Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Keyser_Soze
May 5, 2009

Pillbug
I wish there was a way to aggregate all 400 streaming services I use now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

astral
Apr 26, 2004

Keyser_Soze posted:

I wish there was a way to aggregate all 400 streaming services I use now.

It would be nice if more of them supported the TV app.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

I think it’s still lame first world problems that I have to rely on my PS4 if I want 4k YouTube

EconOutlines
Jul 3, 2004

CEC is a weird thing, especially with my ATV 4K. It's nice that the TV's volume control will work using the Apple remote, but my actual TV still has to be turned on manually.

I'm guessing this is normal for some things working and some things not?

ufarn
May 30, 2009
My TV turns on when I press the home button on my Apple Remote, but I think I had to connect it to the ARC HDMI port for it to work or some nonsense like that.

kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

Vizio broke CEC in their last update for my tv, it no longer powers down when i turn it off. Its been working for months and months without issue. Should have never updated. gently caress you vizio!!

EconOutlines posted:

CEC is a weird thing, especially with my ATV 4K. It's nice that the TV's volume control will work using the Apple remote, but my actual TV still has to be turned on manually.

I'm guessing this is normal for some things working and some things not?

Is the "control devices" or whatever setting turned on in your settings?

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
CEC is basically temperamental witchcraft. It works how it wants to, when it wants to.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Apple Music thinks I care about lyrics way more than I do

Edit: it is really cool feature, it just feels like something I should have to select rather than be half the screen.

smackfu fucked around with this message at 23:49 on Oct 18, 2019

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no
Once you turn it off once, it’ll stay off until you select it again.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)

priznat posted:

CEC is basically temperamental witchcraft. It works how it wants to, when it wants to.

I hate it but I'll grudgingly;y admit when it works its nice. The main thing I've done to fix it when it acts up is to cut power to all devices via my power strip, wait a few minutes and then power them back on.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down
What seems to be the purpose of the users on the AppleTV? I was hoping that if I switched users it’d use my sons YouTube and Plex profiles but nope, those aren’t changed at all. Is this only valuable if people have different purchases on different AppleIDs? Which seems useless since I would imagine most folks are using a Family plan.

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no
Different “up next” in TV and Music and different playlists and recommendations in Music spring to mind.

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back
I wish the iPad had a version of user sign ons. It is a pain you can’t share an iPad acrosss different Apple ids

Granite Octopus
Jun 24, 2008

Apparently the individual apps have to specifically support the new multiple user feature, otherwise they will behave the same as before. Kinda sucks since I doubt google will ever add support to the YouTube app

EconOutlines
Jul 3, 2004

kri kri posted:

Vizio broke CEC in their last update for my tv, it no longer powers down when i turn it off. Its been working for months and months without issue. Should have never updated. gently caress you vizio!!

Is the "control devices" or whatever setting turned on in your settings?

Thanks for that! LG calls it 'SIMPLINK' along with every other manufacturer giving it their own name. It doesn't help that it's nested well either. Works great!

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

astral posted:

It would be nice if more of them supported the TV app.

The TV app would be great except that it doesn't let me filter out the poo poo I can't watch right now without having to buy stuff. If there was just a strip of 'these movies are also good and you can rent them!' it'd accomplish the same thing and make me want to use it more than clicking on poo poo I want to see and being told 40% of the time I'd need to buy it.

Mr. Smile Face Hat
Sep 15, 2003

Praise be to China's Covid-Zero Policy
CEC has been working 100% from day one with my Sony TV and my Yamaha receiver and my Apple TV as well as all the Switch and the PS4. (The Xbox One doesn’t seem to support it, so that’s not a bug.)

Maybe some companies really have a better level of support or I’m super lucky.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

screamin and creamin posted:

CEC has been working 100% from day one with my Sony TV and my Yamaha receiver and my Apple TV as well as all the Switch and the PS4. (The Xbox One doesn’t seem to support it, so that’s not a bug.)

Maybe some companies really have a better level of support or I’m super lucky.

Yeah, I have my Bravia in my home office with the gen 4 aTV and CEC works great.

I also have upgraded the TVs in my bedroom and family room with TCL 4K TVs and CEC and ARC work great.

That being said, I had a Sharp Aquos previously that worked *just* often enough to drive me crazy.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

jokes posted:

The TV app would be great except that it doesn't let me filter out the poo poo I can't watch right now without having to buy stuff. If there was just a strip of 'these movies are also good and you can rent them!' it'd accomplish the same thing and make me want to use it more than clicking on poo poo I want to see and being told 40% of the time I'd need to buy it.

Yeah not being able to filter our rentals or purchases makes me not use it at all. It’s just a bunch of poo poo can’t watch.

Ultimate Mango
Jan 18, 2005

When do we have to start lighting one large round candle and two smaller ones in hopes that the Disney+ app doesn’t suck and integrates with the AppleTV app decently?

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I have three devices plugged into my Samsung tv:

•Two of them can turn on the TV when powered on
•Of those two, only the appletv can switch to the proper input
•All three devices will turn off the tv when they power down due to inactivity, even if I'm not on that input

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

If I could snap my fingers and create a consumer electronics device it would be an 8x2 HDMI matrix switch with every crappy vendor implementation of CEC accounted into it plus manual editing so it could un-gently caress CEC and make everything work

emdash
Oct 19, 2003

and?

Mahoning posted:

In the screensaver menu, there's an option for "Show during Music and Podcasts" with Yes or No as the option. If you change it to No does that prevent it from falling asleep?

This seemed to work, btw. Didn't have a chance to try it til today

Ultimate Mango
Jan 18, 2005

qirex posted:

If I could snap my fingers and create a consumer electronics device it would be an 8x2 HDMI matrix switch with every crappy vendor implementation of CEC accounted into it plus manual editing so it could un-gently caress CEC and make everything work

Yes please.

Kickstarter that poo poo, pat someone else to figure out how.

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007
Ironically the Fox Sports app is NOT streaming the World Series in 4K. Is it a question of infrastructure or something? The 4K broadcasts were at Yankee Stadium?

Or is it because the WS is on Fox broadcast and the ALCS was on FS1?

Either way I’m disappointed since Fox OTA is compressed to hell and back and looks like dogshit and I was hoping to flip on the AppleTV and see some sweet 4K but it’s just HD, albeit better than OTA.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

You need the FoxNow app I think, which is really fuckin weird. And I tried watching it, but the app just kept giving me a spinning loading circle when I opened it up. It did this trying to watch football on Sunday as well. Garbage.

astral
Apr 26, 2004

Ultimate Mango posted:

Yes please.

Kickstarter that poo poo, pat someone else to figure out how.

Goal: hire a technology wizard to try to solve the problem

Stretch goal: hire an actual wizard

emdash
Oct 19, 2003

and?

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

You need the FoxNow app I think, which is really fuckin weird. And I tried watching it, but the app just kept giving me a spinning loading circle when I opened it up. It did this trying to watch football on Sunday as well. Garbage.

FoxNow is working for me tonight, but it's HD and poor-looking at that . . . please post if you have any luck getting 4K anywhere

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie

emdash posted:

FoxNow is working for me tonight, but it's HD and poor-looking at that . . . please post if you have any luck getting 4K anywhere

I have an MLB.TV sub, and it does 4k 60FPS. The game tonight is the same Fox feed. Looks like poo poo just like on the Fox app or Youtube TV. It's a shame because the last series they had on looked awesome.

emdash
Oct 19, 2003

and?
I think Fox Deportes looked the best of the streams I tried, but maybe it was just confirmation bias

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Fox Now and Fox Sports look the same (both meh).

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

emdash posted:

Nope didn’t work for me Apple TV 3rd gen nor my 4K. Just a spinning load wheel.

It worked on my phone, however, and I AirPlayed to the ATV. Until I figured out that it cuts the stream off if you leave the app or lock your phone, which is really loving dumb.

The game sucked anyway so I watched naked gun instead.

Henrik Zetterberg fucked around with this message at 16:07 on Oct 24, 2019

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!
I have a mkv file in iCloud Drive. How do I play this on the Apple TV using just an iPad or iPhone?

I tried AirPlaying it but it just wouldn’t play on the TV (though it does on my phone, with the VLC app). I tried VLC on the Apple TV as well but there’s no way to browse iCloud Drive I guess. In VLC on the iPhone there’s an option to turn on a local server(?) which VLC on the TV can see but the stream dies every time the phone locks.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie
Convert with Handbrake and then you can properly airplay it.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

So if you're trying to AirPlay a video from your phone to your TV, both the phone and the TV/Apple TV have to support that codec/container?

kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

Boris Galerkin posted:

I have a mkv file in iCloud Drive. How do I play this on the Apple TV using just an iPad or iPhone?

I tried AirPlaying it but it just wouldn’t play on the TV (though it does on my phone, with the VLC app). I tried VLC on the Apple TV as well but there’s no way to browse iCloud Drive I guess. In VLC on the iPhone there’s an option to turn on a local server(?) which VLC on the TV can see but the stream dies every time the phone locks.

Infuse? Enable local files

puppy party
Sep 21, 2008
I’d anyone having issues with Netflix freezing recently? In the last few weeks the app will randomly freeze and time out and the only way I can fix it is by restarting the Apple TV (Gen 4, non 4K) I don’t have this issue with any other apps, only Netflix and it’s happening more frequently, up to 3 times in the course of one movie tonight.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

puppy party posted:

I’d anyone having issues with Netflix freezing recently? In the last few weeks the app will randomly freeze and time out and the only way I can fix it is by restarting the Apple TV (Gen 4, non 4K) I don’t have this issue with any other apps, only Netflix and it’s happening more frequently, up to 3 times in the course of one movie tonight.

I have the same TV and I am not having that issue.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Is there any easy way to use Siri to play Apple Music on the Apple TV? It seems like the voice search from the remote button only looks for video content.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Granite Octopus
Jun 24, 2008

smackfu posted:

Is there any easy way to use Siri to play Apple Music on the Apple TV? It seems like the voice search from the remote button only looks for video content.

I do this via Siri on my phone all the time. Like "Hey Siri, play Cool Hipster Band on the Apple TV". Never tried with the remote though.