in Gooncrawl, play Gooncrawl), give you a random mutation, positive or negative. "Eat the purple" is a common rallying cry of goons both because it makes runs more diverse/interesting, and because trunk removed it for never being "optimal".

Ah okay, was playing regular .24 and I'm pretty sure I found some sort of mutation potion, at least it affected my stats and I grew horns. Do the chunks work a bit differently?

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Yeah, they do. There is a giant list of possible mutations that ranges from simple stat changes to growing plates of bone armor to developing the ability to teleport short distances. Some of these have a multiple stages and some are mutually exclusive. Eating a purp will pick a random mutation from that list and inflict you with one stage of it. It can be really good, it can be really bad - but it always is an interesting gamble.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Stockwell posted:

Ah okay, was playing regular .24 and I'm pretty sure I found some sort of mutation potion, at least it affected my stats and I grew horns. Do the chunks work a bit differently?

Pretty much the same. Mutation potions give you more, but the random list of mutations is the same between chunks and potions. (Demonspawn are a race that gains different, more powerful mutations as they level up.)

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

As of .21, Potions of Mutation remove mutations first before granting you new ones and are slightly weighted towards giving you good mutations, in addition to one guaranteed good mutation on top. Classic purple chunks do draw on the same list, but are also substantially more risky.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Cardiovorax posted:

Classic purple chunks do draw on the same list, but are also substantially more fun.
FTFY.

Doesn't hurt that there are way, way more purple chunks available than mut pots.

tylertfb
Mar 3, 2004

Time.Space.Transmat.
What would the best approach be to making a set of macros aimed at playing a kiting character. I'd like to have a set of keys assigned to take a step in the pressed direction and take a shot at the targeted enemy. It would make playing a centaur archer pretty efficient.

rchandra
Apr 30, 2013

tylertfb posted:

What would the best approach be to making a set of macros aimed at playing a kiting character. I'd like to have a set of keys assigned to take a step in the pressed direction and take a shot at the targeted enemy. It would make playing a centaur archer pretty efficient.

Tweak autofight to make an "unTab" function to step away from the nearest foe, then a macro that's untab-tab.

Average Bear
Apr 4, 2010
Cleared my first Zig tonight. Got all 5 runes from pan. But still, somehow, I am completely helpless in Tomb. Hmmm I guess that's my fault for not thinking to pick ghoul. BECAUSE THERES NO OTHER COUNTER FOR SMITE AND TORMENT SPAM

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
Lichform is right over there, man. Also doesn't Zin help v that nowadays? I just looked it up; not explicitly with torment/smite, but that laundry list of "don't die" and "get hosed, deamons" looks hella strong. I should play a Zin guy someday...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Average Bear
Apr 4, 2010
Top ways to beat Dungeon Crawl Stone Soup:

1. Blowing yourself up with an immolation scroll.

2. Dying in a Zigguraut

3. 14. Rune Win

4. 3 Rune Win

5. Dying on D1 because you can't be assed to do more than tab

6. 15 Rune Win.