Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Epic Doctor Fetus
Jul 23, 2003

Final (?) update to my random reboot saga:

I threw in the towel and took the RTX 2070 Super and Corsair 650W PSU and threw them into my old i7-4790 rig to replace a GTX 970 and no-name ticking time bomb PSU. It's been stable for about six hours now and I've been playing the new Modern Warfare and Vader Immortal VR and it's doing well enough with both.

Anyone want to buy a potentially haunted CPU/mobo/RAM/SSD/case combo?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MikeC
Jul 19, 2004
BITCH ASS NARC

Epic Doctor Fetus posted:

Final (?) update to my random reboot saga:

I threw in the towel and took the RTX 2070 Super and Corsair 650W PSU and threw them into my old i7-4790 rig to replace a GTX 970 and no-name ticking time bomb PSU. It's been stable for about six hours now and I've been playing the new Modern Warfare and Vader Immortal VR and it's doing well enough with both.

Anyone want to buy a potentially haunted CPU/mobo/RAM/SSD/case combo?

If you live in the Greater Toronto Area within reasonable reach from where I live, I wouldn't mind spending a Sunday messing around with gear to try and find out what is going on.

Epic Doctor Fetus
Jul 23, 2003

MikeC posted:

If you live in the Greater Toronto Area within reasonable reach from where I live, I wouldn't mind spending a Sunday messing around with gear to try and find out what is going on.

Right place, wrong time. I lived in Toronto from '97 to '04 and miss the poo poo out of it.

If anyone near Charleston, SC wants to give it a shot, though, I'm game.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
It happens, I've had systems that wouldn't work together but it's usually a PSU or an Asus MB problem.

navigation
Sep 30, 2009
Hey PC folks!

I'm looking to build a tiny computer for mostly software development (which will include running clunky resource eating stuff like visual studio) and some non-heavyweight gaming (indie games and whatnot). I'd like to stay around or south of $750 and want to get an M.2 drive and fast(-ish) RAM due to me thinking that'll make my normal usage of the machine zippier than my current oldish gaming PC. Also, I'm in the US.

The current build I was looking at is something akin to this, after finding the In Win Chopin case (which I like since it looks like one of the few tiny cases that has good ventilation) and looking at what builds some internet people have used for it:

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 3400G 3.7 GHz Quad-Core Processor ($144.25 @ OutletPC)
CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-L9a-AM4 33.84 CFM CPU Cooler ($49.90 @ Amazon)
Motherboard: Gigabyte X570 I AORUS PRO WIFI Mini ITX AM4 Motherboard ($219.39 @ OutletPC)
Memory: G.Skill Trident Z 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3400 Memory ($84.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Samsung 970 Evo 500 GB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive ($89.99 @ Amazon)
Case: In Win Chopin HTPC Case w/150 W Power Supply ($100.00)
Total: $688.52

Beyond advice on if there are any problems or good substitutions in the above, one of the main questions I have is how the Ryzen APUs would handle high resolutions or multiple monitors; I have two 1920x1200 monitors at the moment and will probably switch to an ultrawide at some point. I'm guessing it'll probably be fine but I haven't been able to find info besides folks saying they are good enough to do low 1080p gaming and I'm not sure how that translates into higher resolution more casual usage.

i am kiss u now
Dec 26, 2005

College Slice
Finally looking to upgrade from my workhorse i5 2500k and I think I'm going to switch back to AMD. I really only need to upgrade the CPU, MOBO, RAM and cooler and after doing a little research, this is what I came up with:

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 3600X 3.8 GHz 6-Core Processor ($234.29 @ OutletPC)
CPU Cooler: CRYORIG H7 49 CFM CPU Cooler ($56.99 @ OutletPC)
Motherboard: MSI X570-A PRO ATX AM4 Motherboard ($149.89 @ OutletPC)
Memory: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3000 Memory ($77.98 @ Amazon)
Total: $519.15
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2019-10-26 16:33 EDT-0400

I have all the other bits (PSU, case, SSDs etc), and a 1060 6gb. I don't game as much as I used to but I will still hop into Prapar3d, DCS, SC2 and a few modern FPSs. I don't do 4k either (I'm still on 1680x1050) or I'd get a better video card but that might be something to consider down the road. I do plan on overclocking the CPU and budget isn't really a huge factor but I just don't want more than I really need since my current i5 2500k @ 4.5 is still holding up ok. I'm looking for a smoother experience mainly in the flight sims but I've been out of the PC game for so long but from a bit of research I've been doing leads me to believe that AMD now offers a bigger bang than Intel for the same price point.

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

i am kiss u now posted:

Finally looking to upgrade from my workhorse i5 2500k and I think I'm going to switch back to AMD. I really only need to upgrade the CPU, MOBO, RAM and cooler and after doing a little research, this is what I came up with:

PCPartPicker Part List

Memory: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3000 Memory ($77.98 @ Amazon)
Generated by PCPartPicker 2019-10-26 16:33 EDT-0400

I have all the other bits (PSU, case, SSDs etc), and a 1060 6gb. I don't game as much as I used to but I will still hop into Prapar3d, DCS, SC2 and a few modern FPSs. I don't do 4k either (I'm still on 1680x1050) or I'd get a better video card but that might be something to consider down the road. I do plan on overclocking the CPU and budget isn't really a huge factor but I just don't want more than I really need since my current i5 2500k @ 4.5 is still holding up ok. I'm looking for a smoother experience mainly in the flight sims but I've been out of the PC game for so long but from a bit of research I've been doing leads me to believe that AMD now offers a bigger bang than Intel for the same price point.

AMD is definitely the way to go. The stock cooler is sufficient, though some people find it too loud, so I'd go without a separate hsf and buy one if you can't live with it. Everything else looks fine, though you could find a cheaper motherboard.

How old is the PSU you're carrying over?

Stickman
Feb 1, 2004

Cloaked posted:

Hey PC folks!

I'm looking to build a tiny computer for mostly software development (which will include running clunky resource eating stuff like visual studio) and some non-heavyweight gaming (indie games and whatnot). I'd like to stay around or south of $750 and want to get an M.2 drive and fast(-ish) RAM due to me thinking that'll make my normal usage of the machine zippier than my current oldish gaming PC. Also, I'm in the US.

The current build I was looking at is something akin to this, after finding the In Win Chopin case (which I like since it looks like one of the few tiny cases that has good ventilation) and looking at what builds some internet people have used for it:

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-L9a-AM4 33.84 CFM CPU Cooler ($49.90 @ Amazon)
Motherboard: Gigabyte X570 I AORUS PRO WIFI Mini ITX AM4 Motherboard ($219.39 @ OutletPC)
Memory: G.Skill Trident Z 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3400 Memory ($84.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Samsung 970 Evo 500 GB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive ($89.99 @ Amazon)
Case: In Win Chopin HTPC Case w/150 W Power Supply ($100.00)
Total: $688.52

Beyond advice on if there are any problems or good substitutions in the above, one of the main questions I have is how the Ryzen APUs would handle high resolutions or multiple monitors; I have two 1920x1200 monitors at the moment and will probably switch to an ultrawide at some point. I'm guessing it'll probably be fine but I haven't been able to find info besides folks saying they are good enough to do low 1080p gaming and I'm not sure how that translates into higher resolution more casual usage.

You might want to also think about using an ASRock Deskmini A300. It doesn't have quite as high build quality as the Chopin, but it's $150, includes a 300W power supply and a motherboard, and fits the 3400g's stock cooler (you may have to remove the fan shroud) so would save a decent amount of money over the Chopin build:

PCPartPicker Part List

Memory: G.Skill 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3200 Memory ($94.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Sabrent Rocket 1 TB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive ($109.98 @ Amazon)
Case/Mobo/PSU: ASRock Deskmini A300 ($149.99 @ Amazon, $149.99 @ Newegg)
Total: $499.21

If you're buying from Newegg, you can also save $5 on the A300/3400g bundle. (E: Note that the A300 uses laptop memory: 260-pin SODIMM DDR4)

If you want to stick with the Chopin, I'd consider bumping the 970 up to a 1TB Sabrent Rocket (or $115 ex920). Unless your software development specifically benefits from faster RAM, I'd also save $17 and get a Crucial Ballistix Sport LT (or AT) 3200/3000 kit. The e-die overclocks well too.

You could also save a significant amount of money with a B450 motherboard like the $120 ASRock Fatal1ty, but there's a good chance that it won't be compatible out-of-the-box. If you live near a Microcenter you can save a good amount of money buying your motherboard and cpu from them, and they'll either have preflashed the bios or will do it for you in the store. Otherwise you'd need to get a short-term loaner cpu from AMD to flash the bios for it to be compatible.

I'd also think about whether more cores would be useful enough for you to give up the super-tiny sff. You could put together a significantly more powerful build with a Ryzen 2600 or 3600 in a slightly larger case for the same price.

Stickman fucked around with this message at 00:03 on Oct 27, 2019

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Gonna upgrade my gfx from 970 to 5700xt, are there any brands to watch out for or pick in preference?

i am kiss u now
Dec 26, 2005

College Slice

ItBreathes posted:

AMD is definitely the way to go. The stock cooler is sufficient, though some people find it too loud, so I'd go without a separate hsf and buy one if you can't live with it. Everything else looks fine, though you could find a cheaper motherboard.

How old is the PSU you're carrying over?

Maybe I'll look into a cheaper motherboard. I don't need anything with lights or PCI-E 4.0 or anything crazy.

It's a 530W/630W max, mid-range Rosewill.

Thanks!

Stickman
Feb 1, 2004

i am kiss u now posted:

PCPartPicker Part List

This looks pretty good, but I wouldn't pay $57 for an H7. At that price point, just get a Scythe Mugen 5 Rev.B - it's superior and $10 cheaper! Keep in mind that 3rd-gen Ryzen doesn't have very much overclocking potential - you'll be vastly increasing power consumption in exchange for very tiny gains. Also, the 3600x is only about 3% more powerful than the 3600 so it's hard to recommend paying an extra $40 for. If you decide not to overclock, I'd just start with the stock cooler - it's sufficient for cooling and you can replace it later if you find it too loud.

I'd also steer clear of the MSi X570-A Pro or Gaming Plus. They have pretty inferior VRM. It won't be a problem with a 3600, but the ASRock Phantom Gaming 4 has the same features except for the usb c port (it still has type A gen 2 ports), and the Pro4 adds the type-c port for only $14 more, as well as a key-E m.2 if you want to add wifi.

MaxxBot
Oct 6, 2003

you could have clapped

you should have clapped!!

sebmojo posted:

Gonna upgrade my gfx from 970 to 5700xt, are there any brands to watch out for or pick in preference?

The Gigabyte Gaming OC card is what I'm gonna get because it has a solid cooler and doesn't have a big price premium.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

sebmojo posted:

This is the store I'm likely to use, for reference.

Stickman
Feb 1, 2004

You'll want a dual-fan card - the blower 5700xts are universally hot and loud. Unfortunately, the ASRock Challenger doesn't have any official reviews I could find - from trip reports it sounds like it's loud but decently cool. ASRock doesn't have a best track record with their cooling systems, though.

That leaves the Sapphire Pulse as your cheapest option I'd heartily recommend (and it's a good card). The Gigabyte Gaming OC, Sapphire Nitro+, and several of the top-end cards are also good, just more expensive.

Stickman fucked around with this message at 00:03 on Oct 27, 2019

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

i am kiss u now posted:

Maybe I'll look into a cheaper motherboard. I don't need anything with lights or PCI-E 4.0 or anything crazy.

It's a 530W/630W max, mid-range Rosewill.

Thanks!

I ask about the PSU because we typically recommend replacing them if they're out of warranty when doing substantial upgrades. I can't say they're likely to go, but it would major suck if it did and took the new stuff with it.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Stickman posted:

You'll want a dual-fan card - the blower 5700xts are universally hot and loud. Unfortunately, the ASRock Challenger doesn't have any official reviews I could find - from trip reports it sounds like it's loud but decently cool. ASRock doesn't have a best track record with their cooling systems, though.

That leaves the Sapphire Pulse as your cheapest option I'd heartily recommend (and it's a good card). The Gigabyte Gaming OC, Sapphire Nitro+, and several of the top-end cards are also good, just more expensive.

thanks very much, i think quiet would be nice so might go for the gigabyte

MikeC
Jul 19, 2004
BITCH ASS NARC

i am kiss u now posted:

The 2500k was holding me back a lot. I didn't have one of the nice ones and all I could get without running 1.5v through it was 4.2 Ghz. I definitely noticed issues though especially with poorly optimized games like Mankind Divided which had noticeable frame skips and input lag as well as the new AC titles. Mankind Divided still runs like dogshit sometimes on my 3600X but at least it stays near 60 FPS in the worst-case scenario and the input lag is gone. The stock cooler is loving loud and has an annoying growling tone to it as it ramps up beyond 50%. In the process of seeing if there is a quieter fan that can fit onto the stock cooler because gently caress me if I didn't have headphones on while gaming.

Stickman posted:

I have the 5700xt Pulse right now and under certain circumstances, there is coil whine. It is rare and I only encountered it in two games. Northgaard and a wargame called Fields of Glory 2. I just wanted to put that out there for folks who are sensitive to this stuff. No other games seem to produce it.

i am kiss u now
Dec 26, 2005

College Slice
Thanks for all the help guys. I've settled on:

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 3600 3.6 GHz 6-Core Processor ($194.79 @ OutletPC)
CPU Cooler: Scythe Mugen 5 Rev. B 51.17 CFM CPU Cooler ($48.89 @ OutletPC)
Motherboard: ASRock X570 Phantom Gaming 4 ATX AM4 Motherboard ($148.99 @ Amazon)
Total: $470.65
Generated by PCPartPicker 2019-10-27 16:08 EDT-0400

I just checked and the PSU was purchased in 2017 so it should still be in good shape.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

You should grab the 3200mhz memory for usually the same price. It's the best bang for buck for Ryzen. At the same price you might as well.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07M9HZFP2/ref=ox_sc_act_title_2?smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER&th=1

Mu Zeta fucked around with this message at 21:28 on Oct 27, 2019

i am kiss u now
Dec 26, 2005

College Slice

Mu Zeta posted:

You should grab the 3200mhz memory for usually the same price. It's the best bang for buck for Ryzen. At the same price you might as well.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07M9HZFP2/ref=ox_sc_act_title_2?smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER&th=1

I shall do that. Thanks.

cr0y
Mar 24, 2005

Can anyone give me a ballpark estimate on what it might cost to run a PowerEdge T710 per month? I am working on a home lab build (esxi) and older Dell towers can be had cheap but I'm concerned for the power consumption. I really dont know how to estimate this with the on the fly power adjustments CPUs and drives do.

Scruff McGruff
Feb 13, 2007

Jesus, kid, you're almost a detective. All you need now is a gun, a gut, and three ex-wives.

cr0y posted:

Can anyone give me a ballpark estimate on what it might cost to run a PowerEdge T710 per month? I am working on a home lab build (esxi) and older Dell towers can be had cheap but I'm concerned for the power consumption. I really dont know how to estimate this with the on the fly power adjustments CPUs and drives do.

It can vary quite a bit based on the state you're in and the configuration, 2 CPUs consume quite a bit more power than one and low GHz Xeon consume significantly less than high GHz. My guess would be 5-10kWh per month so probably $20-$30ish.

Exodor
Oct 1, 2004
Looking to replace my i5-4960 based PC. I'll be mostly gaming at 2560x1440. I'll bring over the RTX 2060 from my current rig (I understand it's a little underpowered for 2K gaming but I'm fine with having to dial back the details a bit.

I've picked out the parts below. I'd like the system to be as quiet as possible. Should I look into a aftermarket CPU cooler or is the stock cooler quiet enough?

PCPartPicker Part List

Motherboard: MSI B450-A PRO MAX ATX AM4 Motherboard ($103.98 @ Newegg)
Memory: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3200 Memory ($82.99 @ Amazon)
Case: be quiet! Pure Base 600 ATX Mid Tower Case ($79.90 @ Amazon)
Power Supply: EVGA SuperNOVA G3 650 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply ($90.98 @ Newegg)
Total: $662.62
Generated by PCPartPicker 2019-10-27 19:52 EDT-0400

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

It'll depend on the case but generally if you want it to be as quiet as possible you should pick up an aftermarket one.

MikeC
Jul 19, 2004
BITCH ASS NARC

Exodor posted:

Looking to replace my i5-4960 based PC. I'll be mostly gaming at 2560x1440. I'll bring over the RTX 2060 from my current rig (I understand it's a little underpowered for 2K gaming but I'm fine with having to dial back the details a bit.

I've picked out the parts below. I'd like the system to be as quiet as possible. Should I look into a aftermarket CPU cooler or is the stock cooler quiet enough?

PCPartPicker Part List

Motherboard: MSI B450-A PRO MAX ATX AM4 Motherboard ($103.98 @ Newegg)
Memory: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3200 Memory ($82.99 @ Amazon)
Case: be quiet! Pure Base 600 ATX Mid Tower Case ($79.90 @ Amazon)
Power Supply: EVGA SuperNOVA G3 650 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply ($90.98 @ Newegg)
Total: $662.62
Generated by PCPartPicker 2019-10-27 19:52 EDT-0400

3600 CL 16 ram available for like 2 dollars more. https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07X8DVDZZ?tag=pcpapi-20&linkCode=ogi&th=1&psc=1 Not a huge difference but you will eke out 2-5 more frames per second 0.1%/ 1% lows in most titles.

Get an aftermarket cooler for sure, stock coolers work well but are loud. Not sure how much room is in your budget for it.

notwithoutmyanus
Mar 17, 2009
What country are you in? USA
What are you using the system for? Web and Office? Gaming? Video or photo editing? Professional creative or scientific computing? Professional day trading + Plex server + trading bot. Aiming for either a dell 49" 4k or the 8k monitor, depending. I want to make sure I can have a million windows open and still stream plex in the background for other people.
What's your budget? We usually specify for just the computer itself (plus Windows), but if you also need monitor/mouse/whatever, just say so. Probably limit is $5k-10k range excluding monitor, as I'm just going to use trading profits to buy something like that 49" dell curved 4k monitor.
If you’re doing professional work, what software do you need to use? What’s your typical project size and complexity? If you use multiple pieces of software, what’s your workflow? Trading is super CPU intensive/significant numbers of windows so probably something like Ryzen 3900x as my bias towards Ryzen.
If you're gaming, what is your monitor resolution? How fancy do you want your graphics, from “it runs” to “Ultra preset as fast as possible”? I don't care so long as it can render, but I have a Vega 56 lying around if it's enough to support either 4x4k or I can buy something else.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

That pure base 600 case should do a pretty good job of muffling the cpu cooler noise right? The case fans are also silent wings.

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost
I had to futz with my CPU cooler a bit to get it screwed on correctly which meant taking it slightly off and putting it back on a couple of times - as long as I applied the correct amount of thermal paste and tightened it correctly in the end I don't need to worry about air bubbles and the like, yeah?

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

Mozi posted:

I had to futz with my CPU cooler a bit to get it screwed on correctly which meant taking it slightly off and putting it back on a couple of times - as long as I applied the correct amount of thermal paste and tightened it correctly in the end I don't need to worry about air bubbles and the like, yeah?

Unless you get temp spikes I wouldn't worry, I've never managed to get them on right the first (or second) time and it's never been an issue.

betterinsodapop
Apr 4, 2004

64:3
Has anybody noticed that the default fan on the Scythe Mugen 5 rev.B kinda emits a whine?
Also: this may just be my thinly veiled justification to pickup the new murdered-out Noctua NH-D15 chromax black...\

:ninja: edit: I also understand I could just get a new fan, but... Noctua in black!?

Woebin
Feb 6, 2006

My desktop started regularly bluescreening a few months ago and I haven't been using it since, although when it happened I did some troubleshooting and think the source of the problem was heat damage on the CPU.

Anyway, I miss it, and I really want to be able to play Outer Worlds among other things, so I figured I'd replace the CPU and the MoBo to get it running again (the current MoBo is a ASUs P8Z77-V which I figure 1) is a bit old and might not even support the CPU I should get, and 2) replacing a CPU and getting all that old thermal paste off seems like a chore). Here are the parts I'm thinking about, while trying to be budget-conscious:
MoBo: ASUS Prime Z370-A II
CPU: Intel® Core™ i5-9600K Processor
CPU Cooling: Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo

I know I'll have to get some DDR4 RAM to replace the DDR3 RAM I currently have, but I figure for that I'll just grab whatever's cheapest from a reputable brand. I've already got everything else - an SSD and secondary HDD, a 750W PSU, a GeForce GTX 1070 Ti (which I got shortly before the machine died). Should be all good, right? Any obvious mistakes I'm about to make?

ReelBigLizard
Feb 27, 2003

Fallen Rib
I'm new to AiO coolers, what's the deal with pump speed? I get that they are not designed to ramp up / down but experimenting with my new 3400G setup running the pump at 60% doesn't seem to make any difference at all to the thermals and makes it appreciably quieter. I've seen some people say that it needs to be run at 100% all the time and some people say that it's fine to run it lower as long as it's not ramping/up down.

I appreciate that pumps are optimised to avoid cavitation at the rated speed but running a liquid pump slower, at least in real world (not PC-cooling) wisdom, tends to extend pump life, not shorten it.

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

39 perfect posts with each roll.

Woebin posted:

My desktop started regularly bluescreening a few months ago and I haven't been using it since, although when it happened I did some troubleshooting and think the source of the problem was heat damage on the CPU.

Anyway, I miss it, and I really want to be able to play Outer Worlds among other things, so I figured I'd replace the CPU and the MoBo to get it running again (the current MoBo is a ASUs P8Z77-V which I figure 1) is a bit old and might not even support the CPU I should get, and 2) replacing a CPU and getting all that old thermal paste off seems like a chore). Here are the parts I'm thinking about, while trying to be budget-conscious:

I know I'll have to get some DDR4 RAM to replace the DDR3 RAM I currently have, but I figure for that I'll just grab whatever's cheapest from a reputable brand. I've already got everything else - an SSD and secondary HDD, a 750W PSU, a GeForce GTX 1070 Ti (which I got shortly before the machine died). Should be all good, right? Any obvious mistakes I'm about to make?

If you're trying to make good budget choices you should make the jump to AMD with a 3600 probably.

ReelBigLizard
Feb 27, 2003

Fallen Rib

Dr. Despair posted:

If you're trying to make good budget choices you should make the jump to AMD with a 3600 probably.

The AMDs come with a cooler and the equivalent motherboard is cheaper too so you could actually go 3700X for the same price.

Stickman
Feb 1, 2004

Woebin posted:

A couple of things:

Building around a Ryzen 3600 instead will be significantly cheaper. The 9600k + Prime-A II + 212 is ~$400, while a 3600 (which comes with a sufficient stock cooler) + MSi B450 Tomahawk Max is just $310 (or ~350 if you move up to an X570 for the extra m.2 slot, audio upgrade, and extra USB ports). The 3600 is slightly less powerful for single-core applications and more powerful for multi-core, though your unlikely to notice any difference in gaming either way. In fact, you could drop down to 2600 + ASRock B450 Pro4 and not notice much of a difference in current games (the reduced single core performance means it has a harder time pushing very high 100+ FPS in more demanding games, though).

Either way I’d recommend the Crucial Ballistix LT 3200 as your best bang-for-buck ram.

If you do stick with Intel, you’ll need to get a z390 board rather than z370 - the latter are only compatible with 9th gen CPUs after a bios update, and you’d need an eighth-gen cpu for the update. Some are updated already, but if you’re buying online it’s a crapshoot. The z390 Pro4 is a decent budget option that would work well for a 9600k. I also would pay $30 for a Hyper 212 - either save $10 and get a Gammaxx 400 or spend a few bucks extra for an Arctic Freezer 34.

E: You’re GPU and drives should carry over form, but if your PSU is out of warranty I’d get a new one rather than risking your shiny new parts on it.

Scruff McGruff
Feb 13, 2007

Jesus, kid, you're almost a detective. All you need now is a gun, a gut, and three ex-wives.

notwithoutmyanus posted:

What country are you in? USA
What are you using the system for? Web and Office? Gaming? Video or photo editing? Professional creative or scientific computing? Professional day trading + Plex server + trading bot. Aiming for either a dell 49" 4k or the 8k monitor, depending. I want to make sure I can have a million windows open and still stream plex in the background for other people.
What's your budget? We usually specify for just the computer itself (plus Windows), but if you also need monitor/mouse/whatever, just say so. Probably limit is $5k-10k range excluding monitor, as I'm just going to use trading profits to buy something like that 49" dell curved 4k monitor.
If you’re doing professional work, what software do you need to use? What’s your typical project size and complexity? If you use multiple pieces of software, what’s your workflow? Trading is super CPU intensive/significant numbers of windows so probably something like Ryzen 3900x as my bias towards Ryzen.
If you're gaming, what is your monitor resolution? How fancy do you want your graphics, from “it runs” to “Ultra preset as fast as possible”? I don't care so long as it can render, but I have a Vega 56 lying around if it's enough to support either 4x4k or I can buy something else.
I mean, with that kind of budget you can pretty much do whatever you want.
CPU: 3900x would be fine. It's also worth noting that the 3950x is supposed to release in November so if your trading software is that CPU intensive and can utilize all cores you might as well go with that.
CPU Cooler: Sustained load on that many cores means you'll probably want to get at least the Scythe Mugen 5 or Noctua NH-D15 (I'm only familiar with air cooling so I can't speak for AIOs).
Motherboard: For compatibility peace of mind and to be sure you've plenty of VRM capacity for that many cores it's probably worth going with the Asus X570 TUF Gaming, though the usual B450 recommendations (Tomahawk and Pro Carbon) should work as long as you're not overclocking. It's rumored that the 3950x launch will also bring B550 chipset boards but I don't think that's confirmed or even if we know that they'll be available for non-system integrators any time soon.
Memory: The default suggestion is 16GB (2x8) DDR4 3200 kits. If you know that your software could use more then you can go for 32GB (2x16), might make sense if there's that much multi-tasking and Plex in the background.
Video Card: Are you doing 4x 4k or are you doing a single large 4k/8k monitor? I wasn't sure from your description how that was going to work. If you're not gaming then the single display should be able to run on even just a 1050. For multiples you'd probably have to make sure the card had the right number and type of output. In this use case It might also be appropriate to go with something like a Quadro P1000 which is cheaper than the 2060 Super, has 4 mini DisplayPort and is supposed to be great for driving 4k displays/signage but I don't really know enough about Quadro to know if that makes sense or how that might affect your ability to use the system for other applications if wanted, especially when today's gaming cards can basically do the same stuff. The Vega 56 might work, I think it supports MST daisy chaining with displayport too even if the card itself doesn't support 4 monitors at once from its direct outputs.

Even going 32GB on RAM, Noctua cooler, 850w PSU, and a 2070 Super I wasn't breaking $2k unless I tried.
PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 3900X 3.8 GHz 12-Core Processor ($499.99 @ Best Buy)
CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 CHROMAX.BLACK 82.52 CFM CPU Cooler ($99.95 @ Amazon)
Motherboard: Asus TUF GAMING X570-PLUS ATX AM4 Motherboard ($189.49 @ SuperBiiz)
Memory: Crucial Ballistix Sport AT 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR4-3200 Memory ($156.99 @ Amazon)
Video Card: Gigabyte GeForce RTX 2070 SUPER 8 GB WINDFORCE OC 3X Video Card ($499.99 @ Newegg)
Case: Fractal Design Meshify C ATX Mid Tower Case ($98.98 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: EVGA SuperNOVA G3 850 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply ($154.88 @ OutletPC)
Total: $1810.25

Woebin
Feb 6, 2006

Dr. Despair posted:

Stickman posted:

A couple of things:

Building around a Ryzen 3600 instead will be significantly cheaper. The 9600k + Prime-A II + 212 is ~$400, while a 3600 (which comes with a sufficient stock cooler) + MSi B450 Tomahawk Max is just $310 (or ~350 if you move up to an X570 for the extra m.2 slot, audio upgrade, and extra USB ports). The 3600 is slightly less powerful for single-core applications and more powerful for multi-core, though your unlikely to notice any difference in gaming either way. In fact, you could drop down to 2600 + ASRock B450 Pro4 and not notice much of a difference in current games (the reduced single core performance means it has a harder time pushing very high 100+ FPS in more demanding games, though).

Either way I’d recommend the Crucial Ballistix LT 3200 as your best bang-for-buck ram.

If you do stick with Intel, you’ll need to get a z390 board rather than z370 - the latter are only compatible with 9th gen CPUs after a bios update, and you’d need an eighth-gen cpu for the update. Some are updated already, but if you’re buying online it’s a crapshoot. The z390 Pro4 is a decent budget option that would work well for a 9600k. I also would pay $30 for a Hyper 212 - either save $10 and get a Gammaxx 400 or spend a few bucks extra for an Arctic Freezer 34.

E: You’re GPU and drives should carry over form, but if your PSU is out of warranty I’d get a new one rather than risking your shiny new parts on it.
Thanks, both of you! Small issue though: I'm in Sweden (which I should have mentioned off the bat, sorry!), and availability + pricing is a bit different from the US. I've been browsing by popularity on Prisjakt, the Swedish equivalent of Pricerunner, which is how I came up with my initial findings. Looking at your tips:

OK, so first I need to decide whether to go Intel or AMD. The Intel CPU is slightly more expensive, around $27 USD. Not enough difference that I'd downgrade over it, I think, but then there's the issue of cooling.

For cooling the options are all roughly $26~$27. Sounds like the Arctic Freezer 34 is the best of the three though? It's also the cheapest, but that's marginal.

Switching here from the 370 to a 390 is somehow less expensive by like a dollar, but w/e. The Intel-compatible MoBo is also slightly cheaper than the AMD one.

In total, going AMD would run me 3673:-, or about $380. Going Intel lands around 4128:-, or $425. This is of course excluding the RAM and PSU, which I expect will be the same regardless of this choice.
Both of these options are within an acceptable budget for me, I think. I'd be inclined to spend the extra $45 to go Intel, in part because it's my impression that it'd be slightly more performant, but honestly mostly out of habit. But maybe I'm a big dumb idiot?

E: Also, seriously, I know I opened with thanks but I'm closing with it too. This thread and previous iterations of it is always invaluable to me when upgrading, you're all swell.

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

Nah. In some cases it might have slightly higher max fps, but the extra 6 threads on the AMD side help with minimum frame times / smoothness. The 3600 is just a better choice overall.

Constellation I
Apr 3, 2005
I'm a sucker, a little fucker.
I'd still go with the 3600.

I wouldn't go with an i5 at this point since the lack of multi-threading makes it a bad buy IMO for future games (and even current games where they're thread-hungry and the minimum / 1% low FPS suffers, hello Frostbite) Plus it's cheaper.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stickman
Feb 1, 2004

What resolution/refresh rate are you gaming at? The 9600k's small 5% single-core performance boost over the 3600 is really only going to translate into a small boost in fps at very high frame rates - most of the time they'll be no difference whatsoever. The 3600 has a significant multi-core advantage which will mean better frame-rate stability as games utilize more cores, but again won't be a noticeable difference currently (and probably not for a few years yet). In fact, if you're mostly gaming at 60 fps, you're not going to see a performance difference between either of those processors and a 1440kr 2600 for current games (and probably not for several years yet).

The AMD platform also has the advantage in upgradeability: the Tomahawk is decent enough to drop in upgrades all the way up to a 12-core 3900x and there's a decent chance that the 4th generation of Ryzen processors will also be compatible. An entry-level z390 like the Prime-p would potentially run a 9700k at stock speeds, but I wouldn't try to upgrade to a 9900k, and future generations are extremely unlikely to be compatible. Ryzen drop-in upgrades are also made easier by the fact that Ryzen processors actually drop in price over time due to multi-generational compatibility of the motherboards.

In the end, though, you really can't go wrong either way - they're very close in price and performance!

E: The Asus Prime Z390-p lacks the prime z370-a ii's usb-c port. If you want one I'd get the ASRock z390 Pro4 instead.