Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zlodo
Nov 25, 2006
chair goon project gently caress yeah

be sure to document the disaster in detail

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

syntaxrigger
Jul 7, 2011

Actually you owe me 6! But who's countin?

Zlodo posted:

chair goon project gently caress yeah

be sure to document the disaster in detail

I am actually tempted but then I remember I am afraid to spend money on anything (Yay, Capitalism!) let alone tools that I'd rarely use for a goon project. Besides I am sure the minute I finished it the goalposts would shift.

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

classic case of pineapple derangement syndrome
i feel like i've discouraged someone from building something and now i feel bad

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

rotor posted:

you have discouraged someone from designing something from scratch, they could still build from an existing pattern and not injure themselves

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

rotor posted:

redirect that energy into encouraging them to build something else instead

like a guillotine

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

i've seen so much, i'm going blind
and i'm brain dead virtually

College Slice

FMguru posted:

redirect that energy into encouraging them to build something else instead

like a guillotine

:hai:

syntaxrigger
Jul 7, 2011

rotor posted:

You are good people rotor.

Don't sweat it. If I ever pull the trigger on any woodworking I'll let you know :)

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

skeleton

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
the reason we're freaking out about this being a stupid idea is that you are designing furniture for literally the curviest part of your body with tons of sensitive nerves and joints and this stupid thing called a spine, literally every square inch of your interface here is rounded and if you sit a curved thing on a flat surface, you get pressure points and life gets miserable quick, and woodworking projects get exponentially harder as you start to make more parts of them curved.

there are dudes that make a living literally just tweaking the foam padding on motorcycle seats for somebody's individual taint and sit bones, and that's like 1.5 square feet. a whole chair is like, life's work

syntaxrigger
Jul 7, 2011

Jonny 290 posted:

the reason we're freaking out about this being a stupid idea is that you are designing furniture for literally the curviest part of your body with tons of sensitive nerves and joints and this stupid thing called a spine, literally every square inch of your interface here is rounded and if you sit a curved thing on a flat surface, you get pressure points and life gets miserable quick, and woodworking projects get exponentially harder as you start to make more parts of them curved.

there are dudes that make a living literally just tweaking the foam padding on motorcycle seats for somebody's individual taint and sit bones, and that's like 1.5 square feet. a whole chair is like, life's work

If my post suggested that I could design and build a chair better than some designer who has studied all of the important books to design a herman miller chair then that wasn't my intent. I cannot design a chair better than a herman miller chair designer.

I am just still a bit mad that I spent 1k on a chair and it hurts to sit in after a few hours. Spending that kind of money on something as basic as a chair shouldn't result in pain. But oh well my wife likes the chair tho so it isn't a total loss.

I didn't return it because shortly after the purchase I was diagnosed with a herniated disc that caused nerve pain in my leg so I just avoided it thinking that was the problem.

Spoilers: It wasn't.

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts

lol

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

syntaxrigger posted:

If my post suggested that I could design and build a chair better than some designer who has studied all of the important books to design a herman miller chair then that wasn't my intent. I cannot design a chair better than a herman miller chair designer.

I am just still a bit mad that I spent 1k on a chair and it hurts to sit in after a few hours. Spending that kind of money on something as basic as a chair shouldn't result in pain. But oh well my wife likes the chair tho so it isn't a total loss.

I didn't return it because shortly after the purchase I was diagnosed with a herniated disc that caused nerve pain in my leg so I just avoided it thinking that was the problem.

Spoilers: It wasn't.

not all chairs are equally good for all people

git apologist
Jun 4, 2003

I bought a Mirra on our local eBay equivalent for about $150. when I lived in London I got one for about the same, and a Steelcase Leap (the best for me) for a little more.

they were all well worth it. build a chair sure but just buy a secondhand one immediately to keep you going

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene
the leap v1 was the most comfortable chair i've ever used, for me, personally. that floating back omg. leap v2 is runner-up.

but i actually don't use a leap v1 because i get too fuckin hot and sweaty in my lovely house in the summer, so i replaced it with a h-m mirra.

much less comfortable for my physiology, but it has mesh seating surfaces

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

i've seen so much, i'm going blind
and i'm brain dead virtually

College Slice
just woke up with throbbing neck and shoulder pain

when i stand up it mostly goes away

might be time for a new mattress

ShadowHawk
Jun 25, 2000

CERTIFIED PRE OWNED TESLA OWNER

Hed posted:

I’d be curious what aux exercises you ended up using
Face pulls, stretches, neck raises, reverse planks, a lot of attention to form and everyday ergonomics/posture

My little mnemonic is to doublecheck my posture every time I hit a loading screen or progress bar

This video (and others on the channel) is pretty good: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g-7ZWPCWv0U

syntaxrigger
Jul 7, 2011

Cold on a Cob posted:

just woke up with throbbing neck and shoulder pain

when i stand up it mostly goes away

might be time for a new mattress

When this happened to myself and my wife we got a tuft and needle. It owns and was affordable.

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

A combination of computer touching and contact sports has brutalized my neck, spine, and shoulders

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band
some tingling in my left-hand fingers. now to spend some quality time freaking out about whether it's just the carpal tunnel coming back or if it's a heart attack :downsbravo:

(it's the carpal thing -- i was leaning with the desk edge on my left forearm. but my brain doesn't care)

prefect fucked around with this message at 16:47 on Oct 25, 2019

psiox
Oct 15, 2001

Babylon 5 Street Team
gently caress, found a single moth on my couch this morning

possibly a one-off but probably the vanguard of a new invasion force

they must be crushed into a powder for our children and our children's children. lepidoptera delenda est

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

prefect posted:

some tingling in my left-hand fingers. now to spend some quality time freaking out about whether it's just the carpal tunnel coming back or if it's a heart attack :downsbravo:

(it's the carpal thing -- i was leaning with the desk edge on my left forearm. but my brain doesn't care)

Calcium deficiency leads to tingly extremities. Drink milk.

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
all of ya vitamins and minerals are somewhat important
also water. water is nature’s powerade

psiox
Oct 15, 2001

Babylon 5 Street Team
drinkin' plenty of water

'cause i'm drinkin' them claws, brah

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine
I guess I could see getting a used mesh Aeron, but the idea still gives me minor :shudder:?

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

Schadenboner posted:

I guess I could see getting a used mesh Aeron, but the idea still gives me minor :shudder:?

i bought mine used. The whole point of the mesh is that it doesn't store up farts. You can just clean it with windex or whatever.

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

rotor posted:

i bought mine used.

IN 1998!

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

for those keeping score at home, that's $33/year

syntaxrigger
Jul 7, 2011

rotor posted:

i bought mine used. The whole point of the mesh is that it doesn't store up farts. You can just clean it with windex or whatever.

Doesn't the mesh also prevent it from getting hot?

Stymie
Jan 9, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

syntaxrigger posted:

it also keeps tigers away

syntaxrigger
Jul 7, 2011

so does bofa

Stymie
Jan 9, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
bank of america?

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

syntaxrigger posted:

i mean yeah but

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

ShadowHawk posted:

Face pulls, stretches, neck raises, reverse planks, a lot of attention to form and everyday ergonomics/posture

My little mnemonic is to doublecheck my posture every time I hit a loading screen or progress bar

This video (and others on the channel) is pretty good: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g-7ZWPCWv0U

lol @ that tattoo

mystes
May 31, 2006

rotor posted:

for those keeping score at home, that's $33/year
If you had bought it two years later in 2000 it would have probably been $33 total. Also, having mostly worked in places that use Aeron chairs, IMO Ikea chairs are more comfortable than Aerons.

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

mystes posted:

If you had bought it two years later in 2000 it would have probably been $33 total. Also, having mostly worked in places that use Aeron chairs, IMO Ikea chairs are more comfortable than Aerons.

yeah, no

no they are not

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Schadenboner posted:

used chairs have usually been re-upholstered en toto

because nobody wants to buy twenty years of somebody's post-chili office farts along with the chair

pram
Jun 10, 2001

mystes posted:

Also, having mostly worked in places that use Aeron chairs, IMO Ikea chairs are more comfortable than Aerons.

powerful wrongpost

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

pram posted:

powerful wrongpost
solid username change candidate

syntaxrigger
Jul 7, 2011

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

used chairs have usually been re-upholstered en toto

because nobody wants to buy twenty years of somebody's post-chili office farts along with the chair

Is that just hyberbole or can office chairs really smell like farts? I ask because I have no sense of smell.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DiggityDoink
Dec 9, 2007

syntaxrigger posted:

Is that just hyberbole or can office chairs really smell like farts? I ask because I have no sense of smell.

i lived with a guy for a few years where every time he sat down in his computer chair, a waft of rear end would come out of it.