Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

sassassin posted:

It's a shame every episode of Bob's Burgers has the exact same saccharine sweet structure. You don't need to watch more than one and probably won't want to.
Did you miss the first 2-3 seasons that constantly poo poo on Bob?

It's definitely dated but TNG proposed a radically harmonious future at the time.

ToS was no slouch with Chekov and Uhura, either.

FilthyImp has a new favorite as of 19:14 on Oct 27, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat

sassassin posted:

It's a shame every episode of Bob's Burgers has the exact same saccharine sweet structure. You don't need to watch more than one and probably won't want to.

Wow I never read something so wrong.

Gaunab
Feb 13, 2012
LUFTHANSA YOU FUCKING DICKWEASEL
They mention how the resturant underperforms so much in Bob's Burgers that I get a little stressed watching some episodes. It's irrational but I can't help it.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Gaunab posted:

They mention how the resturant underperforms so much in Bob's Burgers that I get a little stressed watching some episodes. It's irrational but I can't help it.
It's because Bob likes his mediocre state. The Tiki theme brought in a ton of people who raved about his food but he wants to be some kind of Jonathan Gold-esque hidden gem where people spread the worth of his burgers through word of mouth.

Kind of the opposite of his dad's who just had a bunch of regulars and decent foot traffic.

It's also kind of weird how you get episodes saying they're floating checks left and right but spend $400 on a knife that's ruined in 2 days of $300 on a couch they just burn like no biggie.

MrUnderbridge
Jun 25, 2011

Yeah, weird. It's almost like many unsuccessful people don't make good financial decisions!

Cause that never happens in real life.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

FilthyImp posted:

It's definitely dated but TNG proposed a radically harmonious future at the time.

For every 1 thing TNG did that was progressive it did at least 2 things that were godawful and shameful.

Three words: Code of Honor.

Whybird
Aug 2, 2009

Phaiston have long avoided the tightly competetive defence sector, but the IRDA Act 2052 has given us the freedom we need to bring out something really special.

https://team-robostar.itch.io/robostar

Nap Ghost

John Murdoch posted:

For every 1 thing TNG did that was progressive it did at least 2 things that were godawful and shameful.

Three words: Code of Honor.

If it managed to keep it down to just 2, that puts it some distance ahead of most other mainstream sci-fi.

Jokerpilled Drudge
Jan 27, 2010

by Pragmatica

MrUnderbridge posted:

Yeah, weird. It's almost like many unsuccessful people don't make good financial decisions!

get a load of this believer in the meritocracy of capitalism

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
Especially for restaurants which are effectively a dice roll if the dice are stacked heavily against you

MrUnderbridge
Jun 25, 2011

Ok, scratch out unsuccessful.

Parakeet vs. Phone
Nov 6, 2009
Debatably it has the most accurate depiction of the cycle of getting a short influx of cash from a boom, blowing it and winding up back where you started.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Parakeet vs. Phone posted:

Debatably it has the most accurate depiction of the cycle of getting a short influx of cash from a boom, blowing it and winding up back where you started.

A lot of Bobs Burgers comes off as a parody of the kind of boom to bust you see with tons of young dynamic restaurateurs who think they are the next James Beard or Heston Blumenthal.

https://torontolife.com/food/restaurant-ruined-life/

Literally everything about how to fail at a restaurant is summed up in that article.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

FilthyImp posted:

Did you miss the first 2-3 seasons that constantly poo poo on Bob?

I watched a new one the other day and the kids laid into their dad just like always. It was about how he can't clean his ears because he's a useless slob and general baby.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

pentyne posted:

A lot of Bobs Burgers comes off as a parody of the kind of boom to bust you see with tons of young dynamic restaurateurs who think they are the next James Beard or Heston Blumenthal.

https://torontolife.com/food/restaurant-ruined-life/

Literally everything about how to fail at a restaurant is summed up in that article.

I made it about halfway through before that was too painful to read. It’s true what they say, though, the best way to make a small fortune in the restaurant business is to start with a large one.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Restaurants are a really good way to launder money.

Shwoo
Jul 21, 2011

I liked the bit where his restaurant was losing money because he didn't understand that he needed to sell his product at more than it cost to produce.

Parakeet vs. Phone
Nov 6, 2009
To be fair, breaking down the unit cost is a tough part that takes a little commercial cooking knowledge, which he didn't have. It's easy to think that your prices are fair and in line with others until you sit down and figure out exactly what half a fish and an eighth of a vegetable cost. People screwing up the basics like that come up a lot on business rescue TV, at least. I remember one episode of Hotel Impossible that had a whole bunch of the usual drama, but the actual rescue was just pointing out that their rooms were crazily underpriced for the area and quality. They priced themselves like they were a motel, but it was nice apartment style suites. All the owner had to do was fix their prices and buy a real sales system to track things like.

The real craziness was taking a week's vacation right as things were turning around.

RichardA
Sep 1, 2006
Dinosaur Gum
Installing new flooring and giving staff raises, before the restaurant was profitable, from money made from selling their house was insane.

grittyreboot
Oct 2, 2012

Edit: nevermind

grittyreboot has a new favorite as of 09:51 on Oct 28, 2019

quidditch it and quit it
Oct 11, 2012

The real craziness was taking a week's vacation right as things were turning around.

Absolutely this. It’s hospitality, you don’t get holidays for years and years until everything else is running absolutely perfectly.

You don’t loving close for a week when you’re in your earning season.

TheKennedys
Sep 23, 2006

By my hand, I will take you from this godforsaken internet
All perfectly in line with the empirically verified fact that most small business owners are loving insane

also don't open a restaurant. like period. just don't do it.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

That was the part where I had to stop reading. Especially when I realized that him taking a vacation meant closing the goddamn restaurant.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

That article is physically painful to read. What an absolute moron. I can't imagine dragging your family through all that because you think you're some amazing loving restaurateur-in-the-making because you cook nice dinners.

hyperhazard
Dec 4, 2011

I am the one lascivious
With magic potion niveous
Anyone who starts off by bitching about how their life is so terrible because they work in an office earning a steady paycheck with a $130k pension can safely be ignored.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

food court bailiff posted:

That article is physically painful to read. What an absolute moron. I can't imagine dragging your family through all that because you think you're some amazing loving restaurateur-in-the-making because you cook nice dinners.

It's genuinely incredible how many people fail to realize that cooking a nice dinner for your family is vastly different from making a profit off of cooking many dinners for many families on a daily basis. Cooking for you and yours is an entirely different loving planet from running a restaurant.

Jokerpilled Drudge
Jan 27, 2010

by Pragmatica

That article is physically painful to read. What an absolute moron.

Uh, are you sure he's a moron? Look at this flawless business acumen

quote:

I also placed an ad for line cooks. Dozens of resumés came in, so I set up 11 interviews; only two showed up. I soon learned that this no-show tendency is the norm in the restaurant industry. One was a Chinese exchange student who spoke almost no English, the other a tattoo-covered trans woman who dressed like a vampire. Neither had much restaurant experience, but they seemed nice, so I hired them, too.

Jokerpilled Drudge has a new favorite as of 17:32 on Oct 28, 2019

Shut up Meg
Jan 8, 2019

You're safe here.

I never enjoy reading stuff like this because usually the people doing it are morons, but nice.

The absolute bastards never end up in situations like that - quite the opposite, usually.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

sassassin posted:

Exactly, it's the same stock "joke" as in the other shows people are talking about. Characters bully x for reasons we don't understand, and keep doing it even after we find out why and sympathise with the victim over the assholes they have to put up with.

Right, but because all of the people are fictional, and there's no apparent explanation for why every character inexplicably behaves that way, it's funny.

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

More like "Bulges Adventure"
Articles about restaurateurs like that are why Bar Rescue is so entertaining. You will find some people who are good souls but lovely at business. However, the best episodes involve shitheads who also happen to be lovely at business.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Bogus Adventure posted:

Articles about restaurateurs like that are why Bar Rescue is so entertaining. You will find some people who are good souls but lovely at business. However, the best episodes involve shitheads who also happen to be lovely at business.

The way the meat on those nachos just erupts like a geyser is hypnotic.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

exquisite tea posted:

The way the meat on those nachos just erupts like a geyser is hypnotic.

I think that's just chips and salsa, nachos would hold together better.

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat
Cultivating your own mushrooms isn't a health code violation it's just a good way to save money.

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

The Pirates episode of Bar Rescue is possibly the best example of someone ruining their lives to run a bar/restaurant

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

On the internet, nobody knows you're a dog.

Bogus Adventure posted:

Please give episode examples from Bar Rescue/Restaurant Rescue/ the Profit/ any similar show of terrible people with terrible personailties goong bankrupt. In the current political climate I desperatley need to watch some awful people getting whats coming into them.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

Is that a mushroom growing on a door?

E: This isn’t asking about that gif, I’m talking to myself as I pose nude in the mirror

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

BIG FLUFFY DOG posted:

Please give episode examples from Bar Rescue/Restaurant Rescue/ the Profit/ any similar show of terrible people with terrible personailties goong bankrupt. In the current political climate I desperatley need to watch some awful people getting whats coming into them.

There's the legendary Amy's Baking Company episode of Kitchen Nightmares, which I think is still the only restaurant Gordon Ramsay walked out on. It closed down in 2015.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W5O7TRTpesM

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat
I remember reading that something like 80% of restaurants fail and Ramsay's average was like 70% of the restaurants on his show have failed.

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

I read somewhere that even if you know what you're doing, being successful at a restaurant is still a long shot.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

This is all very true, but I'm in it to watch Gordon Ramsay scream at idiots.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Push El Burrito posted:

I remember reading that something like 80% of restaurants fail and Ramsay's average was like 70% of the restaurants on his show have failed.

I forget the exact numbers but people did try criticizing him for the failure rate of restaurants but yeah it's significantly better than the typical because

the_steve posted:

I read somewhere that even if you know what you're doing, being successful at a restaurant is still a long shot.

the failure rate of restaurants normally is over 90%. Again, I forget the exact numbers but restaurants actually succeeding and managing to last in the long term is the exception. Part of that is because a hell of a lot of people are like "well I hate working for somebody else I know I'll start a restaurant, how hard can it be?" Pretty drat hard, it turns out.

I think he might have walked out on a second restaurant but Amy's Baking Company was definitely the first he walked out on. He even said on the episode something to the effect of "I have never done this before but I'm walking out. You can't be helped. You don't want my help so there's nothing I can do for you." Apparently the Amy in question was in fact absurdly good at making desserts but terrible at everything else, bug gently caress insane, and married to a con artist.