Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RandomBlue
Dec 30, 2012

hay guys!

Biscuit Hider

Hellsau posted:

hey i think something went horribly wrong with my quest when it autoupdated

Oh come on with that guardian outline, don't kid yourself.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

NEVER FUCKING TAKE A NIGHT OFF CLAN WARS.

RandomBlue posted:

That big wedge on the left is three feet of outline keeping me from knocking over the TV again, with the little devil horns so I can orient myself.

Also I factory reset the Quest, downloading all my games again and let's hope poo poo ain't hosed no more.

e: lol i downloaded and installed everything downstairs next to the router because i was too lazy to connect it to the 2.4ghz signal since i'm gonna need to keep it on the 5ghz one anyway for ALVR, then brought the quest upstairs to sideload everything and it couldn't gain tracking in the new room, wouldn't allow me to setup a new guardian, wouldn't recognize or track the controllers and wouldn't allow me to select restart with the volume buttons so I had to just hold the power button and hard reset, what the gently caress did they do in this latest firmware that it hates my hardware

Hellsau fucked around with this message at 06:52 on Oct 28, 2019

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

RandomBlue posted:

:perfect:

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

I think I'm good for gear in this RotR run :shepface:. I had two 100-round drum mags for this thing out of random crates.

Also I highly recommend grabbing some fuel tanks and setting up the traps near the lake and checkpoints. There's a guy near the first Nest in a house in the back corner that'll give you powertools for doing so. A power drill, Chainsaw, and Circular Saw, respectively. The latter two make blissfully-short work of the green Hives.

Breakfast All Day
Oct 21, 2004

What movement mode do most people use in H3? They finally added directional stick movement, but it always acts weird with WMR (drift or super uneven speeds in different directions).

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Breakfast All Day posted:

What movement mode do most people use in H3? They finally added directional stick movement, but it always acts weird with WMR (drift or super uneven speeds in different directions).

Armswinger is a lot of fun, and I think it's the best control scheme. It's also a good workout in RotR or Take and Hold, especially when you get cornered and have to flail like a madman to sprint.

Mr Luxury Yacht
Apr 16, 2012

Yeah as seconding armswinger.

It takes a little practice to be able to smoothly move into a room with a rifle up to clear it but other than that it's the most effective and has the bonus (at least for me) of causing pretty much no motion sickness compared to other smooth movement options

Breakfast All Day
Oct 21, 2004

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Armswinger is a lot of fun, and I think it's the best control scheme. It's also a good workout in RotR or Take and Hold, especially when you get cornered and have to flail like a madman to sprint.

I'll give it another try. It just always seems so slow to my quake broken brain.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

I'll give it another try. It just always seems so slow to my quake broken brain.

Make big swinging gestures, like you're actually jogging on the spot.

Stick100
Mar 18, 2003

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Anton uses arm swinger and it seems the only reasonable choice. Joystick movement is really slow and teleport/blink are not something I care for.

Paingod556
Nov 8, 2011

Not a problem, sir

Arm swinger all the way. I only regret it on arm day at the gym.

Also I'm maybe halfway through completing all the quests, and I love how the unlock system works now. Not enough to be super imba, but it does let me create true 'zombie killa' rifles-

Also Anton figured out a way to make Ubisoft style radio towers not be a lovely game mechanic. Instead of just holding buttons until something goes ding, you have to manually, physically climb up and around the bastards. I actually had fun with that quest.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Paingod556 posted:

Also Anton figured out a way to make Ubisoft style radio towers not be a lovely game mechanic. Instead of just holding buttons until something goes ding, you have to manually, physically climb up and around the bastards. I actually had fun with that quest.

I loved them too. I also like the ropes and ladders placed everywhere to get up onto higher levels now. The verticality really helps for exploration too in places like the Old Mine.

My only actual complaint with RotR is that the blue hive cores only succumb to a grenade launcher and not improvised explosives.

BMan
Oct 31, 2015

KNIIIIIIFE
EEEEEYYYYE
ATTAAAACK

I will never Arm Swing :colbert:

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:
And I'm going to give it a shot, normally I just use free joystick movement.

Also the Vive controllers make H3 a lot more fun for me, the way you can manipulate guns and the world using your fingers besides just the triggers is rad.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you
VR Megathread: Swingers Beating Sabers

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

No Muscles For The Majority
When I tried armswinger before, I couldn't figure out how to step backward or sideways, and it bugged me, so I use smooth movement. I might try it again, but it felt frustrating to want to sidestep a bit behind cover, but seemingly having to physically turn myself and "walk" forward instead.

Stick100
Mar 18, 2003

Shine posted:

When I tried armswinger before, I couldn't figure out how to step backward or sideways, and it bugged me, so I use smooth movement. I might try it again, but it felt frustrating to want to sidestep a bit behind cover, but seemingly having to physically turn myself and "walk" forward instead.

Or you can aim the controllers in the direction you want and then swing that way.

It takes about 15 minutes to get the hang of but it works really well in H3VR. I never use it except H3VR and it works well (and the other options in H3VR don't).

Stick100
Mar 18, 2003

Paingod556 posted:

Arm swinger all the way. I only regret it on arm day at the gym.

Also I'm maybe halfway through completing all the quests, and I love how the unlock system works now. Not enough to be super imba, but it does let me create true 'zombie killa' rifles-

I assume that is all Rise of Rotwieners? I've been playing a bunch of Take and Hold but haven't tried RoR yet.

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

Stick100 posted:

Or you can aim the controllers in the direction you want and then swing that way.

It takes about 15 minutes to get the hang of but it works really well in H3VR. I never use it except H3VR and it works well (and the other options in H3VR don't).

Turning my controllers (and thus my weapon) to move in that direction feels like a downgrade in usability, considering that I've been side/backstepping one direction while aiming/shooting in another direction since like 1993.

SirViver
Oct 22, 2008
If you have the Index controllers (read: separate joystick and touchpad) then Twin Stick movement mode is objectively the best one. It's the only mode that allows you to freely and accurately move while shooting/reloading and is IMO the one that feels the most like you're actually playing an FPS. Personally I use the left stick to move, hold right stick forward for sprint and right stick click for jump. I've also rebound my A and B buttons to simulate touchpad clicks where A drops the mag (down) and B triggers the bolt release (top right), so those buttons become quite useful for most guns and circumvent some of the touchpad jank.

Armswinger is the second best alternative if you don't have the hardware or can't stomach joystick based movement, but I find it to be significantly less practical. You can move and shoot when using handguns, but doing so with two-handed guns or moving while reloading is a no go. I also think waggling your arm to move is a weird association, but I guess that's just a matter of getting used to it.

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

Shine posted:

Turning my controllers (and thus my weapon) to move in that direction feels like a downgrade in usability, considering that I've been side/backstepping one direction while aiming/shooting in another direction since like 1993.

TBH this is one aspect of the current crop of VR FPS games I really hate - people zipping around, zig zagging and strafing in and out of cover like they do in regular FPS games. It feels wrong for people to be that maneuverable while also being able to accurately track and shoot in something that's supposed to feel more realistic

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

Lemming posted:

TBH this is one aspect of the current crop of VR FPS games I really hate - people zipping around, zig zagging and strafing in and out of cover like they do in regular FPS games. It feels wrong for people to be that maneuverable while also being able to accurately track and shoot in something that's supposed to feel more realistic

That's fair, and in the last thread I noted that I find teleportation (or dash-to-point, like in Payday 2) appealing for that reason, as with those movement types I'm more likely to teleport/dash myself into a general position, and then step around that position (physically lean around cover, etc.). But then I'll get killed in Onward because it took me a half-second longer to physically position myself and aim than it would if I'd thumbstick'd myself out of cover while having perfectly steady aim the whole time, or I won't quite be positioned well enough to step around my cover and my chaperone will pop up, so I'll have to do a fine-tune teleport/dash so that I can properly step around, which takes me out of the moment and slows me down.

It's one of of those cases where gamerbrain takes over and doing what's convenient takes priority over doing something with unique appeal, but annoying drawbacks. I imagine it's a difficult prospect for designers to balance for competitive VR shooters, since not every playspace allows for the same mobility, but people will get mad if you balance twinstick by making it feel more sluggish, or by adding artificial aim penalties during/immediately after a stick movement.

I think I'd like H3VR armswinger if I could hold the stick in a direction to move that direction. Like, without touching sticks, it works as it does now. But if I hold a stick direction, then I still need to swing my arms to move (so my aim won't be perfect in motion), but I'll move in the stick direction. I think that would be a good compromise between movement affecting aim, but still feeling decently mobile and able to shoot at something while backing up or sidestepping.

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

I like the B&S approach of stick movement for walking and arm swinging for running.

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

NEVER FUCKING TAKE A NIGHT OFF CLAN WARS.

Armswinger. I did so many curls in my first couple of nights of the new Rotweiners patch.

Stick movement is fine, except I would prefer to have both sticks enabled for movement and use the face buttons for the things you'd use direction+click for, but that'd take too much SteamVR configuration editing for me to bother with. I did that poo poo for Fallout VR, never again.

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

Stick100 posted:

Fortnite Floss Circle Strafe.

Stick100
Mar 18, 2003

SirViver posted:

If you have the Index controllers (read: separate joystick and touchpad) then Twin Stick movement mode is objectively the best one.

Try Armswinger for 15 minutes (1 take and hold). I have no issues with artificial movement/rotation but after giving arm swinger a shot I really warmed up to it.

Also you can move really fast with Arm swinger that I did not see with twin stick.

You do make a really good argument and I'll probably try your setup sometime. Using buttons for drop clip would be really useful since you sometimes misclick on the index.

El Grillo
Jan 3, 2008
Fun Shoe
Vanishing Realms got a DLC! Which is longer than the original game (not that long I guess).

I quite enjoyed the original, despite the very early-VR mechanics. Had a lot of charm (and reminded me a lot of Zelda).

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

Steam Halloween sale is up, some of my wishlisted VR titles are on sale. Might pick up Gorn and Elven Assasin.

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

I’d been waiting for a sale to try out Bow To Blood, then as soon as I load it up I discover it doesn’t support the Index controllers and I can’t interact with the menus at all. Pretty bummed about that. :(

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Cartoon Man posted:

Steam Halloween sale is up, some of my wishlisted VR titles are on sale. Might pick up Gorn and Elven Assasin.

Gorn is the truth.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.
So awhile back I was saying "you know what would be cool, is a Time Crisis remake in VR", and well, be the change you want to see in the world and all that

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QjUTfT9mrTU

I got a lot to learn about VR game dev but its coming along pretty nicely.
I think I'll probably put together a Point Blank style shooting gallery first to test things out (as is tradition in VR gaming right now) and then build to time crisis stages

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

Zaphod42 posted:

So awhile back I was saying "you know what would be cool, is a Time Crisis remake in VR",

Did you try Crisis VRigade? It was tough but fun when I put a few hours in earlier in the year.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RLeJwbwSkRY

(It’s available for PCVR as well)

Tatsuta Age
Apr 21, 2005

so good at being in trouble

Zaphod42 posted:

So awhile back I was saying "you know what would be cool, is a Time Crisis remake in VR", and well, be the change you want to see in the world and all that

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QjUTfT9mrTU

I got a lot to learn about VR game dev but its coming along pretty nicely.
I think I'll probably put together a Point Blank style shooting gallery first to test things out (as is tradition in VR gaming right now) and then build to time crisis stages

Hey this is pretty cool :)

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

NoneMoreNegative posted:

Did you try Crisis VRigade? It was tough but fun when I put a few hours in earlier in the year.

I haven't! That's super cool, and also drat close to what I was thinking. :sweatdrop:

But I'm also probably gonna go a bit more futuristic with it, I have visions of a hovercar chase through a city like a mix of Virtua Cop and The Fifth Element

Tatsuta Age posted:

Hey this is pretty cool :)

E: Looking at Crisis VRigade more, its pretty different. I was planning on doing the thing time crisis does where only some shots are accurate, and they're bright red so you can tell, and doing a bit of a Superhot VR thing where you can/have to dodge those red bullets flying at you slowly. So you get that foot-pedal duck and hide action. Looks like Crisis Vrigade is also pretty hard! Environments look great though, very low-poly Payday. And if anything, this proves that I'm not the only person who wants Time Crisis VR! There's a market! :)

Zaphod42 fucked around with this message at 04:50 on Oct 29, 2019

Ralith
Jan 12, 2011

I see a ship in the harbor
I can and shall obey
But if it wasn't for your misfortune
I'd be a heavenly person today
Rise of the Rotwieners is cool, but I cannot for the life of me find the second teleporter you need to unlock, which sucks because every attempt is a long walk.

Sing Along
Feb 28, 2017

by Athanatos

Ralith posted:

Rise of the Rotwieners is cool, but I cannot for the life of me find the second teleporter you need to unlock, which sucks because every attempt is a long walk.

why'd you stop playing Pavlov?

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Ralith posted:

I'll just list them all;

Spork in the Road's is on the roof, use the ladder to reach it. (1 Cell)

Lakeside is atop the hill in the back corner across the lake. (2 Cells)

The Old Mine is waaay the gently caress at the back, on a hill where it's absolutely useless. (3 cells)

Downtown Wienerton is right outside one of the town entrances (4 Cells, load up your Large inventory slots and rush for this first as it's the one you'll use most).

Old Wienerton's is a fair ways in, hug the left path and you'll run into it eventually.

Ralith
Jan 12, 2011

I can and shall obey

Sing Along posted:

why'd you stop playing Pavlov?
Because at least half the people involved in competitive play are really terrible people, and the people I liked playing with on the team I was on left. Plus playing the same maps for the hundredth time with win/loss coming down to who's ten milliseconds faster on the trigger got old. Teamwork with a cool group of people can make up for that, but...

Neddy Seagoon posted:

I'll just list them all;

Spork in the Road's is on the roof, use the ladder to reach it. (1 Cell)

Lakeside is atop the hill in the back corner across the lake. (2 Cells)

The Old Mine is waaay the gently caress at the back, on a hill where it's absolutely useless. (3 cells)

Downtown Wienerton is right outside one of the town entrances (4 Cells, load up your Large inventory slots and rush for this first as it's the one you'll use most).

Old Wienerton's is a fair ways in, hug the left path and you'll run into it eventually.
That's almost exactly as little information as the game itself gave me. Would it kill this game to have a map somewhere, so I at least have more than vague guesses what any of these even are?

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Ralith posted:

Because at least half the people involved in competitive play are unrepentant assholes, and the people I liked playing with on the team I was on left. Plus playing the same maps for the hundredth time with win/loss coming down to who's ten milliseconds faster on the trigger got old. Teamwork with a cool group of people can make up for that, but...

That's almost exactly as little information as the game itself gave me. Would it kill this game to have a map somewhere, so I at least have more than vague guesses what any of these even are?

Enter the Lakeside area. See the hill behind where the big Hive/Nest thing is across the lake to your right? It's there.

For the Old Mine just hug the right path until you come to an open-ish area with a hill in the center, the ramp up is around the left side of it.

The Wienerton Ruins ones is pretty hard to miss, because it's literally right outside one of the fire-trapped entrances to the Downtown hub area.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ralith
Jan 12, 2011

I can and shall obey

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Enter the Lakeside area. See the hill behind where the big Hive/Nest thing is across the lake to your right? It's there.
What even is the Lakeside area? The place with the fisherman?

I must have walked past the Wienerton one multiple times, but iirc there's only three entrances so I guess I should be able to brute force it.

e: yep, got em both, thanks. Some credit due to one of the "old" rifle spawns in the starting area being a sweet 10-round rail-covered rifle that I almost immediately lucked into a red dot sight for. The absurd variety of guns is a surprisingly compelling game mechanic in the context of a survival game.

Ralith fucked around with this message at 06:36 on Oct 29, 2019