Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lanth
Jun 15, 2007
Lipstick Apathy

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

Made my first anti-submarine weapon, before I even have enemy submarines to use them on.

Now playing: hellmarch.mp3

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

anothergod
Apr 11, 2016

https://twitter.com/LUNARSIGNALS/status/1188312660300963841?s

Spawning enemies on the overworld = me playing my game by myself for hours

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Soda is the best Pop brand by far

Trying to do a kinda wreath design for the beer can but man pixel art leaves are hard to do

Ignite Memories
Feb 27, 2005

In my head this makes a sound like when you jump on a dry bones in mario

atholbrose
Feb 28, 2001

Splish!

Tibeerius Caesar

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Wood texture suuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuucks but I'm pretty happy with the cusion for now

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Accidentally activated some insane rave mode in ScreenToGif

Which I may have to take as inspiration and try to do a crazy lighting effect like that on purpose lmao

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Zaphod42 posted:

Accidentally activated some insane rave mode in ScreenToGif

Which I may have to take as inspiration and try to do a crazy lighting effect like that on purpose lmao

Back off, brah. I have a monopoly on VR raves and this town ain't big enough for the both of us. :clint:

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

KillHour posted:

Back off, brah. I have a monopoly on VR raves and this town ain't big enough for the both of us. :clint:

Haha

I still haven't settled on exactly what style I'm going to go for. I'm struggling with making good textures, which was the whole reason for exploring 3D / VR in the first place.

So I may keep things super simple and go for like a phong shaded early Virtua Cop style look. Or maybe i'll git gud at the textures. Or maybe I'll go heavy into shaders after all and cel-shade everything...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2ZVxyxBjHOk

This is feeling pretty good! Need to work on animations soon so you can tell better when the gun is empty. Should probably go ahead and rig up some gun sounds too...

But the laser pointer and ammo counter both feel pretty sweet.

E: Just added gunshot sounds and reload sounds, now that's way juicier :getin:

Zaphod42 fucked around with this message at 03:22 on Oct 28, 2019

KRILLIN IN THE NAME
Mar 25, 2006

:ssj:goku i won't do what u tell me:ssj:

I'm getting Receiver-ish vibes from that (I guess because flat shaded gun?) and it makes me wish receiver had VR

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

KRILLIN IN THE NAME posted:

I'm getting Receiver-ish vibes from that (I guess because flat shaded gun?) and it makes me wish receiver had VR

Yeah I had a similar thought about receiver myself recently.

There are a whole lot of games trying to be basically receiver but VR right now. Some better than others.
Being able to mime the actual motions of reloading your gun feels really good, and is definitely going to be one of the main things I'll be working on.

The thing is I kinda want to nail a classic Light Gun arcade experience, like Time Crisis or Virtua Cop. And in those, it was generally shoot offscreen to reload, and that'd take a moment and make you make a motion with your gun, but it was also pretty quick so you could still frantically shoot-reload-shoot-reload.

So I'll have to see how much having a million manual steps to loading your gun gets in the way of action. But then, taking awhile to reload and that leaving you vulnerable does kinda play into both the idea of being in a hurry with a time limit from Time Crisis as well as having to duck behind cover. I really like the idea of having to duck, reload, and then pop back up, but I also don't want to force the player to do one thing in particular. It should just be risky to reload while still standing...

I'm also playing around with the idea of different guns having different reload steps, so like a revolver could require you to roll out the cylinder, dump the casings, press a speedloader or even rotate the touch pad to simulate loading individual rounds... but again, at a certain point it becomes tiresome to do that over and over if you're in a light-gun action wave shooting environment.

But then, maybe being more realistic, having fewer enemies, but taking longer to reload and deal with those few enemies, maybe that'll work better in VR than shooting dozens and dozens of goons rapid fire? I'm gonna find out!

ZombieApostate
Mar 13, 2011
Sorry, I didn't read your post.

I'm too busy replying to what I wish you said

:allears:
Could make part of the challenge for individual levels the kind of gun you have to work with. I think that would break up the gameplay a good bit and give you a lot of variety. The revolver might be kind of involved to play a whole game with, but a single level designed specifically for it could still be a fun change of pace. That would also make it make sense to have wacky weapons on some levels of you're into that kind of thing.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

ZombieApostate posted:

Could make part of the challenge for individual levels the kind of gun you have to work with. I think that would break up the gameplay a good bit and give you a lot of variety. The revolver might be kind of involved to play a whole game with, but a single level designed specifically for it could still be a fun change of pace. That would also make it make sense to have wacky weapons on some levels of you're into that kind of thing.

True, I was already planning an LA Machineguns style helicopter turret section later on.

I could have like a "wild west" themed level where you use a slower revolver but the enemies are paced for it.... mayhaps...

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
And a level where you use a slingshot.

Omi no Kami
Feb 19, 2014

Huh, so Disco Elysium has an interesting UX challenge: most of the gameplay is very complex infinity-engine esque conversation trees, where passing and failing skill checks branches the conversation in different ways. Some skill checks are conscious choices, e.g. "[Dexterity 10] Do some cool sleight of hand," and others occur mid-conversation and roll automatically, both branch the conversation in various different ways.

What's interesting on a UX level is that it doesn't function like I thought it did. The game has tons of skills, and tons of conversation options for every skill, so what it wants you to do is pick your favorite 4-5 skills and pour tons of points into 'em, so conversations will be shaped around the kind of stuff your character is good at. The issue is that because of the sheer volume of voluntary and automatic skill gates that are in each conversation, it doesn't show things that you aren't qualified for- really neat options that you have a 0% chance to succeed at are hidden.

Me and a few players I talked to all made the same mistake, where we sprinkled our points around in tons of different skills, because we didn't want to go overboard and buff our core stuff up until we started seeing hard-to-pass checks start to come up. Since most checks are either squarely within your capacity to pass or not, we were completely unaware that increasingly high-level skill options were even a thing, and because small amounts of points also have a visible effect, we all felt as if we were playing in the intended way.

It doesn't really matter, because the game is built so you can make a hilariously sub-optimal garbage build and still have loads of fun, but I thought it was interesting that developer expectation and player behavior could deviate so far without anyone being aware of a problem. I almost don't think it's worth sweating- the only real solution I see would be to lampshade when you are failing or missing out on checks, and the sheer number of skill checks present means that every conversation would be a constantly trickle of "You couldn't do a cool thing" notifications, which is a lot less immersive and fun than just seeing the fun stuff you can do right this instant.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Its also more artificial and videogamey, in canon your character doesn't know what they don't know! It also spoils potential alternative playthroughs.

But, you're right not being aware is a problem. Lots of games struggle with players just not playing right but continuing to struggle because eventually they do progress and so don't realize they're even missing something. Most of the industry has settled on extensive tutorials and tips popups to resolve this but it feels so annoyingly hand holdey sometimes.

But it is definitely a major issue if there's a disconnect between how the designers and gamers approach the game.

And honestly in the modern age I think "watch a lets play and see that other things happen" is a reasonable answer?

I love the old "kids talk about zelda secrets on the playground" social aspect of gaming. Dark souls was big on that. What would be a negative is instead a positive as it creates rewarding knowledge to be shared with others.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!
I don't really think that's a mistake on the part of DE. If you aren't choosing to build that way you are consciously being goal orientated, and the character that results is actually quite a goal-orientated character. Building a character with the higher levels of particular skills is synonymous with choosing to roleplay a more eccentric, more extreme, more 'interesting' character. So I think the player's intent and how it comes across does actually match quite well.

It's valid to play as Boring Regular Cop and the experience isn't actually boring.

Fangz fucked around with this message at 20:04 on Oct 28, 2019

baby puzzle
Jun 3, 2011

I'll Sequence your Storm.
A game is on sale.

https://twitter.com/SEQUENCE_STORM/status/1188866515233198081

also on sale on itch too: https://special-magic-games-llc.itch.io/sequence-storm

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Zaphod42 posted:

Its also more artificial and videogamey, in canon your character doesn't know what they don't know! It also spoils potential alternative playthroughs.
otoh you don't know what you're missing so you might not feel like doing more playthroughs. Or have any idea what you should do differently in your following playthroughs for that matter.

I like it when games give you the option - put a "show/hide dialogue options you don't fulfill reqs for" option in the settings and I'll always turn it on, but don't make it mandatory. It can make dialogue trees a bit cluttered if there are truly a ton of choices, but for most RPGs I feel like it's the best option.

Stick100
Mar 18, 2003

Your Computer posted:

otoh you don't know what you're missing so you might not feel like doing more playthroughs. Or have any idea what you should do differently in your following playthroughs for that matter.

I like it when games give you the option - put a "show/hide dialogue options you don't fulfill reqs for" option in the settings and I'll always turn it on, but don't make it mandatory. It can make dialogue trees a bit cluttered if there are truly a ton of choices, but for most RPGs I feel like it's the best option.

It sounds like for DE it would be WAY too many options. There are something like 30 skills, so it's possible later in the game that many convo tree would have like 30+ options, instead of 4. Since there are skill checks for many skills and non-skill check options as well.

Miker525
Jan 2, 2011
So I wanted to ask this, as it expires tomorrow I believe I was curious if anyone has any experience using the RPGMaker MV suite or the Visual Novel maker tools included in the current humble bundle.i grew up learning and using XNA for 2D and have since then just been tinkering using GMS2 for my own projects. Are RPGMaker and VN maker decent enough engines/tools? I'm not nor have I ever really been trying to make games to sell but more as a hobby and to share with my friends. I know people always mock RPGMaker but watching the video and some YouTube tutorials quickly it looks like a capable enough engine as long as your content is original. Guess I just kind of wanted any feedback from someone who's used it before I drop $50 on them.

Additionally curious as I've only ever really worked in 2d what the general consensus on beginning the switch to 3d was. I've been looking closely at GoDot 3.2 as it looks like a fairly stable and solid engine for both 2d and 3d and it's open source which really seems to hit all the boxes for me but I was curious about it's capabilities compared to engines like Unity or Unreal. I get the feeling that GoDot will be the most likely candidate for me but again just curious.

Thanks!

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Stick100 posted:

It sounds like for DE it would be WAY too many options. There are something like 30 skills, so it's possible later in the game that many convo tree would have like 30+ options, instead of 4. Since there are skill checks for many skills and non-skill check options as well.
like I said, for most :v:

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!
I was thinking for making music for something I want to work on that I could use various classical pieces for inspiration, get some MIDI compositions of then, and rearrange them to taste. I'm wondering how to acquire and work with those files without getting into some kind of legal trouble; I assume some money has to change hands. Then I'm wondering what my best bet is for getting a good output software-wise that sounds good these days. I'm out of the loop on what music software has been doing over the past, like 17 years.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Miker525 posted:

Are RPGMaker and VN maker decent enough engines/tools?

Decent, yeah. Rpgmaker's problem is that the further what you want is from a JRPG the more of a pain in the rear end it is. And the default assets are recognizable. Replace the characters, tiles and UI and it won't feel as "rpgmaker" but then, you could just Unity at that point?

But if you want to make an rpg it will get you going fast. I think some people prototype in rpg maker and then build a full game in another engine later on. Its pretty easy to get going.

Also LISA was RPGmaker so you totally can make polished games with it.

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

I was thinking for making music for something I want to work on that I could use various classical pieces for inspiration, get some MIDI compositions of then, and rearrange them to taste. I'm wondering how to acquire and work with those files without getting into some kind of legal trouble; I assume some money has to change hands. Then I'm wondering what my best bet is for getting a good output software-wise that sounds good these days. I'm out of the loop on what music software has been doing over the past, like 17 years.

You're gonna have to contact like ASCAP or some poo poo. There's probably a website or some modern process, but I would try to find music in the public domain if at all possible so you can sidestep that entirely. poo poo's also not cheap if you want commerical rights.

There's so much music software. It kinda depends on your style? There's trackers, loopers, and just full audio editors.

Probably start with like Fruity Loops, Ableton Live or Garageband. Course, I'm also several years out of the loop. "Sounds good" is way ambiguous. I think MIDI tracks sound good if the melody is enjoyable.

Zaphod42 fucked around with this message at 22:09 on Oct 28, 2019

A LOVELY LAD
Feb 8, 2006

Hey man, wanna hear a secret?

College Slice

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

I guess it depends how unrecognisable they are once youve rearranged them and depending on the midi file, some may be creative commons or public domain (for example if its really really old, which classical generally is :v:), the midi site may have licencing info on it somewhere.

As for making it sound bit nicer, you can run it through a Digital Audio Workstation (DAW), hopefully another goon can point you in the right direction for decent free ones if you need - as a start https://www.careersinmusic.com/best-free-daw/

For the most part, you can import the midi into these and assign it with a decent sounding instruments hopefully already contained within the DAW - but you can also download new ones https://bedroomproducersblog.com/free-vst-plugins/

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Hmmm, I built an animation in Blender and imported it into Unity, and I'm firing it off but it doesn't seem to be doing anything for some reason, and my gun is eternally now locked in the "just fired" position when it shouldn't be...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QjUTfT9mrTU

Still, can't be too mad. So far everything's been super easy. Got the ammo counter to pop up only when you look at it, its a little finnicky but it mostly works.

I guess I should work on enemy shooting next... need to do some real basic animations. I'm no animator but luckily I can get away with letting ragdoll physics do most of the heavy lifting for me, I just need people to stand up and duck and occasionally shoot.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Do you have your animation controller set up correctly?

Likely reasons are that you need to let unity create a generic rig and/or you don’t have a default pose so unity thinks the slide back is default.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

al-azad posted:

Do you have your animation controller set up correctly?

Likely reasons are that you need to let unity create a generic rig and/or you don’t have a default pose so unity thinks the slide back is default.

Do you have to have an animation controller? I was hoping to just manually play animations instead of going through the whole animation controller node system, but I guess that's just not a thing you can do eh

free Trapt CD
Aug 22, 2013

*~:coffeepal:~*
I've got plenty of java
and Chesterfield Kings

*~:h:~*

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

Before the 20th century, most classical music is going to be public domain. But what we mean by that is the sheet music, basically - audio recordings, which includes midi recordings, have copyright, and since all midi recordings were necessarily made in the last 70 years you would technically be committing a crime if you even edited a midi you hadn't paid for.

However: if you edited it really extensively, you might be able to get away with it on the grounds that it's more like an audio sample. It's a little unclear legally, but if you really went in hard you might be in the clear.

Other options: some famous piano players made piano rolls in the early 20th century that have been converted to midi. I think those files are public domain, if you can find them.

Alternatively you can get public domain sheet music from imslp.org and contract somebody on Fiverr to make a quick midi transcription. After that you'd take the midi into Reaper (or something like Finale Notepad if you wanted to push and pull notes around directly), and you could use free sample libraries if you wanted legit instrumental sounds, or just free synthesizers otherwise.

The first Drakengard had a soundtrack made of chopped-up orchestral recordings, and that's another thing you can do - go to archive.org and see if there's any recordings of the piece you like. It's not midi, you would be editing the audio clips directly like a sampler. Imslp.org also has some recordings.

One final esoteric option would be to buy PhotoScore, which I think can convert sheet music onto midi. But that's way more hardcore than you're looking for I think.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Zaphod42 posted:

Do you have to have an animation controller? I was hoping to just manually play animations instead of going through the whole animation controller node system, but I guess that's just not a thing you can do eh

You could hard code the animations but for a 3D game where everything is rigged it's a lot more efficient to use the controller and you'll be thanking yourself down the road when you can just flip a bool to string together separate animations smoothly together. Like you could have 1 animation that's just the slide locked back and let Unity interpolate between idle/default frames and manually adjust recoil. Fire animation? Reload animation? Manually ejecting a cartridge? Slide locking after ejecting your last round? Releasing the slide after reloading? All of that could be done with a single animation in the controller whereas you're dealing with 5 separate animations using the legacy system.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

The thing is with it being VR, a lot of things I won't want to just fire an animation. I could set it all up so I have inputs to the animation controller but based on my experience before I figured I may not want all that. Reloading will be a matter of the player manually moving a clip into place themselves, matched to their hand, not some animation, and then it'll just kinda snap to loaded. That's kinda my saving grace with VR, I don't need any player animations whatsoever. You ARE the animations :)

So it should be possible? I think I'm just importing something wrong... but I'll play with it more tomorra. Will try adding a controller too just to see if that gets it going.

Lanth
Jun 15, 2007
Lipstick Apathy

Zaphod42 posted:

The thing is with it being VR, a lot of things I won't want to just fire an animation. I could set it all up so I have inputs to the animation controller but based on my experience before I figured I may not want all that. Reloading will be a matter of the player manually moving a clip into place themselves, matched to their hand, not some animation, and then it'll just kinda snap to loaded. That's kinda my saving grace with VR, I don't need any player animations whatsoever. You ARE the animations :)

So it should be possible? I think I'm just importing something wrong... but I'll play with it more tomorra. Will try adding a controller too just to see if that gets it going.

Probably talking out of my rear end here, but maybe you can use Blend Trees and Animation Events for the desired result?

https://docs.unity3d.com/Manual/class-BlendTree.html

https://docs.unity3d.com/Manual/script-AnimationWindowEvent.html

That is if you're using Unity in the first place.

I've had more headaches trying to get the Animator States to play nice than I'd like to admit, but I like the way it works in theory, with parts of the animation triggering events/ functions/parameters or syncing animations to parameters like user input, walk speed etc.

FuzzySlippers
Feb 6, 2009

Yeah I've said before how much I dislike mecanim and the its state graphs. You can play a clip/fade clips directly with a Playables API based player and there are examples around of doing so. Mecanim has just never seemed very stable or consistent to me.

Though I do my 3d animations kinda weird which is also actually how they are done in Receiver. I setup poses via muscle data in unity and tween to them. 'Animations' are just chains of poses and tween lengths. If the animation needs to change it switches the current tween target so its fairly smooth for fading and such. Since the muscles are independent of the rig they can be pointed at any humanoid avatar.

I suck at animation in general and I get lost easily in Maya/Blender so this works well for my humble first person animation needs. I grokked fiddling with muscle sliders a lot more than all the fiddly transform/ik stuff in an animation program. I know Overgrowth started with these kind of animations for a full 3d character but I heard he gave up and went to a normal animation workflow eventually. I imagine it would not stand up to such a crazy fighting game's animation needs, but I think for more limited needs this kind of workflow is certainly simple.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

At the end of the day whatever works for a person is what you should go with but that script is insane because it's literally blend shapes except they probably have even less control if they wanted to do some baked animation like the character talking or whatever. If that's what the Overgrowth dev used it absolutely makes sense why they ditched it.

Rectus
Apr 27, 2008

Zaphod42 posted:

It's really nice to have a dynamic trigger pull animation layer in VR though.

e: pew pew
https://twitter.com/rectus_sa/status/1159560871644934151

Rectus fucked around with this message at 11:46 on Oct 29, 2019

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Can you aim it into your mouth to heal yourself?

Rectus
Apr 27, 2008

Synthbuttrange posted:

Can you aim it into your mouth to heal yourself?

It's just a toy in SteamVR Home at the moment, but great idea if I ever make a game with it!

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

Miker525 posted:

So I wanted to ask this, as it expires tomorrow I believe I was curious if anyone has any experience using the RPGMaker MV suite or the Visual Novel maker tools included in the current humble bundle.i grew up learning and using XNA for 2D and have since then just been tinkering using GMS2 for my own projects. Are RPGMaker and VN maker decent enough engines/tools? I'm not nor have I ever really been trying to make games to sell but more as a hobby and to share with my friends. I know people always mock RPGMaker but watching the video and some YouTube tutorials quickly it looks like a capable enough engine as long as your content is original. Guess I just kind of wanted any feedback from someone who's used it before I drop $50 on them.

RPG Maker MV is a good tool that's fixed a lot of the issues it originally had but for personal reasons I dislike that they moved from C based engines to a web based (Chromium Embedded Framework) one. I'm probably biased beyond just disliking desktop web applications as I've been hoping for something like RMVXa but using LUA scripting for a while now.

Omi no Kami
Feb 19, 2014

Rectus posted:

It's just a toy in SteamVR Home at the moment, but great idea if I ever make a game with it!

Maybe a rail shooter with procedural levels, bullets are a deck-building game: you determine the type of bullets your clip can start with, pick up new bullet types during gameplay. Each time you run out, you draw new bullets from your stash, when they're all expended the clip is shuffled. Get confused/frazzled and you accidentally shoot the enemies with a healing bullet, or shoot yourself with a flame/rocket/acid trip bullet. Instant game loop!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Sounds like Noita.